VFL 2014 Sandringham Zebras News and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Cockie has been appointed captain for 2014 and is joined in leadership group by Myke Cook, Peter Shakallis, Daniel Maitland & James Munro.

Adam Cockie has been appointed captain for 2014 and is joined in leadership group by Myke Cook, Peter Shakallis, Daniel Maitland & James Munro.
Really hope we give Munro a shot at the big dance in 2015.

Coach's breakdown of the players after that game.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-04-01/vfl-player-breakdown

Perhaps the most interesting comments were for some surprise packets:

Sam Dunell
He had a great game. I thought he was our best forward. He only kicked the one goal but he contributed in all facets of the game with his offensive skills and defensive pressure.

Cameron Shenton
It’s fantastic to see him so confident. Shents has something going for him at the moment and when the ball comes in and when he’s in a position to mark it or compete, he rarely makes a mistake. He very rarely gets out-marked and he’s giving us plenty of drive off half-back.

He’s had three weeks of really good footy now. Unfortunately he’s a rookie but he’s forcing the issue.

I'm really appreciating these appraisals. While they are generally positive and gentle on the criticisms, I don't get the sense that Hudson is just telling us what we want to hear. Where there's areas that need improving, he says so. He just frames it in a way that recognises that the players are developing.

I'm really appreciating these appraisals. While they are generally positive and gentle on the criticisms, I don't get the sense that Hudson is just telling us what we want to hear. Where there's areas that need improving, he says so. He just frames it in a way that recognises that the players are developing.
With that review, it could just be that Shenton replaces Simpkin on the list; not much shorter (188cm to 191cm) and has the pace necessary to make him much more able to play on the quicker mid-sizers and small forwards.

Likely? Maybe not, but possible if he keeps making himself useful in the 2s...

And that is really a good thing.
By Hudson letting us supporters know the appraisal, we get a good idea how the coaches think and we nearly can stop assuming things about players.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Sorry to break it to you, Uncle Barrels, but I have it on good authority that one of your new favourites (and probably the only one that has 1 and 8 as the first two digits in his height), Fallon, is facing up to a month on the sidelines due to that shoulder issue you spotted on the weekend.
Bugger; but I've got Munro and Brayshaw to keep me grounded too ;)

Shame for Fallon, kids got talent.

As we edge closer to round one, every club is full of optimism at what the upcoming season has in store. Some teams are looking to challenge for the premiership, some are hoping to make finals whilst others are just eager to improve on the previous season.

For Sandringham coach Simon McPhee, it’s the latter. He is looking for improvement on what can only be described as a disappointing 2013 season. 2013 saw the Zebras fail to make the finals after a strong 2012 where they played finals for the first time in four years.

“We have a young playing group overall so first and foremost we want to improve and be competitive,” McPhee told True Zebras.

“We finished the year well with a win over Frankston. In that team we had 13 players [that were] 20 years old or younger, so we expect our improvement to come largely from those players.”

Read Entire Article - http://www.truezebras.com/mcphee-looking-for-improvement-in-2014/

The round 6 clash on Saturday May 10 between Footscray and Sandringham at Simonds Stadium will be broadcast live on ABC TV.

The round 6 clash on Saturday May 10 between Footscray and Sandringham at Simonds Stadium will be broadcast live on ABC TV.
Gee, they're sending Saints and Doggies down there AGAIN this year?! Here's hoping it's not like something out of the Noah movie this time...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GOAL POSTS ARE IN!!

10255821_735178366503595_8376071157339537203_n.jpg

Now, we need the Can Hill end to be landscaped..it won't be ready for the first game against Essendon..so no spectators behind the southern end goals for a while...not sure what the time frame is for the job to be finished...but the boundary lines/50 metre arc lines were put down today (Friday afternoon)...the new point posts look about as high as the old goal posts

Noah movie was awesome. But not ideal conditions for footy,

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk
I can no longer take anything you say seriously...

'Can Hill' at TBBO will be closed to the public this Sunday as works on the terracing continue.All other areas of ground will be open. Beer will be available for purchase under the coaches box on the beach side of the ground.

Being drafted by an AFL club is what every young kid dreams of as they kick the ball in the backyard. For those lucky enough to make the big league, it’s the start of an exciting journey. Unfortunately though, not everyone is lucky enough to have his name called out on draft night and Elliot Le Grice was one of them.

Life can throw you many challenges, but it’s how you respond to these challenges that make you the person you are. For 19-year-old Le Grice, being drafted to an AFL club has been his dream and missing out on that opportunity last year took an emotional toll.

“It was a hard reality to face. But afterwards, I just wanted to get pass it and move on to this year,” Le Grice told True Zebras.

Whilst disappointed, Le Grice has been able to turn the negative into a positive and is determined to make sure he doesn’t go through it again. He will be doing everything possible to ensure he has given himself the next best opportunity.

“When anything in life doesn’t go your way, you want to make sure you try everything you can it make sure it doesn’t happen again.

“I just sat down with coach Simon [McPhee] and put together some goals that I wanted to achieve over the course of this year, to give myself the best opportunities.”

Read entire interview - http://www.truezebras.com/le-grice-not-ready-to-give-up-on-his-dream/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back