Player Watch #18: Alex Rance

Remove this Banner Ad

Melts like this are what happens when you put these blokes on pedestals and treat mere mortals as demigods.
I'll sum it for you quickly - players, coaches, their assistants etc. are paid employees of the club. It's their JOB.
They are free to change, jobs anytime, within reason, just as you are.
I'm guessing you are not in the same job you were in when you were first employed? No, you move on and better yourself or improve life for your family.
AFL personnel are exactly the same.
Might surprise you, but they are not unabashed, one-eyed, ultra-obsessed club fans like you.
It's their job and they are free to come and go.

Don';t reckon i am putting him on a pedestal - I believe in being accountable for your own actions. If you think you can quit mid-contract they way he did and then return to play for our arch rival and still be beloved, you got another thing coming. I am completely 100% positive that outside of the total fanboys here that think any speck of negativity directed towards these blokes is a sin against god - the majority of Tiger fans out there will be the same if he does end up playing for the Bombers in the AFL. Your only as good as your last game etc.

Putting someone on a pedestal is thinking their s**t don't stink even when they are doing it on your front lawn.

FFS - ya'll shitted on 'Higgins for leaving & that kid had brain tumours, surgery etc. He left to play for the club he supported after he nearly died! Zero *s were given when he requested the trade. I remember Ottens leaving and people booing that guy to hell and back & laughing when he was sucking it up. NO ONE felt happy for Brad when he won a flag for Geelong. Rances turncoating would be far worse if it played out they way we are suggesting.

You *ers will melt like the witch from the wizard of Oz if he ends up playing against us one day & flogging us. Mark it down. Difference with me is, i don't hold MYSELF on a pedestal. I completely know that i support the club & not individuals. I will love the player when they do right by the club, but the second you bite the hand that fed you....DEAD TO ME!!!!

Last edited:
It's not like plenty of us have been telling him to let it go for more than 12 months.
Definitely, time for him to let it go. :thumbsu:

And i continue to not give to shits what you tell me & do it my own way. Tell the truth and don't bother trying to win fanboys hearts.

FFS - last week when i was celebrating him and saying he needs to come back ya'll were telling me will never happen - blah blah blah blah

A week later he is playing on ******* national TV in the VFL. It pays to think outside the square and in your own unique way, you see stuff that everyone else doesn't,

As I have said though.... my bet is on him coming back to Richmond based on Dimma's words on him on Fox. Dimma looked like my son trying to tell a lie, couldn't keep a straight face when he said he "hasn't spoken to him about a return"

It's on biatches! Enjoy the ride & enjoy the greatest sports story in history! And we were here for the entire thing!!

Who are you to judge what people feel and how they should react. He was 31 when he quit, not some kid in his prime. Maybe quitting was part of the solution that might save the marriage. I do not know, nor do you, but to be so high and mighty when you know squat about his personal situation. It's just football, it's just a game.

Everyone has the right to do that. It's literally called being human. Everyone judges everthing and everyone. What are you doing with your life? Sound like a guy just waiting for a bus

he also quit, mid contract with zero warning on the club, AFTER all our drafts etc - a week before Christmas. He gave the fans zero chance to prepare or sayt goodbye, his exit speech was bland, flat and rang untrue. He left us with no chance of actually replacing him, & after we had already made all our delistings. Considering with the money we saved from his contract we used to re-sign Caddy, its safe to assume that IF he had made his feelings more clear earlier at the appropriate time, we may have been able to offer an improved to Brandon Ellis & keep him at the club, which at the moment - would make a huge difference - I would love to have Brando still at the club playing on the opposite wing to Pickett - there is no ifs or cuts on it, Rances timing was horrendous.

Don't let history cloud your memory mate, his quitting on us was incredibly selfish and poorly timed. The entire club was left dumbfounded - he hardly handled it like a pro of an adult. If he were to come back and go to our arch rival & play for a coach who used to work for us, while all the previous important people who mentored and built his career up for him while we was still there remain at Richmond... its not cool at all. No company would be impressed with that outcome, it would be a total dog act tbh
I was disappointed he didn't play for us again after the year in rehab. I recall Balme saying Rance contract money was able to be used elsewhere in our cap.

Don';t reckon i am putting him on a pedestal - I believe in being accountable for your own actions. If you think you can quit mid-contract they way he did and then return to play for our arch rival and still be beloved, you got another thing coming. I am completely 100% positive that outside of the total fanboys here that think any speck of negativity directed towards these blokes is a sin against god - the majority of Tiger fans out there will be the same if he does end up playing for the Bombers in the AFL. Your only as good as your last game etc.

Putting someone on a pedestal is thinking their sh*t don't stink even when they are doing it on your front lawn.

FFS - ya'll shitted on 'Higgins for leaving & that kid had brain tumours, surgery etc. He left to play for the club he supported after he nearly died! Zero fu**s were given when he requested the trade. I remember Ottens leaving and people booing that guy to hell and back & laughing when he was sucking it up. NO ONE felt happy for Brad when he won a flag for Geelong. Rances turncoating would be far worse if it played out they way we are suggesting.

You f***ers will melt like the witch from the wizard of Oz if he ends up playing against us one day & flogging us. Mark it down. Difference with me is, i don't hold MYSELF on a pedestal. I completely know that i support the club & not individuals. I will love the player when they do right by the club, but the second you bite the hand that fed you....DEAD TO ME!!!!

So, Rance should have half-arsed it for two years to see out his contract to appease a few miserly supports who can't let go like you?
Yeah that would have worked. Fancy a bloke not fully committed to the cause marshalling our defensive troops. Disaster written all over it.
Respect his decision to call it quits instead of phoning it n and respect his other decision to play a random VFL game.
PS At 33 next year, on the million to one chance he plays against us, he won't be flogging us.

think you gotta let it go mate, things happen in life. You’ve been banging on about rance in every thread for2 years now across 2 accounts 😂 afl players careers are short in the overall picture of life, they gotta make decisions to help themselves at the end of the day
Maybe its time to...yawn, end this thread.
Melts like this are what happens when you put these blokes on pedestals and treat mere mortals as demigods.
I'll sum it for you quickly - players, coaches, their assistants etc. are paid employees of the club. It's their JOB.
They are free to change, jobs anytime, within reason, just as you are.
I'm guessing you are not in the same job you were in when you were first employed? No, you move on and better yourself or improve life for your family.
AFL personnel are exactly the same.
Might surprise you, but they are not unabashed, one-eyed, ultra-obsessed club fans like you.
It's their job and they are free to come and go.
think you gotta let it go mate, things happen in life. You’ve been banging on about rance in every thread for2 years now across 2 accounts 😂 afl players careers are short in the overall picture of life, they gotta make decisions to help themselves at the end of the day
It's not like plenty of us have been telling him to let it go for more than 12 months.
Definitely, time for him to let it go. :thumbsu:

Putting someone on a pedestal is thinking their sh*t don't stink even when they are doing it on your front lawn.

FFS - ya'll shitted on 'Higgins for leaving & that kid had brain tumours, surgery etc. He left to play for the club he supported after he nearly died! Zero fu**s were given when he requested the trade. I remember Ottens leaving and people booing that guy to hell and back & laughing when he was sucking it up. NO ONE felt happy for Brad when he won a flag for Geelong. Rances turncoating would be far worse if it played out they way we are suggesting.

You f***ers will melt like the witch from the wizard of Oz if he ends up playing against us one day & flogging us. Mark it down. Difference with me is, i don't hold MYSELF on a pedestal. I completely know that i support the club & not individuals. I will love the player when they do right by the club, but the second you bite the hand that fed you....DEAD TO ME!!!!

All this reasonableness is more than boring, it is making me quite ill, and has no place on Bigfooty. If you are not on a serious melt stop wasting my time ;)

Shat on Higgins for leaving? Most wished him well. Ottens was in his prime when he moved. And couldn't give a rats arse what Rance does, it's only football mate. When they are gone they are gone. Good on Otto for a great careeer. Good on Prestia, Lynch and Caddy for coming to Richmond. Or does that only work when the boot is on the other foot.

Chill bro. Rance won't be playing for anyone in the AFL. How would he get to the Bombers anyway??

One of the best players I've seen pull the boots on was Wayne Carey. Looked like a broken down hack playing for Adelaide after a year off. How do you think Rance would go after 3 years off?? He's playing for no-one, and I certainly don't want him at Richmond now.

Chill bro. Rance won't be playing for anyone in the AFL. How would he get to the Bombers anyway??

One of the best players I've seen pull the boots on was Wayne Carey. Looked like a broken down hack playing for Adelaide after a year off. How do you think Rance would go after 3 years off?? He's playing for no-one, and I certainly don't want him at Richmond now.
Fully concur

Shat on Higgins for leaving? Most wished him well. Ottens was in his prime when he moved. And couldn't give a rats arse what Rance does, it's only football mate. When they are gone they are gone. Good on Otto for a great careeer. Good on Prestia, Lynch and Caddy for coming to Richmond. Or does that only work when the boot is on the other foot.

I dunno where you have been hanging out, but it wasn't here. Missy Higgins hasn't got many mates here from what i have read?

This concept that Richmond folk are happy go lucky "wish you wells" is very foreign and false. We havent changed our stripes that much after 5 years of success & thats just the way i like it.

Lets see how many well wishes Shai Bolton gets if he signs with West Coast... I have no idea why people are so desperate to think we are some bunch of wholesome folk who smile & shake hands with our former staff and wish them all the best. That is SO not who we are & why would you want to be any different? If thats what you like, barrack for Melbourne, GWS or Gold Coast,

All this is for exceptional banters sake, ya'll realise that right? This orchestrated footy drama is far more healthy for us than all those *******s walking through Sydney today for "Freedoms" sake not wearing mask and stuff. Choose your poison fella's - mine is footy drama over the shitshow which has become the real world:rainbow:

I dunno where you have been hanging out, but it wasn't here. Missy Higgins hasn't got many mates here from what i have read?

This concept that Richmond folk are happy go lucky "wish you wells" is very foreign and false. We havent changed our stripes that much after 5 years of success & thats just the way i like it.

Lets see how many well wishes Shai Bolton gets if he signs with West Coast... I have no idea why people are so desperate to think we are some bunch of wholesome folk who smile & shake hands with our former staff and wish them all the best. That is SO not who we are & why would you want to be any different? If thats what you like, barrack for Melbourne, GWS or Gold Coast,

All this is for exceptional banters sake, ya'll realise that right? This orchestrated footy drama is far more healthy for us than all those *******s walking through Sydney today for "Freedoms" sake not wearing mask and stuff. Choose your poison fella's - mine is footy drama over the shitshow which has become the real world:rainbow:
So you reckon we should all be like you...

So reasonable of you champ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have literally been passing judgement on me for us all to see, right here. There is no difference mate. It's what we do- its all good man :)

I've been arguing with you on certain points, there has to be some value judgement in that, half this board is filled up with similar arguments.
Nothing wrong with your passion, a bit full on for me, but as you say - it's all good man.

he also quit, mid contract with zero warning on the club, AFTER all our drafts etc - a week before Christmas. He gave the fans zero chance to prepare or sayt goodbye, his exit speech was bland, flat and rang untrue. He left us with no chance of actually replacing him, & after we had already made all our delistings. Considering with the money we saved from his contract we used to re-sign Caddy, its safe to assume that IF he had made his feelings more clear earlier at the appropriate time, we may have been able to offer an improved to Brandon Ellis & keep him at the club, which at the moment - would make a huge difference - I would love to have Brando still at the club playing on the opposite wing to Pickett - there is no ifs or cuts on it, Rances timing was horrendous.

Don't let history cloud your memory mate, his quitting on us was incredibly selfish and poorly timed. The entire club was left dumbfounded - he hardly handled it like a pro of an adult. If he were to come back and go to our arch rival & play for a coach who used to work for us, while all the previous important people who mentored and built his career up for him while we was still there remain at Richmond... its not cool at all. No company would be impressed with that outcome, it would be a total dog act tbh
The club knew in July that he was considering retirement. It didn't come as a surprise to them.

It is disappointing though that he made the decision after the trade period and draft.

he looks exactly like you remember, a physical beast.

3 touches at 100% efficiency & linking up well

he honestly looks like the fittest and most professional player on the ground 2-1 based on his body - he has clearly kept in A1 shape

won a contested possesion on the back half and switched the play beautifully

3 years out and so far you wouldn't guess it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back