Past #19: Josh Walker - drafted #23 '11 RD (GFC) - traded to BLFC end '15 - signed by NM as DFA end '19 - 54 NM gms/6 NM gls

Remove this Banner Ad

Corr is fine if he can play the role we recruited him for but unfortunately he has been asked to play a more negating role on key defenders. That's not his strength. If he can go back to playing 3rd defender/interceptor then we will see the best of Corr. I rate him.
Exactly, he was a handy player in a good team that had two good key defenders.

Yeah it's why I would have him 5th in line for a senior gig.

The shocking part is that there were weeks this year where this guy was our most important player. No sledge to Josh but that is a situation that just should never have been. I mean look at last weekend, he ran out with the VFL and then just rolled with it left Arden St and went out with the seniors. This is a bloke who is committed to giving what he can to the club. I am completely ok not shiving him if we don't have to. He's not the future, he knows it and we know it.

I would pay out Polec to make that happen. Josh would be better value and probably has been over his NMFC journey.
We will not be a competitive side for two years plus when Josh and Corr will be too old. While our midfield apart from LDU suck big time, (Simkin would not get a game at most top six side and he will win the BF) our backline really worries me with the age profile of the above two.

What a different position if they were 22 years old.

Enough down side. Josh does the best he can and so does Jye and Corr, Let's not be too negative. I still watch as I think we try but we are not up to it.

Lastly if your claim to fame is that you were better value then Polec......

This is not black and white.

Walker has some elite traits - aerial contest work against big forwards has been very good (until the last game, against Swans, but give him a Mulligan due to bad preparation which was not his fault.)

But his kicking is very poor. KPDs who kick the ball well - with penetration, disguise and who have composure add a lot - like Steven May. If you're the opposition, you give Walker space, let him kick the ball.

However, if we played more of our best kicks in the backline who also run big game kms and get around the back for handball receives, maybe we avoid Walker kicking the footy.

We will not be a competitive side for two years plus when Josh and Corr will be too old. While our midfield apart from LDU suck big time, (Simkin would not get a game at most top six side and he will win the BF) our backline really worries me with the age profile of the above two.

What a different position if they were 22 years old.

Enough down side. Josh does the best he can and so does Jye and Corr, Let's not be too negative. I still watch as I think we try but we are not up to it.

Lastly if your claim to fame is that you were better value then Polec......
I disagree with many points here.

In 2 years time Corr will be 30, that is not too old.

Simpkin in a midfield were he is not needing to be all things to all people would substantially lift his output. It is building now even with just LDU being settled into the main man role.

Back to Josh, I am suggesting that as of next year he goes from being the most important player we have had some weeks this year to being the 5th most important KPD. The cascading effect of being able to play him in the VFL would be significant, while he would still be there to provide back up if we hit dire trouble injury wise. Some kid that we pick up at pick 85 or in the rookie draft is not going to have a mature body, they are likely to be a rake with potential upside, ie the exact type of player that would do well spending a year or 2 in the VFL being protected a bit by a senior body like Walker.

As to Polec, his foot is cooked. He has been on the sidelines for way long enough, we should just rule a line through him come to an agreement and pay him out. Walker could probably play another 4 years injury wise. the limitations he has would remain but his body would be up for it. I am not suggesting we keep him for 4 years just that his body would be up to the rigours of it.

Please no more Josh Walker. We play so much better when he is not playing. He has been very lucky to play so many games because our list management has been horrible regarding key defenders. When bodying forwards and moves them but cant get back to the ball, spoils when he should mark, turns like a houseboat and freezes when he gets the ball. No more!

Will be delisted.

He tried hard, he is a good mark when in position and looks like a fit unit, but I hope this means we no longer get discards from better performing clubs and think somehow we will succeed in doing so.

Will be delisted.

He tried hard, he is a good mark when in position and looks like a fit unit, but I hope this means we no longer get discards from better performing clubs and think somehow we will succeed in doing so.
Unless we bring in a few ready made KPP to replace him then I’d keep on the rookie list

Unless we bring in a few ready made KPP to replace him then I’d keep on the rookie list

Nah. Delist.

Rookie spots can still be very helpful as we need players on the way up (hopefully), not on the way down.

I respect his effort but fact is he is not good enough and doesn't fit our age profile as the worst team in the comp.

Nah. Delist.

Rookie spots can still be very helpful as we need players on the way up (hopefully), not on the way down.

I respect his effort but fact is he is not good enough and doesn't fit our age profile as the worst team in the comp.
I’m all for getting rid of some of the older players like hall

But if we get a KPD injury like last week the only viable option to replace a McKay/Corr is Walker Otherwise you are relying on a McGuinness who hasn’t played a game as the sole backup

So it’s contingent on finding a ready made replacement

I’m all for getting rid of some of the older players like hall

But if we get a KPD injury like last week the only viable option to replace a McKay/Corr is Walker Otherwise you are relying on a McGuinness who hasn’t played a game as the sole backup

So it’s contingent on finding a ready made replacement

Don't care to be honest.

Carrying a sub-standard key defender due to our poor list management is not the way forward. I'd rather lose with a guy with some potential future than keep carrying Walker. (he is not terrible, solid at times, but he has been delisted by Cats and Lions for a reason - where are they on the ladder compared to us?)

It's a list hole sure, but we need as many list positions open to improve and Walker is not part of our future so he has to go (as per Turner)

Does he get a contract or not do we think?

As per my post ^ we obviously are very thin on KPPs, but I am not sure keeping Walker is the answer either (despite his best efforts)

Anyone have a view on this?

Massive list hole due to shocking list management but Walker simply is not very good. (tries hard sure)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're waiting for Logue commitment before pulling the plug.
That makes sense. With Logue, Corr, McKay, and Dawson we are probably ok
I am skeptical about Logue however. I reckon he'll stay in the west. How many WA-born required players do we recall moving interstate?

This is a harsh comment I know.

Walker was unwanted at two teams that are currently still in the Premiership race.

Is it really a surprise we are rock bottom when players like Walker are considered necessary for our list?

(I mean no disrespect to Walker who tries, fit unit but outside a good set of hands overhead he is VFL standard)

This is a harsh comment I know.

Walker was unwanted at two teams that are currently still in the Premiership race.

Is it really a surprise we are rock bottom when players like Walker are considered necessary for our list?

(I mean no disrespect to Walker who tries, fit unit but outside a good set of hands overhead he is VFL standard)

Not really that harsh. He is a mature body who is a pretty limited footballer. He has managed to play a stack of games because he has played at clubs with no key position depth. When those clubs have sorted out those depth issues he has been moved on.

If we had of retained Tazz last year he would’ve played most of this year in the twos.

If he is kept, it’s purely for depth purposes. We still really don’t have a mature body that could fill in at FF in the event Larkey went down.

Not really that harsh. He is a mature body who is a pretty limited footballer. He has managed to play a stack of games because he has played at clubs with no key position depth. When those clubs have sorted out those depth issues he has been moved on.

If we had of retained Tazz last year he would’ve played most of this year in the twos.

If he is kept, it’s purely for depth purposes. We still really don’t have a mature body that could fill in at FF in the event Larkey went down.
Going to Lara in Geelong football league
If moved on

He's only taking a rookie spot? Would keep.

Based on the fact our valuation of 4 rookie spots last year:

1. Redraft Jared Polec (with pick #1)
2. Put an assistant coach on the rookie list
3. Draft Kallan Dawson (tick)
4. Pass (curious)

If we feel the same way this around then just give Josh another spin.

He's only taking a rookie spot? Would keep.

Has that been decided?

I'm not against a rookie spot but a list spot is pretty important too, rookie or otherwise. (plenty of young rookies turn out great, i'm not sure Walker has much more to offer in terms of our future (not his fault either btw))

Has that been decided?

I'm not against a rookie spot but a list spot is pretty important too, rookie or otherwise. (plenty of young rookies turn out great, i'm not sure Walker has much more to offer in terms of our future (not his fault either btw))

My recollection was he came in via SSP and sits on the rookie list as a kind of top-up player. Happy to be corrected on that detail.

I agree re the premise of list spots strongly but am using the club's evaluation of 4 rookie selections in 2022 as precedent. If the rookie draft and MSD were jammed together we drafted: Round 1: Jared Polec, Round 2: Tom Lynch, Round 3: Kallan Dawson, Round 4: Pass.

So we weren't exactly champing at the bit to trial as much new talent as possible via that pathway.

My recollection was he came in via SSP and sits on the rookie list as a kind of top-up player. Happy to be corrected on that detail.

I agree re the premise of list spots strongly but am using the club's evaluation of 4 rookie selections in 2022 as precedent. If the rookie draft and MSD were jammed together we drafted: Round 1: Jared Polec, Round 2: Tom Lynch, Round 3: Kallan Dawson, Round 4: Pass.

So we weren't exactly champing at the bit to trial as much new talent as possible via that pathway.

100% agree with all of that KC but to me it isn't a matter of knowing that, more a reflection of how bad our recruiters and development (or whatever) has been.

That is not a criticism of your post, more you have explained in reality why we are so bad.

Giving up list spots for coaches when we are wooden spooners is/was ridiculous.

If we get extra list spots I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping him, mainly because of his ability to play at both ends of the ground.

Neither or nor there on him though.
Yep happy to take him on, even if it's majority vfl. I've seen him at training and he provides some pretty good leadership to the younger players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back