Past 3. Marc Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

This is unnecessary. Murph's body has been belted by copping contact for many years. You contrast this to someone like Pendlebury, who has been a star of the game, but has never sustained severe contact injuries because he has not put his body into contests in the same way Murph has.
I am not responsible for what I see Marc doing on the field. I see him shirking contact. We all see it. Is it forgivable in context of his physical battering over the years? thats debatable. Can you see P Cripps doing the same in 5 years time when his body has taken its fair share?

I am not responsible for what I see Marc doing on the field. I see him shirking contact. We all see it. Is it forgivable in context of his physical battering over the years? thats debatable. Can you see P Cripps doing the same in 5 years time when his body has taken its fair share?
All I can suggest is that you are yet another one of our supporters (fortunately in the minority) who are very good at imagining something negative which does not exist. Thank goodness the majority of Carlton supporters are better than this.

All I can suggest is that you are yet another one of our supporters (fortunately in the minority) who are very good at imagining something negative which does not exist. Thank goodness the majority of Carlton supporters are better than this.
Suggest away. Kinda liked your posts over the years. Oh well.

Suggest away. Kinda liked your posts over the years. Oh well.
I originally referenced Pendlebury, drafted in the same year as Murph, because he has never sustained the collision injuries that Murph has. Early days Pendles was called 'handbrake' in some circles because he was good at pulling up when a collision seemed inevitable. I have seen dozens & dozens of players do similar over the journey, I even saw a Freo tall not fully commit to a mark just over a week ago, because it was inevitable he was going to cop some heavy body contact if he did. Is this shirking or is this self preservation/footy smarts?

I will exit this discussion by saying that Murph would not have played 250+ AFL games & earned the respect he has across the AFL community if he was guilty of what you suggest.

Murphy had a good game because he was played as a centre bounce midfielder and not on a flank or wing, you just can't compare the two roles.
J. Selwood is going through the exact same thing this year at Geelong with their supporters wondering if he has lost the passion, played in the guts last week and looked back to his old self.

People who don't think Murphy is in our best 22 just don't know football, in the right role he is our second best midfielder. Yes a few of the young guys are catching him and that is exactly how it should be.

I will put my hand up as one who thought the game had gone past the former skipper. I’m very glad to have been proved wrong. Best game I’ve seen from Murph for probably 5(?) years. Well done MM. You stuck it up me.

Certainly doesn't look to have lost that killer side step.

At his best one of the things I always remember is he has some of the best brakes in the business - which is not at all meant to be an insult, rather that he can suddenly stop from full speed, prop and turn almost all in an instant, completely catching the opposition off balance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember in his draft year the knock on him was supposedly his kicking skills. Utter tosh.
That is a couple of minutes out of a whole season, it shows what he is capable of, even though some of the highlights showed him missing targets and his team mates still making something out of it.

Still kicked plenty of floaters, kicks to the advantage of the defender and plenty under 30 metres to a contest in every single game.

For some reason Murph insists on trying short ‘touch’ kicks when he should kick through the ball to a longer target.

His kicking, unless he or his target are in acres of space, is mostly substandard.

That is a couple of minutes out of a whole season, it shows what he is capable of, even though some of the highlights showed him missing targets and his team mates still making something out of it.

Still kicked plenty of floaters, kicks to the advantage of the defender and plenty under 30 metres to a contest in every single game.

For some reason Murph insists on trying short ‘touch’ kicks when he should kick through the ball to a longer target.

His kicking, unless he or his target are in acres of space, is mostly substandard.
It's almost like chipping the ball softly makes it easier to make for the player leading into space. He hits it flat when he has to.

The rest of this is you casting an opinion of how the person who edited the package selected the footage. What a tragic disgrace that sound posters still choose to pot Marc Murphy as a player. Star of the game, and we're so lucky to have had him play for us.

It's almost like chipping the ball softly makes it easier to make for the player leading into space. He hits it flat when he has to.

The rest of this is you casting an opinion of how the person who edited the package selected the footage. What a tragic disgrace that sound posters still choose to pot Marc Murphy as a player. Star of the game, and we're so lucky to have had him play for us.
Murphy has lost what made him valuable, he chooses the wrong option, or he mis-kicks it, far more often than not and it is usually when he is kicking short. Disposal efficiency is a joke when a 20 metre kick to a contest, which your team loses, is still counted as effective. His disposal and choosing of options has been in decline for a couple of years. It is nothing to do with the editing of the package, it happened ... sometimes multiple times a quarter ... in every game this season.

No shame in the game passing you by, we will carry him for another 15+ games until he gets to 300. Murphy is not our future and he will struggle to be part of our present next season.

Agree we were lucky to have Murphy during our darkest days, it‘s well past time to move on from him as anything more than a peripheral cameo role player.

Murphy has lost what made him valuable, he chooses the wrong option, or he mis-kicks it, far more often than not and it is usually when he is kicking short. Disposal efficiency is a joke when a 20 metre kick to a contest, which your team loses, is still counted as effective. His disposal and choosing of options has been in decline for a couple of years. It is nothing to do with the editing of the package, it happened ... sometimes multiple times a quarter ... in every game this season.

No shame in the game passing you by, we will carry him for another 15+ games until he gets to 300. Murphy is not our future and he will struggle to be part of our present next season.

Agree we were lucky to have Murphy during our darkest days, it‘s well past time to move on from him as anything more than a peripheral cameo role player.
Murphy is not our future? That's like saying 'water is wet'.

He might retire at the end of 2021, but he will play every game when fit. His running this year was immense, that's why you saw some miskicks. Did you miss the way Cripps was kicking most of the year, or were you focussed trying to come up with reasons why Murphy should retire?

Questioning Murphy's decision making is also some of the most laughable content that exists in this sub-forum. If we genuinely put Murphy up on the market and he was happy with 1 year offers, there'd be 17 clubs calling his agent the next day.

Murphy is not our future? That's like saying 'water is wet'.

He might retire at the end of 2021, but he will play every game when fit. His running this year was immense, that's why you saw some miskicks. Did you miss the way Cripps was kicking most of the year, or were you focussed trying to come up with reasons why Murphy should retire?

Questioning Murphy's decision making is also some of the most laughable content that exists in this sub-forum. If we genuinely put Murphy up on the market and he was happy with 1 year offers, there'd be 17 clubs calling his agent the next day.
No there wouldn’t. With reduced lists and SC money available, there would be lucky to be one club that would want an almost 34 year old with questionable kicking.

Throw in his poor tackling technique and inability to stay over the ball or hold his feet in a contest and you may not find any suitors.

If Murphy had already played 300, unlikely he would have been allowed to play on next season and take up a list spot that could have kept a slowly developing kid like Macreadie on the list or avoided Kennedy having to come back through the rookie list.

Throw in his poor tackling technique and inability to stay over the ball or hold his feet in a contest and you may not find any suitors.
Busted hands that also see him fumble the ball from time to time, and the rest is conceding 10+kgs against many mids, and wasn't happening that often in 2020.

I stand corrected though: you're not sound at present.

Busted hands that also see him fumble the ball from time to time, and the rest is conceding 10+kgs against many mids
Yet 17 other teams would be offering him a contract if we didn’t?

Like I said, no shame in the game passing you by at 33, will be 34 halfway through next year.

No team in contention needs what he offers, no team rebuilding can afford it with SC and playing list reductions.

Being allowed to get to 300, nothing more

Now plays 1 decent game a month

Feel for him, has been belted every year, but still fronts up, admire that, but now releases the ball haphazardly when pressure comes

Will be tapped on the shoulder come end of next year
Ruthless clubs, ambitious clubs would have tapped him on the shoulder this year. The attainment of personal milestones is secondary to team success, even if it is our former captain. Poster here have a tendency to romanticise his on field value but it has been a while since he has played consistently good football.The club owes Marc nothing. He has been remunerated handsomely over the years. It another example of poor list management. Good to luck to Murphy for getting another year. Better not see him playing as an on baller or winger. Can do some creative things but his defensive work is a major liability. Forward pocket given our lack of options or VFL for me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back