List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think before you post, or just make up a scenario in your head then melt about it?

Petracca plays primarily mid
Melksham will retire end of this year
Lukosius we haven’t been linked to at all
Billings isn’t a mid sized player…
Hayward we were linked to, as were two other clubs
McAdam is injury prone and old
Tholstrup plays small
Yze we don’t even know if he’s any good!

• Petracca plays forward of the ball majority of the time (ANB plays his defensive role after stoppages)
  • Melksham - if not Melksham than let’s add Sestan to the list. That said - Melksham is still on our list so why not include listed players?
  • Lukosius my post was in response to posters saying we should get him
  • Billings is 185cm, how can you get any more mid sized. (Hayward 186cm for comparison)
  • Tholstrupp - how does he “play small”? He is 186cm. Doesn’t scream small to me
  • Mcadam - he is 28, not sure when that started constituting as “old”. If we want to replace blokes who are 28 we have bigger holes than mid sized forwards
  • Yze - How will he even get a chance to get good when Casey is flooded with medium sized forwards. Will be another case of Jefferson not getting a run ahead of Schache/Tmac/Brown ect

• Petracca plays forward of the ball majority of the time (ANB plays his defensive role after stoppages)
  • Melksham - if not Melksham than let’s add Sestan to the list. That said - Melksham is still on our list so why not include listed players?
  • Lukosius my post was in response to posters saying we should get him
  • Billings is 185cm, how can you get any more mid sized. (Hayward 186cm for comparison)
  • Tholstrupp - how does he “play small”? He is 186cm. Doesn’t scream small to me
  • Mcadam - he is 28, not sure when that started constituting as “old”. If we want to replace blokes who are 28 we have bigger holes than mid sized forwards
  • Yze - How will he even get a chance to get good when Casey is flooded with medium sized forwards. Will be another case of Jefferson not getting a run ahead of Schache/Tmac/Brown ect
Petracca plays forward of the stoppage so that makes him a medium forward. Makes no sense
Melksham will be retired so remove him
Lukosius isn't on our list yet so stupid to say
Billings and Tholstrup play nothing like medium forwards, another stupid comparison
McAdam is the first bloke who plays a medium forward here, well done on getting one!

Noah Yze might not even be drafted. Why even ******* bother including him is hilarious

Lukosius would probably cost 2 first rounders. F* that for a soft campaigner. Nice leg, but we'd have to massively overpay
I reckon he’d go cheap to be honest - and we wouldn’t be interested anyway.

GC are going to spit out some decent quality players over the next couple of years. Their young list is starting to look ridiculous.

GC are going to spit out some decent quality players over the next couple of years. Their young list is starting to look ridiculous.
Won't be long before the 2 plastic franchises play off in a GF. Been gifted a truckload of talent. GWS should be 2 flags deep already. They've easily had the most talent on a list of any club. You could build a top 4 team with who They've let go.

And I reckon you'll be surprised what Lukosius will cost. Some team will offer something way above what he's worth.

lukosius isn’t costing 1 first rounder let alone 2

That said we don’t need yet another NQR forward on our list. We probably have more NQR forwards on our list than any other club.

lukosius isn’t costing 1 first rounder let alone 2

That said we don’t need yet another NQR forward on our list. We probably have more NQR forwards on our list than any other club.
GC aren't giving up a contracted Lukosius for a 2nd round pick. Lukosius would be very tempting for a team thereabouts. Crows were offering a first rounder and McAdam for Petty. I'd argue a side would pay more for Lukosius.

GC aren't giving up a contracted Lukosius for a 2nd round pick. Lukosius would be very tempting for a team thereabouts. Crows were offering a first rounder and McAdam for Petty. I'd argue a side would pay more for Lukosius.
GC do have form with cooking their salary cap. If Lukosius is in big coin they need to get off the books could see them taking a cheaper offer.

Agree though that the SA teams would probably bid up the price a bit unless we convince him to select us

GC do have form with cooking their salary cap. If Lukosius is in big coin they need to get off the books could see them taking a cheaper offer.

Agree though that the SA teams would probably bid up the price a bit unless we convince him to select us
Would fit nicely as both SA teams. A Vic team would have to massively overpay you'd think. Nice leg on him, but I'd be disappointed if we brought him over on good coin giving up most likely far too much draft capital when someone like Hayward would cost half as much with similar impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End of this year will see Brown, Schache, Smith, and possibly TMac and Petty gone. Plenty of space for more NQR forwards.
Agree there is a mini crisis on the way which won’t be fixable by going to the draft.

I’d be positive there are already plans in place from the list management team.

Could be looking to plug gaps with a 30+ tall forward for a couple of years from a team going down the youth path to buy time to find a more long term solution. Not Darling, but someone similar age bracket and similar team profile.

Could be looking to flip whatever they get for Petty if he goes for a somewhat similar age player. Like Riccardi from GWS as an example.

Don't they also have more academy prospects soon? Might trade out to build up points on their end. I can certainly see them trading out a few

That said with all the changes apparently coming i don't think we'd be trading away picks and losing points if we're going to have to pay through the nose for F/S

Don't they also have more academy prospects soon? Might trade out to build up points on their end. I can certainly see them trading out a few

That said with all the changes apparently coming i don't think we'd be trading away picks and losing points if we're going to have to pay through the nose for F/S
What is White and Yze projecting to be? I didn't think either were going to be potential top end picks.

Agree there is a mini crisis on the way which won’t be fixable by going to the draft.

I’d be positive there are already plans in place from the list management team.

Could be looking to plug gaps with a 30+ tall forward for a couple of years from a team going down the youth path to buy time to find a more long term solution. Not Darling, but someone similar age bracket and similar team profile.

Could be looking to flip whatever they get for Petty if he goes for a somewhat similar age player. Like Riccardi from GWS as an example.

In all the recent (predictable) Petty criticism on here, I think one thing missing is the consideration that he and Lever are our only best 22 KPPs in peak performance age range for us. Even if we get great picks for him, we're still going to end up with a massive hole in that part of our list demographic which then has the flow-on of us potentially wasting the rest of the careers of Trac, Oliver, Viney, May, Gawn, Lever, ANB, Fritsch etc.

I'm not sure getting more 30+ years old key forwards give us enough time period coverage for JVR (still really 3 years off peak age at least) and then whatever 18 year olds we bring in.

Even if we don't lose Petty, IMO that 24-28 year old KPP part of our list is in trouble from a quality perspective.

What is White and Yze projecting to be? I didn't think either were going to be potential top end picks.
Not entirely sure, although i know the suns are keen on White through their academy program. I think he's around 2nd round or up from what i've heard

Not sure on Yze

In all the recent (predictable) Petty criticism on here, I think one thing missing is the consideration that he and Lever are our only best 22 KPPs in peak performance age range for us. Even if we get great picks for him, we're still going to end up with a massive hole in that part of our list demographic which then has the flow-on of us potentially wasting the rest of the careers of Trac, Oliver, Viney, May, Gawn, Lever, ANB, Fritsch etc.

I'm not sure getting more 30+ years old key forwards give us enough time period coverage for JVR (still really 3 years off peak age at least) and then whatever 18 year olds we bring in.

Even if we don't lose Petty, IMO that 24-28 year old KPP part of our list is in trouble from a quality perspective.
This is the reason I expect Lamb and co to be trying to shake out a player or two from other clubs in that age range.

Drafting is all good and well, but to maximise the remaining 3-5 years of that high quality core it will be highly unlikely drafting alone will cover gaps. Certainly can’t rely on it.

This list management team have a very established history of targeting elite players to fill gaps with 1st rounders (May, Lever), 2nd rounders to get solid needs players (Melkshem, Hibberd, Brown), and then swooping on out-of-favour older players with later picks (Grundy kind of between this and the prior category, Hunter, Billings).

I don’t expect them to about face and operate far differently to what has brought significant success.

If Melbourne can’t get through trade or drafting/developing two-three AFL quality tall forwards, then like Richmond prior to Lynch the team may just have to run with a different forward setup out of necessity. Might not be the worst outcome.

This is the reason I expect Lamb and co to be trying to shake out a player or two from other clubs in that age range.

Drafting is all good and well, but to maximise the remaining 3-5 years of that high quality core it will be highly unlikely drafting alone will cover gaps. Certainly can’t rely on it.

This list management team have a very established history of targeting elite players to fill gaps with 1st rounders (May, Lever), 2nd rounders to get solid needs players (Melkshem, Hibberd, Brown), and then swooping on out-of-favour older players with later picks (Grundy kind of between this and the prior category, Hunter, Billings).

I don’t expect them to about face and operate far differently to what has brought significant success.

If Melbourne can’t get through trade or drafting/developing two-three AFL quality tall forwards, then like Richmond prior to Lynch the team may just have to run with a different forward setup out of necessity. Might not be the worst outcome.

Absolutely. Doesn't seem to be much left for us in the (reasonably gettable) uncontracted list, but perhaps we're trying to tempt someone over in the background? Will be interesting.

Absolutely. Doesn't seem to be much left for us in the (reasonably gettable) uncontracted list, but perhaps we're trying to tempt someone over in the background? Will be interesting.
I can’t see many obvious targets either. But McAdam wasn’t obvious (and has not been successful at all to date either) so I’m sure they’d be trying to shake a few loose that aren’t being spoken about.

I can see us making a play for Tilthorpe

Especially if Crows have Welsh, Petty and potentially Lukosius coming in to pair with Fogarty and Burgess.

He has the injury prone key forward DNA that runs in the dees blood.

Honestly, plenty on here b* and moan about how we play, but how's this mob going!? They are an embarrassment. Send them to Canberra and be done with them. If there senior players are deciding whether they stay or go on the direction of the club, then they are screwed! No one will stay. They couldn't even convince Ben McKay to stay!

Super talented, but one of the laziest players in the comp at the moment. Gives absolutely nothing defensively and just jogs from contest to contest.

Maybe a change in environment where he's not getting smashed every week would bring out the best in him (with a renewed attitude), but I'm not sold – would depend on the cost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back