Rookie 32. Matt Carroll

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Matt

Natural+Welcome+Printed+Coir+Doormat.jpg

Decent pick for a rookie. Seems to be a very conscientious and smart defender as in, he knows where to run and provide support.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he takes the game on from back there. Just finds the next option in the chain with no fuss.

I feel like he will be an efficient lock down small defender and as it stands we only have Cincotta playing that role although that wasn't his gig previously, Williams can lock down and go the other way and Boyd much the same.

Club/Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Position: Defender
Height: 188cm
Weight: 81kg
DOB: 28 November 2005

THE PERFECT early 18th birthday present 🎂

This boy reminds me of Grant Birchall. Lovely left peg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Six day's shy of his 18th birthday, Matt has a lot of upside. Currently 188cm's, could end up 192. Medium sized defender, could be ready to take Newmans role in a couple of years. Nice left peg and can just develop in the VFL for a couple of seasons. Will take that long to have the body to contest at AFL level, no need to rush him. Happy with this pick also.

Good onya Matt. Besides Matt and his family and our recruiters, i reckon the happiest man in the AFL right now will be Nic Newman. While having a breakout year himself onfield, he seems like a born assistant coach/developer in the making. He seems to love that side of the job, and i reckon Carroll looks like the ideal man for him to take under his wing. Not overly flashy Nic, but has all the intangibles to pass onto a mid defender like Matt. Plenty of smarts and game knowledge.

Nice rookie pick. Looking forward to seeing a player emerge who can get jobs/roles done and become a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back