Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

FefVqZPB.jpg

Braeden Campbell
[Player Profile TBA]
Pick 5

i am hoping for some long bombs for goal in 2024.
I want to see him loitering like Buddy behind those taking frees on the 50 or further out and running around and bombing long goals.
I want opposition players worried about his ability to kick long goals like Buddy.
I want opposition coaches making plans to counter his ability to kick long bombs.
I want players worried because their coaches are worried about his ability to kick long goals.
I want to watch all of his long bombs on Youtube in one long video at the end of 2024 after we win the flag in 2024. Repeatedly.

i am hoping for some long bombs for goal in 2024.
I want to see him loitering like Buddy behind those taking frees on the 50 or further out and running around and bombing long goals.
I want opposition players worried about his ability to kick long goals like Buddy.
I want opposition coaches making plans to counter his ability to kick long bombs.
I want players worried because their coaches are worried about his ability to kick long goals.
I want to watch all of his long bombs on Youtube in one long video at the end of 2024 after we win the flag in 2024. Repeatedly.
The ha-ha is a delighted ha-ha. Great idea.

Happy birthday Braeden!

Here's hoping you have your best year yet, and break-out in 2024!

Last year was the first you became cemented in the senior team. You improved your stats on previous seasons but still only averaged 15.7 disposals and 2.8 tackles.

I would like to see us get the ball in your hands a bit more because you are one of the best kicks in the team and have the potential to use it devastatingly. You absolutely have the tools to become a weapon for the team, and feared by oppositions. I have full confidence you can step it up. Bring it!

Happy birthday Braeden!

Here's hoping you have your best year yet, and break-out in 2024!

Last year was the first you became cemented in the senior team. You improved your stats on previous seasons but still only averaged 15.7 disposals and 2.8 tackles.

I would like to see us get the ball in your hands a bit more because you are one of the best kicks in the team and have the potential to use it devastatingly. You absolutely have the tools to become a weapon for the team, and feared by oppositions. I have full confidence you can step it up. Bring it!

Yes. I think if Campbell can increase his output to averaging 20 disposals a match that will be a huge tick for 2024.

Yes. I think if Campbell can increase his output to averaging 20 disposals a match that will be a huge tick for 2024.
Yep. Going back over the second half of last season Braeden looked great when he found a bit of space. Went in hard compared to 2022.

Just looking over Braeden's stats by game last season, he started off the season modestly and finished it inconsistently. Overall he was pretty good in our win streak at the end of the year but he was uneven. Using his AFL Fantasy scores as a rough guide, over the last 7 games he played (starting with the win over the Bulldogs and concluding with the elimination final loss to Carlton), he had scores of: 45, 95, 110, 33, 67, 22, 87. Some of the games he performed well in were important. His best game was in the 2 point win over Essendon where he had 26 touches and 535 metres gained from 75% game time. He also performed well in the draw against the Cats and the narrow finals loss to Carlton.

That inconsistency is to be expected from a young player but he is coming into his 4th season now and is ready to step up. Encouragingly he performed impressively in the first time trial, which will hopefully stand him in good stead for the year ahead. I'm tipping good progress from Braeden this year. 🤞

With Campbell somehow I think he plays in a role where you can't really take too much from raw stats like possessions, etc. He'll have his games where he'll stand out with 20+ disposals and then the next game he might only have 10 but still contributes well enough to play each week? Is Mattner a good comparison here? He was always someone that flucated in terms of raw stats, but was always reliable when we needed him. Campbell is heading that way.

With Campbell somehow I think he plays in a role where you can't really take too much from raw stats like possessions, etc. He'll have his games where he'll stand out with 20+ disposals and then the next game he might only have 10 but still contributes well enough to play each week? Is Mattner a good comparison here? He was always someone that flucated in terms of raw stats, but was always reliable when we needed him. Campbell is heading that way.

That's a good observation, I hope the coaches put him in positions where we can utilise his foot skills a bit more. We could say that about a few of our halfback/wingers. I wouldn't mind him in our fwd 50 either, playing a Haywardish role where he can work up to the wing & then back into our fwd 50. He has underrated athleticism imo. He recorded a significant PB in the time trial indicating improved endurance which will further allow coaches to explore his role options. I'm heavily buying stocks in the young man. He's my smokey for 'breakout' player of the year.

I think Campbell will be a 200 game player and have a good long career but I also don't think Campbell will ever be a top flight player at AFL level - by that, I mean an AA calibre player. I think that mainly because I don't see the overwhelming levels of confidence in himself that most top flight guys have (imo). I see a really consistent, professional, hard-working, team-oriented attitude. But from the time he arrived, I always felt like I could see such a difference between him and Gulden. And it's not his fault that he was drafted alongside Errol - but to be fair he was drafted way higher. For me, I see an unwavering sense of confidence in Errol that I don't see in Campbell. They've both got exquisite left boots on them but I just reckon Campbell won't quite rise to the top flight level because it feels like he needs to be told how good he is for him to believe it, whilst I can't imagine that Errol needs anyone pumping him up. He could develop those levels of confidence over time and I hope he does, but for me, I reckon he'll always be a good-very good player and not an excellent player. Just my observations from a distance, make of it what you will.

When drafted Campbell was described as a low possession high impact type player. As he's gotten more of the ball you can really see the impact he can make on the ground.

Raw stats definitely don't paint the whole picture with him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Campbell will be a 200 game player and have a good long career but I also don't think Campbell will ever be a top flight player at AFL level - by that, I mean an AA calibre player. I think that mainly because I don't see the overwhelming levels of confidence in himself that most top flight guys have (imo). I see a really consistent, professional, hard-working, team-oriented attitude. But from the time he arrived, I always felt like I could see such a difference between him and Gulden. And it's not his fault that he was drafted alongside Errol - but to be fair he was drafted way higher. For me, I see an unwavering sense of confidence in Errol that I don't see in Campbell. They've both got exquisite left boots on them but I just reckon Campbell won't quite rise to the top flight level because it feels like he needs to be told how good he is for him to believe it, whilst I can't imagine that Errol needs anyone pumping him up. He could develop those levels of confidence over time and I hope he does, but for me, I reckon he'll always be a good-very good player and not an excellent player. Just my observations from a distance, make of it what you will.
I'm completely okay with that. You realistically couldn't have AA players on every line since salary cap says we'd end up seeing players squeezed out - whether Campbell would be one or not. He's developing nicely into a great role player, and best bit is he is a local NSW lad as well. :thumbsu: Happy to keep him around rather than lose him to elsewhere and then try to replace him with a 28 year old journeyman or a delisted player.

I like Campbell and think he's had a solid start to the year. I thought he was very good in the first game but very quiet in the second, to the point I forgot he was playing.

I want him in the team but with cavalry returning and spots tight, his isn't assured IMO, so he needs to do more. I think he's got it in him but he's gotta deliver.

Today was quite a good game, is this him? like half back ish sometimes wing 15-17 touches player?

Will we eventually see another level and full time wing? I love when he has the ball but feel like I often don't know he is out there is all.

Solid player and if he is what he is that's good. But pick 4, can he elevate to be a top 50 player?

17 disposals today at 100% is pretty good when you consider how bad some of his team mates were butchering the ball.

At 22 you'd think his best is still a couple of years away so I've still got high hopes for Campbell.

Absolutely, thats I guess where I think can we get him more involved, he is effective when he is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back