List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, plenty on here b* and moan about how we play, but how's this mob going!? They are an embarrassment. Send them to Canberra and be done with them. If there senior players are deciding whether they stay or go on the direction of the club, then they are screwed! No one will stay. They couldn't even convince Ben McKay to stay!
They're exactly where we were ten years ago.

Super talented, but one of the laziest players in the comp at the moment. Gives absolutely nothing defensively and just jogs from contest to contest.

Maybe a change in environment where he's not getting smashed every week would bring out the best in him (with a renewed attitude), but I'm not sold – would depend on the cost.
Yeah, it's a pass. The only reason we'd have a look at him is if Oliver left. Even then i think we're ok. He's getting smashed in the middle with no Cunnington or Goldstein. I don't blame him for looking. The club is a rabble. He looks disinterested this season.

I was saying to someone the other day they really need to do what we did and bring a Bernie Vince type, then a few Daniel Cross sorts to progress. No doubt they will - Clarko hasn’t been there long enough for us to see how he goes turning over a list

Not convinced Clarkson is the saviour like Roos was. He just doesn't seem that into it. They seem to be building from the middle out which is weird. Odds on McKercher leaves for Tassie too. Sheezel is a gun, but yet to see him impact in the middle or forward. Their senior players are terrible. Got a few good kids but can see a few of their better players leaving if things don't turn around soon, which it's hard to see happening.

I was saying to someone the other day they really need to do what we did and bring a Bernie Vince type, then a few Daniel Cross sorts to progress. No doubt they will - Clarko hasn’t been there long enough for us to see how he goes turning over a list
We were very lucky to get those guys in hindsight. Vince was surplus to Adelaide and was seen as lazy. Getting him for a second rounder was a steal and we were bloody lucky he didn't say to Adelaide "piss off I'm not going there"

Cross right at the end of his career, nice to get a couple of decent seasons out of him. But clubs have been squeezing every last drop out of their champions these days.

Other thing was Roos came in with the mentality that our players were basically suffering from PTSD and we needed to just manage score more than win games early days.

Biggest difference between us back then and North is they've spent the better part of the decade at the bottom and they've simply refused to draft defenders, where it was basically our only line that wasn't a complete disaster.

Not convinced Clarkson is the saviour like Roos was. He just doesn't seem that into it. They seem to be building from the middle out which is weird. Odds on McKercher leaves for Tassie too. Sheezel is a gun, but yet to see him impact in the middle or forward. Their senior players are terrible. Got a few good kids but can see a few of their better players leaving if things don't turn around soon, which it's hard to see happening.
His first season was completely devastated by the Hawthorn scandal. Too soon to tell imo.

Their drafting has definitely been imbalanced. They are desperate for defenders. They should actually offer Tomlinson or Tmac a 1 year deal just to give them something down there.

We were very lucky to get those guys in hindsight. Vince was surplus to Adelaide and was seen as lazy. Getting him for a second rounder was a steal and we were bloody lucky he didn't say to Adelaide "piss off I'm not going there"

Cross right at the end of his career, nice to get a couple of decent seasons out of them. But clubs have been squeezing every last drop out of their champions these days.

Other thing was Roos came in with the mentality that our players were basically suffering from PTSD and we needed to just manage score more than win games early days.

Biggest difference between us back then and North is they've spent the better part of the decade at the bottom and they've simply refused to draft defenders, where it was basically our only line that wasn't a complete disaster.
Quite true.

Having Roos around was helpful. He prized defence and also knew that with an unbalanced list (putting it mildly) defensive pressure is easier to learn and a good starting point. It worked too as we started slowly to win some games, which makes a difference to the PTSD stuff. None of the games were beautiful to look at, but building up wins would slowly build confidence and investment. And the list turnover was very successful

His first season was completely devastated by the Hawthorn scandal. Too soon to tell imo.

Their drafting has definitely been imbalanced. They are desperate for defenders. They should actually offer Tomlinson or Tmac a 1 year deal just to give them something down there.
Agree. Their back six on the weekend was a war crime

1000009002.jpg

Tomlinson might make them worse! But we'll take their priority pick from them if they like!

Yeah bizarre. It's like they've totally ignored their defence. I guess they have the picks and should have $$ to spend. They could go hard for a Taylor and make him the highest paid players in the comp. Who knows. But they can't keep this up much longer surely. This will be what, 5 years in a row bottom 2 with no signs of improving.

Tomlinson might make them worse! But we'll take their priority pick from them if they like!

Yeah bizarre. It's like they've totally ignored their defence. I guess they have the picks and should have $$ to spend. They could go hard for a Taylor and make him the highest paid players in the comp. Who knows. But they can't keep this up much longer surely. This will be what, 5 years in a row bottom 2 with no signs of improving.
Remember during their streak against us they were always so proud of never bottoming out. Never got what they had to be smug about.

I hate the roos. Hope they fold.

They won't get any a-graders where they're at. We tried to get Josh Kennedy when Roos came, I doubt he even picked up the phone. Good players want to play for good teams and the difference in money isn't going to be enough to get someone like that over the line.

They just need older blokes and fringe players who can hold the fort for a couple of seasons while they develop some decent guys under them.

Not sure we've ever had a worse back 6 than this. I could be wrong. But how does a club who've come bottom two 4 years in a row have a backline this bad?
They've had plenty of chances to address their backline, but in the last eight national drafts, where they've made 34 picks in total, they have selected ONE KPD (two if you count Comben, now that they're trying him as a defender).

Bizarre list management, really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've had plenty of chances to address their backline, but in the last eight national drafts, where they've made 34 picks in total, they have selected ONE KPD (two if you count Comben, now that they're trying him as a defender).

Exactly. But hey, let's just give the handouts for their ineptness. Been horrible list management.

Its dumb also because they simply must trade in quality KPDs now, if they draft them and wait some of their kids will just leave because they’ll be awful.

Carlton did it right drafting KPPs first and mids later, we just traded for KPDs once the rest of the team was set.

And I too remember their fans laying the boot into us on here for asking for handouts, I have very little sympathy except for a couple mates who follow them.

Its dumb also because they simply must trade in quality KPDs now, if they draft them and wait some of their kids will just leave because they’ll be awful.

Carlton did it right drafting KPPs first and mids later, we just traded for KPDs once the rest of the team was set.

And I too remember their fans laying the boot into us on here for asking for handouts, I have very little sympathy except for a couple mates who follow them.
The only thing I reckon I agree with David King about is they should double up draft picks for the bottom 9
So the first round should be pick 1 and 10
Pick 2 and 11
3 and 12 etc.

Getting 1 and 19 and 37 does * all.
If you're elite at drafting you might get 2 good players. Takes 11 years to turnover the whole team it's way too slow especially because the salary cap restrictions mean bottom teams can't really poach anyone good. North should be able to pay their list 70% of the cap and offer Sam Taylor 2.5 million a year.

The only thing I reckon I agree with David King about is they should double up draft picks for the bottom 9
Pick 2 and 11
3 and 12 etc.

If you're elite at drafting you might get 2 good players. Takes 11 years to turnover the whole team it's way too slow especially because the salary cap restrictions mean bottom teams can't really poach anyone good. North should be able to pay their list 70% of the cap and offer Sam Taylor 2.5 million a year.

The cap floor is shocking for equalisation in the league yet no one talks about it. Imagine how much some spuds are overpaid at clubs like north.

The cap floor is shocking for equalisation in the league yet no one talks about it. Imagine how much some spuds are overpaid at clubs like north.
An then they wonder why they look like a team who doesn't care about winning. Davies Uniacke is probably on 800k a year and he doesn't even need to play well cause who's gonna take his spot

I’ve got a bit of a soft spot for North. I lived in North Melbourne for a bit about 25 years ago - it was a ******* great place to live, I loved it.

They’re in a particularly bad spot right now essentially because of Clarkson. His stocks are very, very low due to the racism stuff and the homophobic stuff. Whatever people’s own opinions about the right or wrongs of that, there’s no doubt there’s still plenty of blood in the water that the media are just circling, circling, circling.

Compare that to our time with Roos; he was just absolutely bulletproof at the time. Gave us the three years of clear air that we were gagging for. No way North get that. They are in deep s**t.

Pick 2 and 11
3 and 12 etc.

If you're elite at drafting you might get 2 good players.

Obviously you've got to nail the top draft picks to build a team around, and that's going to take time, but you've also got to find some players with lower draft picks to fill the team out, and trade effectively on the basis of needs, and North have failed badly at both of those.

Here are the players North have drafted since 2017 outside of the first round who are still at the club:

2017:

(ND 72) - Tristan Xerri

2018:

(ND 46) - Curtis Taylor
(ND 49) - Bailey Scott

2019:

(ND 31) - Charlie Comben

2020:

(ND 36) - Charlie Lazzaro
(ND 56) - Eddie Ford

2021:

(ND 22) - Josh Goater
(ND 35) - Paul Curtis
(ND 38) - Miller Bergman
(ND 59) - Jackson Archer

2022:

(ND 26) - Brayden George
(ND 56) - Cooper Harvey
(RD 1) - Blake Drury
(RD 19) - Hamish Free

Not a lot of hits there. Compare it to our drafting during the same time:

2017:

(ND 29) - Charlie Spargo
(ND 31) - Bailey Fristch
(ND 37) - Harrison Petty

2018:

(ND 27) - Tom Sparrow
(ND 33) - James Jordon
(ND 56) - Marty Hore
(ND 75) - Toby Bedford
(RD 15) - Kade Chandler

2019:

(ND 32) - Trent Rivers

2020:

(ND 21) - Jake Bowey
(ND 22) - Bailey Laurie
(MSD) - Daniel Turner

2021:

(ND 39) - Blake Howes
(ND 65) - Taj Wowoedin
(RD 16) - Judd McVee

Again, maybe not many superstars there, but at least we have found some pretty serviceable players with our lower picks. I think everyone on that list, with the possible exception of Turner and Laurie, would improve North's list at least. And then look at the players they've traded for / picked up with free agency during that time:

Jared Polec, Jasper Pittard, Dom Tyson, Aaron Hall, Aiden Bonar, Josh Walker, Lachie Young, Jaidyn Stephenson, Atu Bosenavulagi, Callum Coleman-Jones, Hugh Greenwood, Griffin Logue, Darcy Tucker.

It doesn't matter how many first round draft picks you get, you're not going to build a competitive team with that sort of list management.

I always love that took Greenwood as snubbing on the suns who intended to re-sign him by the rookie draft. Massive ******* steal guys, you sure played them

If you're going to * over the suns, do it the proper way with a really good player and by trade

Obviously you've got to nail the top draft picks to build a team around, and that's going to take time, but you've also got to find some players with lower draft picks to fill the team out, and trade effectively on the basis of needs, and North have failed badly at both of those.

Here are the players North have drafted since 2017 outside of the first round who are still at the club:

2017:

(ND 72) - Tristan Xerri

2018:

(ND 46) - Curtis Taylor
(ND 49) - Bailey Scott

2019:

(ND 31) - Charlie Comben

2020:

(ND 36) - Charlie Lazzaro
(ND 56) - Eddie Ford

2021:

(ND 22) - Josh Goater
(ND 35) - Paul Curtis
(ND 38) - Miller Bergman
(ND 59) - Jackson Archer

2022:

(ND 26) - Brayden George
(ND 56) - Cooper Harvey
(RD 1) - Blake Drury
(RD 19) - Hamish Free

Not a lot of hits there. Compare it to our drafting during the same time:

2017:

(ND 29) - Charlie Spargo
(ND 31) - Bailey Fristch
(ND 37) - Harrison Petty

2018:

(ND 27) - Tom Sparrow
(ND 33) - James Jordon
(ND 56) - Marty Hore
(ND 75) - Toby Bedford
(RD 15) - Kade Chandler

2019:

(ND 32) - Trent Rivers

2020:

(ND 21) - Jake Bowey
(ND 22) - Bailey Laurie
(MSD) - Daniel Turner

2021:

(ND 39) - Blake Howes
(ND 65) - Taj Wowoedin
(RD 16) - Judd McVee

Again, maybe not many superstars there, but at least we have found some pretty serviceable players with our lower picks. I think everyone on that list, with the possible exception of Turner and Laurie, would improve North's list at least. And then look at the players they've traded for / picked up with free agency during that time:

Jared Polec, Jasper Pittard, Dom Tyson, Aaron Hall, Aiden Bonar, Josh Walker, Lachie Young, Jaidyn Stephenson, Atu Bosenavulagi, Callum Coleman-Jones, Hugh Greenwood, Griffin Logue, Darcy Tucker.

It doesn't matter how many first round draft picks you get, you're not going to build a competitive team with that sort of list management.
None of those later picks we drafted probably end up good if north take them. They have no development and no leadership.

I’ve got a bit of a soft spot for North. I lived in North Melbourne for a bit about 25 years ago - it was a ******* great place to live, I loved it.

They’re in a particularly bad spot right now essentially because of Clarkson. His stocks are very, very low due to the racism stuff and the homophobic stuff. Whatever people’s own opinions about the right or wrongs of that, there’s no doubt there’s still plenty of blood in the water that the media are just circling, circling, circling.

Compare that to our time with Roos; he was just absolutely bulletproof at the time. Gave us the three years of clear air that we were gagging for. No way North get that. They are in deep s**t.
Clarkson is looking more like a latter day Malthouse than a Paul Roos. Not sure the hearts in it anymore. Especially with all the racist and homophobic issues.

They have a pretty solid 4-5 to build around. Sheezel, Larkey, McKercher, Wardlaw and Duursma. Problem is 4 of those are still under 20. They are so void of leadership it wouldn't surprise me if Sheezel is captain next year. They've f*d up their recruiting more than drafting. Someone mentioned Daniel Cross/Bernie Vince. Throw in Jordan Lewis as well. These guys paved the way during a time where our high draft picks needed to develop. North have either ignored this path or simply drafted the wrong player. I don't see any leaders out there. LDU looks to have checked out and Simpkin is overrated imo.

Clarkson is looking more like a latter day Malthouse than a Paul Roos. Not sure the hearts in it anymore. Especially with all the racist and homophobic issues.

They have a pretty solid 4-5 to build around. Sheezel, Larkey, McKercher, Wardlaw and Duursma. Problem is 4 of those are still under 20. They are so void of leadership it wouldn't surprise me if Sheezel is captain next year. They've f*d up their recruiting more than drafting. Someone mentioned Daniel Cross/Bernie Vince. Throw in Jordan Lewis as well. These guys paved the way during a time where our high draft picks needed to develop. North have either ignored this path or simply drafted the wrong player. I don't see any leaders out there. LDU looks to have checked out and Simpkin is overrated imo.
Their version of the heart & soul father-son is Luke McDonald. Turned up a year after Viney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back