Draft Review 2018 - The 2018 Superdraft

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy, Macrae, Wines are better imo.

On par with Stringer, Danniher and Vlaustin imo.
WOW!
I can't go with any of that.

I'd go with Macrae and Grundy on par. (But not better imo)

Stringer, Vlaustin and Danniher on par is almost hurtful to Lachie.

each to their own.

WOW!
I can't go with any of that.

I'd go with Macrae and Grundy on par. (But not better imo)

Stringer, Vlaustin and Danniher on par is almost hurtful to Lachie.

each to their own.

Whitfield has 1 x AA.

As does Stringer and Danniher.

With the former likely to get another 1 this season.

Both Macrae and Grundy have 2 each. With Macrae likely to get another one this year.

Wines is one of the favourites for this years Brownlow and Vlaustin is a 3 x premiership player.

I don't think it's hurtful comparing him to anyone on this list.

Whitfield has 1 x AA.

As does Stringer and Danniher.

With the former likely to get another 1 this season.

Both Macrae and Grundy have 2 each. With Macrae likely to get another one this year.

Wines is one of the favourites for this years Brownlow and Vlaustin is a 3 x premiership player.

I don't think it's hurtful comparing him to anyone on this list.
Stringer and Danniher have been super inconsistent and downright poor at various stages. Stringer is having a stand out year and had a similar year once for the Bulldogs, around that, he has been ok to poor with the odd moment.. Danniher had 1 great year, and not much else.
Vlaustin is a very good role player, but a role player none the less.
Whitfield may only have the 1 AA, but he has been very good to elite virtually every year. A few times he would have been in the AA argument if not for missing half a dozen games in the year (2019 the most obvious example of that)

If that draft crop were thrown back into a pool and I had pick 1 right now I’d give Whitfield massive consideration.

Throw a blanket over him, Grundy and Macrae. Stringer close behind.

Are you happy with Saints drafting of this 2018 draft?

I have mixed views on freos drafting in this 2018 season.

Sam Sturt is talented but might end up like anthony Morabito with the knee injuries.
Valente has been on the list for 3 seasons and hasnt got a game yet. Should of got a game in 2020 or this season.
Bewley is a fringe player.
Sam Schulz isnt too bad as a small forward: 17 goals and 12 behinds in 15 games

on the rookie list.....

Ethan hughes is still there. on 74 games.
Tobe watson is a mature aged 190cm utility player. 11 games so far in his career.

Wished freo chose Matt Parker in this 2018 draft. Hell we should of got him in the midseason draft this year.

Are you happy with Saints drafting of this 2018 draft?

I have mixed views on freos drafting in this 2018 season.

Sam Sturt is talented but might end up like anthony Morabito with the knee injuries.
Valente has been on the list for 3 seasons and hasnt got a game yet. Should of got a game in 2020 or this season.
Bewley is a fringe player.
Sam Schulz isnt too bad as a small forward: 17 goals and 12 behinds in 15 games

on the rookie list.....

Ethan hughes is still there. on 74 games.
Tobe watson is a mature aged 190cm utility player. 11 games so far in his career.

Wished freo chose Matt Parker in this 2018 draft. Hell we should of got him in the midseason draft this year.
Very happy.

King and Bytel were the two I wanted the most at those two picks and I’m very happy we have them at the club and then we got Parker with our next pick and Hind the one after.

I was a big fan of what Parker did in his first year with us, but for whatever reason he dropped right off last year (apparently didn’t handle hub life all that well, or fit in too well with the group) and I was really disappointed we delisted him just 12 months after an extremely promising first season.

I was also a big fan of what Hind showed in his time with us, but it’s just unfortunate that we had an incredible number of HBF options, and as such only tried him up forward in the seniors. A real shame we didn’t get what Essendon are getting out of him, as I love the way he plays. That said, we now have Hill playing the exact same sort of rebounding role off HB and Sinclair has had a terrific year off HB, and he probably wouldn’t have gotten that opportunity had Hind being going well there.

Young was a dud pick with our last pick.

Very happy.

King and Bytel were the two I wanted the most at those two picks and I’m very happy we have them at the club and then we got Parker with our next pick and Hind the one after.

I was a big fan of what Parker did in his first year with us, but for whatever reason he dropped right off last year (apparently didn’t handle hub life all that well, or fit in too well with the group) and I was really disappointed we delisted him just 12 months after an extremely promising first season.

I was also a big fan of what Hind showed in his time with us, but it’s just unfortunate that we had an incredible number of HBF options, and as such only tried him up forward in the seniors. A real shame we didn’t get what Essendon are getting out of him, as I love the way he plays. That said, we now have Hill playing the exact same sort of rebounding role off HB and Sinclair has had a terrific year off HB, and he probably wouldn’t have gotten that opportunity had Hind being going well there.

Young was a dud pick with our last pick.

And then, there's Wilkie.

Best of the lot I reckon.

Goddard has a claim at 1 as well.
I'd have him second to Jobe. So if you don't count Jobe because he was a F/S then Goddard would be numero uno.

Cooney in 03 had the best peak but didn't have the longetivity that the Mundy's and Shaw's of the world had so can't realistically put him #1.

Hodge might've had the best package of the 01 draft, even if other players were better in raw ability.

I'd have him second to Jobe. So if you don't count Jobe because he was a F/S then Goddard would be numero uno.
Both dual-All Australian, but if we went back to 2003 and both were available for pick 1 I’d very happily take Goddard’s subsequent 334 game career over Jobe’s 220 game one.

Brendon was especially important for us in 2009/2010 and would have been a huge part of the reason we won a flag either year, had we managed to do so.

He was doing it all. Winning his own ball, winning clearances, kicking goals, taking speccies, going 3rd-up and winning hitouts, taking contested marks forward and back (38 in 2010), drilling 55m darts to teammates, and was our best player across the 3 GF’s and super-stiff to not win the Norm Smith in the draw.

Last edited:

Cooney in 03 had the best peak but didn't have the longetivity that the Mundy's and Shaw's of the world had so can't realistically put him #1.

Hodge might've had the best package of the 01 draft, even if other players were better in raw ability.
I thought Goddard was better. Jobe had an amazing 2012 but that has a question mark on it. Goddard was consistently good for a long time.

Ablett would be the best of an awesome group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Goddard was better. Jobe had an amazing 2012 but that has a question mark on it. Goddard was consistently good for a long time.

Thought Jobe’s 2011 was better but marred by injury. Was also a jet in 2013.

Goddards career was clearly better as Jobe’s kicking held him back for much of his career although his improvement in that area was insane.

This isn't looking like a 'superdraft' anymore. Whilst there are six genuine guns in the top eight, the draft is weaker than most after that.

Also, Luko and Rankine getting taken before the King twins looks insane in retrospect.

This isn't looking like a 'superdraft' anymore. Whilst there are six genuine guns in the top eight, the draft is weaker than most after that.

Also, Luko and Rankine getting taken before the King twins looks insane in retrospect.
Really? Blakey, Butters, Quaynor, Clark, Duursma, Stocker all taken between 8-20 and all should at least be good AFL players.

After 20 there's still heaps of talent. O'Halloran, Hill, Rowbottom, Sparrow, Jordon, Vandermeer, Taylor, Koschitzke, Hind, Schultz, Idun, Atu, Wilkie, Strachan, Aarts, Sweet, Butts should all, at least, have decent AFL careers, with a few being even better than that.

I don't know how deep it is compared to others, but the depth it does have combined with the 10 or so players taken in the top 20 who could be All-Australian caliber or better make it pretty damn good.

Really? Blakey, Butters, Quaynor, Clark, Duursma, Stocker all taken between 8-20 and all should at least be good AFL players.

After 20 there's still heaps of talent. O'Halloran, Hill, Rowbottom, Sparrow, Jordon, Vandermeer, Taylor, Koschitzke, Hind, Schultz, Idun, Atu, Wilkie, Strachan, Aarts, Sweet, Butts should all, at least, have decent AFL careers, with a few being even better than that.

I don't know how deep it is compared to others, but the depth it does have combined with the 10 or so players taken in the top 20 who could be All-Australian caliber or better make it pretty damn good.
Luko still looks amazing. He isn't quite playing on the level of the Kings, but he's not too far behind. Rankine seems to be struggling, when many thought he'd have instant impact.

Vandermeer and Sparrow are both playing in a grand final in 2 weeks time. I think it's still too early to make a call on this one just yet. Admittedly, I did expect a number of players to have far greater impact early than what they've shown so far (for example, Hill, Caldwell, Sturt) but we're only 3 years in. I think until 2023, we won't really know for sure how strong this draft actually is.

I recall 2014 was for years viewed as a particularly weak draft, but that view has changed in the last year or two. I think it's just a matter of 2018 getting hyped up so much as a super draft, that our expectations were probably set too high to begin with - ultimately you need to give a player a good 5-6 years to really show what they can be

I think the depth in drafts doesn’t really get settled until much further in. At the very least this draft should have an incredible top tier of Walsh, King x2 and Smith. Butters, Rozee, Duursma, Luko will likely play 250+ games and I’m sure I’m forgetting one or two already in that bracket. Still a super draft for top tier talent, depth TBD

I think the depth in drafts doesn’t really get settled until much further in. At the very least this draft should have an incredible top tier of Walsh, King x2 and Smith. Butters, Rozee, Duursma, Luko will likely play 250+ games and I’m sure I’m forgetting one or two already in that bracket. Still a super draft for top tier talent, depth TBD
Thomas

Luko still looks amazing. He isn't quite playing on the level of the Kings, but he's not too far behind. Rankine seems to be struggling, when many thought he'd have instant impact.

Vandermeer and Sparrow are both playing in a grand final in 2 weeks time. I think it's still too early to make a call on this one just yet. Admittedly, I did expect a number of players to have far greater impact early than what they've shown so far (for example, Hill, Caldwell, Sturt) but we're only 3 years in. I think until 2023, we won't really know for sure how strong this draft actually is.

I recall 2014 was for years viewed as a particularly weak draft, but that view has changed in the last year or two. I think it's just a matter of 2018 getting hyped up so much as a super draft, that our expectations were probably set too high to begin with - ultimately you need to give a player a good 5-6 years to really show what they can be
Yeah, I'm probably going a bit early. There are definitely lots of good players in this draft, especially in the top eight, but it doesn't seem to have the depth of 2017.

Also, I still hope Rankin comes good as he could be anything, but I'm not sure what you are seeing in Luko. He was hailed as the next Nick Riewoldt prior to the draft, yet he can't play even play key position. He has a great kick, but he still a soft flanker. In a redraft, he wouldn't be top ten.

Yeah, I'm probably going a bit early. There are definitely lots of good players in this draft, especially in the top eight, but it doesn't seem to have the depth of 2017.

Also, I still hope Rankin comes good as he could be anything, but I'm not sure what you are seeing in Luko. He was hailed as the next Nick Riewoldt prior to the draft, yet he can't play even play key position. He has a great kick, but he still a soft flanker. In a redraft, he wouldn't be top ten.
I think he's probably a different type to what people expected. More of a Ridley type than a Riewoldt. In a redraft I'd be taking Walsh, Smith, the Kings ahead of him for sure, then possibly Thomas and Rozee too (with Luko then Rankine behind them). Perhaps not a top 5 talent so far, but I'd still have him top 10.

His disposal is just incredible. He has the kicking ability of Caleb Daniel, but I do agree he appears to lack aggression. Will likely end up a tall distributor, maybe in an intercepting role, and could be very good at it, but probably not the type of player you'd be paying Pick 2 for in hindsight.

I think he's probably a different type to what people expected. More of a Ridley type than a Riewoldt. In a redraft I'd be taking Walsh, Smith, the Kings ahead of him for sure, then possibly Thomas and Rozee too (with Luko then Rankine behind them). Perhaps not a top 5 talent so far, but I'd still have him top 10.

His disposal is just incredible. He has the kicking ability of Caleb Daniel, but I do agree he appears to lack aggression. Will likely end up a tall distributor, maybe in an intercepting role, and could be very good at it, but probably not the type of player you'd be paying Pick 2 for in hindsight.
I'd be going lower and throwing in Butters, Duursma, Blakey, Rowbottom and McInerney ahead of him too.
Luko is a hard one to rank though. If he was an average kick, he wouldn't get a game. But his kicking is amazing.

In no particular order I'd think the top 20 would be looking pretty solid. Some may not end up superstars but guys like Idun and Scholl are really all you could ask for early stage role players and already play important roles in their teams.

Walsh
M King
B King
Thomas
Smith
Butters
Duursma

--------

Blakey
Quaynor
Rowbottom
Rozee
Stocker
Hind
Jordon
Scholl
Idun
Koschitzke
Ross
Hill
Clark

Sure I've missed some in there but outside the top 7 I feel like all those guys have potential to be top of the line role players if they dont make it to the superstar levels some of the others look to be on track towards. Guys like Jordon, Blakey and Rowbottom could end up a Jack Viney/Mitch Duncan/Ed Curnow level where they are absolutely great players, just not in the ranks of a Bontempelli or Petracca, Oliver etc.

Looks a fantastic draft so far even if some of the lower down players dont end up progressing as much as they are expected to

In no particular order I'd think the top 20 would be looking pretty solid. Some may not end up superstars but guys like Idun and Scholl are really all you could ask for early stage role players and already play important roles in their teams.

Walsh
M King
B King
Thomas
Smith
Butters
Duursma

--------

Blakey
Quaynor
Rowbottom
Rozee
Stocker
Hind
Jordon
Scholl
Idun
Koschitzke
Ross
Hill
Clark

Sure I've missed some in there but outside the top 7 I feel like all those guys have potential to be top of the line role players if they dont make it to the superstar levels some of the others look to be on track towards. Guys like Jordon, Blakey and Rowbottom could end up a Jack Viney/Mitch Duncan/Ed Curnow level where they are absolutely great players, just not in the ranks of a Bontempelli or Petracca, Oliver etc.

Looks a fantastic draft so far even if some of the lower down players dont end up progressing as much as they are expected to
Lukocious and Rankine in there somewhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Back