List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Would we shift our Gulden offer over to Hugh McCluggage?

Supposedly has a 6 year offer on the table from Brisbane but he might feel that their peak has passed. A few guys getting older.

Here’s a batshit crazy what the actual f**k is this football club doing? stat, 11 players with no contract for next year will all have played an AFL game this season;

1. Walker
  2. Smith
  3. McHenry
  4. Hamill
  5. Sholl
  6. Parnell
  7. Himmelberg
  8. Cook
  9. Borlase
  10. Gollant
  11. Berry
Why is that an issue?

Would be happening in clubs across the league.

Why is that an issue?

Would be happening in clubs across the league.
I think the difference would be that while most clubs might have a list of 10-12 players coming out of contract, they would also want to re-sign at least 5-6 of them… this is hardly the case with our list of players coming out of contract.

Other than Tex, who may or may not go on next year anyhow, who else would we be desperate to sign on that list? Cook and Berry might be the best of the bunch but there are big questions over whether or not they will ultimately become consistent - let alone very good - senior players… it really does seem that we are a ways off building a squad capable of playing consistent finals football.

And he’s still a luxury player, we overpaid for at the wrong time in our cycle

I think you'll find he was the final piece to our best in league premiership squad, an absolute coup to get him at price no object

Looking around the league and thinking about our list compared to what has been available in recent years and you have to wonder what the hell we smoke at West Lakes. It must be some seriously good s**t.

Peter Wright - for a future 4th round pick. Would be pretty handy in our forward line about now.

Elijah Hollands - and a future 4th round pick for a 3rd round pick. Would also be pretty handy yes?

Of course we managed to keep guys like Himmelberg and Murphy on the list, so yay us! Well done.
Obviously our list is absolutely stacked and we can't possibly find room for anyone else.

Looking around the league and thinking about our list compared to what has been available in recent years and you have to wonder what the hell we smoke at West Lakes. It must be some seriously good s**t.

Peter Wright - for a future 4th round pick. Would be pretty handy in our forward line about now.

Elijah Hollands - and a future 4th round pick for a 3rd round pick. Would also be pretty handy yes?

Of course we managed to keep guys like Himmelberg and Murphy on the list, so yay us! Well done.
Obviously our list is absolutely stacked and we can't possibly find room for anyone else.
What about a 28 year old journeyman tall defender playing forward in the VFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's because we have to take what we can get. Our club isn't attractive to the players we need sadly.

We could have played hard ball and gotten him for less, and because it wasn't that critical a move it was worth the slight risk of the deal falling through.

Instead we continued to misread everything, and caved for the high offer.

We could have played hard ball and gotten him for less, and because it wasn't that critical a move it was worth the slight risk of the deal falling through.

We didn't cave on Rankine at all, we came out early and said we were willing to give up pick 5 for him no worries

Rankine wanted a fair compensation which is why we always offered our pick 5 and GCS sat on it for the entire trade period.

We're going badly enough that you'd look at pretty much every player in the league
Given we have so many players out of contract I'm almost resigned to the fact they'll give guys like McHenry a 1-2 year extension because of that all important "experience" factor, but we should really look at a short term free agency boost instead.

Given we have so many players out of contract I'm almost resigned to the fact they'll give guys like McHenry a 1-2 year extension because of that all important "experience" factor, but we should really look at a short term free agency boost instead.
We need multiple players as have players finishing up, and heaps of players in the team out of their depth not up to it.

Worrell ~ Murray ~ Michalanney
Hinge ~ Keane ~ Curtin
Nankervis ~ Dawson ~ Edwards
?? (Obrien) ~ Soligo ~ Rachele
Rankine ~ Fogarty ~ Dowling
Pedlar ~ Thilthorpe ~ Cook
Ryan ~ Berry ~ Keays ~ Schoenberg
Jones

These are pretty much the only players I have interested in our list.
And even then Obrien, Cook, Berry, Keays, Schoenberg and Jones are lucky to be here.

So in my mind we need to find at least 4 decent players to become a top side.

:hearts::hearts:

Don't be forgetting my guy...

AFL Draft 2024: Top prospect Sam Lalor kicks seven goals in return from injury for Geelong Grammar​

He is known as a midfielder, but this top-10 prospect dominated up forward for Geelong Grammar in his return from injury. And an emerging cricket star proved he is also handy with the Sherrin.

Sam Lalor made an emphatic return. Picture: Alan Barber

Sam Lalor made an emphatic return. Picture: Alan Barber

Sport

Don't miss out on the headlines from Sport. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Unfollow
Top draft prospect Sam Lalor made a stunning return from injury in Geelong Grammar’s season-opener against Wesley College, booting seven goals in his side’s narrow loss.
The Bacchus Marsh product had been kept out of action with both the AFL Academy and Coates League club GWV Rebels but made an emphatic statement in his first game of the year, kicking 7.3 and tallying 19 disposals, 10 contested possessions, five tackles and 141 Premier Data ranking points.
With limited match fitness, Lalor played the majority of the first half through the midfield, kicking a goal, before he began cramping and was moved forward.
The bullocking 187cm midfielder went on to kick six goals in the second half, proving his worth as a potential top 10 talent in this year’s draft.
Geelong Grammar football director Troy Selwood said AFL recruiters watching on went in with low expectations but were thoroughly impressed by his display.
Lalor shoots for goal. Picture: Alan Barber

Lalor shoots for goal. Picture: Alan Barber
“They probably were tempering their expectations as to what he might put out as a first up run, but to be able to still find a way to really contribute despite being under duress in the second half, I think that really pleased the people watching,” Selwood said.
“Definitely was one of the more dominant performances I have seen at schoolboys football but obviously there is a lot more improvement left in his game once he gets some proper conditioning over the next month.
“It was quite impressive, he was still very short of a gallop but was able to show probably people who were watching that he has the ability to go forward and be a dangerous option inside forward 50.”

Where’s Mutineer at? Haven’t seen him in a while. Hope all is ok. A big part of this board.

See above. He was around today

We need multiple players as have players finishing up, and heaps of players in the team out of their depth not up to it.

Worrell ~ Murray ~ Michalanney
Hinge ~ Keane ~ Curtin
Nankervis ~ Dawson ~ Edwards
?? (Obrien) ~ Soligo ~ Rachele
Rankine ~ Fogarty ~ Dowling
Pedlar ~ Thilthorpe ~ Cook
Ryan ~ Berry ~ Keays ~ Schoenberg
Jones

These are pretty much the only players I have interested in our list.
And even then Obrien, Cook, Berry, Keays, Schoenberg and Jones are lucky to be here.

So in my mind we need to find at least 4 decent players to become a top side.
Whilst I have high hopes for Edwards, Dowling and Ryan , their all untried at afl level at this point .

And Jones is a “trade to Tassie asap” in my book . Not a very good footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back