2018 P8 – Tarryn Thomas Mid
2020 P3 – Will Phillips Mid
2020 P13 – Tom Powell Mid
2021 P1 – Jason Horne-Francis* Mid/Fwd
2022 P3 – Harry Sheezle Mid/Fwd
2022 P4 – George Wardlaw Mid
2023 P2 – Colby McKercher Mid
2023 P4 – Zane Duursma Mid/Fwd

Position summary isn't mine, usually how Zero Hanger described them in their draft year.

Obviously not all the same type of midfielder, but that's insane! Aside from how you'd have to be lacking in other areas as a result of this tunnel vision, how do you develop them all? There's only so much you can get out of them being played as small forwards and half-backs. A few probably won't even get to show enough that you'd get much for them at the trade table in future. E.g. Will Phillips might even go for a second round pick at the end of this year, because he's only played a handful of good games and started this season in the twos. So, it's not like you just swap them out for gun KPPs...

North Melbourne ALL First Round Draft Picks Since 2016
2016 P12 – Jy Simpkin Mid/Fwd
2017 P4 – Luke Davies-Uniacke Mid

Position summary isn't mine, usually how Zero Hanger described them in their draft year.

Obviously not all the same type of midfielder, but that's insane! Aside from how you'd have to be lacking in other areas as a result of this tunnel vision, how do you develop them all? There's only so much you can get out of them being played as small forwards and half-backs. A few probably won't even get to show enough that you'd get much for them at the trade table in future. E.g. Will Phillips might even go for a second round pick at the end of this year, because he's only played a handful of good games and started this season in the twos. So, it's not like you just swap them out for gun KPPs...

That is actually hilarious. If they drafted all KPFs it’d be dansters dream!

2023 thread is closed, so just chucking this here for those who doubted we had a big crack at Reid.

At least two clubs, North Melbourne and Melbourne, put offers involving multiple top end draft picks to get their hands on the number one selection and Reid.

North’s offer was for pick three (which eventually became pick four and Zane Duursma) and two of the three picks North had in the late teens which pushed up into the early twenties after academy bids and became Taylor Goad, Will Dawson and Riley Hardeman.

Melbourne offered two first rounders – the picks that got them Caleb Windsor and Koltyn Tholstrup – a future first round pick and a late second round pick.

West Coast viewed the Melbourne offer as stronger than North’s. They told the Kangaroos the starting point for any negotiation for number one and Reid had to be picks two and three (Colby McKercher and Duursma) with at least one more pick added in to make them seriously consider the deal.

North Melbourne ALL First Round Draft Picks Since 2016
2016 P12 – Jy Simpkin Mid/Fwd
2017 P4 – Luke Davies-Uniacke Mid

Easy; some make it, and others might be trade bait along the way. some would become forward-mids, some defender-mids, and other pure mids.

Those who are surplus, go back into the system with a 2nd chance.

As the engine room, it pays to draft too heavily in one main area, so you not relying too-heavily on luck playing a part. good or bad luck.

you should draft for the engine room ahead of the forward-line as a basic rebuild method. you want the mids to learn to work Rrsses off, defending and offensively, before the team learns to score easily.

A strong forward-line IMV, can spoil up-comin mids, allowing they're work ethic to under-develop...

Easy; some make it, and others might be trade bait along the way. some would become forward-mids, some defender-mids, and other pure mids.

Those who are surplus, go back into the system with a 2nd chance.

As the engine room, it pays to draft too heavily in one main area, so you not relying too-heavily on luck playing a part. good or bad luck.

you should draft for the engine room ahead of the forward-line as a basic rebuild method. you want the mids to learn to work Rrsses off, defending and offensively, before the team learns to score easily.

A strong forward-line IMV, can spoil up-comin mids, allowing they're work ethic to under-develop...

Oh, I agree with needing redundancy, but surely 6 first round mids is sufficient? And, what forwards? What defenders? They're bloody lucky to have landed Nick Larkey for a pick 73 and Zurhaar for a rookie pick! At what point do you start to invest good picks in those areas? After 8 *in' years of mids?

No, maybe you're right, I'm sure they know what they're doing. We'll let results speak for themselves, eh?

Oh, I agree with needing redundancy, but surely 6 first round mids is sufficient? And, what forwards? What defenders? They're bloody lucky to have landed Nick Larkey for a pick 73 and Zurhaar for a rookie pick! At what point do you start to invest good picks in those areas? After 8 *in' years of mids?

No, maybe you're right, I'm sure they know what they're doing. We'll let results speak for themselves, eh?
Lets see; what 6 mids you say, from over about 4 seasons, less Horne-Francis... lets say one of those shows the right-stuff each seasons draft... maybe 3 of the 6 you mentioned, less Horne-Francis.

The surplus mids might go back to defence/offence, or not be up to it; or simply traded out.? for picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets see; what 6 mids you say, from over about 4 seasons, less Horne-Francis... lets say one of those shows the right-stuff each seasons draft... maybe 3 of the 6 you mentioned, less Horne-Francis.

The surplus mids might go back to defence/offence, or not be up to it; or simply traded out.? for picks.

Yep, happy to be proven wrong. I'm sure things will start turning around for them by 2021/22 or thereabouts.

2023 thread is closed, so just chucking this here for those who doubted we had a big crack at Reid.

At least two clubs, North Melbourne and Melbourne, put offers involving multiple top end draft picks to get their hands on the number one selection and Reid.

North’s offer was for pick three (which eventually became pick four and Zane Duursma) and two of the three picks North had in the late teens which pushed up into the early twenties after academy bids and became Taylor Goad, Will Dawson and Riley Hardeman.

Melbourne offered two first rounders – the picks that got them Caleb Windsor and Koltyn Tholstrup – a future first round pick and a late second round pick.

West Coast viewed the Melbourne offer as stronger than North’s. They told the Kangaroos the starting point for any negotiation for number one and Reid had to be picks two and three (Colby McKercher and Duursma) with at least one more pick added in to make them seriously consider the deal.

Who doubted it?

Why else do I come here
Ok so here are the reasons why we should keep Brown:

• played in an under 17 chess team that were Tasmanian champions
  • shaved head for charity
  • wore vegan suit to Brownlow night
  • has a really long run up to kick goals
  • seems really nice

It’s easy to just cast off your older players, but unless the next draft has some chess-playing, bald, animal-loving, nice people with interesting goal-kicking routines then we would be remiss not to retain Benny for another 3-4 years

Ok so here are the reasons why we should keep Brown:

• played in an under 17 chess team that were Tasmanian champions
  • shaved head for charity
  • wore vegan suit to Brownlow night
  • has a really long run up to kick goals
  • seems really nice

It’s easy to just cast off your older players, but unless the next draft has some chess-playing, bald, animal-loving, nice people with interesting goal-kicking routines then we would be remiss not to retain Benny for another 3-4 years
Vegan suit?

Was it edible!?

Vegan suit?

Was it edible!?
No clue. I was however intrigued.

I love that you find all this gear around being sold as a “vegan leather bag”. So basically what used to be called fake leather, but now at three times the price!

Assuming we can pay Brayshaw outside the cap we should be throwing the house at McLuggage, Elite outside mid would fit beautifully.
He ain't leaving Brisbane for Brayshaw money I wouldn't think. Can't have 3 miss on a million either I think we're pretty stuffed with the Oliver over pay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back