Remove this Banner Ad

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
It’s looking more and more like 2018 was a Superdraft and could rival the Hodge, Ball, Judd draft for quality of top end talent.

Walsh & Rozee look set to be stars and will spend their careers being compared like Judd & Hodge
Bailey Smith is already a very good footballer
The King brothers look like becoming stars
Blakey has shown he will be a 200 game player.

The only players from th e top end still with question marks weee the players talked up SO much as generational talent in Lukosious and Rankine, but I will tip them to come good.. perhaps not to the level of spruik but should end up handy footballers..

It’s looking more and more like 2018 was a Superdraft and could rival the Hodge, Ball, Judd draft for quality of top end talent.

Walsh & Rozee look set to be stars and will spend their careers being compared like Judd & Hodge

The only players from th e top end still with question marks weee the players talked up SO much as generational talent in Lukosious and Rankine, but I will tip them to come good.. perhaps not to the level of spruik but should end up handy footballers..
We haven’t even seen Rankine yet.

Lukosius has been very good so far, particularly for a young tall. Rankine may be the only potential "dud" from the top end, and that's only because injuries keep preventing him from getting a run at it. If he can get past that, I have no doubt he'll be a star.

Bailey Smith is outperforming Walsh recently. This season, Smith has taken his game to the next level and is starring in an otherwise underperforming midfield, while Walsh seems to have dropped off. His one good game this year was the first preseason match against Freo. Meanwhile, Smith's quietest games came in preseason, and he still managed 10 tackles each game while averaging 17 disposals in those games.

Small sample size obviously, but I wouldn't consider Walsh in a separate tier from Smith - going forward they will be like comparing Dangerfield and Cotchin from the 2007 draft

Last edited:

Lukosius has been very good so far, particularly for a young tall. Rankine may be the only potential "dud" from the top end, and that's only because injuries keep preventing him from getting a run at it. If he can get past that, I have no doubt he'll be a star.

Bailey Smith is outperforming Walsh recently. This season, Smith has taken his game to the next level and is starring in an otherwise underperforming midfield, while Walsh seems to have dropped off. His one good game this year was the first preseason match against Freo. Meanwhile, Smith's quietest games came in preseason, and he still managed 10 tackles while averaging 17 disposals in those games.

Small sample size obviously, but I wouldn't consider Walsh in a separate tier from Smith - going forward they will be like comparing Dangerfield and Cotchin from the 2007 draft
Rozee is better than both Smith and Walsh (not taking anything away from them) if he was playing for a Victorian club he would be getting a lot more praise than he already is, the kid is an absolute jet.

Last edited:
Rozee is better than both Smith and Walsh (not taking anything away from them) if he was playing for a Victoria club he would be getting a lot more praise than he already is, the kid is an absolute jet.
I wouldn't disagree at all, I was only comparing Walsh and Smith given they play in the same position. I think if I had to rank the players currently, it would be:
  1. Rozee
  2. Smith
  3. Walsh
  4. B. King
  5. Blakey
  6. Lukosius
  7. M. King
As Max King gets more games, I'm sure he'll climb the rankings and probably overtake Ben.

Rozee's ceiling looks like a Robbie Gray or Toby Greene imo

I wouldn't disagree at all, I was only comparing Walsh and Smith given they play in the same position. I think if I had to rank the players currently, it would be:
  1. Rozee
  2. Smith
  3. Walsh
  4. B. King
  5. Blakey
  6. Lukosius
  7. M. King
As Max King gets more games, I'm sure he'll climb the rankings and probably overtake Ben.

Rozee's ceiling looks like a Robbie Gray or Toby Greene imo
In 5 years time (injuries permitting) all the talls will be most likely be rated higher than the mids once they fill out. The only team that looks to have missed the boat in the super draft is Adelaide taking chayce Jones, I thought it was a bad choice back then and he hasn’t shown anything as yet that makes you think he’ll turn into a star.

In 5 years time (injuries permitting) all the talls will be most likely be rated higher than the mids once they fill out. The only team that looks to have missed the boat in the super draft is Adelaide taking chayce Jones, I thought it was a bad choice back then and he hasn’t shown anything as yet that makes you think he’ll turn into a star.
Tarryn Thomas (8), Jye Caldwell (11) and Zak Butters (12) have all looked very good at times this year too. All the picks up to 18, with the exception of the two Adelaide boys, look like seriously good players, and even then we could still see Jones and McHenry produce some good footy. Not a single dud has emerged yet in the first 18 picks, which has probably never happened

Rozzee looks a jet, and impacts the scoreboard which is exceptional for a player so young.. Walsh body of work in 2019 still IMO has him ranked higher, and no doubt with a small amount of bias.. and have him a fair way in front of Smith, who has been great this year but doesn’t have to deal with the opposition attention like Walsh does because of the depth of the other dogs mids.. For us it’s Cripps & Walsh of bust. Perhaps that attention will come now.

i wrote this in 2018 prior to the draft

"im going to predict Rozee and Clark will have better AFL careers than the long term elite 8 (King Twins, Lukosius, Rankine, Smith, Thomas, Blakey and Walsh) tag this post in 5 years to see if im right? "

it would be funny if it came true, but those other guys i really like as well...

Lukosius looked relaxed and calm over the weekend and seems to be finally getting up to pace for AFL.

Some of his distribution was elite coming out of HB.

King took some big marks, however his goal kicking was a little wayward.

Rankine should play in the scratchie against Adelaide this weekend, hopefully see him soon as well.

Rozzee looks a jet, and impacts the scoreboard which is exceptional for a player so young.. Walsh body of work in 2019 still IMO has him ranked higher, and no doubt with a small amount of bias.. and have him a fair way in front of Smith, who has been great this year but doesn’t have to deal with the opposition attention like Walsh does because of the depth of the other dogs mids.. For us it’s Cripps & Walsh of bust. Perhaps that attention will come now.
If Carlton had their time again they’d be silly not to take rozee though.

If Carlton had their time again they’d be silly not to take rozee though.

I disagree, we are crying out for elite midfielders... even very good ones.. if We drafted Rozzee we Would have rushed him through the midfield and probably ruined him.. Port have the benefit of a mature big bodied midfield with Wines, Gray, Blake Powell-Pepp, Rockcliffe all shielding him.. Walshhas Cripps then a bunch of potatoe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon there are a few jets a bit further down too. Could end up being a seriously impressive crop. Maybe not quite the top end of 2001 though.
For sure. From the non-Dogs players, Sturt at 17, Hill at 24, Cameron at 39, Taylor at 46, Scott at 49 and Schultz at 57 are some of the better ones in my eyes

Tarryn Thomas (8), Jye Caldwell (11) and Zak Butters (12) have all looked very good at times this year too. All the picks up to 18, with the exception of the two Adelaide boys, look like seriously good players, and even then we could still see Jones and McHenry produce some good footy. Not a single dud has emerged yet in the first 18 picks, which has probably never happened
Going to put on my Freo hat and forward Sturt as well - was brilliant first game - made Hurley look 2nd rate in the last quarter.

Draft definitely meeting expectations. Rozee for me is the one that becomes that top 5 in the comp player. Him and Rowell to become the next generation of the Fyfe/Martin/Cripps/Dangerfield generational players.

edit: beat me to the punch re Sturt =)

Going to put on my Freo hat and forward Sturt as well - was brilliant first game - made Hurley look 2nd rate in the last quarter.

Draft definitely meeting expectations. Rozee for me is the one that becomes that top 5 in the comp player. Him and Rowell to become the next generation of the Fyfe/Martin/Cripps/Dangerfield generational players.

edit: beat me to the punch re Sturt =)
Yeah commented around the same time, but I think Sturt will be a very solid player. I liked him draft year, and was keen on Dogs splitting our pick for some combination of Clark, Butters and Sturt (assuming they would be around the later teens). Happy we stuck with our pick and grabbed Smith obviously, but Sturt has huge potential. Not sure how he got dropped after kicking those 3 goals R1

Yeah commented around the same time, but I think Sturt will be a very solid player. I liked him draft year, and was keen on Dogs splitting our pick for some combination of Clark, Butters and Sturt (assuming they would be around the later teens). Happy we stuck with our pick and grabbed Smith obviously, but Sturt has huge potential. Not sure how he got dropped after kicking those 3 goals R1
When in doubt with a Freo player, always assume it was an injury =)

Hurt his back, hopefully back this week

Didn’t get dropped was out injured. Sturt looked really impressive.

Very impressive draft.

Would have to be baz or rozee fighting out for the top spot if it was redrafted again at this stage.

Liked what I saw from Max King on the weekend as well he will be a star.

GC duo developing nicely as well (B King and Lukosious) as we Tarryn Thomas from the roos looks to be a gun in the making but will take some more time to fully develop his craft

Walsh will be a gun, but Rozee is something special. Makes the football talk and doesn’t make mistakes.

Absolutely. He's a special talent, but that's a separate discussion.

If the draft was redone today, we'd still take Walsh. He has been fantastic and is a perfect fit.

Absolutely. He's a special talent, but that's a separate discussion.

If the draft was redone today, we'd still take Walsh. He has been fantastic and is a perfect fit.

I doubt it - these statements are always said with a degree of certainty, but Walsh isn’t capable of what Rozee is and now the question of whether Rozee’s junior form could translate to AFL has been resoundingly confirmed. I doubt Walsh gets near him if they stay on their current trajectories, which of course can always be impacted by injury etc.

It’s like Essendon supporters who still advocate the club taking McGrath over Taranto or McCluggage. It’s become apparent two of these players (so far) have been in a completely different league.

I dunno why there’s generally so much angst. We knew Walsh was going to jump out of the blocks early with his huge endurance base and our paper-thin midfield allowing him far more exposure than most players are given in their first years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back