Review AFLW Round 9 - Adelaide v North Melbourne. Sunday 29 October @ Norwood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

What. a. Team.

Incredible stuff. You just know they will never stop trying.
Didn't play great, but somehow got the win.

I honestly feel a bit sad for all those Crows supporters who decided not to jump on the AFLW team. They have spent decades hoping for a Crows team that would play with real passion and grit. Decades dreaming of a real Crows dynasty team.
We actually get everything and more and they don't see it.

Only a bit sad though. They made their choice.

A very very lucky win and Clarke should be relieved and hopefully when reviews game sees how they created free players so often.
Regarding Hatchard I asked weeks ago what has happened to her .cant mark anymore or break free just nothing handballs or kicks .
Thank heaven for Kelly what a excitement machine as one of few players who breaks free and create ,and for the Allen sisters ,what a ruckman we now have and now able to play Gould up forward.

Riddell does that to every team, to be fair.

I agree, what North did so much better than us is trust their inside mids to at least neutralise the contest, and so had outside players waiting to receive the ball. Whereas we seem to just send everyone into the contest, with Hatchard a couple of metres out the closest we get to an "outside" option. From there, we try to emerge from the contest by breaking through tackles and sidestepping opponents.

It works when we can dominate the inside contest, but against a team like North our entire midfield group only barely manages to break even, and then gets smashed on the outside.
Felt like North had more players around the contest most of the game.
We would tackle one, then another then another and the last person standing inside the contest was a north player who could handball it away easily, or run off with it. And despite that, North STILL had extras 30m off the contest. Felt like every hacked kick landed on a free North player.

Also several plays where North had 3-4 free players standing a kick ahead of the ball for for when they won it in the contest. Like... our defence just not even present on the screen!

I don't get what we were trying to do with the setup. If we were expecting to win it inside and handball it to a free player on the outside... we literally only did that once that I can recall, and that was Kelly kicking the winning goal.

Can sister Grace move west. We won't hold it against her for being a 3 team player.
She's no way near as good as Niamh. Watched her play last week to see if she had that same speed, and either she doesn't have it or she doesn't use it. She's 29 years old and a defender.

At the game today. Great atmosphere and crowd.

However the drums going after each goal is just pathetic and unneeded. Added nothing, is it someone bringing drums in or is it a club directed thing?

First match I've been to since the GF a couple of years ago.

Sent from my SM-T220 using Tapatalk

She's no way near as good as Niamh. Watched her play last week to see if she had that same speed, and either she doesn't have it or she doesn't use it. She's 29 years old and a defender.

Back when Niamh requested a trade to Adelaide I remember the WC supporters moaning that they wouldn't mind losing Grace, just not Niamh. From what I've seen since then, they were good judges! I don't think Grace would get in our side.

Sometimes I wonder if Amber Ward regrets having requested a trade back here. She would likely be playing every week over at West Coast. Still, I guess here she's a chance to do a Jas Hewett and snag a premiership from well outside the 21.

However the drums going after each goal is just pathetic and unneeded. Added nothing, is it someone bringing drums in or is it a club directed thing?

The cheer squad have had that drum for a few seasons now for both men’s and women’s games.

I think it’s fantastic and adds to the atmosphere at the ground.

The cheer squad have had that drum for a few seasons now for both men’s and women’s games.

I think it’s fantastic and adds to the atmosphere at the ground.
Really?
Even for the men's?

Why do we pay out Port for having the drummer in the car crowd when we do it too then?

Must be in the minority but personally don't like it.

First game you’ve been to for a couple of years and the first thing you do is slag off at supporters who probably go to every game? Poor form bud.

Tell me about this McLelland trophy thing… isn’t there a round to play where we could potentially finish above Melbourne? Does that not have a bearing on anything?

Unfortunately not. The McLelland trophy is awarded to the team who has the most wins over both the women's and men's competition for the year.

We can finish above Melbourne in AFLW, but we were obviously a mile behind them in the men's comp.

It's not just a token thing, either, it's a million dollar prize. Unsurprisingly Melbourne have been the main beneficiaries so far.

Tell me about this McLelland trophy thing… isn’t there a round to play where we could potentially finish above Melbourne? Does that not have a bearing on anything?

It's a combination of mens and womens H&A results. We didn't win enough men's games so we can't win it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sidenote, brucetiki might know, why weren’t they wearing their Pride round guernsey’s like other teams this round given they’re away next week?

The club refused to have a home Pride match this season (their excuse was it clashed with Toyota Good for Footy Round).

Their boys side won a s**t ton more games than our boys side hence why this last week doesn't really matter only Collingwood and Brisbane had a chance of topping Melbourne when you add up boy wins and girl wins together

The McLelland trophy and prize money is now the club with the most wins Men's and Women's side combined

Considering the fantastic support from the Rainbow Crows, that's very poor.

Very poor is putting it mildly.

First, there was the guernsey itself, which is, frankly half-arsed and clearly phoned in (in contrast, look how amazing Port’s Pride guernsey is).

This was followed by a heap on homophobic slurs on the the Facebook post Crowmania put up to sell the guernsey, that Crowmania refused to do anything about. Rainbow Crows got one of their contacts in the club to get Crowmania’s parent company to close comments on that post, but they still refused to take down any homophobic posts (which, when last I checked, are still on the post).

Then there was the decision to not have a home Pride game for the flimsiest of reasons - noting several clubs held home Pride games this week (and full credit to the likes of Sydney and Hawthorn for doing this).

I also note that we have never had a home Pride game during Pride Round itself, and it’s clear this is not a priority for the club.

Very poor is putting it mildly.

First, there was the guernsey itself, which is, frankly half-arsed and clearly phoned in (in contrast, look how amazing Port’s Pride guernsey is).

This was followed by a heap on homophobic slurs on the the Facebook post Crowmania put up to sell the guernsey, that Crowmania refused to do anything about. Rainbow Crows got one of their contacts in the club to get Crowmania’s parent company to close comments on that post, but they still refused to take down any homophobic posts (which, when last I checked, are still on the post).

Then there was the decision to not have a home Pride game for the flimsiest of reasons - noting several clubs held home Pride games this week (and full credit to the likes of Sydney and Hawthorn for doing this).

I also note that we have never had a home Pride game during Pride Round itself, and it’s clear this is not a priority for the club.
The Facebook comments are disgusting, and should have been deleted. The jumper is, as you say, very ordinary. It's more than disappointing, considering the number of LGBTQ+ players in the women's team and competition as a whole. I'm glad the Rainbow Crows are still prepared to be loud and proud with their support, considering what's happening off the field.

First game you’ve been to for a couple of years and the first thing you do is slag off at supporters who probably go to every game? Poor form bud.
Jenny, I was just saying I didn't like the drums. I wasn't having a go at any supporters. I thought it was something the club implemented not the supporters.

The atmosphere was great. The supporters were passionate, I was just saying I didn't like the drums.

The Facebook comments are disgusting, and should have been deleted. The jumper is, as you say, very ordinary. It's more than disappointing, considering the number of LGBTQ+ players in the women's team and competition as a whole. I'm glad the Rainbow Crows are still prepared to be loud and proud with their support, considering what's happening off the field.
I quite like the Guernsey?

I like that it's the crows guernsey but just in rainbow? What's wrong with it?

I quite like the Guernsey?

I like that it's the crows guernsey but just in rainbow? What's wrong with it?
It’s so boring, compared to other teams’ offerings:

Also bland and almost ugly compared to the lovely indigenous guernsey:

Attachments

• IMG_0106.jpeg
    IMG_0106.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 34
The club refused to have a home Pride match this season (their excuse was it clashed with Toyota Good for Footy Round).
You may know her, but I reached out to Jenny Smart you may know her through rainbow crows, she does have some pull at the club, and if she start asking questions they generally listen to her, foundation member CSG newsletter writer, I asked her if she can get someone to deal with those nasty comments and also put the onus on the club to seek out a home match during pride round.

I don't know if it'll help, but that's the only person I know with any sort of pull that can get some action happening.

Edit: never mind I got put back in my place very quickly and told I should call the club myself, she's too busy, oh well I tried she may be able to fix the crowmaina comments

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back