Opinion 2024 Round 1 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre season team selection is usually a very good indicator of our round 1 team.

The side is very likely to be the team we used in the first half of yesterday's game, plus a sub.

The only question mark for me is whether Soligo starts, he could have been brought back from injury only playing a half. And whether Keane replaces Borlase

Personally I think it will be the 22 from H1 yesterday, with Sholl as sub and Soligo in the 22. Borlase swapped with Keane
Soligo has to play, he was impressive in that half and has another fortnight on the track. We can sub him out if he blows up.

Peoples idiotic opinions about lightness aren't relevant. And who was available but missed matters because these selection decisions aren't made in a vacuum, as implied by AFC. Factors have to line up. Frampton was favoured ahead of TT, despite TT playing the final trial game. And that was 100% not a talent decision.

Agree. But that sort of goes against your original reasoning of continuity. It wasn’t like Frampton was an established senior type player. He got in on a better pre season and they felt he could impact games more straight away

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

prediction for the team lineup at first bounce

B: Josh Worrell, Jordon Butts, Max Michalanney
HB: Brodie Smith, Mark Keane, Wayne Milera
C: Chayce Jones, Jordan Dawson, Jake Soligo
HF: Rory Laird, Josh Rachele, Sam Berry
F: Chris Burgess, Taylor Walker, Darcy Fogarty

FOL: Reilly O'Brien, Matt Crouch , Izak Rankine

INT: Luke Pedlar, Lachlan Murphy, Mitch Hinge, Ben Keays

SUB: Lachie Sholl
Looks the likely team unless they make neddy sub.

Agree. But that sort of goes against your original reasoning of continuity. It wasn’t like Frampton was an established senior type player. He got in on a better pre season and they felt he could impact games more straight away

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Frampton had seniority and a more AFL hardened body, he'd been with us for 2 preseasons, had played a handful of games, knew our systems better. That's all part of continuity and it trumps talent. Still waiting to find out which available senior players missed selection.

Gollant not out of the question if Tex takes the the Forward ruck contests either.
Too much of a risk if ROB goes down.

Gollant a consideration when we rest Tex.

Round 1...

B: Michalanney, Butts, Keane
HB: Milera, Worrell, Hinge
C: Soligo, Dawson, Jones
HF: Berry, Walker, Keays
F: Rachele, Fogarty, Pedlar
R: O'Brien, Crouch, Rankine
I: Smith, Laird, Sholl, Burgess
Sub: Murphy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starting 3 I see - Dawson Laird Rankine

Then Matt off pine in next relief

Berry either plays forward then in to make it 5 main mid rotation or he plays as sub ( not good for his career )

Rachele / Pedlar are the v low minute mids for now

Soligo looks to be a lock for a the wing even though it’s prob not his best spot as they have to play him as he’s too good not to and we look a bit average on wings without him
With Soligo on wing, does this means Sholl misses out altogether?

Yeah I could live with this and Murphy can be the sub

Not entirely sure it happens but a very viable option

The key for me is making sure Rankine gets 40-50% midfield time so if it doesn’t undermine that I’m happy

I think in games we were on top for long periods but lost last year it was because we didn’t have that second string midfield relief and teams got run ons against us and we leaked goals in clusters , I’m hoping this is less likely this year with what we’ve got
Strongly agree Jeff. Bullseye!!

We ran harder than most teams last year to our detriment in many last quarters. (not all...but many. Especially in the warm weather games)

Too much of a risk if ROB goes down.

Gollant a consideration when we rest Tex.

Round 1...

B: Michalanney, Butts, Keane
HB: Milera, Worrell, Hinge
C: Soligo, Dawson, Jones
HF: Berry, Walker, Keays
F: Rachele, Fogarty, Pedlar
R: O'Brien, Crouch, Rankine
I: Smith, Laird, Sholl, Burgess
Sub: Murphy
With the quite possible exception of Himmelberg for Burgess, I think we have the 23. The only question then is who will be sub.

No Sholl has one wing. Jones on the other. Soli will be part of the mid rotations. He’s an inside mid that can go forward. Sholl is the distributor on the outside of the contest. He’s a natural wingman. Also has played himself into round 1 in that spot.

Hopefully. Lets just save ourself some time and not invest another 8-10 games into a soft rory atkins. Nicks loves the bloke but you know that he'll drop him for the rest of the year after a non tackle or squib that costs us a game. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Last edited:
Hopefully. Lets just save ourself sone time and not invest another 8-10 games into a soft rory atkins. Nicks loves the bloke but you know that he will drop he for the rest of the year after a non tackle or squib that costs us a game. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Does he? Nicks has dropped Sholl 3-4 times at this point. I doubt it's a Chayce Jones repeat.

That lack of strength just ends up hurting Sholl just way too much.

That would be my guess. Either that or Smith and Jones as starting wings with Soligo being rotated through. Feels like those three are our go-to wings.

Soligo has to play, he was impressive in that half and has another fortnight on the track. We can sub him out if he blows up.
We can sub him out even if he's best on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back