Women's Footy 2022 AFLW Season Discussion (now Player Movement)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus......
It was a really dumb question.

It's no difference from asking whether Fagan should be concerned about boosting the strength of other clubs. Should he be fine with Neale going to Fremantle, because after all we've had more success recently than them so the AFL as a whole can seem stronger? Or McStay to Collingwood?

If any Lions supporter answers "yes" to any of that, they're full of crap - the aim of the club is ultimately to win premierships, not ensure Gold Coast or Collingwood or Fremantle do. Managing equality is the AFL's role, not the individual clubs'.

It was a really dumb question.

It's no difference from asking whether Fagan should be concerned about boosting the strength of other clubs. Should he be fine with Neale going to Fremantle, because after all we've had more success recently than them so the AFL as a whole can seem stronger? Or McStay to Collingwood?

If any Lions supporter answers "yes" to any of that, they're full of crap - the aim of the club is ultimately to win premierships, not ensure Gold Coast or Collingwood or Fremantle do. Managing equality is the AFL's role, not the individual clubs'.

Where did I say it was Starcevichs responsibility to ensure expansion clubs were competitive? This ******* forum sometimes can’t understand simple concepts

Its part of the game and usually hasn’t worked well. Expansion clubs take a while to get going if they ever do and usually fans overreact

Unfortunately Starce going over the top on a non-issue reduces his clout for complaining about real issues and opens us up to question marks over whether we have an unfair advantage given that the new clubs were supposed to raid all the top talent and yet we lost 1 player who had family reasons to leave

The only AFLW game I have attended was the disappointing MCG final. Really enjoy watching the women on the tv but I am showing my ignorance here.....
Is admittance to home n away games still free?

Where did I say it was Starcevichs responsibility to ensure expansion clubs were competitive? This ******* forum sometimes can’t understand simple concepts

Its part of the game and usually hasn’t worked well. Expansion clubs take a while to get going if they ever do and usually fans overreact

Unfortunately Starce going over the top on a non-issue reduces his clout for complaining about real issues and opens us up to question marks over whether we have an unfair advantage given that the new clubs were supposed to raid all the top talent and yet we lost 1 player who had family reasons to leave

Lol

Say what???

The majority of our best 22 received offers to move interstate.

This has been well reported on the AFLW board. Early speculation was we’d probably lose two or three of our best dozen players at the very least.

The fact that we didn’t, has largely been because of Starcevich.

I believe you really are barking up the wrong tree here.

Say what???

The majority of our best 22 received offers to move interstate.

This has been well reported on the AFLW board. Early speculation was we’d probably lose two or three of our best dozen players at the very least.

The fact that we didn’t, has largely been because of Starcevich.

I believe you really are barking up the wrong tree here.

I do not understand how Starce whinging would have meant players have stayed. Can anyone explain that?

And again, we lost 1 player. Most of our starting 22 could’ve switched clubs even without expansion teams if they wanted to.

And in the end the expansion teams will be pretty average and we’ll have a very strong season.

I understand the angst. Most of us on here thought the Suns would ruin us but we learnt from that experience

Tis really comes across like Eddie complaining about COLA

I find it weird that you feel this strongly about this.
We kept the bulk of our players during a challenging time to do so.
Good on Starce for doing what he thought was necessary. It show how good a leader he is and that he cares for the club and his players.

As a reminder this is what he said during a post game press conference

"I sort of know we're going to be under the pump for Sign and Trade pretty quickly, and we definitely know there's four clubs hovering around," Starcevich said.

"No, I'm not going to say anything, because I'm going to get very cranky about that."

Despite that, Starcevich then followed up his own statement.

"We've been in the comp six years, and we went through, a couple of years ago, the big four-team expansion, and that was like, Jesus, we're down to 17 players. In hindsight, it did us a massive favour because we brought in O'Dwyer, Bodey, Davidson, Dawes, Hickie, you name it," Starcevich said.

"We had a good off-season there to bring them in, took us a year or two to get cranking, but we're ok now. If it's going to happen again now, that's fine to say the competition needs to expand and we need players going here and there, but it never helps us. It never helps us.

"Because we're the ones who put all the time and effort in developing players, developing relationships and then what do you do? Just go and pull the rug out from – it drives me frickin' mad.

"I don't know if there's another way of doing it, but it drives me mad, because we run the team. We coach the team. We develop the players.

"I don't know what the answer is, but it absolutely drives me mad that big offers come in from clubs that aren't even in the comp, and they end up – the tail ends up wagging the dog.

"They make all the demands about how to get players. I've said too much. It's very disruptive. We're not the only club, whatever was reported yesterday about the Bulldogs, for example, jeez, come on."

I find it weird that you feel this strongly about this.
We kept the bulk of our players during a challenging time to do so.
Good on Starce for doing what he thought was necessary. It show how good a leader he is and that he cares for the club and his players.

Im not disputing this but he needs to picks his battles. When we’re right up the top of the ladder for the next few seasons these comments will look stupid. Can’t turn into Eddie McGuire and whinge about everything that doesn’t give us an advantage

Brisbane has confirmed five more re-signings, with Ally Anderson, Greta Bodey, Sophie Conway and Jesse Wardlaw all committing for two more seasons and Sharni Webb on board for season....afl.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did I say anything about expansion clubs? I've literally used your own phrasing of a "strong competition". I definitely agree with the latter part - it must be embarrassing when people replying regarding the simple concept you introduced is triggering.

I'll just highlight your dumb question again, since apparently memories need refreshing:
Its a rapidly expanding competition and these new teams need to be competitive. Does he not want the competition to be as strong as it can be?

Where did I say anything about expansion clubs? I've literally used your own phrasing of a "strong competition". I definitely agree with the latter part - it must be embarrassing when people replying regarding the simple concept you introduced is triggering.

I'll just highlight your dumb question again, since apparently memories need refreshing:

Yeah it's not a clear cut question but he has to be realistic. Either complain about the expansion (at the time and not in a post match press conference) or admit that he only wants to look after the strength of the club (and not the earning opportunity of the players).

And picking on the "dumb" questions when others suggested it means we offer up players for trade is not the sort of bullying mods should be a part of

Yeah it's not a clear cut question but he has to be realistic. Either complain about the expansion (at the time and not in a post match press conference) or admit that he only wants to look after the strength of the club (and not the earning opportunity of the players).
I think Starcevich was fine in saying what he said when he said it, I think he looks a bit silly now that everyone signed on, and I don't think those positions are mutually exclusive, nor do I think that him looking silly matters to the club (most are back - win!) or the AFLW competition.

And picking on the "dumb" questions when others suggested it means we offer up players for trade is not the sort of bullying mods should be a part of
If people make dumb posts, replying to point out it's a dumb post isn't bullying. This is a discussion forum that supports replies after all. If people want to make dumb posts without people replying to point out it's a dumb post, they can start a blog and disable comments.

I think Starcevich was fine in saying what he said when he said it, I think he looks a bit silly now that everyone signed on, and I don't think those positions are mutually exclusive, nor do I think that him looking silly matters to the club (most are back - win!) or the AFLW competition.

If people make dumb posts, replying to point out it's a dumb post isn't bullying. This is a discussion forum that supports replies after all. If people want to make dumb posts without people replying to point out it's a dumb post, they can start a blog and disable comments.

I got a warning last week for saying someone's post was pointless but I could've got away with calling it dumb instead?

It wasn't just though. Not many big moves seem to have been money driven. Most have a connection with the other club. Really seems to be no evidence the new clubs had a lot of power to poach star players

I got a warning last week for saying someone's post was pointless but I could've got away with calling it dumb instead?
You got a warning for saying everything someone posted was pointless. That moved it from the post to the poster.

To anyone outside the clubs and their supporters who might take an interest the women's game is a novelty and no one has much idea who plays for who.

I understand if you're internally involved and it's your bread and butter that certain issues can make you really cranky but in the broad scheme of things it's way down the totem pole of importance to the majority who follow AFL.

As a reminder this is what he said during a post game press conference

"I sort of know we're going to be under the pump for Sign and Trade pretty quickly, and we definitely know there's four clubs hovering around," Starcevich said.

"No, I'm not going to say anything, because I'm going to get very cranky about that."

Despite that, Starcevich then followed up his own statement.

"We've been in the comp six years, and we went through, a couple of years ago, the big four-team expansion, and that was like, Jesus, we're down to 17 players. In hindsight, it did us a massive favour because we brought in O'Dwyer, Bodey, Davidson, Dawes, Hickie, you name it," Starcevich said.

"We had a good off-season there to bring them in, took us a year or two to get cranking, but we're ok now. If it's going to happen again now, that's fine to say the competition needs to expand and we need players going here and there, but it never helps us. It never helps us.

"Because we're the ones who put all the time and effort in developing players, developing relationships and then what do you do? Just go and pull the rug out from – it drives me frickin' mad.

"I don't know if there's another way of doing it, but it drives me mad, because we run the team. We coach the team. We develop the players.

"I don't know what the answer is, but it absolutely drives me mad that big offers come in from clubs that aren't even in the comp, and they end up – the tail ends up wagging the dog.

"They make all the demands about how to get players. I've said too much. It's very disruptive. We're not the only club, whatever was reported yesterday about the Bulldogs, for example, jeez, come on."
You realise Starcevich was talking for all the established teams, and not just the Lions here.

He received pretty much universal support from the other established clubs, coaches and administrators for those comments.

He just said what everyone else was thinking, what had been said on the AFLW page for the last two seasons by fans.

He wasn’t silly. He was just the bravest person in the game to say publicly, what has been said privately by a majority of the competition.

That we didn’t lose players, particularly Bates and O’Dwyer who turned down significant offers, speaks volumes about the culture Starcevich has built here.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back