• McDonald

Votes: 22 11.7%
  • Chad Warner

Votes: 121 64.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It is not personal in the slightest. I would love absolutely nothing more than for me to come out of the end of this with egg on my face after he cements his spot in our forward line. I just don't think that Sturt is the type of player that will fix our forward line problems because he's way too similar to Amiss in the way that he scores and he doesn't do enough without the ball.

Everyone else on here seems to think he's the messiah that will magically fix our forward line problems. You judge him on a different criteria than other players. Brodie for example, is justified in not getting a game becuase he's too one dimensional (even though he was extremely good at that one role), but Sturt should get a game even though he is one dimensional too?

I'm don't reply to other critique on players as much because most of them are fair and balanced and so I've got nothing to add.
I've made my point, so I'll stop now but given that you always have to get the last word in...go for it.

It is not personal in the slightest. I would love absolutely nothing more than for me to come out of the end of this with egg on my face after he cements his spot in our forward line. I just don't think that Sturt is the type of player that will fix our forward line problems because he's way too similar to Amiss in the way that he scores and he doesn't do enough without the ball.

Everyone else on here seems to think he's the messiah that will magically fix our forward line problems. You judge him on a different criteria than other players. Brodie for example, is justified in not getting a game becuase he's too one dimensional (even though he was extremely good at that one role), but Sturt should get a game even though he is one dimensional too?

I'm don't reply to other critique on players as much because most of them are fair and balanced and so I've got nothing to add.
If you all want a genuine vendetta, have you met Jammo and Logue?

I like Sturt but to be fair I find most of it hard to disagree with.
He finds it hard to get involved in the game, and lacked a lot of pressure or intent (which has improved).

I think over the past like 6 months or so it levelled out a fair bit, before then we were borderline in conspiracy theory territory about why he ever had to play for Peel and didn't have a 5 year deal in front of him. There are definitely posters who still hold Sturt in too high a regard (after Fritsch's game winner, I don't want to see him and Sturt in the same paragraph let alone the same sentence). But I think most see that he's a pretty limited player who seems to need full match fitness/sharpness to be a non-complete negative in pressure/ground ball/contest scenarios.

Probably a bit of carry-on after he got dropped post-derby, which is now seen to have been the right decision. Clearly he needs to get his conditioning right and all those areas of his game he's typically lacking in working before we can talk about a regular spot. Would also help him if/when Switta returns and is at his best, coz he is elite at almost everything Sturt is poor at.

Stengle is a free agent. Exactly what we need. Would be massive for us amd a perfect Walters replacement.
Doubt he leaves Vic if what Ralph was saying is true, basically been taken in by Bett's and his wife, Bett's wife is his guardian and now got the rights to manage his contracts.

Don't see him leaving Vic if thats the case

Doubt he leaves Vic if what Ralph was saying is true, basically been taken in by Bett's and his wife, Bett's wife is his guardian and now got the rights to manage his contracts.

Don't see him leaving Vic if thats the case

Maybe Walters could stick around as a coach and help with mentoring Stengle.

Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

He got sacked by the crows for a reason, and when was the last time we recruited a player with off field issues who wasn't hunted down by the media?
Perhaps they're too busy with getting Harley Reid on the back page everyday these days rather than some Freo bad boy.

I'm not sure I'm prepared to find out tbh.

I don't have the exact data but I think South Australian football players are the most likely to extend their career away from their home state if they move, followed by Western Australians.

Lukosius is contracted until end of 2026 so they will hold all the power there, unless they want a contracted player too.
Talk on SEN SA yesterday is he’s getting shopped around by the suns

Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

He got sacked by the crows for a reason, and when was the last time we recruited a player with off field issues who wasn't hunted down by the media?
I know he is back in Adelaide ever chance he gets.

He's the kind player freo need but I think he still has a few off field issues if you catch my drift

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a thought - can we stop saying someone is a perfect replacement for Walters? Walters is a pretty unique success story and much of it comes down to his own dedication to find a way to make his talent really work within the limitations (size and footspeed) that he has and the roles that he was given by his two coaches. For every Walters there are at least 50 guys that come through the system that have similar or better talent levels by foot and football brains, but that don't make it anywhere near what he has. Crozier, Matera for example were also small forwards that were accurate kick types but haven't been fit to lick a shoelace of Walters. One could argue Sturt is on the verge of going the same way. Delean (who I still see as a very good "fit" option at the moment) could go the same way. We could draft Isaac Kako (who is probably the best small forward draft option) with a second round pick and he could also fail to live up to the Walters standard.

It is better to talk about what is needed for the forward line that Walters currently provides. In my opinion this is a quick thinking forward who is a pretty safe kick for goal either on the run or set shot with good positioning (particularly in front of the contest) which results in them consistently kicking goals. In a Lyon/Longmuir side that also means they have to at least be disciplined and fairly good defensively as well.

It is not an absolute that we need a Walters level talent; For example, I find it very difficult to pick out the standout small forwards in the Richmond side that one several premierships with Damien Hardwick - they were all hard grafter types.

Stengle is a free agent. Exactly what we need. Would be massive for us amd a perfect Walters replacement.

Given Carlton are still gagging for a small forward and seemingly have endless money to throw at free agents, we would be up against it to lure him across.

I thought Sturt was very good in the bits I watched on the weekend.

Chased hard, smothered…unfortunately missed the two shots for goal he had in the second half…

Emmet’s getting 8 disposals a week and is apparently cemented in…I don’t see it with him…he’s an Aldi knock off Chris Mayne.

I like a guy who can kick goals when he gets the chance…if Sturt gets 8-15 possessions there’s a goal or two in there…Emmet? Not so much

Good forward lines have different dimensions, Switta and Emmett are too similar for my liking.

Sturt adds another dimension, yes he leads up like Amiss but is quicker and more nimble. He has the ability to lead into spaces left by Amiss and Treacy and present another option.

Plus you know, he can kick goals (imagine that in a forward).

Amiss - Tall, lead up forward that can also take a contested mark.
Treacy - Tall, pack crashing forward who can slot them from 50
Jackson/Darcy - Resting ruck
Sturt - Nimble lead up medium who is also good off the ground and can find spaces that others can't (quite often doesn't get used at present)
Emmett/Switta - Pressure forward, hard tackling, defensive mindset.
Freddie - X factor who also pushes up into the midfield

Treacy playing like this means no McDonald

I’d give everything we have for Chad Warner. He’s exactly what we need

Josh Draper. He might not be midsized but he can play on anyone and will be able to play the Ryan role in a few years is my tip. His kicking is fantastic.
If you really like turnovers on the last line.

I’m cutting slack because he’s a kid, but he’s given me at least two STEMIs already.

Good forward lines have different dimensions, Switta and Emmett are too similar for my liking.

Sturt adds another dimension, yes he leads up like Amiss but is quicker and more nimble. He has the ability to lead into spaces left by Amiss and Treacy and present another option.

Plus you know, he can kick goals (imagine that in a forward).

Amiss - Tall, lead up forward that can also take a contested mark.
Treacy - Tall, pack crashing forward who can slot them from 50
Jackson/Darcy - Resting ruck
Sturt - Nimble lead up medium who is also good off the ground and can find spaces that others can't (quite often doesn't get used at present)
Emmett/Switta - Pressure forward, hard tackling, defensive mindset.
Freddie - X factor who also pushes up into the midfield
I think that’s our best set up to maximise returns for entries, not sure with the weather forecast this is the week to bring Sturt in though, next week under the roof at marvel would suit him better. Emmett needs to start hitting the scoreboard or teammates more often though, he can only hold his spot on pressure acts alone for so long.

A running half back? We have Worner & Wagner who can't get games.

Outside class (opposite wing to Sharp) or forward talent and x-factor all the way.

Interesting that Daniels brought Bolton up on this weeks HBG.. Was it a random hypothetical? Or paving the way? :think:

Hook that Schmook article straight into my veins.

We are definitely not the finished product and maybe our current ladder position is slightly over-inflating our success this season to date.

But, we are chock full of young talent, all jostling to blossom a the same time.

Treacy stepping up and consigning Logan to the status of distant memory, while having these three first rounders, is like winning lotto after you've just paid off your mortgage.

I'm totally in the dark as to how it will all play out but I am going to enjoy the rest of this season, and the trade/draft period, probably as much as our late run in 2013.

Back