List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The article reads:

"MID-SEASON TRADE PLANS TAKE HIT

Northern states clubs have pushed back on the AFL’s plans to introduce a mid-season trade period for next year.

The league has been in talks with clubs about bringing in a window to trade players in the middle rounds of next season to help increase player movement.

But this masthead can reveal Brisbane and GWS Giants are among the clubs who have made it clear to league headquarters they strongly oppose the concept.

There are beliefs among the northern-states clubs a mid-season trade period would heavily favour Victorian clubs where the bulk of the AFL player pool stems.

The Lions have told AFL officials it would be much harder to attract mature-age players to Queensland in particular if they had to take their children out of school in the middle of the year.

The northern states clubs have predicted the bulk of the movement would flow into Victorian rivals rather than the other way around.

The Giants have also told the AFL the end-of-season two-week trade period in combination with the mid-season draft and supplemental selection period already meets clubs’ needs.

Players could also be stranded mid-season if their moves fall over, leaving them out in the cold with teammates or fans in the middle of the season.

Currently, clubs begin to meet potential recruiting targets in the mid-season bye period, but those talks may have to take place in the early rounds of the season if the mid-season trade period was introduced, ramping up demands on clubs.

The AFL is keen to introduce a mid-season trade period to allow clubs to top-up on specific player needs in the event of a string of injuries.

The AFL Players Association approved the plan as part of last year’s Collective Bargaining Agreement.

But clubs remain in the dark about the potential rules and regulations of a mid-season trade period, including any potential salary cap implications and restrictions around picks or ages of players.

There are also fears clubs at the bottom of the ladder could be targeted, making lesser sides weaker in the second half of the season.

The league has presented to clubs as part of the competitive balance review, which includes proposed changes to the end-of-season draft and trade periods.

The draft points system is set for an overhaul, but clubs are eager for any changes to be pushed back until next year.

Clubs have already planned around father-son and academy targets for this year and think changes this year could have a major impact on plans which have been in-train for 18 months.

Draft pick purchasing where clubs such as North Melbourne could absorb rivals’ salary cap pressure in return for early draft picks is also in the works."

Yeah but how does that relate to Cumming?
If we get Pick 18 and say 19 as compensation for Cumming, I would try to get another high pick by getting somebody's future first.
If we take 18,19 to the draft I doubt those players get to play in 2025.
It will hopefully provide some opportunity in 2025 for Gothard and Leake, who may well not get to debut this year.

A couple of opinion articles on trends in the game and how it may affect the type of players being drafted. Synopsis is that beanpole’ tap-only ruckman are on the way out and that out-sider type speedsters are on the way in (something GWS arguably recognised when we moved away from the Cameron-era).

New ruck rules to end careers as clubs change big man recruiting tactics to avoid ‘beanpoles’

By JON RALPH

SPORTS REPORTER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

01 MAY 2024

Footy’s new ruck rule has claimed its first victim with clubs fearing the age of drafting beanpole 200cm-plus ruckmen is over.

Hawthorn’s Ned Reeves was dropped by the Hawks after two games as ruckmen were allowed to cross the centre square line and block their opponent with a straight arm.

The rule was brought in to simplify the decision-making process for umpires given confusion about what was allowed in a ruck contest.

But the unforeseen consequence has been reducing the centre bounce and around-the-ground ruck throw-ups to wrestling contests.

In previous years the rules rewarded athletic ruckmen who jumped at the ball like Nic Naitanui.

Reeves helped propel the Hawks to the No. 1 centre square side in football last year as a pure leaping tap ruckman who at 210cm had a reach advantage on some rivals.

The new rule allows rucks to block with their arm as long as they are contesting the ball, and now advantages heavier ruckmen who can ground their rival and turn the contest into a push-and-shove.

One senior coach said on Monday their club could not afford to draft thin jumping ruckmen any more when the actual hitout had proved obsolete.

Reeves took on Max Gawn in round 2 and had little impact as the Hawks lost the clearances by 12, with Gawn having only 24 hit-outs but a dominant impact with 17 possessions

Hawthorn has replaced Reeves with the in-form Lloyd Meek, who is a better round-the-ground ruckman despite standing only 202cm.

He has been able to use his bulk to jump into opposition ruckmen and still win hit-outs to advantage while also averaging 14 possessions and four clearances a game.

Those clearances and contested possessions from ruckmen are now much more important that pure hit-outs.

Champion Data statistics show hitout win rates and hitout to advantage from ruckmen are at ten year lows as the league allows greater contact between ruckmen.

Ruckmen have also taken the ball out of the ruck with the first possession 400 times in eight weeks and are on track to easily break last year’s record of 1157.

Ten years ago ruckmen took the ball out of the ruck only 287 times but with a third man not allowed to contest the ruck that figure has steadily increased.

The AFL has in recent years been able to secure young ruckmen from other pathways including basketball given the wealth in the league, with many given years on lists to develop.

But if clubs can throw key forwards or big-bodied players into the ruck they are more likely to recruit established ruckmen than try to draft players who might never make the grade.

Key factor separating Giants, Swans, and Cats from the rest of the competition

By MAX STAINKAMPH

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

30 APRIL 2024

The top three clubs have opened a gap between them and the rest of the competition, not just on the ladder but in their style of play.

Geelong, Sydney and GWS have all pulled ahead of the rest of the league after seven rounds, with Herald Sun reporter Josh Barnes saying they’re the “top three seeds” in the race for the 2024 premiership.

Speaking on the Herald Sun Footy Podcast, Barnes echoed Ross Lyon’s comments that “the ladder doesn’t lie”.

“I think they’re our top three seeds, they’re all tracking so well and we’re going to learn a lot about them this weekend,” Barnes said.

“We’ve got a Sydney derby in not an ideal timeslot at 1.45 on a Saturday afternoon and Geelong faces Melbourne that night.”

But more than the trio’s ladder positions, Barnes said the style of football played by Geelong, GWS and Sydney was setting them apart.

“A lot of footy in recent years has been about how you can get the ball from one end to the other,” he said.

“At the moment, we’re seeing outside footy is winning games more than inside footy from what we’ve seen, teams like Carlton are smashing it on the inside but it’s not translating as greatly outside to what we’ve seen in the past.

“On the weekend Sam Mitchell was reasonably pleased after the game and said we cracked in and had a good effort, they won clearances and won contested possessions by 18, so normally if you do that you’re doing pretty good but they got nowhere near Sydney on the outside.”

“Geelong was similar against Carlton, Carton beat them up on the inside, Cats won that count by 19 and the Blues won the clearances, inside 50s, but Geelong was just so slick getting the ball to the outside to Jeremy Cameron and Gryan Miers.”

The Giants, in contrast, won basically every statistical category in what turned into a “belting”, but their style of play was even more evident than the Cats’ and Swans’.

“The way they moved the ball on the outside as the orange Tsunami – Darcy Jones coming in wearing a helmet running from end to end, they just looked fantastic,” Barnes said.

“You do have to be reasonable inside to be a chance but if you get it outside and you’re able to get it from end to end you’re going to win a lot of games.”

Barnes said the next three sides on the ladder would all have chances to stake their claims over the next few weeks, with Melbourne playing Geelong and then Carlton in a bumper fortnight.

Port Adelaide plays Adelaide in the Showdown before hosting Geelong, while the Blues play the Pies and then the Demons.

Herald Sun Footy Podcast host Andy Bellairs labelled the Pies the “sleeping giant” in the premiership race.

“Collingwood’s the sleeping giant, they’re half a game out of the eight plus percentage, but we’re seven rounds in,” he said.

“They’re ready to make their move.

“What a couple of weeks of footy we’re about to see.”

If we get Pick 18 and say 19 as compensation for Cumming, I would try to get another high pick by getting somebody's future first.
If we take 18,19 to the draft I doubt those players get to play in 2025.
It will hopefully provide some opportunity in 2025 for Gothard and Leake, who may well not get to debut this year.
Gotcha .... end of 1st rounder would be very attractive if we did lose Cheese .... not sure the VFL would be that forthcoming

Gotcha .... end of 1st rounder would be very attractive if we did lose Cheese .... not sure the VFL would be that forthcoming
It would take an offer that would at least get band 2 compensation (end of first round) to move him.
Otherwise he stays you'd think.
He is happy here, we promoted him to the leadership group so we like him. it would take something pretty decent for him to leave.

The article reads:

"MID-SEASON TRADE PLANS TAKE HIT

Northern states clubs have pushed back on the AFL’s plans to introduce a mid-season trade period for next year.

The league has been in talks with clubs about bringing in a window to trade players in the middle rounds of next season to help increase player movement.

But this masthead can reveal Brisbane and GWS Giants are among the clubs who have made it clear to league headquarters they strongly oppose the concept.

There are beliefs among the northern-states clubs a mid-season trade period would heavily favour Victorian clubs where the bulk of the AFL player pool stems.

The Lions have told AFL officials it would be much harder to attract mature-age players to Queensland in particular if they had to take their children out of school in the middle of the year.

The northern states clubs have predicted the bulk of the movement would flow into Victorian rivals rather than the other way around.

The Giants have also told the AFL the end-of-season two-week trade period in combination with the mid-season draft and supplemental selection period already meets clubs’ needs.

Players could also be stranded mid-season if their moves fall over, leaving them out in the cold with teammates or fans in the middle of the season.

Currently, clubs begin to meet potential recruiting targets in the mid-season bye period, but those talks may have to take place in the early rounds of the season if the mid-season trade period was introduced, ramping up demands on clubs.

The AFL is keen to introduce a mid-season trade period to allow clubs to top-up on specific player needs in the event of a string of injuries.

The AFL Players Association approved the plan as part of last year’s Collective Bargaining Agreement.

But clubs remain in the dark about the potential rules and regulations of a mid-season trade period, including any potential salary cap implications and restrictions around picks or ages of players.

There are also fears clubs at the bottom of the ladder could be targeted, making lesser sides weaker in the second half of the season.

The league has presented to clubs as part of the competitive balance review, which includes proposed changes to the end-of-season draft and trade periods.

The draft points system is set for an overhaul, but clubs are eager for any changes to be pushed back until next year.

Clubs have already planned around father-son and academy targets for this year and think changes this year could have a major impact on plans which have been in-train for 18 months.

Draft pick purchasing where clubs such as North Melbourne could absorb rivals’ salary cap pressure in return for early draft picks is also in the works."
Here the club can get to work.
Bring back COLA at 15%, Soft Cap at +20%, Relocation allowance of +$30k per player and we'll talk.

Last edited:
Here the club can get work.
Bring back COLA at 15%, Soft Cap at +20%, Relocation allowance of +$30k per player and we'll talk.
That's ambitious, we have to ask for things we want, it's pretty obvious the VIC clubs mainly get what they want.
I wonder if with the upcoming changes to the bidding system/ draft rules we can recruit from the Riverina again. Probably not, or with very strict conditions like 1 every 2 years only.

That's ambitious, we have to ask for things we want, it's pretty obvious the VIC clubs mainly get what they want.
I wonder if with the upcoming changes to the bidding system/ draft rules we can recruit from the Riverina again. Probably not, or with very strict conditions like 1 every 2 years only.
That's the point of negotiating. Go hard and see what we can get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

18 months ago VIC media said our list was buggered because Taranto and Hopper were moved on.
Briggs, Brown, Buckley, Idun and Cumming were all slow-burn players developing over a few years.
The club is appears much better at list management and it comes down to how much the players want success and playing with a good group over more money. Geelong seem to have worked out that balance pretty well.
I think I speak for most interstate club supporters when I say no one gives a sh*t what vic media say. They pursue their own agendas for the betterment of vic clubs rather than factual reporting. Look at the Harley circus that was all based on bs. Geelong are very lucky that they can offer houses/land/lifestyle that other vic clubs can’t. They have done very well at keeping their 1R for elite talent but trading their 2-4R as unders for players desperate to go there. To their credit they use the other late picks on players we haven’t even heard of that then turn into Tom Stewart.

Agreed you guys are at a point where they need to weigh up team success vs cash and opportunity. There’s a huge amount of your players I’d love at the eagles, would be great if both clubs had a good trade relationship where we accelerate our rebuild and you guys keep getting draft picks for prolonged success. What that looks like hopefully wouldn’t be too different for both clubs.

We have on the past given chances to players so there was always a chance. But with Bartels comments just can’t see it getting up now.
I can't remember any examples where we've given chances to players based off domestic or other violent acts. The closest examples I can think of were behavioural (Shaw and Hogan), but as far as I recall there was no accusations of violence to others in either of their cases. Adams and Greene both got arrested for assault while already at the club, which is a substantially different situation.

I can't remember any examples where we've given chances to players based off domestic or other violent acts. The closest examples I can think of were behavioural (Shaw and Hogan), but as far as I recall there was no accusations of violence to others in either of their cases. Adams and Greene both got arrested for assault while already at the club, which is a substantially different situation.
not really. They still could have been walked. Plenty of calls for that to happen at the time too.

not really. They still could have been walked. Plenty of calls for that to happen at the time too.
In a practical sense, yes really. It's a lot easier to justify second chances when the player is already within the club - have a look at Thomas himself getting extra chances at NM. There's a degree of ownership of the situation by the club, and the fan base is usually already invested emotionally in the player so they're more likely to give some leeway - at least on first offences.

When you're bringing an outsider in with similar issues, the perception is that you're now making a conscious choice to invest the club into that situation. That's a lot harder to justify to those outside the club, including the fans.

In a practical sense, yes really. It's a lot easier to justify second chances when the player is already within the club - have a look at Thomas himself getting extra chances at NM. There's a degree of ownership of the situation by the club, and the fan base is usually already invested emotionally in the player so they're more likely to give some leeway - at least on first offences.

When you're bringing an outsider in with similar issues, the perception is that you're now making a conscious choice to invest the club into that situation. That's a lot harder to justify to those outside the club, including the fans.
True but it’s still off field and still violent. We could have thrown them.

Getting into a fight at a pub is not the same as the long list of poor behaviour from Taryn.
I hope he turns it around, but he'll need to turns it around, but I would want to see a big turn around first

Getting into a fight at a pub is not the same as the long list of poor behaviour from Taryn.
I hope he turns it around, but he'll need to turns it around, but I would want to see a big turn around first
Look I love TFG but in no way was that a fight. He drunkenly attacked a taxi driver. It was a one off and stupid and he has made himself a better human from his chance.

Taryn has done it multiple times, its his mindset. People like that don't change. You just have to protect those who can be harmed from him.

Look I love TFG but in no way was that a fight. He drunkenly attacked a taxi driver. It was a one off and stupid and he has made himself a better human from his chance.

Taryn has done it multiple times, its his mindset. People like that don't change. You just have to protect those who can be harmed from him.
I don't remember the taxi driver, I was thinking about a fight at the pub he had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back