Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

FefVqZPB.jpg

Braeden Campbell
[Player Profile TBA]
Pick 5

Sadly I fear that despite the tools he has, Campbell has yet to discover how to impose himself on a game. He does some good things but not enough. Jordon has walked into the club and elbowed him aside, making that spot his, without much fight from Campbell.
Maybe he's too easygoing.
I kinda feel like Horse doesn't really know what to do with Campbell. And that's not a criticism of Horse, more a statement on Campbell. Because I don't really know what to do with him either. Seems like none of us do. It's been the story of his three and a bit years with us so far.

He gets thrown around a bit. Plays on the wing but never really consistently enough to impose himself. Plays down back but it just kinda wastes his best attributes. Floats forward a bit but struggles to get the ball.

I look at his attributes and the player I think he could be is someone like a Chad Warner. Hang around the fringes of contests for the quick receive and the fast break into space. He's quicker than Warner and a better kick than Warner. All the great Campbell moments that have wowed us over the years - long-range goals on the run, breaking lines etc. - have been Warner-esque. I'd maybe have him trying to play that sort of role in the VFL for a while. Could also be a good complement to Sheldrick, Cleary & Mitchell's games in the reserves, too.

I know who I'd trust more at this stage in a big game and it's not Campbell.

Campbell would do well with some midfield minutes in the reserves to build his confidence back. He got some late minutes on Touk Miller when he came on, stood him at three centre bounces so maybe that'll lead to more of the same at VFL level.

Lloyd has had a lot more opportunity to earn trust helps

But perhaps the answer is Campbell has a month in the twos to build confidence.

Guess purely for team mix and current form I'd rather try Campbell. I know what Lloyds best is and I also know what he is currently giving me. History suggests the end comes quickly

I kinda feel like Horse doesn't really know what to do with Campbell. And that's not a criticism of Horse, more a statement on Campbell. Because I don't really know what to do with him either. Seems like none of us do. It's been the story of his three and a bit years with us so far.

He gets thrown around a bit. Plays on the wing but never really consistently enough to impose himself. Plays down back but it just kinda wastes his best attributes. Floats forward a bit but struggles to get the ball.

I look at his attributes and the player I think he could be is someone like a Chad Warner. Hang around the fringes of contests for the quick receive and the fast break into space. He's quicker than Warner and a better kick than Warner. All the great Campbell moments that have wowed us over the years - long-range goals on the run, breaking lines etc. - have been Warner-esque. I'd maybe have him trying to play that sort of role in the VFL for a while. Could also be a good complement to Sheldrick, Cleary & Mitchell's games in the reserves, too.

Jmac kind of took the spot , Gulden left him for dead

Can't really break a line like Florent and isn't as big as say Roberts or Blakey, so no spot there

Jmac kind of took the spot , Gulden left him for dead

Can't really break a line like Florent and isn't as big as say Roberts or Blakey, so no spot there
Agree there's no spot, that's why I think we need to try something else. I look at Campbell's best footy and who it's reminded me of most.

It's not really moments of poise or composure like a Gulden or a Lloyd. It's not really moments of hardness and attack on the ball/man like a Rowbottom. It's not really any moments of blitz-like rebounding like a Blakey or a Florent.

It's short but electric bursts of speed and power and kicking around the arc, like a Warner. That's the way I'd be going. Go to the VFL and model your game off Warner. See you in a month or so if we need you.

I fear that dropped to VFL Campbell will just accept it rather than lightning a fire under him. But your suggestion is worth trying.

Honestly, it's a good thing we seem to be able to find diamonds in the rough, because we basically whiffed on pick 5s in consecutive years. Stephens is already gone and Campbell is getting the sub vest in year four. I know the latter doesn't count the same as he was an Academy pick, but that's still draft capital we used.

Sadly I fear that despite the tools he has, Campbell has yet to discover how to impose himself on a game. He does some good things but not enough. Jordon has walked into the club and elbowed him aside, making that spot his, without much fight from Campbell.
Maybe he's too easygoing.
Even Ricking Ponting and Steve Waugh were dropped from the Australian cricket side. They went away and came back and became better players. It happens. Players have to be better. A kick up the arse. A drop from the side. Same thing. Get better. And come back and be much better. Competition is good.

Honestly, it's a good thing we seem to be able to find diamonds in the rough, because we basically whiffed on pick 5s in consecutive years. Stephens is already gone and Campbell is getting the sub vest in year four. I know the latter doesn't count the same as he was an Academy pick, but that's still draft capital we used.
If there's one draft we can't complain about it's the 2020 one.

Campbell is more than a great kick. He is disciplined, gutsy and very team oriented. Reckon he is under appreciated.
Uncle, those things can all be true (they are!) and what I fear (that he doesn't know how to impose himself on a game) can also be true.
No-one hopes more than me that every player on our list finds success and fulfilment.
Of course, they won't, that's the nature of competition, but hopefully not for lack of support or from active death riding.

Uncle, those things can all be true (they are!) and what I fear (that he doesn't know how to impose himself on a game) can also be true.
No-one hopes more than me that every player on our list finds success and fulfilment.
Of course, they won't, that's the nature of competition, but hopefully not for lack of support or from active death riding.

Doubt he will be an A grader but does a lot of lock down work. Don’t know if he has been developed in the right manner but there is still plenty of time.

Campbell is more than a great kick. He is disciplined, gutsy and very team oriented. Reckon he is under appreciated.

I agree with all of this but I do think it was the right time for a circuit breaker for him. He’s got those qualities and therefore he should be capable of more than he’s giving. I still hold the view that it’s the mental part of the game that hasn’t quite dropped yet. He seems to me like he doesn’t truly believe he is good enough to be a very impactful player at seniors level. I get the sense he believes he can be a good team player and that’s it to this point. He has taken instruction to be solid defensively but we need him to be excellent and daring with the ball in hand for him fulfil his potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with all of this but I do think it was the right time for a circuit breaker for him. He’s got those qualities and therefore he should be capable of more than he’s giving. I still hold the view that it’s the mental part of the game that hasn’t quite dropped yet. He seems to me like he doesn’t truly believe he is good enough to be a very impactful player at seniors level. I get the sense he believes he can be a good team player and that’s it to this point. He has taken instruction to be solid defensively but we need him to be excellent and daring with the ball in hand for him fulfil his potential.

This statement reminds me on the journey we went through with Blakey - and look at him now! It also applies to a lesser extent with Florent.

Said at the start of the year he would struggle

Besides a nice left foot what other attributes does he bring atm?

Speed. And a modicum of hardness.

This statement reminds me on the journey we went through with Blakey - and look at him now! It also applies to a lesser extent with Florent.

Speed. And a modicum of hardness.
When he attacks the ball or the contest he looks terrific. He's not at all afraid of the contest.
But he does seem a bit unsure when to press the "go" button. A bit the opposite of Gulden or Blakey, who are always on the lookout for opportunities to impose themselves on the game.

Said at the start of the year he would struggle

Besides a nice left foot what other attributes does he bring atm?

Speed, goal sense- kick and set up, good vision

Belongs on a wing, went ok last year

Needs more of it though

i agree ... some of the stuff in the past few posts is blinkered opinion
campbell is in our best 22 (or 23) as far as i'm concerned ... part of his "problem" might be insecurity because he doesn't have a defined role ... isn't that a coaching problem? it's not like he can go out on the field and do whatever suits him

It's pointless suggesting that he tries to play like Chad because he isn't, and never has been, that player. Yes, he has a great left peg, but even that has limited use if you don't get the ball enough. Even in his junior years it was obvious that he had talent but just didn't find the ball enough - this is something that will transfer into their senior careers more often than not, so we can't be surprised.
He has pace and hardness and a good left boot, so that suggests to me that he is a backman, not a winger or forward. I think that he would be a good option to take over from Cunners at some stage as the lockdown on the small forward who could then hit the outlet kick if he wins the ball.

I'm struggling to figure out what the go is here and why some feel he's not doing much or why he's out of favour. When I watch he's one of those guys I don't focus on too much, just gloss over him trusting that he's doing his thing along with guys like Lloyd, florent, cunningham, JJ, Roberts etc. Despite that, he also plays in a way where he makes you take notice with his attack on the ball, imposure and work rate, more so than some of the others mentioned, and I barely notice him doing much wrong. I just don't see any issue with him, think he's tracking well, worked his way into the team on a standard timeline.. But now random question marks and out of favour, i just don't see the problem in his performances. I don't see any urgency to find some sort of breakout positional performance from him.

I agree that the club might not have figured out his best position which is a development tactic we seem to use with most our youngins. But to suggest that JJ has comprehensively ousted him is an overstatement. Again like Campbell, I don't have much critisicm of JJ either, another one of those blokes that just plays an important yet unremarkable role, but JJ hasn't exactly been a crazy revelation either and was probably seen by many as the potential fall guy for a few weeks running now. I'm not really fussed if there's a bit of musical chairs, but imo Campbell has been more of a weapon in comparison to those around him.

Last edited:
Speed, goal sense- kick and set up, good vision

Belongs on a wing, went ok last year

Needs more of it though

He might but as a modern day winger you aren't surviving getting it 18-19 at the absolute utter most. You need to be as a bare minimum of 23-24, ideally near 30 touches a game. I actually agree with you that he screams a winger but then he doesn't scream on when he goes missing a vast portion of the game. No point being this elite kick if you get it 10 times a game.

He might but as a modern day winger you aren't surviving getting it 18-19 at the absolute utter most. You need to be as a bare minimum of 23-24, ideally near 30 touches a game. I actually agree with you that he screams a winger but then he doesn't scream on when he goes missing a vast portion of the game. No point being this elite kick if you get it 10 times a game.
Which pure winger is averaging 23-24 disposals a game this year?

Some of the better ones like Langdon at Melbourne or Acres at the Blues are only averaging early 20’s at best.

Nic Martin from the Bombers gets the ball but that is inflated by kick ins.

I'm struggling to figure out what the go is here and why some feel he's not doing much or why he's out of favour. When I watch he's one of those guys I don't focus on too much, just gloss over him trusting that he's doing his thing along with guys like Lloyd, florent, cunningham, JJ, Roberts etc. Despite that, he also plays in a way where he makes you take notice with his attack on the ball, imposure and work rate, more so than some of the others mentioned, and I barely notice him doing much wrong. I just don't see any issue with him, think he's tracking well, worked his way into the team on a standard timeline.. But now random question marks and out of favour, i just don't see the problem in his performances. I don't see any urgency to find some sort of breakout positional performance from him.

I agree that the club might not have figured out his best position which is a development tactic we seem to use with most our youngins. But to suggest that JJ has comprehensively ousted him is an overstatement. Again like Campbell, I don't have much critisicm of JJ either, another one of those blokes that just plays an important yet unremarkable role, but JJ hasn't exactly been a crazy revelation either and was probably seen by many as the potential fall guy for a few weeks running now. I'm not really fussed if there's a bit of musical chairs, but imo Campbell has been more of a weapon in comparison to those around him.

this is about the most sensible post on campbell, and also on jordon
both play their roles in a side sitting second
this whole thing seems to be more a case that we're 5-1, we're going pretty well, but some people simply feel the need to find something to post about ... hence, a manufactured "controversy" ...
some posters would prefer we're back where we were a year ago, with calamity upon calamity to be furiously discussed day after day

we could go unbeaten for the next three years and the glass-half-empty posters would still find something to whinge about

Which pure winger is averaging 23-24 disposals a game this year?

Some of the better ones like Langdon at Melbourne or Acres at the Blues are only averaging early 20’s at best.

Nic Martin from the Bombers gets the ball but that is inflated by kick ins.

Look at the increase in jmac’s numbers that’s where Campbell needs to be and Langdon gets it more than Campbell he’s had games in the high 20’s. Acres gets 20+ most weeks (I should know he’s usually one I follow). You can’t have 15-17 possession wingers the game has changed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back