Draft Review 2018 - The 2018 Superdraft

Remove this Banner Ad

If it was a choice between being only able to keep one of Rankine or Lukosius, Gold Coast made the right call imo.
dont think you could go wrong, both super talented, bring different things.

Bet they wish they had both.

dont think you could go wrong, both super talented, bring different things.

Bet they wish they had both.

The Suns drafted Bailey Humphrey with the pick they got from Adelaide for Rankine whom I think will be a better player going forwards (least from a consistency point of view) than Rankine.

The Suns drafted Bailey Humphrey with the pick they got from Adelaide for Rankine whom I think will be a better player going forwards (least from a consistency point of view) than Rankine.
I like Humphrey a lot.

Rankine is a gun, I think he is very under appreciatd, perhaps because the wraps were so big before he was drafted.

Zak Butters has risen to the top of the list on current form
Still trying to work out how Butters didn't get to Crows or GWS

Someone on the Dogs board has recently done his absolute nut complaining that it is a disgrace that we drafted Smith instead of Butters, the recruiters should have known what they'd be like in five years, it is an unforgivable failing that we didn't draft Butters and everyone responsible should be sacked.

Someone on the Dogs board has recently done his absolute nut complaining that it is a disgrace that we drafted Smith instead of Butters, the recruiters should have known what they'd be like in five years, it is an unforgivable failing that we didn't draft Butters and everyone responsible should be sacked.
Smith was and is a still a solid pick

At the time if the Dogs took Butters the fans would have been blowing up. Everyone is a genius in hindsight.
Smith was picked right where everyone thought hed go and where he deserved to be picked.

At the time if the Dogs took Butters the fans would have been blowing up. Everyone is a genius in hindsight.
Smith was picked right where everyone thought hed go and where he deserved to be picked.
There were people wanting Smith to go pick 1, even though most were on the Lukosius, Walsh or Rankine train. (Max Kings injury meant he wasn't a realistic pick 1 option)

Butters went where he was rated to go, but Port Adel put a lot of faith into him and I think if he didn't go to Port and have that faith put into him, he might not have been as good as he is now, credit has to go to Port, first for picking him and then for building him up and getting the best out of him, Hinckley and co really believed in him from day 1.

Last edited:
There were people wanting Smith to go pick 1, even though most were on the Lukosius, Walsh or Rankine train. (Max Kings injury meant he wasn't a realistic pick 1 option)

Butters went where he was rated to go, but Port Adel put a lot of faith into him and I think if he didn't go to Port and have that faith put into him, he might not have been as good as he is now, credit has to go to Port, first for picking him and then for building him up and getting the best out of him, Hinckley and co really believed in him from day 1.
agree with all of that.
Apparently we were keen on Butters for our pick just before Port, we took Hately, and then gave him away for literally nothing!
At the time Hately was a solid choice though, cant get them all right

agree with all of that.
Apparently we were keen on Butters for our pick just before Port, we took Hately, and then gave him away for literally nothing!
At the time Hately was a solid choice though, cant get them all right

Butters was 2 picks before Hately. Caldwell was taken the pick before

Butters was 2 picks before Hately. Caldwell was taken the pick before
you are correct. I've obviously mixed it up and my memory is playing tricks, I know it was Hately, not Caldwell that the difference was, I wonder if it was we were planning on taking Butters but he went the pick before ours (we bid on Quaynor) or Ive got Butters and Dursma confused.
Either way, obviously I wish we had Butters! (pretty sure every club would happily have him on the list)

you are correct. I've obviously mixed it up and my memory is playing tricks, I know it was Hately, not Caldwell that the difference was, I wonder if it was we were planning on taking Butters but he went the pick before ours (we bid on Quaynor) or Ive got Butters and Dursma confused.
Either way, obviously I wish we had Butters! (pretty sure every club would happily have him on the list)

Yeah he was a steal at 12 regardless probably the best of the draft now with Walsh injury concerns

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rozee and Butters with AA nods.

Callum Wilkie likewise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Sam Walsh
2. Zak Butters
3. Connor Rozee
4. Max King
5. Izak Rankine
6. Callum Wilkie
7. Ben King
8. Isaac Quaynor
9. Bailey Smith
10. Jack Lukosius
11. Nick Blakey
12. Connor Idun
13. Bobby Hill
14. Tarryn Thomas
15. James Rowbottom
16. Jordan Clark
17. Lachie Schultz
18. Justin McInerney
19. Bailey Scott
20. Tom Atkins

1. Sam Walsh
2. Zak Butters
3. Connor Rozee
4. Max King
5. Izak Rankine
6. Callum Wilkie
7. Ben King
8. Isaac Quaynor
9. Bailey Smith
10. Jack Lukosius
11. Nick Blakey
12. Connor Idun
13. Bobby Hill
14. Tarryn Thomas
15. James Rowbottom
16. Jordan Clark
17. Lachie Schultz
18. Justin McInerney
19. Bailey Scott
20. Tom Atkins
Perhaps recency bias but I'd struggle to have Max King in my top 5. He'll probably come good but he's miles behind Wilkie on actual performance. Ben the better player too imo but has had to deal with his recent ACL.

1. Sam Walsh
2. Zak Butters
3. Connor Rozee
4. Max King
5. Izak Rankine
6. Callum Wilkie
7. Ben King
8. Isaac Quaynor
9. Bailey Smith
10. Jack Lukosius
11. Nick Blakey
12. Connor Idun
13. Bobby Hill
14. Tarryn Thomas
15. James Rowbottom
16. Jordan Clark
17. Lachie Schultz
18. Justin McInerney
19. Bailey Scott
20. Tom Atkins
pretty hot field.
Id have it slightly different, (personal opinions are always subjective)
The one missing here that I'd definitely have in the top 20 is Jye Caldwell, think he is a good footballer.

Lukosius and Blakey feel too low, but when you look above, everyone above has strong credentials and you can't argue too much.

From a Giants point of view very happy with Connor Idun in the 50's, terrific selection. He is looking like a very, very good player. Controversial, but I think he is every bit the as good a player as Quaynor.

pretty hot field.
The one missing here that I'd definitely have in the top 20 is Jye Caldwell, think he is a good footballer.

Lukosius and Blakey feel too low, but when you look above, everyone above has strong credentials and you can't argue too much.

From a Giants point of view very happy with Connor Idun in the 50's, terrific selection. He is looking like a very, very good player. Controversial, but I think he is every bit the as good a player as Quaynor.
Idun is better than quaynor by a margin

pretty hot field.

Caldwell was the bloke I last dropped out for Atkins. Luko still building consistency for me, Blakey could have as high as 7th, but that 7-12 group could be ranked any way.

Idun is better than quaynor by a margin
Sure, mate

1. Sam Walsh
2. Zak Butters
3. Connor Rozee
4. Max King
5. Izak Rankine
6. Callum Wilkie
7. Ben King
8. Isaac Quaynor
9. Bailey Smith
10. Jack Lukosius
11. Nick Blakey
12. Connor Idun
13. Bobby Hill
14. Tarryn Thomas
15. James Rowbottom
16. Jordan Clark
17. Lachie Schultz
18. Justin McInerney
19. Bailey Scott
20. Tom Atkins

I would find a spot for Kieren Briggs. He should fit inside this top 20 quite easily. Jordan Butts if you value good KPD.

FB: Quaynor, Butts, Wilkie
HB: Clark, Idun, Blakey
C: Scott, Butters, Smith
HF: Lukosius, King, Schulz
FF: Hill, King, Rankine
R: Briggs, Walsh, Rozee
IC: Thomas, Rowbottom, Atkins, Hind

Up until this year, this draft class only lacked a standout ruck. Briggs has stepped up to the plate. This would be a strong side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back