Senior 16. Jack Carroll

Remove this Banner Ad

16-carroll-jpg.1578900

Last edited by a moderator:
Durds wouldn't have made it to pick 41 I reckon. And he's shown he should have been taken higher in the draft. A lot of other clubs let themselves down in their scouting on both of these guys :D

Adelaide were going to take Durdin with their next pick after ours, so we made the right call there and on Carroll.

Nailing these mid range draft picks is the bread and butter of every top 4 team and I am really happy we are getting better in in regard in recent years (not that I think we are a top 4 team yet)

Durds wouldn't have made it to pick 41 I reckon. And he's shown he should have been taken higher in the draft. A lot of other clubs let themselves down in their scouting on both of these guys :D

We use to have a big problem of not being able to find gems at lower picks and the second round was said to be a problem area for us. Over the last 5 drafts, we have taken TDK (30), Stocker (19), Kemp (17), Durdin (37), Carroll (41).

Philp (20) and Motlop (27) have not played in the seniors. Philp for two games but that was 2 years ago. That is some great recruiter and a high strike rate.

Common thread is that both had a rookie year in the VFL followed by a massive pre season - call it development, culture, whatever, but a major difference between these guys and past crops - see 2017 - is that we're not a s**t club anymore

I asked for this and it was done.

If only my wife and kids operated like this...

Wife: “I would operate like that but what have you done that is praise worthy?”

ferrisb: * points at children*

Wife: “I said “praise worthy”.

^^^^ Finding space is awesome, but I am more interested in what came next.

It's one thing to get the ball, it's another to use it well. His handpasses were to advantage. Kicks were to a target and/or advantage.

Sometimes he played on. Sometimes he held onto the ball until he had a better option. Seemed to not only make good decisions but also have great execution.

The match was as easy as it gets; North gave us space and no one is going to worry about a first-gamer, BUT.... he seems to be really good at allowing his side to retain possession.

I talk about it every year as my #1 attribute for draftees.

Who are the players that 'retain possession'? It seems pretty straightforward, but to me getting the ball to a teammate is the most underrated skill in footy.

Who cares if you can run, jump or even kick the ball 60m if you are just banging the ball on your boot or kick to a 1-on-1?

There are some players that just have a knack of finding a teammate. The ones who can spot free players, kick to advantage, not give off hospital passes, weight the ball etc. It's more than just kicking skills though, it's decision making, footy IQ, awareness, gameplan adherence.

Cripps gets plaudits for being a superhuman extractor, but it's the fact he shovels the ball out to an open teammate and breaks the game open that is his real skill. Most of our defenders hold the ball for 5 seconds before kicking down the line. But Simmo almost always seems finds a spare man.
Samo doesn't get rid of the ball instantly, he dances around, surveys the field and usually hits a marking/running target.
Outside of Carlton, I look at someone like Sidebottom. I swear every time he gets the ball, a teammate has it in an advantageous position 2 seconds later.

So, I ask....who are the guys in the draft pool that will not just get the ball but break the game open or start a chain that makes meaningful progress up the field?

So far Carroll looks to have nailed this brief.

It's one thing to get the ball, it's another to use it well. His handpasses were to advantage. Kicks were to a target and/or advantage.

Sometimes he played on. Sometimes he held onto the ball until he had a better option. Seemed to not only make good decisions but also have great execution.

The match was as easy as it gets; North gave us space and no one is going to worry about a first-gamer, BUT.... he seems to be really good at allowing his side to retain possession.

Among all the nice things he did, it's the simple passage of play down the wing which I really liked.

Took a mark, was patient with it, waited for the lead, and executed the kick with perfection to Durdin. Too often, our players are just going for a long bomb down the wing rather than waiting that extra 5 seconds for a short/medium kick to retain possession. Which also leads me to give a kudos to Durdin - he was initially pointing up the ground to tell Carroll to bomb it long, Durdin recognised the space in front of him and led accordingly. These types of kick can't and won't be made unless leads are made. A pet peeve of mine is our players ignoring perfectly good leads then going for a long bomb instead. Just why?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching that highlight I was going to mention pretty much this.

how well he uses the ball. He never bombed it long in hope. It was always a well thought out and executed pass.

Also he didn’t hand pass for the sake of getting the ball out to next nearest team mate in a rush... he was cool calm and collected and looked a little further and went to better options. Ie no hospital hand passes like we’ve been accustomed to by many of our players in recent history.

Basically a smart and skillfull player.

We’ve had plenty of skillfull players but to have a team player that plays smartly is so pleasing.

Among all the nice things he did, it's the simple passage of play down the wing which I really liked.

Took a mark, was patient with it, waited for the lead, and execute the kick with perfection to Durdin. Too often, our players are just going for a long bomb down the wing rather than waiting that extra 5 seconds for a short/medium kick to retain possession. Which also leads me to give a kudos to Durdin - he was initially pointing up the ground to tell Carroll to bomb it long, Durdin recognised the space in front of him and led accordingly. These types of kick can't and won't be made unless leads are made. A pet peeve of mine is our players ignoring perfectly good leads then going for a long bomb instead. Just why?
Also pet peeve of mine.

Classic example was when H had it on a wing and jsos offered a clear lead 20m away but the look on H face as if to say no jack I’m going long down the line...next thing Roos players get possession and kick it straight back to roughly where H started. I hope they analyse things like this and H learns to do better in those situations.

In my defence, I think you'll agree we do have players that ACTUALLY STRUGGLE TO GET THE ******* THING IN THE FIRST ******* PLACE!!!

message ends - may your god be with you.......

Not so sure about this. He had exposed form in his draft year as opposed to the Vic kids.

I was upset that we overpaid for Saad (who I love but a top 10 pick for a hbf is too much). Carrols selection made up for it in our overall trade/draft haul
Overpaid for Saad? He'll be top three in the BNF this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back