No Oppo Supporters 2023 General AFLW Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is there such a slow timetable to build the number of games per AFLW season?

And why is it tied to metrics related to crowds and broadcast audiences? Could it be about $$? i.e. a longer season warrants a bigger salary but this requires better crowds and braodcast audiences to justify it? If so, my vibe is the players would love to play more games even without a salary increase. There salaries have been increased a lot and will continue to increase anyway, so I wonder if they won't be satisfied with these pay increases for the time being even if they are asked to play more games.
For sure $ play a part.
Might be more about ground and transport costs than player payment.
Also fear of killing the goose.

ACL injuries
AFLW competition statistically leads the world when compared to other team sports. The ACL injury rate in the AFLW competition is 3–7 times higher when compared to other female team sports and 10–19 times higher when compared to male team sports
anatomic risk factors, power, strength, and neuromuscular coordination deficits can be addressed with proven interventional strategies ... A lot can be said for good quality coaching
Which sports have successfully addressed and reduced the disparity between male and female ACL injury rates? ... The Australian Women’s Rugby 7s program ... appropriate leg power development and coordination training modalities
What are the contributing factors that make AFLW (Australian Football League Women’s) rates of ACL injuries particularly high? ... for various reasons, our female athletes have not had the background, or been afforded the same opportunities as our male athletes ... preparation is either inadequate or inappropriate

That's good to hear. Where did you see these comments? Wouldn't mind checking out what others have to say.

Also the sub forum on crowds and streaming on the main board.

Those ones, to save anyone else digging: 2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

I don't really know anything about the Melbourne market and vibe... but it does seem like a cultural difference.

But good choices by the club as well, North Sydney Oval is a great venue, and getting the 'Beer, food & footy festival' guys to do the last Henson Park game was an inspired choice. I know a lot of people think Henson is annoying to get to, but the flip side is there are lots of inner west people within walking & cycling distance who just like going to 'cool local stuff', whatever it is, and don't have preconceptions about AFLW sucking because we're not exposed to much of the Victorian media discourse.

Last edited:
From everything I've seen this year Demons and Crows are by far the best in the comp, in regards to fitness and match play.

We currently sit 13th on the ladder. Next 2 games are against Hawks and Bulldogs, which we will hopefully win - then Magpies and Freo who are currently above us but only on %. Our defence leaks too many goals which is costing us on % but we're actually outscoring teams 9-12 above us. If we can get our defence in order we can really make a play.

1696684970937.png

The round 9 game against Collingwood (at home - woohoo! pride game - double woohoo!) will be an absolute cracker. Can't wait!

I'm not too fussed if we play finals - will be great experience if we do but we'll only be making up the numbers. We're not a top 8 team, let alone a flag contender. If we make it, it will be due to our (rightfully) soft draw. We don't play a top 8 team for the rest of the season.

At the same time, I think we are looking like the season's most improved team. And if we should make finals, maybe by then we'll have improved enough to deserve to be there (I think we're continuing to improve fairly significantly, even in season) and it's not impossible that we could win an elimination final. Right now I feel like that is the absolute dream scenario/most we can hope for. I think finishing with an even ledger is looking more and more likely and that is already a great 2nd season.

The round 9 game against Collingwood (at home - woohoo! pride game - double woohoo!) will be an absolute cracker. Can't wait!

I'm not too fussed if we play finals - will be great experience if we do but we'll only be making up the numbers. We're not a top 8 team, let alone a flag contender. If we make it, it will be due to our (rightfully) soft draw. We don't play a top 8 team for the rest of the season.

At the same time, I think we are looking like the season's most improved team. And if we should make finals, maybe by then we'll have improved enough to deserve to be there (I think we're continuing to improve fairly significantly, even in season) and it's not impossible that we could win an elimination final. Right now I feel like that is the absolute dream scenario/most we can hope for. I think finishing with an even ledger is looking more and more likely and that is already a great 2nd season.
You can see the players learning each and every week. The effort has been there since day one but the smarts have skyrocketed. You can see from Gowans that they're exceeding expectations. I hope we keep up the terrific level of support. It must be very encouraging for them. Sadly I can't get there this week.

are you serious!?!
we were a mess this year and still made the finals, after almost everything that could go wrong did go wrong for the first two thirds of the season
we'll be a top four team next season and for several beyond that, and very much a premiership contender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magpies beat the Lions on the weekend so will be a tough ask. Not sure we'll be able to knock them off but every game is a chance to learn and grow so bring it!

Magpies beat the Lions on the weekend so will be a tough ask. Not sure we'll be able to knock them off but every game is a chance to learn and grow so bring it!

It's going to be massive. I can see a crowd record being set with lots of Swans and Pies fans turning up. I reckon we're a real chance. Happy to show faith, and definitely support. Maybe Moy's inside knowledge will help us too... ;)

I don't think it will happen but it's not inconceivable that we could win all 4 remaining games. The Ladies are on a large learning curve and have the talent to bother all 4 teams on a good day. They get better every game as their confidence and belief in themselves grows. Watching them progress is a real joy.

Those ones, to save anyone else digging: 2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

I don't really know anything about the Melbourne market and vibe... but it does seem like a cultural difference.

But good choices by the club as well, North Sydney Oval is a great venue, and getting the 'Beer, food & footy festival' guys to do the last Henson Park game was an inspired choice. I know a lot of people think Henson is annoying to get to, but the flip side is there are lots of inner west people within walking & cycling distance who just like going to 'cool local stuff', whatever it is, and don't have preconceptions about AFLW sucking because we're not exposed to much of the Victorian media discourse.
Henson is easily the better venue for me, I'm on the other side of Sydney for North Sydney Oval.

They just need to get the admission sorted out at Henson - these hand held scanners are complete shite.

It's going to be massive. I can see a crowd record being set with lots of Swans and Pies fans turning up. I reckon we're a real chance. Happy to show faith, and definitely support. Maybe Moy's inside knowledge will help us too... ;)
The Pies went full on aggro against the Lions. Two suspended. You'd think they're going to try it on against our young team I reckon.

BRISBANE and Collingwood will receive a pick in the middle of the first round of the upcoming NAB AFLW Draft, after the AFL decided upon compensation for the Priority Signing Period.
Carlton: "band two" for Lucy McEvoy (Sydney), end of first round

Collingwood: "band one" for Chloe Molloy (Sydney), mid-first round
Another great list management by the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back