• McDonald

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 90 54.5%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 10 6.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a thought - can we stop saying someone is a perfect replacement for Walters? Walters is a pretty unique success story and much of it comes down to his own dedication to find a way to make his talent really work within the limitations (size and footspeed) that he has and the roles that he was given by his two coaches. For every Walters there are at least 50 guys that come through the system that have similar or better talent levels by foot and football brains, but that don't make it anywhere near what he has. Crozier, Matera for example were also small forwards that were accurate kick types but haven't been fit to lick a shoelace of Walters. One could argue Sturt is on the verge of going the same way. Delean (who I still see as a very good "fit" option at the moment) could go the same way. We could draft Isaac Kako (who is probably the best small forward draft option) with a second round pick and he could also fail to live up to the Walters standard.

It is better to talk about what is needed for the forward line that Walters currently provides. In my opinion this is a quick thinking forward who is a pretty safe kick for goal either on the run or set shot with good positioning (particularly in front of the contest) which results in them consistently kicking goals. In a Lyon/Longmuir side that also means they have to at least be disciplined and fairly good defensively as well.

It is not an absolute that we need a Walters level talent; For example, I find it very difficult to pick out the standout small forwards in the Richmond side that one several premierships with Damien Hardwick - they were all hard grafter types.

Sorry man but do you know who Tyson Stengle is?

I'm not talking about all the failures or unproven guys you are talking about.

Tyson Stengle is only 25 years old and all ready has as many all Australian honours as Walters, and has kicked more goals in a season than Walters ever has.

Admittedly Walters has some unique talents, but as far as replacements go, Stengle IS perfect.

Just as talented and just coming in to prime age. If we can keep him on the straight and narrow, potentially with guidance from Walters himself, Stengle could go a long way to fixing our scoring issues.

Look Draper has been impressive but sending a handball to another under the pump will count as an effective possession and no turnover. Was an example on Sunday where he had plenty of time to choose any number of kick or handball options and in the end pumped a 15 m handball to a stationary Brayshaw who had his opposition player sweating on his back like glue. All it did was create a stoppage and cause Brayshaw to get absolutely crunched in a tackle. Happened many times before where he just flicks off a quick handball to another just to deflect the pressure. I like that he is being careful but some of this decision making is a composure issue. I’d rather he have an effective possession to a player than a turnover but many of them are causing another player to turn the ball over.

I’m not marking down Draper just pointing out that sometimes stats are deceiving.
I don't remember that specific situation, so I can't comment on it, but what you've described isn't necessarily bad. If he doesn't give the hand pass he's given up his prior opportunity and is now vulnerable to giving away a free kick for holding the ball. Handballing to a player under pressure resets the prior opportunity and allows them to absorb the tackle for a ball up and allow the team to reset. It's a better option than a rushed or blind disposal that the opposition is usually set up for.

Anyway, the original discussion was about Draper's ability to take kick outs, so handballs under pressure aren't really relevant.

Edit: found the footage, it's 18:30 minutes to go in the last quarter. Was just a poor decision by Draper, although I suspect that he just didn't see the Richmond player behind Brayshaw.

Last edited:
Here is a question for you. Do we play Cox forward or back when fit? I for one would love to keep Draper in when Cox is healthy.
Cox in and Draper out is my answer. Many won’t like that but Cox compliments APearce. It will cause a slight adjustment for his good mate Luke Ryan. No slight on Draper. The team is much improved with Cox in. No I don’t want him playing forward.

Treacy has been great but the past 2 weeks were the dogs who have a notoriously s**t defense, especially for talls - there was a point where i'd just take kpfs to kick goals against them on the punt every week.

And Richmond who are playing 2 absolute battlers as kpd thanks to injuries

Luckily it's the swans next up who have struggled with height (lobb would kill em when we played + Treacy and dogga did well last year) + the swans are missing their #1 kpd - unfortunately it's gonna rain though

But yeah, those 3 teams are probably 3 of the most susceptible to kpfs In the league

Very pleased still though as ya still gotta kick the goals
I don't think it will rain much, if at all

I don't remember that specific situation, so I can't comment on it, but what you've described isn't necessarily bad. If he doesn't give the hand pass he's given up his prior opportunity and is now vulnerable to giving away a free kick for holding the ball. Handballing to a player under pressure resets the prior opportunity and allows them to absorb the tackle for a ball up and allow the team to reset. It's a better option than a rushed or blind disposal that the opposition is usually set up for.

Anyway, the original discussion was about Draper's ability to take kick outs, so handballs under pressure aren't really relevant.

Edit: found the footage, it's 18:30 minutes to go in the last quarter. Was just a poor decision by Draper, although I suspect that he just didn't see the Richmond player behind Brayshaw.
He made one mistake in the same game when the coaches gave him the responsibility of constantly manning the oppositions most dangerous forwards in Bolton and Martin. His decision making since being in the team has been truly staggering for such a young player. His composure with ball in hand is as elite as any young defender I can remember.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox in and Draper out is my answer. Many won’t like that but Cox compliments APearce. It will cause a slight adjustment for his good mate Luke Ryan. No slight on Draper. The team is much improved with Cox in. No I don’t want him playing forward.
Bookmark it. I'm saying its the coaches that rate Draper the highest and I mean higher than any young defender we've had in recent times which is why he started the last game on the most dangerous opposition forward. I think he'll be selected even when Cox returns with Cox to spend time forward and back and with Chapman spending equal time wing and back to make the rotations work.

Bookmark it. I'm saying its the coaches that rate Draper the highest and I mean higher than any young defender we've had in recent times which is why he started the last game on the most dangerous opposition forward. I think he'll be selected even when Cox returns with Cox to spend time forward and back and with Chapman spending equal time wing and back to make the rotations work.
That’s just not going to happen. Draper was supposed to be playing WAFL all of this year. He literally finished last year in Reserves. That was the original plan for him and it took two long term injuries to the guys in front of him for those plans to change. There is absolutely no reason (barring more injuries) why they won’t revert back to the original plan for Draper this year, now with the added bonus of him knowing what AFL is like.

When Cox is back he’s going to the backline. Chapman is not going to move to a new role that requires a lot more running and endurance after coming back from multiple injuries.

I would guess that with JUH staying at Dogs McDonald will likely be off the table

I’ve cooled on him a bit like others based on Treacys stratospheric trajectory.

Still need someone mature and proven goal kicker to fill Sonny’s role very soon
Can’t afford to wait for rookies

Baker is that guy .
Bakers biggest goal tally in a season is 12.

Sorry man but do you know who Tyson Stengle is?

I'm not talking about all the failures or unproven guys you are talking about.

Tyson Stengle is only 25 years old and all ready has as many all Australian honours as Walters, and has kicked more goals in a season than Walters ever has.

Admittedly Walters has some unique talents, but as far as replacements go, Stengle IS perfect.

Just as talented and just coming in to prime age. If we can keep him on the straight and narrow, potentially with guidance from Walters himself, Stengle could go a long way to fixing our scoring issues.
Couldnt we make Eddie Betts and hi wife Anna Scullie an offer as well.
She is his guardian/agent.
Would love to have the boy from Boomerang crescent, Kalgoorlie on board in some capacity!

Last edited:
That’s just not going to happen. Draper was supposed to be playing WAFL all of this year. He literally finished last year in Reserves. That was the original plan for him and it took two long term injuries to the guys in front of him for those plans to change. There is absolutely no reason (barring more injuries) why they won’t revert back to the original plan for Draper this year, now with the added bonus of him knowing what AFL is like.

When Cox is back he’s going to the backline. Chapman is not going to move to a new role that requires a lot more running and endurance after coming back from multiple injuries.
Ok. Im saying it will happen and Im saying the coaches have given Draper big jobs since he's been in the side for a reason. Get back to me when Cox comes back. I'll be stunned if Draper is left out when Cox comes back.Its just an opinion so feel free to disagree. I think the coaches would be staggered how well Draper is going. Bookmark my post if you like and tell me how I was wrong if Draper is left out.

Chapman spent a great deal of preseason auditioning in the match sims for a position on the wing. By the time Cox is ready to play - R 17-20- at best Chapman should have the fitness level to run the wing.
The question then would be whether Draper could take over Chapman’s current role.
Too much water under the bridge to spend a lot of time on what might be the situation that far out.

Chapman spent a great deal of preseason auditioning in the match sims for a position on the wing. By the time Cox is ready to play - R 17-20- at best Chapman should have the fitness level to run the wing.
The question then would be whether Draper could take over Chapman’s current role.
Too much water under the bridge to spend a lot of time on what might be the situation that far out.
The current timeline has Cox back by round 13, and he's always one to come back early/on schedule. That gives him time to play WAFL during our bye and be in our round 14 team. Means Chapman has 4 games left before Cox gets back, and 6 games in total since coming back from injury. It's up to S&C to decide the risk that will come with significantly increasing his workload with his history. The fact that he did train on the wing in pre season probably helps, but who knows how things have changed since his trip overseas.

I like Chapman in defense. Hes got above average skills but what stands out to me is how quickly he moves the ball on. I dont think its any coincidence that ball movement has looked a lot better with him in the side. Really shifts the zone very quickly compared to Hughes who take an eternity to kick the ball.

Back