Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

FefVqZPB.jpg

Braeden Campbell
[Player Profile TBA]
Pick 5

I think Horse has sent a clear message to Campbell that talent and potential will not be enough to keep a spot in the side. He has fallen well behind the likes of McInerney and Gulden on the wing and Jordan is now the current preferred backup to our prime movers on the flanks.

I think this has come about due to his inability to find the ball as consistently as his competition as well as his relative lack of intensity. Looks like it's time for another spell in the reserves where I'd play him on ball. A few games where he racks up some big numbers (hopefully) would do him a world of good.

I think he just picked a sub , needed wicks pressure as Fox was going back and Campbell fell out. I mean Horse might well send a message to himself and give campbell a chance on the ball one day

I agree with you Wheresbuddy , this is tough day for Braeden Campbell. I think his demotion to sub is significant. Both Jordon and Roberts have overtaken him. Roberts is playing a role somewhat similar to Campbell, largely in defence. The difference is that Roberts is stronger at the contest and more composed in his ball use after years of being a star midfielder. Braeden's advantages are speed and his laser boot. But Roberts is a really good kick too.

Interesting to see the way forward for Braeden. He's got a lot of talent but he's also got a lot of competition for a spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you Wheresbuddy , this is tough day for Braeden Campbell. I think his demotion to sub is significant. Both Jordon and Roberts have overtaken him. Roberts is playing a role somewhat similar to Campbell, largely in defence. The difference is that Roberts is stronger at the contest and more composed in his ball use after years of being a star midfielder. Braeden's advantages are speed and his laser boot. But Roberts is a really good kick too.

Interesting to see the way forward for Braeden. He's got a lot of talent but he's also got a lot of competition for a spot.
Agree Calli.

Good thing that he is signed for a few more years and, most significantly, is in that best 22-25 range, so will not be without opportunities.

I noticed once he came on that he was started at a few centre bounces, indicating both Horse & co's confidence in his ability to try him there, and a willingness to experiment to ensure they get the best out of him.

It could be a blessing in disguise if he ends up in the VFL. I'd like to see him tried in the midfield, learn how to work and win the ball in a telephone box, how to use his speed to attack a contest and then break away from a contest. All that stuff that I think his attributes lend themselves to but team dynamics haven't.

He hasn’t played since Feb. No probables about it.

Probably comes straight back in?

I still think he should play VFL first , last we saw he was slow and out of form

I'd rather Campbell play on the wing than Lloyd, Campbell is a better kick and more composed these days

lloyd is smarter and is always presenting in the right spot similar to when he was always there for the overlap play when he was winning BnFs in the backline

did that again today

campbell would need to show a lot more to boot lloyd out of the wing

This is where I'm at. Needs a few games full time on the wing in the VFL.

He isn't a defender and I've got my doubts he's an inside mid.

Yep and you can’t have your wingers sub 15 disposals you just can’t sorry to be blunt it’s the reason JMac has improved heaps he’s gone from there to early 20’s and mid 20’s. I know Campbell locks well but it’s useless getting it 14-17 times at best

I'd rather Campbell play on the wing than Lloyd, Campbell is a better kick and more composed these days

I know who I'd trust more at this stage in a big game and it's not Campbell.

Campbell would do well with some midfield minutes in the reserves to build his confidence back. He got some late minutes on Touk Miller when he came on, stood him at three centre bounces so maybe that'll lead to more of the same at VFL level.

Sadly I fear that despite the tools he has, Campbell has yet to discover how to impose himself on a game. He does some good things but not enough. Jordon has walked into the club and elbowed him aside, making that spot his, without much fight from Campbell.
Maybe he's too easygoing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back