Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 37!, 1 (busted) BIG FISH ALERT last October 9th) (9 confirmed! 17 Busted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely. Club said they would be aggressive, and if rumours are correct, they are being just that. Will Day, Mason Redman, Errol Gulden … had a crack at them all! Can’t be said we aren’t trying

We have to throw godfather offers out there to lure happy players away from their clubs. Its one area of AFL I don't get. Every other professional player in any other professional sport gets a godfather deal, they take it and run. But in AFL, unless they feel the need to run home to mummy, they don't want to come. Except when they are on the trash heap of their current club or sick of not playing finals.

We have to throw godfather offers out there to lure happy players away from their clubs. Its one area of AFL I don't get. Every other professional player in any other professional sport gets a godfather deal, they take it and run. But in AFL, unless they feel the need to run home to mummy, they don't want to come. Except when they are on the trash heap of their current club or sick of not playing finals.
This is so right! Reality is it is going to be tough enticing non South Australian players to our club. The pull of home is too strong. Victorian players more often than not want to go home. There are exceptions .. Sloane ,Boak … but mostly they return to Victoria. It’s a challenge for all non Victorian clubs.
All you can do is penny up and try.. and I reckon we are doing that

Says everything though that they all said no.
Does it! Day was father son so has a connection to Hawthorn. Redman was tempted but stays loyal, which has to be respected. Gulden was never likely to leave .. happy where he is. These were all big swings, but at least we made them. Stop being so negative!

Does it! Day was father son so has a connection to Hawthorn. Redman was tempted but stays loyal, which has to be respected. Gulden was never likely to leave .. happy where he is. These were all big swings, but at least we made them. Stop being so negative!
Anyone can make an offer.

It’s about closing.

Will be exciting to see who we swing and miss at this year.

Who's leading the VFL goal kicking I wonder?
Have heard Hayward is a heavy chance to be back in Adelaide, but he's moving back to move back, so no guarantee we're interested or he'd pick us if us Port also wanted him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guarantee you if we offered Day a contract he couldn't have refused he would have come.
I have no idea what we offered .. but what’s an offer too good to refuse? 1 million per year, 1.2? Would you offer more?
Don’t know what Hawthorn counter offered. Just saying they would’ve offered an attractive offer, and with the family ties, would’ve been hard to move him.

I have no idea what we offered .. but what’s an offer too good to refuse? 1 million per year, 1.2? Would you offer more?
Don’t know what Hawthorn counter offered. Just saying they would’ve offered an attractive offer, and with the family ties, would’ve been hard to move him.
From what I read at the time it was 650ish.
Not enough. Should've been 800 plus.

Have heard Hayward is a heavy chance to be back in Adelaide, but he's moving back to move back, so no guarantee we're interested or he'd pick us if us Port also wanted him.

Misso is a Sydneysider.

What’s the saying about a man living where the wife grew up…..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If there’s a decent classy free agent that wants to come home and we don’t nab him with all the cap space we have, that wouldn’t be good

Nothing wrong with throwing super deals out there. This is what I don't get. We run around as a footy board accusing the crows of not trying hard enough to lure big fish and when it is revealed we did and failed, somehow we were in the wrong?

As far as I'm concerned, if we have the cash throw around as many super contracts to as many pure midfield stars as possible to come to the club. We need to find that midfielder somehow.

Yeah I didn’t get the hate for us offering Gulden that deal. What’s the harm in it?

Yeah I didn’t get the hate for us offering Gulden that deal. What’s the harm in it?

I think it started with Rowie, he accused us of being sucked into upping Guldens value for contract extension talks with Sydney.

Yet if we didn't have a go, he'd be the first one chirping at the end of the year about not trying hard enough to lure out of contract talent. And of course some happy clappers jump on and including those who should no better on this board.

Like do we want the club to be seen to be trying or dont we. Ive seen some dumb hypocritical stuff in my time but this is one of the top ones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back