Draft Watcher 2018 (SA) Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you seen much of Casey voss? Would you expect him to be any chance of being drafted? I believe Brisbane arnt interested in father son selecting him. I do love the romance of father sons.

I wrote this about him a couple of months back...

"A famous name and a father son option for Brisbane. Casey has been plugging away in the SANFL, having not been part of the U18 Academy in SA. Coming into 2018, he looked a fair way out of the picture. But he's improved a lot as the season has progressed, and looks a genuine rookie chance in his own right - not just because of his name. A tough inside midfielder, has also played off half back. Brisbane had him up for a visit a month or so ago, and he played a couple of games for them in the NEAFL.''

I suspect he gets overlooked, doesn't really have that element to his game that catches the eye. Could be one in another couple of years if he progresses through the SANFL ranks.

Chris25 I like Valente for Freo at 14(16/17) and I am struggling to think of a reason not to do it.

Is the knock on him speed? Seems to be a good clearance player and can find it on the outside. Good disposal by foot and hand. Decent in traffic.

What am I missing?

With Valente, I think it's just how teams will rate his scope for improvement. He's a good solid player, does everything well and will more than likely have a long career because of the type of person he is. He may just be more on the level of a Luke Dunstan or Alex Neal-Bullen, being in the bottom half of a team's best 22.

Wouldn't surprise to see teams looking elsewhere in the first round, thinking they can pick up more of a game changer.

With Valente, I think it's just how teams will rate his scope for improvement. He's a good solid player, does everything well and will more than likely have a long career because of the type of person he is. He may just be more on the level of a Luke Dunstan or Alex Neal-Bullen, being in the bottom half of a team's best 22.

Wouldn't surprise to see teams looking elsewhere in the first round, thinking they can pick up more of a game changer.
Ah, fair enough. Potenial low ceiling high floor type.

Also, is Sparrow's kicking as bad as it looks in the handful of highlights out there? I mean more technique wise, he looks so awkward but a lot else of what he does is impressive.

So you wouldn't have used pick 2 on this type of player? :(

You referring to Brayshaw I guess. Last year's draft pretty different to this one. Club's also pick differently when they have multiple picks, and I think that Fremantle got in front of North with Brayshaw knowing they would be happy with who was available at 5, If they only had pick 2, who knows, they may have taken Cerra. Personally very happy with the pair.

The expectation would be Brayshaw develops into a better player than that. And there's good reason to think that'll happen. I think he could be a best 5-10 player at the club. And at the time, it was probably the right decision.

What I wouldn't do, is pick Liam Stocker like many Fremantle fans are seeming to want. He's another low ceiling player I feel. With our picks last year, I think we should be aiming higher.

Also, is Sparrow's kicking as bad as it looks in the handful of highlights out there? I mean more technique wise, he looks so awkward but a lot else of what he does is impressive.

He's not the best kick in the draft, but he's not even close to the worst either. He's one of those with an ugly technique at times, but gets results. Be good if there was some better vision of him floating around, the snippets of video don't show the full picture.

He's not the best kick in the draft, but he's not even close to the worst either. He's one of those with an ugly technique at times, but gets results. Be good if there was some better vision of him floating around, the snippets of video don't show the full picture.
Fair enough, thanks. It is awkward looking but I really like his power and acceleration from stoppage or to take people on. We could use some of that.

It is hard to tell when all you can see is snippets. Works both ways too. Highlights can make poor kicks look good at times.

No more ranking updates from me. They stopped playing months ago after all. Only reason to change things now is to make your list match all the rumours coming out.

My last change was just to remove Corbett and McAdam after they got picked up in trade week. Which leaves no mature aged players inside the top 50, which seems about right. Nick Hind and Matthew Parker would be the highest rated available, somewhere around 50-60.

I might do a draft week phantom, although live trading takes some of the fun and accuracy away.

7 days until the draft, so 7 random thoughts?

Tom McKenzie is a top 25 pick. I don't understand why he's not being talked up more on here. Good size at 184cm and has bulked up as the season has progressed, can play midfield or half back. Won the 20m sprint at the Combine - and unlike a lot of the athletes who test well, he's good with his disposal and smart with the ball. I'd be backing him to go earlier than this board would have you believe.

7 days until the draft, so 7 random thoughts?

Tom McKenzie is a top 25 pick. I don't understand why he's not being talked up more on here. Good size at 184cm and has bulked up as the season has progressed, can play midfield or half back. Won the 20m sprint at the Combine - and unlike a lot of the athletes who test well, he's good with his disposal and smart with the ball. I'd be backing him to go earlier than this board would have you believe.
Great kid too although i feel like he doesn't really use his pace that well in matches.

Genuine suprise that he won it, seen him live multiple times and he never struck me as quick.
I've actually seen him get separation really quickly on leads but he never seems to burst from packs or eat up territory on the outside.
Might be a confidence thing or maybe his just not getting it in good spots to find that space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s certainly been glimpses of his speed in the games I’ve seen of his. Simply having the speed there is a weapon, and one I think clubs will rate and one they’ll also back themselves into teaching him how to use best.

I’d have him well ahead of some of the other Victorian midfielders spoken about at the top of the second round.

I'm putting together a final draft week phantom. Spoiler, I've got two trades in the first round...

Gold Coast in: Pick 4
St Kilda in: Pick 6, pick 24

I still think the Suns should go all out on the South Australians, so they move up to make sure they get Connor Rozee. While the Saints can pick up a second round pick, and still get the guy they were going to take at #4 anyway.

GWS in: Pick 16
Fremantle: Pick 21, 2019 second rounder

Anticipating a bid from Adelaide on Kieran Briggs, the Giants trade up to get another pick in before then. Fremantle trade back with a target in mind, and prefer strengthening their 2019 draft hand given they'll likely only take 3 live picks this year.

Have you heard anything regarding Adelaide bidding on Briggs or are you just going by what Matt Balmer said in his Phantom?

Also be prepared for Saints fans to lose it over that trade. I think they have slightly unrealistic expectations of what pick 4 is worth.

Have you heard anything regarding Adelaide bidding on Briggs or are you just going by what Matt Balmer said in his Phantom?

Haven't heard anything specific, but it's a pretty easy call to make really. The AFL website has been all over the speculation. Adelaide will probably look for a tall at some stage, bidding on Briggs at 16 or 21 seems likely. He's the number one ruck in the draft and worth a pick in that range for mine.

Also be prepared for Saints fans to lose it over that trade. I think they have slightly unrealistic expectations of what pick 4 is worth.

Unless they absolutely view one of M King, Caldwell or Smith to be head and shoulders above the rest, I'd trade down and still get one of them at 6. Getting a second rounder to do that would almost be overs.

Thoughts of a random Sainter:
Assuming the ‘big 3’ are gone by pick 4 the Saints want either Rozee or Max King & the conundrum is both will be gone if they trade 4 for 6 & change with the Suns taking Rozee & Port taking Max. It looks like the Saints will keep 4 unless they do a deal for Ports pick 5 & change which gets them Rozee at 5 (Max at 4). Bottom line, deal is unlikely & Saints take Max.

Hi Chris25

Just wanted your opinion on these two draft scenarios for GC at this years draft.

First scenario, GC take both Max and Ben King at selections 2 and 3 leaving St Kilda to take Lukosius at pick 4 and Port to take Rankine at pick 5 leaving GC to swoop in on Bailey Smith at Pick 6. Two key position players plus a gun midfielder would be a great haul. Two brothers plus another close Vic teammate could reduce the go home factor in the coming years particularly if they begin to have some success.

Second scenario, GC take Lukosius and Max King at picks 2 and 3 respectively leaving St Kilda to pounce on Bailey Smith at pick 4 and Port to take Rankine at pick 5 leaving GC at pick 6 to snare Ben King. Three key position players in this draft could really set up the club in years to come.

Would be interested if you have considered this scenario and your thoughts on the possibility of GC pulling a surprise such as this.

Hi Chris25

Just wanted your opinion on these two draft scenarios for GC at this years draft.

First scenario, GC take both Max and Ben King at selections 2 and 3 leaving St Kilda to take Lukosius at pick 4 and Port to take Rankine at pick 5 leaving GC to swoop in on Bailey Smith at Pick 6. Two key position players plus a gun midfielder would be a great haul. Two brothers plus another close Vic teammate could reduce the go home factor in the coming years particularly if they begin to have some success.

Second scenario, GC take Lukosius and Max King at picks 2 and 3 respectively leaving St Kilda to pounce on Bailey Smith at pick 4 and Port to take Rankine at pick 5 leaving GC at pick 6 to snare Ben King. Three key position players in this draft could really set up the club in years to come.

Would be interested if you have considered this scenario and your thoughts on the possibility of GC pulling a surprise such as this.
The Kings plus Lukosius feels like overkill. They still have some KPP depth.
If I was them I would be going the SA route. Lukosius and Rankine, then either Rozee or Hately.

I don't like the idea of the King twins going to the Gold Coast. It might set them up nicely for the future, but they need some wins now or there might not be a future. And besides that, I rate Lukosius and Rankine as better players anyway.

I also really like Josh Corbett as a young key forward. Him and Lukosius could be dangerous, along with Day and Wright. Then add Rankine and Rozee to the mix with Ainsworth and Martin as those midfielders/forwards, and there are far more avenues to goal than they had this year.

My draft week phantom. Here and on the opening page...

I did my best to get the number of selections and list sizes accurate, so we'll see how I went. While with the bidding, I largely guessed the points instead of doing the actual maths. But it should be about right. Picks 4 and 5 are the key ones and shaped the remainder of the top 10, just like they'll do come the real thing.

Round 1
1. Carlton - Sam Walsh (184cm, 74kg from Geelong Falcons)
2. Gold Coast - Izak Rankine (180cm, 76kg from West Adelaide)
3. Gold Coast - Jack Lukosius (194cm, 85kg from Woodville West Torrens)
4. Gold Coast (trade) - Connor Rozee (185cm, 71kg from North Adelaide)
5. Port Adelaide - Jye Caldwell (186cm, 71kg from Bendigo Pioneers)
6. St Kilda - Max King (202cm, 87kg from Sandringham Dragons)
7. Sydney (bid) - Nick Blakey (194cm, 77kg from Sydney Swans Academy)
8. Western Bulldogs - Bailey Smith (185cm, 82kg from Sandringham Dragons)
9. Adelaide - Ben King (202cm, 83kg from Sandringham Dragons)
10. GWS - Jordan Clark (182cm, 78kg from Claremont)
11. Port Adelaide - Chayce Jones (180cm, 74kg from Launceston)
12. Collingwood (bid) - Isaac Quaynor (182cm, 82kg from Oakleigh Chargers)
13. GWS - Zac Butters (181cm, 70kg from Western Jets)
14. Geelong - Riley Collier-Dawkins (193cm, 88kg from Oakleigh Chargers)
15. Adelaide - Jackson Hately (190cm, 81kg from Central District)
16. GWS (trade) - Sam Sturt (188cm, 78kg from Dandenong Stingrays)
17. North Melbourne (bid) - Tarryn Thomas (189cm, 76kg from North Launceston)
18. Port Adelaide - Xavier Duursma (185cm, 71kg from Gippsland Power)
19. GWS (bid) - Kieran Briggs (200cm, 98kg from Pennant Hills)
20. Adelaide - Ned McHenry (178cm, 71kg from Geelong Falcons)
21. Richmond - Liam Stocker (183cm, 83kg from Sandringham Dragons)
22. Brisbane - Luke Valente (186cm, 80kg from Norwood)
23. Fremantle (trade) - Ian Hill (174cm, 65kg from Perth)

Round 2
24. West Coast - Curtis Taylor (186cm, 79kg from Calder Cannons)
25. Adelaide - Bailey Williams (198cm, 95kg from Dandenong Stingrays)
26. West Coast - Jez McLennan (183cm, 81kg from Central District)
27. Melbourne - Tom McKenzie (184cm, 76kg from Northern Knights)
28. Western Bulldogs (bid) - Rhylee West (180cm, 80kg from Calder Cannons)
29. St Kilda (trade) - Ely Smith (188cm, 86kg from Murray Bushrangers)
30. North Melbourne (bid) - Bailey Scott (186cm, 74kg from Broadbeach)
31. Melbourne - Xavier O'Halloran (187cm, 83kg from Western Jets)
32. Gold Coast - Tom Joyce (180cm, 72kg from East Fremantle)
33. Brisbane - Fraser Turner (186cm, 75kg from Clarence)
34. Brisbane (bid) - Connor McFadyen (190cm, 88kg from Brisbane Academy)
35. Fremantle - Luke Foley (187cm, 75kg from Subiaco)
36. Western Bulldogs - Jacob Koschitzke (196cm, 94kg from Murray Bushrangers)
37. Essendon - Tom Sparrow (182cm, 81kg from South Adelaide)
38. St Kilda - Jacob Kennerley (184cm, 75kg from Norwood)
39. Richmond - Jack Bytel (189cm, 80kg from Calder Cannons)
40. Collingwood (bid) - Will Kelly (193cm, 83kg from Oakleigh Chargers)
40. Sydney - Riley Grundy (195cm, 79kg defender from Sturt)

Round 3
41. Sydney - Damon Greaves (186cm, 74kg from East Perth)
42. Fremantle - Tom Lewis (178cm, 80kg from Sturt)
43. Western Bulldogs - Hayden Sampson (177cm, 67kg from South Adelaide)
44. St Kilda - Hugo Munn (197cm, 93kg from Sturt)
45. Western Bulldogs (bid) - Buku Khamis (190cm, 81kg from Western Jets)
46. Geelong - Ben Jarvis (185cm, 77kg from Norwood)
47. Geelong - Riley Bowman (198cm, 82kg from Dandenong Stingrays)
48. GWS - Nick Hind (181cm, 72kg from Essendon VFL)
49. Hawthorn - Will Hamill (185cm, 70kg from Dandenong Stingrays)
50. Melbourne - Sydney Stack (177cm, 72kg from Perth)
51. Brisbane - Tom Berry (185cm, 76kg from GWV Rebels)
52. West Coast (bid) - Jarrod Cameron (180cm, 69kg from Claremont)
53. North Melbourne - Boyd Woodcock (174cm, 68kg from North Adelaide)

Round 4
54. Collingwood - James Blanck (195cm, 80kg from Eastern Ranges)
55. Melbourne - Toby Bedford (176cm, 65kg from Dandenong Stingrays)
56. Richmond - Kyle Reid (193cm, 85kg from Gippsland Power)
57. Fremantle - Jason Carter (182cm, 75kg from Peel Thunder)
58. Essendon - Zac Foot (180cm, 71kg from Dandenong Stingrays)
59. St Kilda - Marlion Pickett (183cm, 85kg from Swan Districts)
60. Richmond - Tyron Smallwood (177cm, 80kg from Claremont)
61. Carlton - Xavier O'Neill (183cm, 78kg from Oakleigh Chargers)
62. Geelong - Oscar Brownless (186cm, 76kg from Geelong Falcons)
63. Carlton - Mitch Grigg (182cm, 85kg from Norwood)
64. West Coast - Oliver Eastland (196cm, 86kg from Claremont)
65. Richmond - James Rowbottom (185cm, 78kg from Oakleigh Chargers)

Round 5
66. Carlton - Ben Silvagni (194cm, 84kg from Oakleigh Chargers)
67. Gold Coast - Will Hickmott (180cm, 76kg from Subiaco)
68. Essendon - Harry Reynolds (190cm, 75kg from Sandringham Dragons)
69. North Melbourne - Joel Crocker (191cm, 73kg from Sandringham Dragons)
70. Sydney - Luke English (180cm, 74kg from Perth)
71. Hawthorn - Irving Mosquito (175cm, 69kg from Gippsland Power)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back