Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 's**t posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

Pitto gets under his skin for some reason
I think Gawn likes to be the strongest guy in the ruck and doesn't like it when he isn't. He looks for frees a lot when he isn't getting his way - which admittedly isn't often, he's a gun, but it's not the first time I've seen him act like this when being beaten (or at least nullified)

The errors are not a one off and the best don't make them. We are good side but I am looking at this through a premiership lense
Where were we this time last year? Did we have any hope of making a prelim?

The night is young, anything can and will happen.

Shits me no end too. I just take it as a sign that we are pretty bloody good and a contender. They don’t want us to actually be good again.
They want us to go back to being their whipping boys so they can feel big and tough.

Weird!

Ask anyone who actually knows a thing or 2 about high performance and I bet you get a different take.

What your post does highlight though is you know very little about high performance, sports science and player management.

I will just ask you this 1 question.

How many teams get players doing hamstrings? If the answer is more than 9 there’s a clue!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I am in fact very much aware of high performance, sports science and player management. Very aware. I also know that Andrew Russell has mismanaged a number of players with soft tissue injuries. I know a lot of people in the industry who have the exact same views as I do. There appears to be a refusal to go down the eccentric stimulus route, siding with the (incorrect) view that hamstring strains occur quasi-isometrically. However all the current literature suggests strong eccentric strengthening programs to rehabilitate and ensure robust hamstring muscle tissue. Those that think otherwise need only to look at the litany of research indicating that eccentric stimulus is a no-brainer, and early exposure post-injury too.

All teams sustain hamstring injuries, but what's happening at Carlton is farcical. To have Cerra strain his hamstring having been cleared to play after rehabbing from another hamstring injury is just not good enough.

A common factor I’ve noticed in the last three matches is us being undone by individual stars. Cameron, Daicos, Petracca. Are our coaches failing to identify and lock down individual players, or are our players not exercising instructions properly? Are we identifying and locking down the wrong players? Too offensively focused? Or are they just too good? Thoughts?

Pretty tough to combat, sometimes when a star player is on he's on and it doesn't really matter who you put on him, they won't stop him. You need a combined effort to curb their influence.
It was why in the "bad ole days", they would deliberately target star players from the opposing side.
One of the marks Petracca took in the 2nd qtr with the one hand tap and mark technique, that was superb judgement to realise quickly that he would not reach the ball with both hands. Gov moved back off him as he felt it would go over the top of Petracca which it probably would have if he had gone both hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes a top 6 side, which is not the worst. The Voss era is successful. I am looking at this through a premiership lense, and have my doubts.

Same, if we were able to get somewhere near our best team on the park consistently I’d be quietly confident. But that’s a miracle at our club

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Genuine reply here and public service message. I’m relatively fit but ‘overstrained’ myself at the end of the semi final against Dees last year. Had a bit of a heart/ health scare because of it.

People, take care of yourselves and your health. Blues are one of my loves but my life is important.
Hoping that your sense if humour survived intact.

It's very lucky that your brother "grim" wasn't there that night.

There are legitimately 6 sides at this point that are in the hunt, Geelong, GWS, Collingwood, Sydney, Melbourne and us.

This early in the season I'll be satisfied with any type of victory against any of the contenders. We are 2 and 2 from the last 4 weeks against four of those sides with Sydney to come this week.

Collingwood are 1-2, Melbourne are 1-2, GWS are 1-2, Geelong are 1-1 and Sydney are performing the best at 3-0. We've played more contenders than the rest.

We are doing ok.

Any thoughts on Bozo Taylor's comments about Brody Kemp deliberately driving his own head into the turf to receive a free kick last night?
Who would do such a stupid thing?

I did think conversation about Owies mid tackle dive last week against the Pies was warranted though.
Ridiculous, sensationalist journalism. Had his left knee taken out, his left arm pinned. No way to brace himself once JVR fell into his back.

The whole coaching group need to have a really hard look at themselves.

They have over thought this game modes training stuff. We played for a quarter and a half trying to waste time.

It is the reason we always win by only a goal (Or lose by a goal). If we're 3+ goals up in the last quarter the directive is to slow the game down and waste time which is just so dangerous and has cost us the Adelaide game already.

We're lucky it hasn't cost us quite a few more including the final against Sydney. We should be coaching our players to be desperate right to the end. If we can "manage" the last 3 minutes of a game great but what we're doing is crazy.
I couldn’t agree more, others like sky horse tamer have made similar points in this thread. We are trying to “hold on” for far too long and because of this, we are the most susceptible of the top 6 or so teams to losing a game when 3-4 goals up.

You see it in every sport, with teams like Brady’s NE Patriots or peak Fergie ManU. The team that has outplayed them for the bulk of the game become too conservative too early and they smell blood. It’s a mindset change that can be difficult to undo.

We are clearly extremely well coached at closing out games in the last minute or so (whether we are up or down by less than a goal), but we change mode way too early in games.

I saw it very much the same

Question I have is over last two weeks it was obvious early to most that the only chance the opposition had to win was for their Star player to step up. Last week N.Daicos and last night Petracca.

I'd like to know WHY we don't have someone sit on them?
Times like these I miss having someone like Ed Curnow. Was a reliable stopper, while capable of getting 20-30 himself.

Back