VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

He was a class above but a little rusty. Copped a lot of physical attention but bounced up without complaint.
The other thing I’d say was Gus got better as the game went on.

How far off would Gus be from firsts on what you’ve seen - assuming ofc there is a spot there ?
I’m told he’s getting a bit frustrated that he’s not yet one of “Horse’s favourites”. And the injuries have been unlucky.

He’s clearly too good for the VFL. 30 disposals, 10 marks, and a pile of clearances in his first game back.

But is there a spot there?

I hope so- because West Coast will come knocking.

Last edited:
I’m told he’s getting a bit frustrated that he’s not yet one of “Horse’s favourites”. And the injuries have been unlucky.

He’s clearly too good for the VFL.

If we lose him, I will be devastated and the team cursed.

Twill be a grim epitaph on the headstone of Horse’s career..

Wonderful to have Gus back. Wish his team mates didn't keep giving him hospital passes.

Konstanty's best game so far? I think so. Can't remember another as good. His goals were quality, not gimmes.

Loved Lugsdin debut - made the most of his small opportunity. He plays a bit like a slighter Sheldrick.

I'm getting increasingly bullish not only about Buller but also about W.Edwards. There was that moment in the second half when the ball was kicked deep into an empty forward 50 and the Suns forward had a headstart on Edwards in the race to get to the ball. Edwards was quicker and caught up and shut the forward down and saved what could easily have been a goal. For a guy who is so big and strong (197 cm thank you very much) his speed is fantastic and his agility is fine too. He has the tools, we just have to keep developing him and he could be a very effective lockdown KPD.

Buller did brilliantly first game back, both with his goals and his bringing the ball to ground and his score involvements and even defensive pressure. The only thing I was undecided whether I like is when he looks unhappy with his teammates and umpiring e.g. when he glowered at poor delivery from the midfield.

Conversely I was much less impressed with Hamling. At this stage I think the only way he plays seniors is if we have a glut of injuries. Not only did they not bring in a like for like replacement for Rampe but if another defender went down (touch wood) he would not be in consideration for next player picked. It would be Francis and then probably Edwards before Hamling. Much more value in getting games into a youngster like Edwards ahead of Hamling. I think Hamling's value will be teaching the likes of Edwards and Snell, and if he does a good job of that then that is worth something. He's also break glass in event of emergency and will be able to play AFL if required (which you simply wouldn't do with Will Green at this point in time for example).

Strong performance, exciting game. We are not patsies in 2024 now that we have a relatively healthy list.

Sydney v Gold Coast

Midfielder Angus Sheldrick wasted little time in his return from a finger injury, leading the way with 30 possessions for Sydney in its 60-all draw against Gold Coast on Sunday.

Sheldrick, who played seven senior games last year, had 10 marks to go with five clearances, while Caleb Mitchell also impressed having been dropped from the senior side, having 25 disposals and two goals.

Corey Warner (20 disposals and four clearances) and West Australian midfielder Ben Edwards (25 and six) also had plenty of the ball.

Jacob Konstanty was the only multiple goalkicker for the Swans with three majors to go with six tackles, while ruckman Peter Ladhams had 18 touches, 10 hitouts and a goal.

Aaron Francis and Jack Buller also hit the scoreboard for the home side.

The Swans trailed by two points late in the game and could have stolen victory, with Konstanty and Jake Bartholomaeus kicking behinds in the dying stages to level the scores.

Just finished watching, amazing how non-stressful a draw is when you already know it's going to happen :p

None of our senior-listed players really looked out of their depth. I was impressed by Konstanty's ability to keep his feet under pressure, which I think is always a pretty good sign for a small forward (a big reason I think Papley's been so effective over his career.) Sheldrick looked good, though I was sad I was robbed of the chance to see him and Cleary work together. Mitchell looks really good at this level, still reminds me so much of early days McInerney, just want him to produce it at the highest level when he gets the chance.

We had our chances so was frustrating in that regard, a few connection issues between the mids and forwards, but that's the kind of game we'd have been beaten in badly last year, so can't complain too much.

He’s clearly too good for the VFL. 30 disposals, 10 marks, and a pile of clearances in his first game back.

Are we talking frustrated at his circumstances, or frustrated with Horse specifically?

If it's the former, then I'd say that's a good thing, and shows he has a hunger and competitiveness and determination to be more than just a VFL staple.

If it's the latter, that would suggest a bit of entitlement, which would seem to go against everything I've seen and heard about Sheldrick's character?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm remaining bullish on Will Edwards. I like how he moves and I think his defensive play is improving steadily. I hope he continues getting game time on the top VFL forwards from here like Sam Day and Levi Casboult yesterday because I reckon he could be a seniors defender in the next 18 months. He and Patrick Snell just look like prospective seniors defenders to me.

Club review of yesterday's draw

Despite a quiet half VFL head coach Damian Truslove was impressed by the team's contest work.

"We just had to improve our defence, particularly the slow play defence. We changed a few things to change our positioning," Truslove told Sydney Swans Media.

Sheldrick who sustained a finger injury in the preseason led the Swans with 30 disposals, 10 marks and three tackles.
"His pressure was outstanding, I thought it got better as the game went on," Truslove noted.

"To have Sheldrick back in the team after injury, he gave us a run around the ball."

In particular Truslove praised the backline citing Partick Snell, Will Edwards and Aaron Francis as standouts

I'm delighted to see a VFL update. I spoke to Tom Chadwick at the open training session 10 days ago and gave the media dept kudos for upping their game over the last several months. Then I added it would be good if they could give a little bit of coverage to the VFL. He didn't say anything - but actions speak louder than words!

I'm delighted to see a VFL update. I spoke to Tom Chadwick at the open training session 10 days ago and gave the media dept kudos for upping their game over the last several months. Then I added it would be good if they could give a little bit of coverage to the VFL. He didn't say anything - but actions speak louder than words!
Always doing the work for the masses Calli!

COACHES VOTES vs Gold Coast

9 Rory Atkins (GCS)
7 Angus Sheldrick (SYD)
Joel Jeffrey (GCS)
3 Sam Day (GCS)
3 Patrick Snell (SYD)
Caleb Mitchell (SYD)
Ben Edwards (SYD)
Caleb Graham (GCS)

Love your work, Calli!

COACHES VOTES vs Gold Coast

9 Rory Atkins (GCS)
7 Angus Sheldrick (SYD)
Joel Jeffrey (GCS)
3 Sam Day (GCS)
3 Patrick Snell (SYD)
Caleb Mitchell (SYD)
Ben Edwards (SYD) he played bloody well.
Caleb Graham (GCS)

Delighted to see Paddy recognised.

Snell looks a player

194cm to
I agree.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him debut later this year if we cop an injury or two amongst our key defenders.

Also like the look of Magor. Looks very composed off HB, moves well and is a good kick. We're pretty stacked in that position though. Any thoughts on if he defends well enough to potentially become our lock down small?

It wad interesting to see Green play defence. Didn't look our of place.

Congrats as well to Ben Edwards for picking up a vote. Toppies rarely get votes or mentions and this imo speaks volumes for how well he played. Is proving a solid acquisition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back