Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 37!, 1 (busted) BIG FISH ALERT last October 9th) (9 confirmed! 17 Busted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t they bring in a rule where you needed to have a vacant list spot for every pick you wanted to use when matching? Which at least forces clubs to take layers at the end of the draft to complete their list. But they then re reversed that call a couple of years later?
Normally the way the AFL feels the temp of the water. They fly kites via media ( in this case John Ralph ) and see what a reaction it gets from clubs, fans and media alike. If favourable it is introduced a year or two later with a suit puffing out their chest as a forward thinker.

Didn’t they bring in a rule where you needed to have a vacant list spot for every pick you wanted to use when matching? Which at least forces clubs to take layers at the end of the draft to complete their list. But they then re reversed that call a couple of years later?

I'm with you. After the GWS debacle where they matched 6 or 7 first rounders with junk picks that blew out after each time. I think they matched a first rounder once with 6 or 7 picks in the 90s. Thats a vague memory but they definitely changed the rules. Whether it goes to the extent of what we think it is, i'm not sure.

8 figure? That's $10,000,000+. He's only 24 (turns 25 in June). If we assume it's a 7 year contract, then that's $1.5M per year. I guess that's not totally unreasonable, though it's definitely at the top end of "reasonable". With the salary cap going up dramatically, $1.5M is the new $1.2M.

He is a talent wasted at North. I do think the Crows should go after him. He has the potential to be a top 5 mid in the comp and in the right side, he'd have been there already.

Do I think he will end up at the Crows. No. I think a Melbourne club will throw the kitchen sink at him and our main archilles heel in any negotiation is Nicks. I can see it now.

Hamish: Sign here
LDU: Wow, I'm so excited to be joining such an fantastic group of exciting talent
Hamish: please, sign here
LDU: OK, pass the pen.....oh wait, who's the coach again?
Hamish: ****....Cough(nicks)Cough
LDU: Sorry..what was that?
Hamish: (lowering the head in embarrassment) Nicks
LDU: F&^K THAT, Hawthorn it is!

I agree. That's way too much for him.

He's kidding himself if he wants 8 figures

Turns 25 this year, so at best a club might contract him until he's 33. That's an eight year deal. But realistically he'll only be playing top end football for maybe 5 of those seasons (26 to 30 years old)

So he wants to be paid minimum $1.25 million a year over 8 years? And if he's only average for the last three (let's say worth $600k), then he's basically asking for $1.6 million a year for his prime years

No club would give a player who's been in the system for 7 years without a single All Australian squad appearance that amount per season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW I think he’ll be very lucky to be offered those kind of figures from any side

Thats his managers perceived value on potential of success.

Clubs will have their own value. Most clubs will probably go 5-6 with at 90% of his asking price per season not his end demand of 8 figures.

I don’t get the lack of appreciation for LDU, I thought he was a quality player?

Can find the ball, good balance in contested and uncontested possessions, kicks to handballs, clearance player, metres gained player, good disposal efficiency, tackles and applies pressure.

I think he would compliment our midfield beautifully.

Then throw in the North factor, playing for them would be enough to break any decent players spirit.

24 year old, 188 cms, strong body.

If we are any chance of getting him I’d be after him at 100 miles an hour. Who else we going to spend our money on? It’s not as if we’ve got players knocking down the door to come.

But besides money why would he come to our club given we aren’t a premiership contender? So we need to pay up.

I don’t get the lack of appreciation for LDU, I thought he was a quality player?

Can find the ball, good balance in contested and uncontested possessions, kicks to handballs, clearance player, metres gained player, good disposal efficiency, tackles and applies pressure.

I think he would compliment our midfield beautifully.

Then throw in the North factor, playing for them would be enough to break any decent players spirit.

24 year old, 188 cms, strong body.

If we are any chance of getting him I’d be after him at 100 miles an hour. Who else we going to spend our money on? It’s not as if we’ve got players knocking down the door to come.

But besides money why would he come to our club given we aren’t a premiership contender? So we need to pay up.
I'd prefer McCluggage.

For sure, but LDU is more likely to leave his club. If it’s McCluggage or bust, are you turning your back on LDU?
Not sure. I don't think I'd be super keen on throwing all our eggs into the LDU basket.
He's not that good.

And we aren't that close to contending.

Could get two players (I.e. Cumming and Hayward) upgrading two spots, then go again next year?

Not sure. I don't think I'd be super keen on throwing all our eggs into the LDU basket.
He's not that good.

Could get two players (I.e. Cumming and Hayward) upgrading two spots, then go again next year?
That’s my point, isn’t he that good? I watch him play and every stat indicates he’s a well balanced quality mid.

Hayward we should be able to get as well. We are loaded

He's not that good.

Our biggest issue is midfielders. LDU gives us a premier midfielder overnight. I also disagree, he is that good.

However, I don't see a club jumping at his asking price. Thats merely trying to see which clubs genuinely want him. We'd be a fool not to put a 6 year package together with a $7m value. at his door step.

The club needs mids and the biggest complaint for a long time is we haven't lured a big fish midfielder. This is how we get them, by putting our best offer on the table when the opportunities arise. Most often, name players dont change clubs. They just sign the next contract. So for one to fall out of a tree is rare, like pigs flying rare. Saying he isn't that good and putting our eggs in Hayward, Cumming and potentially Petty baskets means we yet again walk away from a premier opportunity and it doesn't solve our midfield issues. Means we rely on the draft and when we rise to a bottom range top 8 club, low first round draft picks become hard to get, which means your premier mids are all but gone.

I have no inside information, the crows may have already asked and he isn't interested. Who knows, but we'd be pure incompetent to not have a huge crack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back