Draft Watcher 2018 (SA) Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put together a post trade week mock draft for the Fremantle board. Might as well post it here too...

It was a relatively quick effort, so I'll use that as a disclaimer if I didn't hit on everyone's needs. I have a feeling I know what the main comments/complaints will be, we'll see if I'm right.

Think clubs will rate sparrow as high as you?

I can’t figure him out. Love the way he bursts from packs. Didn’t like in champs how he didn’t produce very much. Apparently finding more of the ball to finish the season?

Think clubs will rate sparrow as high as you?

I can’t figure him out. Love the way he bursts from packs. Didn’t like in champs how he didn’t produce very much. Apparently finding more of the ball to finish the season?

Probably not. I think he's probably more in the 25-40 range, but he has attributes that clubs could latch onto and want. And when he does put it all together, he's up there with the best midfield prospects this year. I think he's an option for either SA side to 'reach' for given the number of early picks they have.

Hi Chris25 can you give me a run down on Tom Lewis.

I would rather an honest bio from you than the media article I've just read. His numbers though look good.

Thanks

I'm a big fan of Tom Lewis. I had him top 20 all year, but dropped him down into the 30s in my most recent rankings - more because I didn't want it to seem too SA biased. But if I update before the draft, he'll be right back up there. It's hard to call someone a steal before they're even drafted, but if he gets picked where the talk seems to be then he'll be a massive steal in my opinion.

If we're talking true inside midfielders, the bottom of every pack getting the ball out kind. Then Lewis is arguably the best in the draft. There's Ely Smith and Rhylee West too, but Lewis is that good. Put him one of one with Liam Stocker (the TAC Cup Morrish Medal winner as an inside midfielder) and I'd back Lewis to win more often than not. As you said, his numbers are good. He won Sturt's Reserves B&F playing less games than most - reserves, not U18s. Could pretty much count on him to get double figure contested possessions and tackles.

Skills wise, he has elite hands amongst the draft prospects. In close he can get the handball out anywhere, sometimes seeming to contort his body to get it to the open player. For a stocky player, he has good control over his body movements and is slippery in close - hence his good agility testing at the Combine. I'm sure with some more training, he'd be able to drop like Selwood in a tackle every time. While his tackling is super, good technique and strong. Leadership qualities are high from all reports, a lead by example type.

Every year there's that a handful of players for which people say 'if only he was 5cm taller then he'd be a first rounder'. Lewis is one of the few that I think that's true for. His strengths aren't typically the ones that recruiters overlook size for early on in the draft. He doesn't have the speed of Ian Hill or the versatility of another small like Ned McHenry. If you draft him, he's playing as an inside midfielder. I'm sure he could rotate through the forward line with his defensive work, but it's not something you're banking on. He does have average speed, kicking is better over shorter distances. Perhaps some recruiters will have doubts over his crash and bash style - will he still be able to run through packs, will bigger and better tacklers wrap him up before he can squeeze out.

From the sounds of it, there's plenty of interest - generally as a later pick though. But come the third round, I don't think you'll find a much better prospect. And I'd back him to play early and have a successful career. And for Fremantle specifically, I think he'd be a really solid pickup with our third or fourth selection. He'd be a good replacement for Neale and can do the dirty work with Brayshaw in the middle, letting Cerra stay clean and add the polish. With Banfield, Fyfe and Blakely in the middle too, his height wouldn't be a real issue. While Crowden could then focus on developing as a half forward, not needing to split his time in the middle.

I'm a big fan of Tom Lewis. I had him top 20 all year, but dropped him down into the 30s in my most recent rankings - more because I didn't want it to seem too SA biased. But if I update before the draft, he'll be right back up there. It's hard to call someone a steal before they're even drafted, but if he gets picked where the talk seems to be then he'll be a massive steal in my opinion.

If we're talking true inside midfielders, the bottom of every pack getting the ball out kind. Then Lewis is arguably the best in the draft. There's Ely Smith and Rhylee West too, but Lewis is that good. Put him one of one with Liam Stocker (the TAC Cup Morrish Medal winner as an inside midfielder) and I'd back Lewis to win more often than not. As you said, his numbers are good. He won Sturt's Reserves B&F playing less games than most - reserves, not U18s. Could pretty much count on him to get double figure contested possessions and tackles.

Skills wise, he has elite hands amongst the draft prospects. In close he can get the handball out anywhere, sometimes seeming to contort his body to get it to the open player. For a stocky player, he has good control over his body movements and is slippery in close - hence his good agility testing at the Combine. I'm sure with some more training, he'd be able to drop like Selwood in a tackle every time. While his tackling is super, good technique and strong. Leadership qualities are high from all reports, a lead by example type.

Every year there's that a handful of players for which people say 'if only he was 5cm taller then he'd be a first rounder'. Lewis is one of the few that I think that's true for. His strengths aren't typically the ones that recruiters overlook size for early on in the draft. He doesn't have the speed of Ian Hill or the versatility of another small like Ned McHenry. If you draft him, he's playing as an inside midfielder. I'm sure he could rotate through the forward line with his defensive work, but it's not something you're banking on. He does have average speed, kicking is better over shorter distances. Perhaps some recruiters will have doubts over his crash and bash style - will he still be able to run through packs, will bigger and better tacklers wrap him up before he can squeeze out.

From the sounds of it, there's plenty of interest - generally as a later pick though. But come the third round, I don't think you'll find a much better prospect. And I'd back him to play early and have a successful career. And for Fremantle specifically, I think he'd be a really solid pickup with our third or fourth selection. He'd be a good replacement for Neale and can do the dirty work with Brayshaw in the middle, letting Cerra stay clean and add the polish. With Banfield, Fyfe and Blakely in the middle too, his height wouldn't be a real issue. While Crowden could then focus on developing as a half forward, not needing to split his time in the middle.

Thanks for such a comprehensive write up

One of many strong SA lads this year. He probably won't last to our second pick but here's hoping

I love his ability to push through tackles and he stays upright in tackles too. You would swear there is a steel rod in place of his spine.

That’s strength through those thick thighs and hips and core. I think that holds true at next level. Stoked to see his agility testing was super.

People have said he is very slow. That might limit him but he does have some strengths and hopefully that’s enough. Do worry that maybe his ceiling is Anthony miles though? Unless can get lots of outside ball or just plays to his strengths at a super high level.

If you’re gonna take a punt taking a punt on a guy who does a couple of things super well isn’t a bad idea though.

Rankin is the best player in this year draft by miles.

I spent about 18 months prior to last year’s draft saying Jaidyn Stephenson was the best player available. I’ve had Izak Rankine at the top for about 2 years. Best pure talent in a long time.

People have said he is very slow. That might limit him but he does have some strengths and hopefully that’s enough

I would say he’s slow for an AFL player in general, but average at his position. Matt Crouch probably wouldn’t beat him in a foot race and he was a worse runner than Lewis in his draft year. But he’s gone on to be alright.

It’s something that will likely see him slip down the order. But I don’t see it impacting his game at the top level. You don’t draft inside midfielders expecting them to win the grand final sprint.

Agree with all your points and I think it is a very good summation of him as a player. I was very high on him as well but have gone slightly off just based on his size. I do worry as you pointed out whether his crash and bash style will be as suited to the bigger bodies of AFL. One thing is for sure though you will get more determination and effort from this kid than anyone else in the draft.

Lewis screams Luke Tapscott to me, is that a fair comparison?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis screams Luke Tapscott to me, is that a fair comparison?

Geez, Tapscott was a while ago now. I'd say it's unfair from what I remember of him in his draft year though.

I seem to recall Tapscott's game as relying on his size much more than Lewis. Tom is a natural in close and can both power his way and slip through. I think that's the key. When Tapscott was thrown into the middle, he only had one facet to his game - being big. He never really had the smarts to play the position.

Geez, Tapscott was a while ago now. I'd say it's unfair from what I remember of him in his draft year though.

I seem to recall Tapscott's game as relying on his size much more than Lewis. Tom is a natural in close and can both power his way and slip through. I think that's the key. When Tapscott was thrown into the middle, he only had one facet to his game - being big. He never really had the smarts to play the position.
Hi Chris , where can I find your post trade, phantom draft on Freo’s page?

Hi Chis really enjoy reading your insights on the kids and appreciate the time and effort you put in.
Just wondering about Sam Walsh is Silvagni correct to be convinced and decided , is a bonafide 1st pick ? in light of Rankine and Lukosius obvious talent ?
You’ve probebly have asked a few times already, this an important choice for the Baggers.

Hi Chis really enjoy reading your insights on the kids and appreciate the time and effort you put in.
Just wondering about Sam Walsh is Silvagni correct to be convinced and decided , is a bonafide 1st pick ? in light of Rankine and Lukosius obvious talent ?
You’ve probebly have asked a few times already, this an important choice for the Baggers.
I think Walsh is the safer option for Carlton. Rankine is the most talented player in this draft by a long way and could make a lot of clubs look stupid who pass on him. Having said that though he potentially comes with risks so i think that's why silvagni had decided on Walsh who i think will be a good player but Rankine's upside is much higher.

Pudney has no trouble finding it, excellent at clearances, genuine ball magnet, but man his kicking can be bad at times. Good hands though, probably worthy of a late pick or rookie listing. Fit guy, don't wanna say Kane Mitchell because he'll probably be a fair bit better than that but a similar type at least. Has some more size at least.

I agree, he gets plenty but seems to burn it by foot way too much - probably why he only got the one U18 State game.

Whats your thoughts on curtis taylor. Why isnt he getting spoken much and do you see him playing more as a mid

Hi Chris25. I see in your mock you have Port taking iHill. Any chance there may have been a 'gentlemen's agreement' between Port and Freo to leave iHill as a thx for getting them #5 and potentially Rankine during the trade period?
[you know I like iHill :)]

Hi chris
How would you compare luke foley to ohallorahan?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Actually pretty similar prospects - both being versatile midfielders with the ability to push forward. About the same numbers too. Foley is the better mark and I feel will split his time between midfield and half forward more. Whereas O'Halloran is the more explosive of the two, and I think shapes more as a full time midfielder.

Rankine and Lukosius are perhaps the more hyped of the three in the media and on here - one having huge x factor and the other being a KPP. But there's a reason why those involved consider Walsh to be the #1 pick. He's the best midfielder by far, a complete player. I'd have no problem taking him first and he fills a need for Carlton more than the other two anyway.

Whats your thoughts on curtis taylor. Why isnt he getting spoken much and do you see him playing more as a mid

I'm a Taylor fan. I have him pushing the top 15 but he certainly isn't getting as much love as others on here. He has the size that teams like and plays a position that I think is gaining in importance - teams are being successful with medium sized forwards. While I think he could pinch hit in the midfield, I expect he'll settle in the forward half.

Hi Chris25. I see in your mock you have Port taking iHill. Any chance there may have been a 'gentlemen's agreement' between Port and Freo to leave iHill as a thx for getting them #5 and potentially Rankine during the trade period?
[you know I like iHill :)]

I like the idea of Port pairing Rankine and Hill, would instantly solve one of their biggest problems. But I expect he's available for Fremantle. Whether I'd take him is another question though.

Actually pretty similar prospects - both being versatile midfielders with the ability to push forward. About the same numbers too. Foley is the better mark and I feel will split his time between midfield and half forward more. Whereas O'Halloran is the more explosive of the two, and I think shapes more as a full time midfielder.

Rankine and Lukosius are perhaps the more hyped of the three in the media and on here - one having huge x factor and the other being a KPP. But there's a reason why those involved consider Walsh to be the #1 pick. He's the best midfielder by far, a complete player. I'd have no problem taking him first and he fills a need for Carlton more than the other two anyway.

Thanks Chris, appreciate your thoughts.

Have you seen much of Casey voss? Would you expect him to be any chance of being drafted? I believe Brisbane arnt interested in father son selecting him. I do love the romance of father sons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back