Opinion 2024 Round 1 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are worried about Soligo's ability to run out the game he could be a sub in/off option in round 1.

Looked classy when he came on later yesterday.
Not sure we should be worried , he’s got 2 weeks of training and was only off running for a fortnight

Reports say he is as prob our best in pre season too

Those 2 weeks off shouldn’t matter at all

Not sure we should be worried , he’s got 2 weeks of training and was only off running for a fortnight

Reports say he is as prob our best in pre season too

Those 2 weeks off shouldn’t matter at all
Personally I would still pick him in the 22, but just saying it could be a management option.

Can always sub off.

Agree with your side

Soligo plays , he looked good , has had a great pre season and has 2 weeks of training still
Soligo is in the first 10 picked. Unless Keane has concussion symtoms he will definitely play imo. Far superior to Borlase who fumbles way too much to be relied upon. Not a one grab player for some reason. The other concern is Butts, has poor kicking skills and looked to be labouring late in the game. Doesnt look fully fit but still probably a better option than Borlase. The other option is that we only play 1 tall in Keane and bring in Curtin for extra height down back. Depends how gc lineup up forward. If gc dont go tall up forward it might be better to go with Keane, Worrell, Curtin as we did against powaa.

Last edited:

I honestly doubt Sloane will be a starting best 22 player all season, perhaps as sub but will want to tear up the SANFL to get a gig at all is my feel. Loyalty should only go so far.

Agreed. But the pre game melts on here will be entertaining - and if he were to get a game…well how many pages will be dedicated to that!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Max Butts Worrell
Hinge Keane Milera
Soilgo Dawson Smith
Pedlar Walker Rachele
Rankine Fogarty Thilthorpe?

ROB Laird Crouch

Murphy Curtin/Sholl Jones Berry

Inj
Murray

Depth
Edwards Burgess Ryan McHenry Taylor Gollant Dowling Cook Sloane
Keays should be there to make 23

So Thilly out

F. Fogarty Burgess Rachele
Hf. Keays Walker Pedlar
C. Jones Crouch. Sholl
Hb. Milera Keane. Michalanney
B. Smith Butts. Worrell
R. O’Brien Dawson Rankine
I. Berry Laird Soligo Hinge
S. Murphy

Last edited:
Burgess like-for-like makes the most sense, he can chop out in the ruck too
I absolutely agree, and surely the selectors will too? I actually rate Burgess and wanted to find a way to get him in. A shame that it’s happened like this, but it could be the making of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horses for courses for me with filthy out. Might be Tex and fog and existing smalls an add another mid, could be cook, could be gollant, could be Burgess.

We’ve been playing Burgess fwd and EH back all summer haven’t we? I’d be shocked if we do a sudden 180
The question for me is whether we see Burgess as a legitimate chop out ruck. He was at Gold Coast and is a far better ruck than Himmelberg, but the coaches can have amnesia at times and may rate Himmelberg because he's taller and better known to them

The question for me is whether we see Burgess as a legitimate chop out ruck. He was at Gold Coast and is a far better ruck than Himmelberg, but the coaches can have amnesia at times and may rate Himmelberg because he's taller and better known to them
IIRC he played a bit of chop out ruck in the streamed match sim, so we must see that he has some value there

Surely we pick Burgess over Himmelberg. Would be an absolute disaster having to suffer through weeks of Himmelberg's crap
Burgess or Gollant i would say. The only other option would be to play Curtin up forward but probably not ready.

prediction for the team lineup at first bounce

B: Josh Worrell, Jordon Butts, Max Michalanney
HB: Brodie Smith, Mark Keane, Wayne Milera
C: Chayce Jones, Jordan Dawson, Jake Soligo
HF: Rory Laird, Josh Rachele, Sam Berry
F: Chris Burgess, Taylor Walker, Darcy Fogarty

FOL: Reilly O'Brien, Matt Crouch , Izak Rankine

INT: Luke Pedlar, Lachlan Murphy, Mitch Hinge, Ben Keays

SUB: Lachie Sholl

Surely we pick Burgess over Himmelberg. Would be an absolute disaster having to suffer through weeks of Himmelberg's crap
Burgess was an emergency yesterday, so it would suggest he's ahead of Himmelberg for that position (who has been training down back this pre season anyway). Even Gollant would be ahead of Himmelberg as a forward/ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back