Opinion 2024 Round 1 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

That's hardly surprising, defence looks fairly settled with Keane back in for Borlase. Those couple of late injuries in pre season have hurt Curtin, but would be still thinking a debut within the first few rounds is likely if decent SANFL form.

Keane/Butts as the KPDs
MM/Worrell as 3rd talls/interceptors
Smith/Hinge/Milera as the rebounders that also push higher up the ground

As frustrating as the RT injury is, his season is not done and we did recruit good depth in his area (Burgess) and already have another decent depth player that can play a similar role in Gollant. Didn't include Himmelberg as he's been training as a defender all pre season. Burgess obviously the most like for like replacement, but no issue if we went with Gollant and used him for 5-10% of the game in the ruck as a more mobile/ground level type.

So no TT for round 1.

Interesting who they go for
Following Hombsch's comments, I now think it will almost certainly be Burgess. He is ready to go and can chop out in ruck if needed.

Thankfully ROB is a player that loves to and is capable of rucking for most of the game

Kane McGoodwin, I think has nailed the 23 (barring further injuries). The only question is who will be sub.

I remember a few years ago a consensus emerged here as to the final 22, and that was confirmed come round 1. I sense we are in a similar position this year to predict the same, or very, very close to it!

Here is Kane's 23:

B: Michalanney, Butts, Keane
HB: Milera, Worrell, Hinge
C: Soligo, Dawson, Jones
HF: Berry, Walker, Keays
F: Rachele, Fogarty, Pedlar
R: O'Brien, Crouch, Rankine
I: Smith, Laird, Sholl, Burgess
Sub: Murphy

Following Hombsch's comments, I now think it will almost certainly be Burgess. He is ready to go and can chop out in ruck if needed.

Thankfully ROB is a player that loves to and is capable of rucking for most of the game

Kane McGoodwin, I think has nailed the 23 (barring further injuries). The only question is who will be sub.

I remember a few years ago a consensus emerged here as to the final 22, and that was confirmed come round 1. I sense we are in a similar position this year to predict the same, or very, very close to it!

Here is Kane's 23:

I like it – but imo believing Murphy is getting dropped for Round 1 (which is essentially what it means to be made sub) after being elevated to the leadership group is wishful thinking.

I like it – but imo believing Murphy is getting dropped for Round 1 (which is essentially what it means to be made sub) after being elevated to the leadership group is wishful thinking.
Agree he wont be dropped for McHenry.

Although, the other option is that Murphy is in the starting 22 and McHenry is the sub?

Agree he wont be dropped for McHenry.

Although, the other option is that Murphy is in the starting 22 and McHenry is the sub?
Unless I've gone blind, Ned wasn't in Kane's/Thylacinus' 23. So we can't drop him to make room for Murphy. I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy and Berry are swapped, and Berry comes on to add some physical power late on in a draining game.

Unless I've gone blind, Ned wasn't in Kane's/Thylacinus' 23. So we can't drop him to make room for Murphy. I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy and Berry are swapped, and Berry comes on to add some physical power late on in a draining game.
Berry was really good in the game vs the Eagles, it would be a mistake to not reward that form. He has to be in the starting 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Berry was really good in the game vs the Eagles, it would be a mistake to not reward that form. He has to be in the starting 22.
I sometimes think our outside notions of what "reward", "desert" etc are slightly skewed. Nicks would know Berry is playing well. I'm sure he's told him that. Surely selecting him as sub when he hasn't played since Round 10 would count as rewarding him?

Pretty clear run for Burgess to come in and really show what he’s got

He must be very excited and it’s a relief that our recruiters saw the need to go for him

Imagine how determined he will be round 1 against his old side (presuming he’s selected)
Will we play Burgess forward?

Gee I hope that surgery Thilthorpe has is minor and it fixes the problem with not a long time out. He was looking like he was going to be huge for us...sucks big time that he will be out for who knows how long

Here is Kane's 23:

ROB thrives on continuity and huge workload.

Yeah, most likely that Berry & Sholl fighting it out for sub, depending on the role we use Soligo.

Personally I would go Murphy, but unlikely given he is in the leadership group.

Yeah, most likely that Berry & Sholl fighting it out for sub, depending on the role we use Soligo.

Personally I would go Murphy, but unlikely given he is in the leadership group.

I saw in his interview recently he said:

“I have never felt comfortable at all," Murphy said.

"But this is just more confidence that regardless of how I am going form-wise, in the team or out of the team, this leadership group is built off leaders on and off the field.”

Made me actually wonder at the time if he was informed he mightnt always be in the team when accepting the role…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could someone please help me understand how the Gold Coast Suns Play Richmond in an opening round at Hermitage Bank Stadium (Gold Coast) this Saturday March 9 at 3.30pm, and then play the Crows in round one Saturday 16th of March at Hermitage Stadium (Gold Coast) at 7.10 pm. What is the difference between opening round and round one and are both for home and away points?

Could someone please help me understand how the Gold Coast Suns Play Richmond in an opening round at Hermitage Bank Stadium (Gold Coast) this Saturday March 9 at 3.30pm, and then play the Crows in round one Saturday 16th of March at Hermitage Stadium (Gold Coast) at 7.10 pm. What is the difference between opening round and round one and are both for home and away points?
Yes, the afl trying to take advantage of the nrl being in Vegas.
Was an afterthought, those 8 teams will have a bye in the early part of the season.
They should have had every team playing next weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back