Senior 16. Jack Carroll

Remove this Banner Ad

16-carroll-jpg.1578900

Last edited by a moderator:

I like how the intrinsic value of a player depends on if they play for us. Imagine if we had traded the pick that became 41 for some serviceable plodder and Carroll was picked at pick 44 (for example) by some club not involved in the trade - the serviceable plodder would have been worth pick 41 and it would have been 'Jack who?'.

Last edited:
I like how the intrinsic value of a player depends on if they play for us. Imagine if we had traded the pick that became 41 for some serviceable plodder and Carroll was picked at pick 44 (for example) buy some club not involved in the trade - it would have been 'Carroll who?'.

the players quality is not connected with their association with us. either our unwillingness or capacity to be aware of every other player makes this difficult but whoever got this kid would be objectively profiting from it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

the players quality is not connected with their association with us. either our unwillingness or capacity to be aware of every other player makes this difficult but whoever got this kid would be objectively profiting from it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Precisely my point; it was a comment on how we celebrate it whenever we find a 'gem' through the draft but when we trade picks away then it's just an arbitrary number. I'm just noticing the potential for cognitive dissonance between the response to pick 10 for Saad versus our enthusiasm for pick 41 after the fact.

Last edited:
how the fu** did he slip to pick 41?

guy is an absolutel gem.

such a natural footballer.

i hope we can keep him on as a one club player.

Those were the exact wraps on draft night. Steal of the draft apparently.

He was also the youngest player taken in the 2020 draft (20 December 2002 birthday, so only just scraped in) so arguably had the most upside.

Pretty accurate read here:

Jack Carroll

Those were the exact wraps on draft night. Steal of the draft apparently.

He was also the youngest player taken in the 2020 draft (20 December 2002 birthday, so only just scraped in) so arguably had the most upside.

Pretty accurate read here:

Jack Carroll
Having now seen him play at Afl level those descriptions of his traits are spot on.

None more so than....

...an elite combination of decision making and disposal efficiency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just need to confirm as I started watching the game essentially from when he kicked the goal, but was that his first kick & first disposal in footy?
Yes, he did have hands on the footy prior to that but he got clobbered in a tackle over the boundary line.

We got a first round/top 10 talent at pick 41.

Let that sink in next time you question Curly Jnr and his recruitment team, there is a good reason the Dogs were upset when he defected to us.

Austin has been very good at identifying talent, hopefully his mantra of continuing with undersized spine players doesn't continue like it also did at the Dogs

We got a first round/top 10 talent at pick 41.

Let that sink in next time you question Curly Jnr and his recruitment team, there is a good reason the Dogs were upset when he defected to us.
It is more of a reflection on the other recruiters that allowed him to slide.

While I was critical of Austin giving up pick 8 for Saad, (as I think that is overpaying for a HBF based off comparable trades ), I would have been happy with using that pick on Carroll due to his exposed form and being bottom age . So overall it was a great outcome.

I like how the intrinsic value of a player depends on if they play for us. Imagine if we had traded the pick that became 41 for some serviceable plodder and Carroll was picked at pick 44 (for example) by some club not involved in the trade - the serviceable plodder would have been worth pick 41 and it would have been 'Jack who?'.
Please edit your post and add. That is why you keep your draft picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back