• McDonald

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 90 54.5%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 10 6.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Treacy has been great but the past 2 weeks were the dogs who have a notoriously s**t defense, especially for talls - there was a point where i'd just take kpfs to kick goals against them on the punt every week.

And Richmond who are playing 2 absolute battlers as kpd thanks to injuries

Luckily it's the swans next up who have struggled with height (lobb would kill em when we played + Treacy and dogga did well last year) + the swans are missing their #1 kpd - unfortunately it's gonna rain though

But yeah, those 3 teams are probably 3 of the most susceptible to kpfs In the league

Very pleased still though as ya still gotta kick the goals

Treacy has been great but the past 2 weeks were the dogs who have a notoriously s**t defense, especially for talls - there was a point where i'd just take kpfs to kick goals against them on the punt every week.

Luckily it's the swans next up who have struggled with height (lobb would kill em when we played + Treacy and dogga did well last year) + the swans are missing their #1 kpd - unfortunately it's gonna rain though

But yeah, those 3 teams are probably 3 of the most susceptible to kpfs In the league

I have that in the back of my mind as well but that’s what you want from your 21 year old KPF, beat up the average KPDs. In 3-4 years he’ll beat up the good ones.

I expect Treacy to regress a bit for the rest of the year but there’s enough there to be excited he can kick 50+ goals a year which is just massive

Last edited:
If his mitts remain sticky, he's a gun, simple as that.

As an aside, has anyone ever thought that Dogga should get his eyes tested? I'm no optometrist, but when he's not clunking them he seems to slightly misread the ball in flight and have wondered if he's not seeing them as well as he might.

Pure speculation obviously.

He was really good vs Port

He was really good vs Port
Port are a bit the same though, well they did atleast revamp their backline this year (as it was a known weakness) but umm let's just say my thoughts on Rat and BZT haven't changed now they are in a better side.

I genuinely don't rate either of them but Aliir is a star

Edit: if you want to point to a game though, 3 goals against brissy is very nice imo

I’m still more than happy if freo can’t get an elite small forward or a Warner type. Take those 3 picks to the draft. Suns lions crows & blues will need points could to turn 3 into 2 in top 10.

It’s a great position to be in

I’m still more than happy if freo can’t get an elite small forward or a Warner type. Take those 3 picks to the draft. Suns lions crows & blues will need points could to turn 3 into 2 in top 10.

It’s a great position to be in
Crows will be interesting, I think they will hope they can take a pick ahead of Welsh. Brisbane will definitely want to break up their pick IMO, not sure anyone else goes top 10 but we'll see

Are you kidding? He's an absolutely brilliant kick for a key position player.
I am not kidding and I rarely go negative, especially with a newbie, but he turns it over a fair bit. You are correct in saying he has a good kicking action and I think, with more game time, he will quite quickly fix what is going wrong at present; ie, biting off more than he can chew, occasional misdirection.

Don't get me wrong. I am super stoked with what he is bringing and am pretty convinced we have a winner.

Every time I see Baker's rat face, it annoys me that we will pay overs for him.

Because he's good but he's not first round good. He's bread and butter.

If you wanted a highly punchable head who genuinely hurts sides, rather than running around nipping away like a demented Jack Russell, you chuck a couple of picks at Warner.

I look at Baker and I see a bloke who's happy he could skip out early on his sparky apprenticeship, who absolutely loves West Coast and who has way more jetskis than he really needs. Just that angry ant forever barrelling oppo over the sideline.

I look at Warner and I see a bloke who's happy with himself and why the heck not.

Let's look at these two blokes and ask the only Freo recruiting question that matters: "Is he mates with Dogga?"

I am not kidding and I rarely go negative, especially with a newbie, but he turns it over a fair bit. You are correct in saying he has a good kicking action and I think, with more game time, he will quite quickly fix what is going wrong at present; ie, biting off more than he can chew, occasional misdirection.

Don't get me wrong. I am super stoked with what he is bringing and am pretty convinced we have a winner.
Draper has only 4 turnovers this year. He has the lowest turnover average of every Dockers player this year, with 0.57 per game.

I thought Sturt was very good in the bits I watched on the weekend.

Chased hard, smothered…unfortunately missed the two shots for goal he had in the second half…

Emmet’s getting 8 disposals a week and is apparently cemented in…I don’t see it with him…he’s an Aldi knock off Chris Mayne.

I like a guy who can kick goals when he gets the chance…if Sturt gets 8-15 possessions there’s a goal or two in there…Emmet? Not so much

Yeah Sturt has improved massively in the defensive stakes. Was still chasing and smothering in the 4th quarter when 100pts up.

He's a way off Switta and Emmett you'd think but if he keeps it up he might find himself back in. Significantly bigger offensive threat to Emmett and the closest thing we have to a Sonny replacement currently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm aware that yes what you post is normally positive but I'll agree to disagree with you on this one. In my opinion Draper's already one of the best kicks under pressure in our team. Its not just me who thinks the player Draper is most like is Michael Johnson. Elite kicking skills under pressure is why I view him as a Michael Johnson like player.

Draper has only 4 turnovers this year. He has the lowest turnover average of every Dockers player this year, with 0.57 per game.
wolf of wall street ed GIF by Harborne Web Design Ltd

Look Draper has been impressive but sending a handball to another under the pump will count as an effective possession and no turnover. Was an example on Sunday where he had plenty of time to choose any number of kick or handball options and in the end pumped a 15 m handball to a stationary Brayshaw who had his opposition player sweating on his back like glue. All it did was create a stoppage and cause Brayshaw to get absolutely crunched in a tackle. Happened many times before where he just flicks off a quick handball to another just to deflect the pressure. I like that he is being careful but some of this decision making is a composure issue. I’d rather he have an effective possession to a player than a turnover but many of them are causing another player to turn the ball over.

I’m not marking down Draper just pointing out that sometimes stats are deceiving.

Look Draper has been impressive but sending a handball to another under the pump will count as an effective possession and no turnover. Was an example on Sunday where he had plenty of time to choose any number of kick or handball options and in the end pumped a 15 m handball to a stationary Brayshaw who had his opposition player sweating on his back like glue. All it did was create a stoppage and cause Brayshaw to get absolutely crunched in a tackle. Happened many times before where he just flicks off a quick handball to another just to deflect the pressure. I like that he is being careful but some of this decision making is a composure issue. I’d rather he have an effective possession to a player than a turnover but many of them are causing another player to turn the ball over.

I’m not marking down Draper just pointing out that sometimes stats are deceiving.
Here is a question for you. Do we play Cox forward or back when fit? I for one would love to keep Draper in when Cox is healthy.

Here is a question for you. Do we play Cox forward or back when fit? I for one would love to keep Draper in when Cox is healthy.
Unfortunately, I dont think so unless one of the KPPs are injured. Draper could basically be first in if one of 10 players are injured but I think he sits outside firm best 22 for now

There's been a few of those wrong option/okay execution moments. Nothing catastrophic but an area he should improve on with experience.

The existence of facts surrounding Drapes' turnover figures had me - very briefly - questioning my judgment. I was referring to what you are talking about - disposals that get to the bloke, but put him under pressure while it gets there and when it gets there.

I also see that he can kick and isn't frightened to initiate some forward movement so am discounting the times it doesn't quite work. Because when it works it will be the sort of thing we really need - a key defender pulling off quick and risky field-splitting options is a massive bonus.

Draper is still learning

He was drafted as a forward and immediately sent back for us, was impressed with him on Fyfe last pre season but he is obviously very raw, didn't even get through a full season last year

Then he impressed again this pre season and was thrust into the role at AFL level.

He needs more time, he will definitely enjoy some time back at wafl when cox is ready.

I have to agree with chris25 that we probably should have given Davies a couple of games too but the tigers game on the weekend was the one we should've started him in.

Back