List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I went and saw a bit of the VFL on the weekend and it was clear to me we need another quality mid. We had XO and Rowston playing on ball and XO was head and shoulders above Rowston IMO.

Would be good to have another quality option to take ward's midfield minutes when he leaves
I know he’s been injured from the get-go, and he’s so young so we just have no idea, but I see Leake as very similar to Cal. Similar size and shape. Great kick. Can take a mark. Likes the contest.
Gee I hope he can get up and going in the back half of the season in the vfl.

There was a weekend pre-champs trial game, a NSW Rams team consisting of Swans & GWS academy players against a South Australia Under 18 team.

Essentially only 2 notable players from GWS academy:

SOUTH Australia has overcome a combined GWS Giants and Sydney Swans Academy outfit to win by 10 points at Thebarton Oval on Sunday. In the first of two trial games, the Under 18 Croweaters led by a single point at the first and final breaks before holding firm to salute 10.11 (71) to 9.7 (61).

SOUTH AUSTRALIA 3.3 | 5.6 | 8.7 | 10.11 (71)
SWANS/GIANTS 3.2 | 6.5 | 8.6 | 9.7 (61)

GOALS:

South Australia:
T. Welsh 2, T. Rosenzweig 2, A. Schubert 2, E. Bradley, P. Hargrave, T. Mackay, M. Leray
Giants/Swans: M. Rider 2, C. McCormack, C. Hilton, L. Smith, J. Delana, T. Ryan, N. Hawkins, R. Hamilton

BESTS:

South Australia:
B. Camporeale, D. Sharp, J. Newton, A. Schubert, T. Dalmenico, A. Clarke
Giants/Swans: L. Smith, L. Carmichael, N. Hawkins, J. Harrison, H. Podmore-Taylor, J. Delana

GIANTS/SWANS ACADEMIES:

Josaia Delana (Giants Academy)
Midfielder | 176cm | 01/07/2006

Much like his co-captain Harrison, Delana made a strong start to proceedings with polished work around the ball. Despite his small standing, the powerful mover proved a clean first possession winner and withstood pressure to dish the ball off to the outside. He got to showcase his turn of speed on a couple of occasions and hit the scoreboard with an impressive goal in the second quarter, launching home a long-range snap seemingly out of nothing at the top of attacking 50.

#26 Logan Smith (Giants Academy)
Ruck | 204cm | 24/09/2006

Fresh off a terrific three-game stint in the Coates Talent League, Smith was again outstanding and firms as one of, if not the best ruck in the draft pool. The towering tall owned the ruck battle, winning hitouts with his bodywork and reach while also prising clearances when possible. He even got going with some strong marking at both ends of the ground and plucked a grab inside 50 to convert his second quarter goal. He’s in store for a huge National Championships.

Allies squad for 2024 Under 18 Championships - GWS Academy just 3 selections: Joey Delana (mid), Logan Smith (ruck) & Cooper Bell (KPF). (#s 11, 40 & 41 in the list below.)

SCHEDULE: Please click here to view the fixture for the 2024 Marsh AFL National Championships – U18 Boys. Match details are subject to change.

#NAMESURNAMEHTSTATESTATE LEAGUE CLUBCOMMUNITY CLUB
1NicholasAndreacchio178NSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademySydney University
2ZekeUwland178QLDGC Suns AcademyBurleigh
4RickyMentha178NTNT Academy
Gippsland Power
Morwell
8LeoLombard178QLDGC Suns AcademyBroadbeach
9JoeHarrison182NSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyWarners Bay
10LachlanCarmichael183NSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyMosman
11JosaiaDelana176NSW/ACTGWS Giants AcademyWilloughby
12TajStanley177NTNT Academy
Perth
Southern Districts
13OliverDepaoli-Kubank178TASTasmania DevilsNorth Launceston
14GeordiePayne184TASTasmania DevilsNorth Launceston
16SamMarshall185QLDBrisbane Lions Academy
Sandringham Dragons
Old Melburnians
20DanielAnnable183QLDBrisbane Lions AcademyRedland-Victoria Point
21LennyDouglas179TASTasmania DevilsNorth Launceston
24TajMurray199NTNT Academy
North Adelaide
Nightcliff
25FergusMcFadyen189QLDBrisbane Lions AcademyWilston Grange
26ZaiMillane188QLDGC Suns AcademySurfers Paradise
27WaylonDavey-Motlop171NTNT Academy
Oakleigh Chargers
Palmerston
28JoelCochran195NSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyUNSW Eastern Suburbs
29CalebNancarrow190QLDGC Suns AcademyCairns City
30NoahChamberlain192NSW/ACTSydney Swans AcademyEast Sydney
31RyanGilder191QLDBrisbane Lions AcademySherwood Districts
32JobeShanahan194NSW/ACTBendigo PioneersMoama
33TyGallop194QLDBrisbane Lions AcademyMaroochydore
34NathanielSulzberger187TASTasmania Devils
Sandringham Dragons
North Hobart
36BenKennedy186NSW/ACTMurray BushrangersYarrawonga
37JoshMurphy190NSW/ACTMurray BushrangersNorth Albury
38OliverDean201TASTasmania DevilsNorth Launceston
39BillyRichardson195QLDBrisbane Lions AcademyWilston Grange
40LoganSmith204NSW/ACTGWS Giants AcademyQueanbeyan
41CooperBell198NSW/ACTGWS Giants AcademyBelconnen
42KalaniWhite198QLDGC Suns AcademyBroadbeach

Anyone have an informed opinion on how draftable these guys are
Best ask PMBangers.

Their performance during the Under 18 Championships will be telling, as none are "top shelf" options IMO.

From a less-informed perspective:
  • Joey Delana has some draftable qualities, but similar to Harvey Thomas, his size (at 176 cms) is a question as to whether he can translate into an inside mid role at AFL level; if not, do we need another mid-come- small forward?
  • Logan Smith is a very decent young ruck (described in one article as possibly the best ruck in the draft pool), so his performance during the Champs will be insightful, but the question will be whether we want another young ruck ... even if we ditch Brayden Preuss.
  • I think Cooper Bell would need to have a super U18 Champs to come into draft calculations ... at this point in time.

ANOTHER GIANTS BIG MAN ON THE WAY?​

GREATER Western Sydney Academy prospect Logan Smith is shaping as one of the first northern Academy players picked in this year's draft after a dominant start to the season.

The 204cm ruckman is a member of the Giants Academy and this week was selected in the Allies squad for the mid-year under-18 championships.

His form for the Giants in their Coates Talent League performances stood out to rival recruiters, with Smith playing three games and averaging 18 disposals and 27 hitouts.

His best performance came in round six against the Murray Bushrangers, when he had 24 disposals, eight clearances and 22 hitouts.

The Giants will get first access to him through their Academy but his progress is seeing clubs view him as one of the best ruckmen in the draft pool.

Greater Western Sydney has had success from its Academy with a run of ruckmen, including current No.1 big man Kieren Briggs and developing talent Nick Madden, who recently re-signed for two more years but has strung together a run of impressive VFL form. – Callum Twomey

Best ask PMBangers.

Their performance during the Under 18 Championships will be telling, as none are "top shelf" options IMO.

From a less-informed perspective:
  • Joey Delana has some draftable qualities, but similar to Harvey Thomas, his size (at 176 cms) is a question as to whether he can translate into an inside mid role at AFL level; if not, do we need another mid-come- small forward?
  • Logan Smith is a very decent young ruck (described in one article as possibly the best ruck in the draft pool), so his performance during the Champs will be insightful, but the question will be whether we want another young ruck ... even if we ditch Brayden Preuss.
  • I think Cooper Bell would need to have a super U18 Champs to come into draft calculations ... at this point in time.
Pretty good summary. Delana I'd be more confident of making it as a mid than Thomas at the same stage, has a few more tricks athletically to get himself away from contest with the footy, but with his strength for his size I can see a world where he becomes a defender as well

Smith has been really impressive to this point, his endurance for a ruck is really good so his ability to cover ground and get from contest-to-contest in open play is pretty handy. Worth noting that it's not a great year for rucks though which may be inflating the view on him a bit, but I understand why people get excited about that style of ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anybody think Tim Taranto would want to come back ? I think we miss his toughness at stoppages, tackling around the ground.
Probably unlikely.
Is there anybody on the list that could replicate at least in part what Isaac Heeney is doing?

Does anybody think Tim Taranto would want to come back ? I think we miss his toughness at stoppages, tackling around the ground.
Probably unlikely.
Is there anybody on the list that could replicate at least in part what Isaac Heeney is doing?
He is on great money for a long time, we can’t offer him that coin.

Probably unlikely.

Probably not, but pretty sure the tigers would love to get out of the Hopper contract.

But we certainly should chase a mid with the likes of LDU being the dream target.

Any club would have to be mad to take this problem on

But he deserves a second third fourth fifth sixth seventh eighth whateverth chance by the AFL! Some good ol' blokes told me!

Random thought when listening to the 5pm news because there was a story about.....

Luke Parker.

Can't get a game in the 1s for the Swans. Will most likely be suspended for the block during the VFL game on the weekend.

Contract expires next year.

Turns 32 in October.

Has what we need.

Is it worth chasing him for next year and maybe an incentive deal for 2026?

Again, just putting it out there.

Kingsley and most of the non Victorian coaches are not in favour of the mooted future changes to mid year trades, unless clubs make the decision to trade.

“My opinion would be that it’s probably not something that will favour the northern states particularly, but also the West Australian and South Australian clubs – I think you’d see most of the movement happen within Victoria.”

Should the AFL decide to take trading matters out of the hands of players, the second-year Giants coach was more warming to the concept.

GIANTS STILL WATCHING CROWS TALL

KUWARNA is yet to begin contract talks with Elliott Himmelberg, as clubs continue to monitor the versatile tall as an unrestricted free agent option.

Greater Western Sydney is one of the clubs to have retained an interest in Himmelberg, having made an unsuccessful attempt to lure the 45-gamer to the club last October when he was still under contract at West Lakes.

The Crows held him to the final season of his deal and refused to trade Himmelberg to the Giants, where his older brother Harry is a star player, keeping him as key-position depth having failed themselves to secure a move for Melbourne's Harrison Petty.

But the 198cm tall is free to move where he chooses at season's end, given his standing as an unrestricted free agent following eight seasons at Kuwarna.

The Giants remain keen on key-position depth at either end of the field, with veterans Nick Haynes and Lachie Keeffe coming towards the twilight of their careers, with Himmelberg again expected to be an option for Adam Kingsley's side.

Himmelberg, who turns 26 next month, has played the last four consecutive games for the Crows, kicking five goals playing as a ruck-forward behind Reilly O'Brien. – Riley Beveridge

Looks like we may consider placing Josh Fahey on the inactive list to open up a vacant position for the mid season draft.

MID-SEASON HUNT ON

THIS weekend's results will shape the order of next week's mid-season rookie draft, with up to 26 selections now able to be used around the competition.

Clubs will advise the AFL this week of their intentions on how many spots they are likely to open due to long-term injuries and retirements, but have until next Tuesday to formalise the movements given there could still be injuries from round 11.

The draft order will be reverse ladder order depending on which clubs have selections, with only Geelong, Greater Western Sydney and Sydney without potential vacant spots. However, the Giants have Josh Fahey set to miss three-to-four months with a foot injury and will consider placing him on the inactive list to open a position.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back