Draft Review 2018 - The 2018 Superdraft

Remove this Banner Ad

Lukocious and Rankine in there somewhere
Jeez cant believe I missed them lol, yep definitely! Probably both somewhere in between the two groups. Lukosious is a hard read, feel like hes maybe been given too much comfort with his spot in the team due to his kicking. Same thing has happened to SPS where he got away with simply being a silky player and ended up being dropped to work on the physical aspect of the game and second efforts. Could be beneficial, but hes just too good to drop at the moment.

In no particular order I'd think the top 20 would be looking pretty solid. Some may not end up superstars but guys like Idun and Scholl are really all you could ask for early stage role players and already play important roles in their teams.

Walsh
M King
B King
Thomas
Smith
Butters
Duursma

--------

Blakey
Quaynor
Rowbottom
Rozee
Stocker
Hind
Jordon
Scholl
Idun
Koschitzke
Ross
Hill
Clark

Sure I've missed some in there but outside the top 7 I feel like all those guys have potential to be top of the line role players if they dont make it to the superstar levels some of the others look to be on track towards. Guys like Jordon, Blakey and Rowbottom could end up a Jack Viney/Mitch Duncan/Ed Curnow level where they are absolutely great players, just not in the ranks of a Bontempelli or Petracca, Oliver etc.

Looks a fantastic draft so far even if some of the lower down players dont end up progressing as much as they are expected to

Not sure how Hind can be included as he's got 6 years on the bulk of the crop.

Not sure how Hind can be included as he's got 6 years on the bulk of the crop.
I woulda had him in the same boat as Tim Kelly from a few years back, still technically part of the draft. Wouldnt have thought he was as old as he is but either way hes been a good pick up for Essendon after his stint at the Saints

My top 10 from this draft as of 2021:

1. Walsh
2. Max
3. Ben
4. Bailey Smith
5. Butters
6. Lukosius
7. Thomas
8. Rozee (although watching him this year was very difficult)
9. Rowbottom (I reckon he's going to be a jet this bloke)
10. Quaynor

Of course the jury is still out on a lot of these players. Be good to see more of Caldwell, Duursma, Stocker, Sturt. Rankine seems like a bit of a bust at this point in time when you look at some of the players that went after him. Chayce Jones I'm not sold on yet.

With Jordan Clark's and Darcy Fort's trades, and Ben Jarvis' and Oscar Brownless' delistings this year, complete with Jake Tarca and Jacob Kennerley being cut last year, None of Geelong's 2018 men's picks are on Geelong's list now.

Walsh is a superstar, Smith and Butters a great midfield two and three. The "which King is better" debate will be going on for years, but both are great (I'm team Ben). Luko the quiet achiever. Wonder whether Rankine can find the magic again?

Adelaide picked Chayce Jones and Ned McHenry when Zak Butters and Xavier Duursma were available.

Dogs - Smith picked himself. Not sure we'd have taken West if he wasn't FS but I reckon when Libba's knees finally go West will be in our starting midfield. Vandermeer has huge talent, just needs to find the consistency. Cavarra and Hayes recently delisted, both seem like strong VFL players who couldn''t step it up to AFL level.

Marc McGowen's re-do:

1. Sam Walsh (1)
2. Bailey Smith (7)
3. Ben King (6)
4. Max King (4)
5. Connor Rozee (5)
6. Callum Wilkie (rookie)
7. Zak Butters (12)
8. Tarryn Thomas (8)
9. Jack Lukosius (2)
10. James Rowbottom (25)

This re-ranking has the closest correlation with the original in the past decade. Walsh is already a bonafide star and there’s plenty else to like in this class. Smith’s off-field fame is surging but he’s also producing on-field, while the King brothers are standing up as their teams’ top marking options in attack. The odd one out here is Wilkie, who’s gone from a mature-age rookie to finishing in the top seven of St Kilda’s best-and-fairest count in each of his seasons at the club. Thomas enjoyed a breakout campaign this year in graduating to the midfield. Rowbottom barely pipped Isaac Quaynor and fellow Swans Nick Blakey and Justin McInerney to sneak into the top 10.

Marc McGowen's re-do:

1. Sam Walsh (1)
2. Bailey Smith (7)
3. Ben King (6)
4. Max King (4)
5. Connor Rozee (5)
7. Zak Butters (12)
8. Tarryn Thomas (8)
9. Jack Lukosius (2)
10. James Rowbottom (25)

This re-ranking has the closest correlation with the original in the past decade. Walsh is already a bonafide star and there’s plenty else to like in this class. Smith’s off-field fame is surging but he’s also producing on-field, while the King brothers are standing up as their teams’ top marking options in attack. The odd one out here is Wilkie, who’s gone from a mature-age rookie to finishing in the top seven of St Kilda’s best-and-fairest count in each of his seasons at the club. Thomas enjoyed a breakout campaign this year in graduating to the midfield. Rowbottom barely pipped Isaac Quaynor and fellow Swans Nick Blakey and Justin McInerney to sneak into the top 10.
I'm a fan of Wilkie, but not sure how he justifies having him ahead of Butters, and not sure I'd have him ahead of Thomas either.

It appears to be 100% based performance with no potential baked in.
Butters has an AA40. If injuries didn't affect his 2021, I'd imagine he'd be close to the top on performance. It's why you need to consider potential in these things because an otherwise talented player was forced to miss games. Same reason you can arguably have Max ahead of Ben even though Ben's career to date is clearly better

Marc McGowen's re-do:

1. Sam Walsh (1)
2. Bailey Smith (7)
3. Ben King (6)
4. Max King (4)
5. Connor Rozee (5)
7. Zak Butters (12)
8. Tarryn Thomas (8)
9. Jack Lukosius (2)
10. James Rowbottom (25)

Thought you’d done the list and didn’t realise it was by a ‘journo’. Thought it was some massive overcompensation for bias but just turns out to be journo s**t stirring shenanigans. If it was re-done and my recruiting team picked Wilkie ahead of Butters and Thomas (who I think could be absolutely anything) I would be sending some angry letters calling for resignations…

Thought you’d done the list and didn’t realise it was by a ‘journo’. Thought it was some massive overcompensation for bias but just turns out to be journo sh*t stirring shenanigans. If it was re-done and my recruiting team picked Wilkie ahead of Butters and Thomas (who I think could be absolutely anything) I would be sending some angry letters calling for resignations…
If a Roo supporter did a re-do and had Wilkie in front of Thomas I would be contacting the club to have their membership revoked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought you’d done the list and didn’t realise it was by a ‘journo’. Thought it was some massive overcompensation for bias but just turns out to be journo sh*t stirring shenanigans. If it was re-done and my recruiting team picked Wilkie ahead of Butters and Thomas (who I think could be absolutely anything) I would be sending some angry letters calling for resignations…
you could probably justify it on performance so far (at least over Thomas, Butters more of a 50/50). if that’s his list including potential then that’s lol worthy

I will add this "News Corp Australia sports journalist Marc McGowan has re-ranked the top 10 based on output – not potential."

Butters has an AA40. If injuries didn't affect his 2021, I'd imagine he'd be close to the top on performance. It's why you need to consider potential in these things because an otherwise talented player was forced to miss games. Same reason you can arguably have Max ahead of Ben even though Ben's career to date is clearly better
Butters was top 5 in the comp for impact on games before going down with injury this year. Will surprise a few if he gets a free run at it next year. He's second behind Walsh for me.

Butters was top 5 in the comp for impact on games before going down with injury this year. Will surprise a few if he gets a free run at it next year. He's second behind Walsh for me.
I think anyone who watches the game more than casually is pretty aware that Butters is really good

Good player but come on big fella
How is impact on games measured?
Top 5 at Port would be a stretch. When he went down he had polled coaches votes in 1 game and Wines and Boak were in the top 10.

He is a gun - but old mate has got carried away.
I'm referencing ranking that was shown during telecast of Port vs Richmond game by Channel 7. Don't know what metrics were used in compiling the data, but given butters is a ball magnet, and extremely damaging with ball in hand it didn't seem too far fetched to me. Coaches votes paint a different picture as you've mentioned.

I'm referencing ranking that was shown during telecast of Port vs Richmond game by Channel 7. Don't know what metrics were used in compiling the data, but given butters is a ball magnet, and extremely damaging with ball in hand it didn't seem too far fetched to me. Coaches votes paint a different picture as you've mentioned.

No doubt he is very talented and most know he can play but if your impacting games - like Wines, Dusty, Petracca or Bont - who I have in the top 5 - you're getting coaches votes.

He also needs to average more than 18 disposals to also be called a ball magnet. It’s like calling me a chick magnet but I’ve been faithfully married for 20 years.

He does have a very high disposal efficiency and is very clean when he get it – that might be what your referencing.

#1 Max King

Remove this Banner Ad

Back