Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to cheer everyone up after yesterday.

Oliver Depaoli-Kubank had 28 and kicked 1.5 from the midfield in Tassies smashing of the Stingrays yesterday. He also won the Kevin Sheehan medal for the Div 2 MVP in the u16 carnival a few years ago.

Reliably informed (like Jack Callinan), he was in our NGA Academy from u12's and would be draft eligible.

But, we shut the academy post covid.

So is now ineligible as we haven't maintained the required contact and completed the required involvement with the Tassie prospects for years now.

I'm so ropable at this club at the minute, with just about every department of it....
You could have had a pot of gold with the Tasmanian NGA Academy. McKercher, Leake, Sanders, Cowan, Campbell and Schoenmaker (if you’d decided to draft him but I tend to think it would have been a no).

Oliver Depaoli-Kubank had 28 and kicked 1.5 from the midfield in Tassies smashing of the Stingrays yesterday. He also won the Kevin Sheehan medal for the Div 2 MVP in the u16 carnival a few years ago.

Reliably informed (like Jack Callinan), he was in our NGA Academy from u12's and would be draft eligible.

So is now ineligible as we haven't maintained the required contact and completed the required involvement with the Tassie prospects for years now.

I'm so ropable at this club at the minute, with just about every department of it....
We are not giving ourselves every conceivable chance to improve IMO. Amateur hour.

You could have had a pot of gold with the Tasmanian NGA Academy. McKercher, Leake, Sanders, Cowan, Campbell and Schoenmaker (if you’d decided to draft him but I tend to think it would have been a no).

Nah, not how it works.

To qualify for our Tassie NGA you have to have Indigenous heritage.

Was it asked in the Q & A why we pulled out

I'm not sure who they are but I was told that there are a couple of draftable kids in next years draft class that also would've been eligible.

Just a laughable situation all round really.

I'm not sure who they are but I was told that there are a couple of draftable kids in next years draft class that also would've been eligible.

Just a laughable situation all round really.
Keep hearing the club saying we have all our pillars in place etc. but it's hard to see what they are actually doing. What's the plan post Tassie?

It wasn’t always the case. I knew people and had friends in the academy who weren’t Indigenous. It died in 2019 when the Devils emerged and was killed off during the pandemic.

Not sure if it is the case across the board but North could have any number of kids in the academy as a community outreach program but to be actually considered for a draft bid then needed to be classified Indigenous or having a parent from another country (much like Mitch Owens for example, a parent of Japanese descent). It's why Riley Sanders could be listed but not Colby McKercher who also spent time in the academy young.

Why what is your opinion. So what are you are saying that know one at the NMFC from the President down are trying hard enough to improve us.
I'm not saying that at all. I am saying that our club does not use every lever available to improve our list. How could we possibly think it smart to close our NGA academy down in TAS? It's just stupidity.

EDIT.......also the PSD we could have used as leverage on things. We are the nice guys and get treated with contempt for it. Watch clubs now "float" the idea "Do we really need North Melbourne in the comp?..." That'll be next. Can bank on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After picking Duursma over Sanders do you think he would want to come to North. We have a much chance of getting him as we have of getting Reid. if he leaves WC he will go to a bigger club than us..
He is mates with Sheezel and McKercher....wouldn't hurt to ask, at least he'd be playing in the 1s and not have to worry about crazy Bevo playing him out of position or subbing him out while BOG.

Keep hearing the club saying we have all our pillars in place etc. but it's hard to see what they are actually doing. What's the plan post Tassie?

Of all the things we are facing at the moment, this one is the biggest concern for mine. There has literally been zero talk as to the strategies we are going to employ to get through the transition period once Tassie come along.

Another strong inside mid performance from Langford. His team struggled to cope with the pressure being applied by Tassie, but Langford was able to win stoppages and find enough space to drive his team forward with his penetrating left foot.

Fantastic work mate! Have heard a few whispers that Langford will be one who has the potential to push the top ten if he does well at the champs.

Any chance you could add Joe Berry’s from Murray’s game from the weekend to your to do list? He is starting to rocket up draft boards, especially due to the lack of depth in the small forwards in this draft.

WTF Sphynx. Why are you doing this to us?

Fantastic work mate! Have heard a few whispers that Langford will be one who has the potential to push the top ten if he does well at the champs.

Any chance you could add Joe Berry’s from Murray’s game from the weekend to your to do list? He is starting to rocket up draft boards, especially due to the lack of depth in the small forwards in this draft.
Wouldnt surprise me at all there's lot to his game. A (mostly) nice left foot, 190cm and able to influence contests, good pace, strong overhead. Not the smoothest and most perfectly coordinated prospect but the rest is there.

I'm not saying that at all. I am saying that our club does not use every lever available to improve our list. How could we possibly think it smart to close our NGA academy down in TAS? It's just stupidity.

EDIT.......also the PSD we could have used as leverage on things. We are the nice guys and get treated with contempt for it. Watch clubs now "float" the idea "Do we really need North Melbourne in the comp?..." That'll be next. Can bank on it.
There will NOT be one club that will come out and say we don't need the NMFC .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back