List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I don’t love Cam Zurhaar, I think he is the forward type we should be looking at.

Averaging over a goal a game in the bottom team and kicked 3.3 yesterday so really could have had a day out.

North will 100% let him go via FA if they get a high enough compo.

I’d much prefer to have only 1 small in our forward line in Motlop, with Harry, Charlie, JSOS, EHollands and Zurhaar. Along with maybe CDurdin coming off the bench.

It is worthwhile having a discussion as to which players are not good enough to take into the last 2 weeks of the finals, to form the basis of recruiting priorities.

I would nominate Owies, Durdin and Young from yesterday, resulting in
1. electric small fwd with good defensive skills
2. Key position defender

Durdin is the interesting one. He could kick 3 next week, but I don't trust him as a consistent finisher and this is his 4th season.
Durdin played mainly midfield as a junior - not sure he is a natural crumbing forward.
But I think he’s still developing and has shown improvement this year.
I’ve moved on from Owies. Is a great trier but has no x-factor to balance his regular ineptitude.
We are pinning a lot of hopes on Motlop in the small forward stakes.

Yes … but what’s the alternative? McGovern, Marchbank, Kemp all have queries. Lemmey developing but a long way off.
Young might keep his place by default. Fascinating who we target for MSD.
Priorities? skilled speedy outside mid/forward; KPD
2024 Draft priorities - father/sons; KPF: Ruck;
Jonty Faull? He's been injured (too early to suggest he's injury prone) but is reasonably highly rated.

Durdin played mainly midfield as a junior - not sure he is a natural crumbing forward.
I’ve moved on from Owies. Is a great trier but has no x-factor to balance his regular ineptitude.
100% agree.....I'm still a fan of Durds even though he hasn't been able to recapture the form from a few years back. As disappointing as it was last night, if he had have slotted those goals in the last quarter, we'd be singing his praises - he misses the opportunities and people are sinking the boots in.

I've also seen enough of Owies - very limited skills and output - and at 27yo, I'm not holding out any hope.

I was banging on about during the draft last year, but would love another creative forward. Koen Sanchez was the one I was really impressed with during the U18 Champs - made the All Australian side - and Jack Callinan the other who fits the bill. Both are still there for the taking in the MSD.

It is worthwhile having a discussion as to which players are not good enough to take into the last 2 weeks of the finals, to form the basis of recruiting priorities.

I would nominate Owies, Durdin and Young from yesterday, resulting in
1. electric small fwd with good defensive skills
2. Key position defender

Durdin is the interesting one. He could kick 3 next week, but I don't trust him as a consistent finisher and this is his 4th season.

Agree with all of this MJ, but think CDurdin is still a likely tyoe (ie. persist/invest for time being), and hope he is putting in the after training kicking practice that Harry did (which has worked)

More so, to the:
1. Elec small fwd,
2. KPD as mentioned
I’d add
3. Lightning fast midfielder (+Wilson fast-track?)
… so with these desperate needs, to be really ruthless about getting to top 2 and contending ….

- devils advocate here -

Can we afford to elevate 2 x Campos as a ’given’ above these ‘1st, 2nd, 3rd needs’ ?

I’m thinking, we need to prioritise and aggressively pursue at least two of ‘1,2,3’, with first pick (14-18) and a FA or Trade, whilst trying to fit campos in around this as 2nd priority….. with whatever mid-later round picks we have

Some difficult trade-offs for List Mgt Dept this year

Think we need pace in mid, and X factor around goals, to avoid getting torched by the good fast sides like yesterday

As much as I don’t love Cam Zurhaar, I think he is the forward type we should be looking at.

Averaging over a goal a game in the bottom team and kicked 3.3 yesterday so really could have had a day out.

North will 100% let him go via FA if they get a high enough compo.

I’d much prefer to have only 1 small in our forward line in Motlop, with Harry, Charlie, JSOS, EHollands and Zurhaar. Along with maybe CDurdin coming off the bench.
I wouldn't mind Zurhaar either. The power marking mid size player adds another threat when sides are setting up to defend Charlie with slower entries. Whether the powers that be would overlook his abrasive personality traits is a different kettle of fish.

We aren’t winning the flag with our current small and medium forward options. We need to get one of Stengle, Zurhaar and Hayward in the off season.

There’s a real case also to unite the McGovern brothers in a Brian Lake-eske move to sure up the key positions but I doubt we have the cap space.

Or Lappin, Hickmott and Walker….
We’ve had so many great players.

Skinny lappin was one of my favourite Carlton players. One of the high footy IQ types. Made watching footy fun.

I saw him at a Bunnings store last year here on the Gold Coast. He’s still skinny and taller than what I thought he was.

Think he’s one of the suns coaches?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly Shai Bolton would fix all our issues outside of 2nd KPD in one hit. If there was ever a way to get that done I'd cry happy tears when the trade went through.

Hopefully a Toby Bedford esq option bobs up as I doubt we'd have money for a big name like Bolton.

We’ve had so many great players.

Skinny lappin was one of my favourite Carlton players. One of the high footy IQ types. Made watching footy fun.

I saw him at a Bunnings store last year here on the Gold Coast. He’s still skinny and taller than what I thought he was.

Think he’s one of the suns coaches?
We have been spoilt for small & medium sized forwards over the years…..

Some names not already mentioned that spring to mind include
Bosustow, Johnston, Sheldon, Ashman, Marcou, Frazer Murphy, Clape, Houlihan, Meldrum, Pearce, Dennis, Evans.

The best part is most could go into the middle and impact as a mid/rover type also.

TBF… Durdin was getting to the right spots yesterday crumbing at the front of the pack…

The ball just didn’t fall his way…

However… Don’t see him ever being a clutch player in the big moments.

IIRC spot on.

Durdin always played mid until his last year of junior footy.

He realised he was too small to make it as an AFL mid.

Asked to play forward in last year to give himself the best chance of
“making it” in AFL.

I agree but I’m not sure we can free up much coin moving on injury prones…

The worst of the lot are Marchy and cunners (available ~7-8 games in average per season) and I don’t think either are on much coin.

Martins isn’t as bad (averaging ~15 games per season) and his salary was front end loaded.
The three of them together is still probably $750,000 or thereabouts.

The three of them together is still probably $750,000 or thereabouts.
yeah agree...

Perhaps equivalent to one quality player these days

Although might be adequate for Austin to work with to do a bit better - players might take slight unders for chance to play finals.

We're in a good position to attract some quality players you'd think.

TBF… Durdin was getting to the right spots yesterday crumbing at the front of the pack…

The ball just didn’t fall his way…

However… Don’t see him ever being a clutch player in the big moments.

Agreed. He missed a sitter against the Giants which would have completely shut the door and then missed a set shot from 30m out directly in front against Geelong which would have given us a massive leg up. He shat the bed against Collingwood in Round 23 2023 v Pies and didn’t play in our run at the end of last year. I fear he is a midfielder we are trying to convert into a small forward. We are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I just can’t see him taking bring into a 30-35 goals a season small forward. Same goes for Owies. I hope I am wrong otherwise we are still a piece away from winning a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back