2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s never been a high possession winner, he used the ball ok when he got it and was good defensively, so I think he’ll keep his spot.

Curtin comes in for Pedlar for me and the side shuffles around a bit.
Yep if the side is shuffled for Smith then its an easier shuffle for Curtin

Apologies, I was sure it was Curtin. That's what I get for going from memory.

Was it Curtin who Nicks implied would be excited to see his name on the emergency list, or was that Dowling too?
Dowling.

Also on today, only watched last qtr mind you, but Schoenberg doesnt look too far off, and Ryan seems like he has something. Butts, Murphy didnt look great, but no doubt will be in..because Crows things…

Obviously Curtin with 30 touches and a goal is the standout, but Ryan with 23 touches is pretty impressive as well.

For those who were watching the game, were they good possessions? Where was he playing? 5 rebound 50s and 3 inside 50s makes me think he was on the wing.
Ryan also mostly off half-back and a little through the middle from what I saw (only the second half so far). Seems like a real prospect. Particularly with the injuries/form issues we've had with our half-backs he could be really useful.

My recollection is that Nicks said Curtin would play AFL this year, just a matter of when.

Got 1 vote from the channel 7 commentary team, somebody tell Nicks he's ready to go next week.

This is one of the things I don't get. Today was round 4 of the Sanfl. I am not sure how a month of Sanfl footy makes you more ready for AFL than the start of the season. Granted, if you needed a month back for fitness after a long term injury, great. but in my view, if he selects Curtin and Dowling now he admits they were ready to go at the beginning of the season. Both should be playing ahead of seasoned 'campaigners' sholl, mchenry etc.

Haven’t seen Curtin play so obviously can’t comment on form or if he deserves a senior game but 30 disposals and a goal is a great game.
Question is would you blood him in the heat of a showdown? Subject to that question how many players have played their first game in a showdown and who?

This is one of the things I don't get. Today was round 4 of the Sanfl. I am not sure how a month of Sanfl footy makes you more ready for AFL than the start of the season. Granted, if you needed a month back for fitness after a long term injury, great. but in my view, if he selects Curtin and Dowling now he admits they were ready to go at the beginning of the season. Both should be playing ahead of seasoned 'campaigners' sholl, mchenry etc.
I can only speculate that the interrupted pre-season meant Curtin missed a lot of scratch matches aka match sim, so they wanted him to show form in matches and demonstrate the ability to step up after colts last year.

Why Curtin wasn't played off the half back straight away I don't know, probably with Butts injured we had no one else, a bit frustrating for the lad but somebody tall had to play the key back role I guess.

They probably wanted to know of Curtin could ever cover in a match in case of an injury etc.

Haven’t seen Curtin play so obviously can’t comment on form or if he deserves a senior game but 30 disposals and a goal is a great game.
Question is would you blood him in the heat of a showdown? Subject to that question how many players have played their first game in a showdown and who?
A quick google says that Nathan Van Berlo and Chad Cornes made their debuts in showdowns. Not sure who else, I can't remember anyone recently.

I've said it before but Curtin is a bigger version of Jordan Dawson and must play around the ball. His foot skills and composure is brilliant. Should definitely make his AFL debut next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely no questions asked. Richmond blooded a debutant in a grand final ffs.

I bloody hope that is not our clubs thinking, why on earth does that even matter? He will get votes in the Magarey for that performance today and is every bit an elite talent. No excuse to be holding him back from AFL level any longer, has to debut this week.

First time Nicks mentions him in the presser without being asked directly about him and then goes out and dominates a game playing an attacking role. He's in.

Someone has been in his ear.

Tom Gilligan did from memory

And that equalled premiership

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back