List Mgmt. 2024 GWS Giants List Management - Academy, Free Agent, Trade & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It's always easier to retain players when you are winning and a chance at a flag or sustained success.
The culture at the club seems really strong and everyone is happy with Kingsley.
I reckon we retain Perryman and Cumming.
Gruzewski is the one I'm worried about losing while it's tough to get a game....but probably one injury away

Like Perryman but if a team can talk themselves into giving him a big money long-term deal then it's probably something I'd be willing to let him walk on. Don't love the injury history and it'd be a big commitment to a guy that isn't a top 10 player at the club. Really good player and hope they can keep him but if good compo is on the table from a club offering a big deal then it might be one I'd walk away from.

More on Pez (for those who like to read rather than listen):

GWS defender Harry Perryman is set to receive big rival offers this off-season as an unrestricted free agent, reports AFL Media’s Cal Twomey. The 25-year-old, who hails from the NSW Riverina region, was chased by Port Adelaide in 2020 and Twomey says that the Power are keen on the versatile player’s services again in 2024. Twomey expects clubs to stump up top dollar for the 111-gamer given they won’t need to give up any assets to pick him up in a trade.

“He’s facing a big call, does he stay loyal at the Giants or take up a significant rival offer?” Twomey asked on
AFL Media’s Gettable. “He’s an unrestricted free agent, the nature of that has meant that clubs are willing to put up more cash because he can walk to them. He’s not a restricted player, so the Giants don’t have the option to match. Port Adelaide had interest in him in 2020 and again are among the clubs with interest in him this time around as an unrestricted free agent and there are a few (clubs). The interesting part with him is that I think clubs will be pushing this pretty hard. They know he’s a player who is unrestricted and he’s got some versatility. It’s fair to say there are teams willing to pay Perryman to get him to the other side.”

While he’ll no doubt receive some nice offers from rivals, Twomey’s co-host Riley Beveridge says that GWS are desperate to keep their man and have already tabled him a new long-term deal to stay. “The Giants are desperate to keep him as well,” Beveridge said.
“They’ve offered him a long-term deal to stay at the moment but he’s weighing up a few different things.”

Perryman is averaging 17 disposals, five marks and 3.3 rebound 50s a game in 2024 so far.

RE Perryman, I'd be incredibly surprised if he were to leave after reading this story.

Contract signing can't be too far off for Perryman or Taylor based on the recent media stories, I'd say.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/you-dont-want-to-leave-why-unheralded-giants-defender-harry-perryman-wants-to-keep-the-good-times-rolling-at-gws/news-story/0a28f60e6be5942214dc6317aabf64ca

‘You don’t want to leave’: Why unheralded Giants defender Harry Perryman wants to keep the good times rolling at GWS

Harry Perryman is an unsung hero of the Giants backline but loved by teammates, and he’s excited to see where his defensive cohort - and the Giants - can take their season.

Lachlan McKirdy

April 10, 2024 - 12:00PM

One of the key mantras for the Giants is to ‘celebrate’. The word is plastered on various walls around their HQ at Sydney Olympic Park and it’s ensconced in the actions of everything they do, on and off the field.
Nothing typifies it more than the way they reflect on their defence. Sam Taylor has arguably become the best key defender in the competition, with his teammates Jack Buckley and Connor Idun not far behind. Throw in the likes of Harry Himmelberg and Lachie Whitfield, and it’s a backline group that easily could be considered the most proficient in the AFL.
They hunt as a pack and see themselves as a ‘back seven’. Every individual battle won is a victory for the group.
And while the names mentioned above might steal the headlines, it’s the unheralded Harry Perryman who is arguably the most vital to the Giants’ impervious defence.

“He’s just a teammate you trust,” Josh Kelly said. “You know exactly what you’re getting out of him.

“He’s a guy you love running out next to and a guy who you miss when he’s not out there and then he’s straight back to doing his thing.”

Over the past eight seasons, Perryman has quickly established himself as the unassuming cog of the Giants’ transition into attack.
In the club’s orange tsunami highlight videos, it’s often the 25-year-old who finds that handball to put a teammate into space or receives the first kick to start a wave of movement into the forward half.

It’s why Adam Kingsley didn’t hesitate to bring him back into the team after he missed the opening clash of the season against Collingwood with a minor hamstring injury. Despite Nick Haynes’ impressive performance against the Pies, the veteran was relegated to the sub role so the Giants’ main back seven could be reunited.

“I wanted to play against the Pies in that round zero game, but it’s a long year and over the years I’ve learned not to rush coming back early,” Perryman said.

“There’s depth, but at the same time, any AFL game you miss that’s not what you want. I don’t want to give up a game at all because there are plenty of good players not playing.

“Our back line gets spoken about a bit, but it’s been a core group for a couple of years now. Even when we weren’t winning games a couple of years ago, our back seven was holding up well.

“The younger boys have watched a lot of our older boys back in the day and learned a lot from them. It’s driven them to be hungry and get in the position they’re in now.”

Despite the cohesion, Perryman is far from satisfied with how he has started his 2024 season.

Last year was his most productive for the Giants, appearing in 20+ matches for the first time in his career. But as a result, he knows what his best footy looks like and he feels he is still shaking out some of the rust from the off-season.

“I’ve been okay, but there’s certainly a lot more improvement in myself,” he said.

“I like being hard to play against, playing multiple roles, using my foot skills and I like to back myself in the air a bit too. They’re just a couple of things I need to improve on heading through the season.”

As a Giants Academy product hailing from the NSW Riverina, seeing the club up and about is music to Perryman’s ears. However, he’s also one of just a handful of players in GWS’ best 23 coming off contract at the end of the year.

Talks are progressing well between the two parties, with Perryman’s last couple of contracts only being two-year extensions. And he’s eager to put pen to paper to keep the good times rolling.

Perryman is hopeful he will also be putting pen to paper on a new contract with the Giants in the near future.

“That’s obviously working away in the background,” he said.

“You see a lot of the good teams and back lines over the years that have won big finals, they keep their core group together. I feel like that’s the kind of group we’ve got and it’s something you don’t want to leave, that’s for sure.

“They’re all playing career-best footy, and they’re only young as well so they’ve got another 10 years ahead of them. There’s also the next wave coming through who want to be the next Buckley, Idun or Taylor.

“That’s the culture we want to build here to keep our club up and contending for finals each year.”

Last edited:
Madden and Wardius re-sign!

Wow, OK, that's a surprise. Less surprised at Madden - although 2 years definitely - than Wardius, who's been injured and hasn't played. Clearly, the club is satisfied with both of them.

RE Perryman, I'd be incredibly surprised if he were to leave after reading this story.

Contract signing can't be too far off for Perryman or Taylor based on the recent media stories, I'd say.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/you-dont-want-to-leave-why-unheralded-giants-defender-harry-perryman-wants-to-keep-the-good-times-rolling-at-gws/news-story/0a28f60e6be5942214dc6317aabf64ca
Perryman's partner, Jamie Lee Price is still a staple in the Giants netball team, so it'd probably have to be a monumental offer for him to leave everything he has here behind

Mention of GWS still being interested in Elliott Himmelberg in an AFL article in SMH. You would have to think that he's a replacement for Keeffe. Essentially a multi-purpose tall, who can play in defence, forward, or (break glass) ruck. The latter means that we don't need to invest in another ruckman behind Briggs, Preuss & the developing Madden. He's 26, not especially good but covers a lot of positions at a cheap price, and as a bonus probably keeps HH happy as well.

Himmelberg still on Giants’ radar

The Giants are still monitoring the performance of Elliott Himmelberg, the brother of star defender Harry, according to a club source who wanted to remain anonymous, after they failed to secure him during last season’s trade period when he had a year remaining on his contract.

This time around the tall Crow is an unrestricted free agent and could come cheap if he shows enough to convince GWS he is worth a second chance given his battle to establish himself at Adelaide. Himmelberg, who has played 41 games since making his debut with Adelaide in 2018, has been playing in defence in the SANFL, adding another string to his bow as the 198-centimetre swingman attempts to prove he has a future in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mention of GWS still being interested in Elliott Himmelberg in an AFL article in SMH. You would have to think that he's a replacement for Keeffe. Essentially a multi-purpose tall, who can play in defence, forward, or (break glass) ruck. The latter means that we don't need to invest in another ruckman behind Briggs, Preuss & the developing Madden. He's 26, not especially good but covers a lot of positions at a cheap price, and as a bonus probably keeps HH happy as well.

Himmelberg still on Giants’ radar

The Giants are still monitoring the performance of Elliott Himmelberg, the brother of star defender Harry, according to a club source who wanted to remain anonymous, after they failed to secure him during last season’s trade period when he had a year remaining on his contract.

This time around the tall Crow is an unrestricted free agent and could come cheap if he shows enough to convince GWS he is worth a second chance given his battle to establish himself at Adelaide. Himmelberg, who has played 41 games since making his debut with Adelaide in 2018, has been playing in defence in the SANFL, adding another string to his bow as the 198-centimetre swingman attempts to prove he has a future in the AFL.
Cheap cover as Harry will pay him out of his contract ;)

PMBangers Anyone to watch from our academy this year. Delana? have you seen Logan Smith play? I can't quite tell if he'll be good at the AFL level....

PMBangers Anyone to watch from our academy this year. Delana? have you seen Logan Smith play? I can't quite tell if he'll be good at the AFL level....
Joey I like, has good athleticism and a mean side step on him. Think he's got a rugby background which explains his hard at it approach, probably a Cat B chance at best atm but hasn't played at rep level yet either.

Smith is a pretty standard ruck though, with Madden being re-signed I'm not sure he's in our thinking at this stage

I wanted us to take the future 1st.
Could have been used in a trade or to take a future star...
That said...we haven't seen Gothard yet.
Me too.
That said
But he really wanted Gotthard and got him.
He wanted Leake, got him too.
He stands by his convictions and has been overall pretty good.
I'm happy for him to stay true.

Me too.
That said
But he really wanted Gotthard and got him.
He wanted Leake, got him too.
He stands by his convictions and has been overall pretty good.
I'm happy for him to stay true.
I suppose the other element to consider is go home factor. If those guys want to stay in Sydney then their draft value to our club is higher than others might have them

Hi Giant fans.

What future do you see for Josh Fahey? He gets big stats in the reserves but few senior opportunities.
Does he have a long-term future? Is his disposal a problem? Or do you think he is just developing nicely?

Hi Giant fans.

What future do you see for Josh Fahey? He gets big stats in the reserves but few senior opportunities.
Does he have a long-term future? Is his disposal a problem? Or do you think he is just developing nicely?
I think we expect that he has a future. He's a long kicker of the ball, but probably just needs to tidy up a little bit in striking the right balance between aggressive intent and safety/retention when coming out of defence. There's no "right" formula there, and even with our current regular first graders in Ash & Whitfield some fans are questioning whether they turn it over too much ... but they are the source of much of our counterattack that has worked pretty well since mid-2023.

But he's definitely in line behind those two at the moment, and also Isaac Cumming (albeit he's injured at present). We're probably pessimistic about holding onto Cumming, with Fahey remaining the "developing" player for a little time yet. If he bangs the door down demanding selection, then I'd expect he or one of the others to push to a wing spot.

So, yes, long-term future but he still needs a little more development, which is pretty normal. Everyone doesn't just rock straight into an AFL first grade team.

Hi Giant fans.

i feel he is an AFL player for sure. Stuck behind a couple of good ones who play a similar game.
Disposal is good, a little light at the moment.

GIANTS ACADEMY​

FIXTURE:

vs. Tasmania Devils | Sun April 21, 12:30pm @ Blacktown ISP
vs. Sandringham Dragons | Sun April 28, 12:40pm @ Trevor Barker Oval
vs. Murray Bushrangers | Sat May 4, 1:10pm @ Albury Sports Ground

DRAFT-AGE TALENT:

Twin talls Cooper Bell and Logan Smith are sure to be imposing figures for the orange team. Bell is likely to explore his versatility at 198cm and can virtually play any position, while Smith looks a lock for the primary ruck spot. Local talent Josaia Delana is another to watch through midfield.

Over-ager Charlie McCormack is another high flier and promises to build on a top-age campaign littered with exciting moments. Fellow 2005-born players Daniel Gauci and Jackson Savage should also returning to the program. The latter has been based over in Adelaide.

THE FUTURE:

A bunch of Giants Academy products who turned out at last year’s Under 16 championships now have alignments to Coates Talent League regions. That includes MVP Ryder Corrigan, defender Harrison Wilson, tall forward Liam Hetherton (all Murray Bushrangers), and Liam Gronow (Bendigo Pioneers).

Nonetheless, forwards Harper Bromson and Riley Hansen are sure to provide capable avenues to goal. Both measure up at over 190cm and are handy marking targets. Explosive defender Lachlan Moresi is another to jot down, possessing raw strength and room for growth.

GIANTS ACADEMY​

FIXTURE:

vs. Tasmania Devils | Sun April 21, 12:30pm @ Blacktown ISP
vs. Sandringham Dragons | Sun April 28, 12:40pm @ Trevor Barker Oval
vs. Murray Bushrangers | Sat May 4, 1:10pm @ Albury Sports Ground

DRAFT-AGE TALENT:

Twin talls Cooper Bell and Logan Smith are sure to be imposing figures for the orange team. Bell is likely to explore his versatility at 198cm and can virtually play any position, while Smith looks a lock for the primary ruck spot. Local talent Josaia Delana is another to watch through midfield.

Over-ager Charlie McCormack is another high flier and promises to build on a top-age campaign littered with exciting moments. Fellow 2005-born players Daniel Gauci and Jackson Savage should also returning to the program. The latter has been based over in Adelaide.

THE FUTURE:

A bunch of Giants Academy products who turned out at last year’s Under 16 championships now have alignments to Coates Talent League regions. That includes MVP Ryder Corrigan, defender Harrison Wilson, tall forward Liam Hetherton (all Murray Bushrangers), and Liam Gronow (Bendigo Pioneers).

Nonetheless, forwards Harper Bromson and Riley Hansen are sure to provide capable avenues to goal. Both measure up at over 190cm and are handy marking targets. Explosive defender Lachlan Moresi is another to jot down, possessing raw strength and room for growth.
Do we have access to Cooper Bell and Smith

OK, I am not an expert in where all of our academy kids hail from, nor the intricacies of the academy ... however, I have seen Cooper Bell named in past GWS Academy teams as hailing from Belconnen, and Logan Smith from Queanbeyan. If so, then GWS will have access.

As well, as per the article, the Riverina-based kids who cannot be gotten as part of the academy seem to have all been removed from the U18 team - Ryder Corrigan & Harrison Wilson. I presume that they can still be selected for the Allies based on playing for their CTL clubs.

PMBangers probably has a better handle on that stuff.

OK, I am not an expert in where all of our academy kids hail from, nor the intricacies of the academy ... however, I have seen Cooper Bell named in past GWS Academy teams as hailing from Belconnen, and Logan Smith from Queanbeyan. If so, then GWS will have access.

As well, as per the article, the Riverina-based kids who cannot be gotten as part of the academy seem to have all been removed from the U18 team - Ryder Corrigan & Harrison Wilson. I presume that they can still be selected for the Allies based on playing for their CTL clubs.

PMBangers probably has a better handle on that stuff.
Yeah we definitely have access to Bell and Smith.

Corrigan, Wilson and Co. no longer have any alignment with the GIANTS, its just the 2 division nature of the U16s that puts them in our academy team for it, but they'll still be Allies eligible

Remove this Banner Ad

Back