Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Fwiw Smillie is a * supporter, but more than happy to come to north. I’m never an ITK but in this instance have a contact, not that this is earth shattering news.

Last edited:
Our need for a KPD is overrated. You take Smillie every day of the week. Work your way back into the mid/late first round and the tall prospects will be there, like Dawson last year.

Trainor at Pick 19? Are you serious? Lol!!! What are you going to do Chairman, threaten every other club and their families with death if they select him?

Are you asking me or the CHAIRMAN, i'm a nice peace loving bystander but the CHAIRMAN.....

Usually, kp players drops down unless they are the top of the pile like king, walter, ugle-hagan.

Trainar is a key defender too, which will drop him down further.

It's not completely out of the question that we end up with both. If Cam Zuurhar leaves his contract might be enough for band 1 compensation or more likely if LDU asks for a trade then a pick within the top 5 is a very realistic minimum demand from us.

Nah, ldu going won't be approved unless it's wc trading for tim kelly or geelong for cameron type deal.

LDU is a guaranteed band 1 and by next year, it will still be a top 4 pick.

Our need for a KPD is overrated. You take Smillie every day of the week. Work your way back into the mid/late first round and the tall prospects will be there, like Dawson last year.

Correct, kpd are quite easy to obtain, logue, corr, walker to name a few.

These three would be quite decent in a top 4 side too.

Correct, kpd are quite easy to obtain, logue, corr, walker to name a few.

These three would be quite decent in a top 4 side too.

And there’s even less 6”5 genuine midfielders.

One has a Brownlow.

One is one of the better players of the last 20 years not to have won one yet.

The other probably will win one by the end of his career

If one more West Coast fan thanks me for winning the last game v GC I will spew up.
Just tell them they got Cam Rayner and we got Colby McBennyCousins.. soon shuts them up.

And there’s even less 6”5 genuine midfielders.

One has a Brownlow.

One is one of the better players of the last 20 years not to have won one yet.

The other probably will win one by the end of his career

Correct, hence i said smilie is a must, an absolute must.

Reposting, put it in the wrong thread silly me.

The dynamic and powerful Kako continues to impress in 2024. Once he got a couple of early fumbles out of his system his clean marking was a feature in this game, as well as his quick and decisive decision making. He kicked three goals and it could have been more if he'd nailed a couple of relatively straight forward chances late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smillie isn't at all Dangerfield. Isn't all that explosive. He is more of a big bodied, strong inside mid in the Tom Green/Patty Cripps mould. Totally different players.
If we lose LDU, I think he might fill an important gap for us physically around stoppages then. Mind you, I would be shattered if LDU left, I thought he was the most talented player in his draft and am still convinced that's the case especially if he got a bit more protection around the contest. Any views on Smilie's leadership potential?

A couple of my other favourites had solid games on the weekend in the Coates League.

Harvey Langford (tall midfielder/utility) - 28 disposals, kicked 3.1, 4 marks, 5 tackles, 3 inside 50's

Cody Anderson (physical inside midfielder) - 33 disposals, kicked 1.1, 7 tackles, 6 inside 50's.
Thoughts on Cooper Hynes ? He’s puting together a very good start to the year for the Rays .

Whilst he's not Bont in his disposal and movement.

He's a better athlete than Cripps and Green imo.

But I also don't think he's the pure contested beast these two are.

Some of his agility, lateral movement and ability to just break congestion are super impressive for 194cm.

People will hate this comparison, but with his long trunk he moves quite a bit like Adam McPhee. Crazy thing is, Smillie is 2" bigger than he was.
Excellent comparison

If we lose LDU, I think he might fill an important gap for us physically around stoppages then. Mind you, I would be shattered if LDU left, I thought he was the most talented player in his draft and am still convinced that's the case especially if he got a bit more protection around the contest. Any views on Smilie's leadership potential?

I think Smillie will fill an important gap regardless of whether LDU leaves or not. We need a big bodied competitor in there and having one that’s 194cm is a big point of difference for our midfield.

From a leadership perspective he looks really good, he is the captain at the Ranges this year and I think he captained the academy squad for the first VFL game. He is hard trainer, really good understanding of the game, popular with teammates and has an appetite to learn.

Thoughts on Cooper Hynes ? He’s puting together a very good start to the year for the Rays .

Like his partner in crime/co-captain Harvey Langford, he offers a point of difference with his height (189-190cm) through the midfield. He moves well and is very physical. He is one to watch for VIC Country, curious to see how he goes when he steps up to that level.

Are you asking me or the CHAIRMAN, i'm a nice peace loving bystander but the CHAIRMAN.....

Usually, kp players drops down unless they are the top of the pile like king, walter, ugle-hagan.

Trainar is a key defender too, which will drop him down further.

You're dreaming

River Stevens we can get with a later pick in the draft as a Father/Son. Small forward at Geelong Falcons. Smillie, Trainor, one of Shanahan/Jack Whitlock and Stevens.
You reckon Stevens will be a 1st rounder or late 2nd? Eitherway, we'll probably pick him but Kako is ahead of Stevens and a player that we have clearly not drafted for since LT left - clevery small forwards aren't midfielders converted, how many have we tried over the years?

My dream draft picks this year with another priority/assistenance package would be:
Smillie - another midfielder but at 194/5, this kid ain't some KPP wanting to play midfield :heavycheck:
Trainor - KPD who can swing KPF like a Harrison Petty..what else do you want.:heavycheck:
Jack Whitlock - lead out 200cm KPF, yeah baby and if we could snag if twin, then that's another KPD!!:heavycheck:
Kako - cleverst small forward at the moment, yes yes I haven't seen Champion and Hotton is a possiblity even Moraes but we need a goal sneak.:heavycheck:

That would pretty much fill every position we've draft with 1st rounders!!

You reckon Stevens will be a 1st rounder or late 2nd? Eitherway, we'll probably pick him but Kako is ahead of Stevens and a player that we have clearly not drafted for since LT left - clevery small forwards aren't midfielders converted, how many have we tried over the years?

My dream draft picks this year with another priority/assistenance package would be:
Smillie - another midfielder but at 194/5, this kid ain't some KPP wanting to play midfield :heavycheck:
Trainor - KPD who can swing KPF like a Harrison Petty..what else do you want.:heavycheck:
Jack Whitlock - lead out 200cm KPF, yeah baby and if we could snag if twin, then that's another KPD!!:heavycheck:
Kako - cleverst small forward at the moment, yes yes I haven't seen Champion and Hotton is a possiblity even Moraes but we need a goal sneak.:heavycheck:

That would pretty much fill every position we've draft with 1st rounders!!

Living in fairy land mate. How many 1st round draft picks do you think we're going to have?

I doubt we will be getting any further draft assistance this year on top of what we were already given last year and I would be shocked if we landed pick 2 for Zurhaar. So unless we are trading next years 1st into this year, which by all reports would be a bad idea, I don't see how we are picking up all of these draftees.

Living in fairy land mate. How many 1st round draft picks do you think we're going to have?

I doubt we will be getting any further draft assistance this year on top of what we were already given last year and I would be shocked if we landed pick 2 for Zurhaar. So unless we are trading next years 1st into this year, which by all reports would be a bad idea, I don't see how we are picking up all of these draftees.
We'll have a few...you honestly think we won't asking for assistence again? Year is still young but if we end up with just one win and the 2nd last team as 3 or 4 wins..then we have a case again!

Its rare to see such a large discrepancy between and individual and team performance. In a game in which his Chargers team were belted by nearly 100 points, Jagga was unstoppable for most of the day, slicing through stoppages like a surgeon with a scalpel and setting up his team with opportunities they failed to capitalize on. The one criticism you could make is that he contributed to the lack of defensive pressure around the footy by Oakleigh, only laying one tackle for the game.

He'd be just the type of player LDU would want around him imo

We'll have a few...you honestly think we won't asking for assistence again? Year is still young but if we end up with just one win and the 2nd last team as 3 or 4 wins..then we have a case again!

As far as the AFL is concerned, we have already received our assistance for this year with 2 end of 1st round draft picks which we traded last year.

Just curious from those who draft watch closer than i, how does the current crop compare with Harley Reid. Just wondering if for some reason he said he wanted to come home would our pick 1 be a fair swap?
LDU, Wardlaw, Powell and Reid would be pretty exciting. Id add Phillips who i still think will make it and be a valuable asset, but thats not the focus of this post. Its pick 1 for Reid, who would win/lose from that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back