Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

FefVqZPB.jpg

Braeden Campbell
[Player Profile TBA]
Pick 5

I think Campbell this year. Both have excelled but we saw a lot from Gulden last year, the increase in capability has been bigger for Campbell

Besides Errol will win everything else.

He really had a great year. So pleased with the way he played tonight, cracked in and kept going all night. Really excited about how good he could with a couple more seasons under his belt as he's already a very good player.

Interesting tonight he basically played half back when you look at his heat map. Only a couple of times forward of centre. Guess we played 8 defenders.

Interesting tonight he basically played half back when you look at his heat map. Only a couple of times forward of centre. Guess we played 8 defenders.
I'm hopeful he'll eventually go into the middle but right now down back seems to be where he's utilised best. He's pretty hard in the contest, has decent awareness and his long kicking is an asset. I'd love to see him kicking inside 50 more but he lacks the pace to push out a McInerny or Gulden in that role I think.

I'm hoping we see him utilised more on the wing next year. I think we lack enough good kickers & decision makers in our forward half, he would help address that issue. A wing rotation of Juzzy/Campbell/Gulden would be great. All great ball users, scoreboard threats & work hard both ways.

I think Campbell's pace is very good. Maybe he doesn't yet have Juzzy's tank but he can really motor when he wants to make a contest. Playing on a wing I'd trust him more than Juzzy in defence. While going forward Campbell can cause absolute havoc with his kicks inside 50 or drill an effortless goal from 60-70m off a single step.

Campbell was an early draft pick for a good reason. We might have been wrong about Stephens (though he did show flashes and may yet come good at Norf) but we're rarely wrong with our Academy picks. We probably know more about some of them than their own families do.

I wondered about Campbell last year but evidentally (and statistically) his 2023 was a huge improvement as his 2022. His average stats per game in 2023 vs. 2022 were almost twice as good. A comparison of stats at the same age suggest he's better than Blakey at 21 but still behind Warner at 21.

Add another preseason, Mills continuing to mentor him and his sheer determination to keep up with his best mate Gulden, plus a lot more confidence and, mark my words. Campbell is going to be one very good player for us.

I think Campbell's pace is very good. Maybe he doesn't yet have Juzzy's tank but he can really motor when he wants to make a contest. Playing on a wing I'd trust him more than Juzzy in defence. While going forward Campbell can cause absolute havoc with his kicks inside 50 or drill an effortless goal from 60-70m off a single step.

Campbell was an early draft pick for a good reason. We might have been wrong about Stephens (though he did show flashes and may yet come good at Norf) but we're rarely wrong with our Academy picks. We probably know more about some of them than their own families do.

I wondered about Campbell last year but evidentally (and statistically) his 2023 was a huge improvement as his 2022. His average stats per game in 2023 vs. 2022 were almost twice as good. A comparison of stats at the same age suggest he's better than Blakey at 21 but still behind Warner at 21.

Add another preseason, Mills continuing to mentor him and his sheer determination to keep up with his best mate Gulden, plus a lot more confidence and, mark my words. Campbell is going to be one very good player for us.

Campbell did improve a lot from 2022 to 2023 and I would love it if he had a similar improvement in 2024. If he can start to average over 20 disposals per game that would be wonderful.

Also Campbell, as good as a kick as he is needs to be a tiny bit more cautious when kicking, go for the kicks he is pretty sure he can do rather than the kicks that almost no one can do. I still want him to be attacking when kicking, that is great, but a bit more measured, though I hope that is not too contradictory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Campbell did improve a lot from 2022 to 2023 and I would love it if he had a similar improvement in 2024. If he can start to average over 20 disposals per game that would be wonderful.

Also Campbell, as good as a kick as he is needs to be a tiny bit more cautious when kicking, go for the kicks he is pretty sure he can do rather than the kicks that almost no one can do. I still want him to be attacking when kicking, that is great, but a bit more measured, though I hope that is not too contradictory.
I like that he has free reign to do with his kicking as he wants.. He's young and working out what's best regarding his kicking is part of his development. Let him go for it and he'll work it out, and in the meantime be very entertaining.
Apart from his kicking the thing that is hugely impressive is his speed off the mark and his speed to the ground ball. Campbell attacks the ground quicker than anyone else Ive noticed in the AFL! Two years ago he would get the ground ball, and very quickly dispose of it, unfortunately often it would go straight to the opposition. Last season, with more composure, he was disposing it to a team mate.

Yep, if he averages 20 disposals (which I reckon he can) He will win games for us..
Campbell will be a gun!

i'm on that bandwagon
i think he's one of several real stars developing in our side
I hope so. There's fierce competition in that area with Errol, Juzzy and now JJ replacing Dylan. All AFL standard and at most three spots. Of course one might move to another role but we should expect one heck of a preseason!

I hope so. There's fierce competition in that area with Errol, Juzzy and now JJ replacing Dylan. All AFL standard and at most three spots. Of course one might move to another role but we should expect one heck of a preseason!

competition, and not just "depth" ... depth is fine, but a premiership side demands that competition among players for places in the senior team ...
throw in sheldrick, he'll be right in among the best of them
we have a lot of young, developing but very talented players

he's a goal threat anywhere within 50m or so, apart from anything else ...
and certainly that means he becomes a key in attack, scoring or setting up, whatever position he's playing
The group I mentioned, plus Warner, Blakey, Florent and Sheldrick (if playing) are all able to deliver very effectively inside 50 on a nice trajectory to advantage. If the big 3 plus the smaller 4 have their sticky fingers on we could get to see some very exciting stuff.
Don't know about Adams but Mills OK when he returns too.
That's why in my mind I wasn't unhappy with Stephens leaving. He couldn't do that, even after 4 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back