Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d have to disagree on that particular point.

We were consistently belted in clearances early in the season (and when we did get the pill we were incredibly Buddy centric - the other glaring issue I found myself frustrated with as the losses mounted).

Gus didn’t win the Swans rising star award for nothing - I genuinely thought he improved our midfield when he came in, which is not something you’d necessarily expect of a 19 year old. The only caveat - his best games were against dud sides.

Parker is a club great and never lets us down. But post JPK he can’t carry the grunt stuff alone, particularly with no Mills. Rowy works incredibly hard, but has his limitations.

Errol will be a great player for a long time, Chad teases that he could be great (although the jury remains out) ….. personally, I see Campbell and Gus as next in the production line - I believe both could become stars.

chad will be a great player, but you're right about campbell and sheldrick

Rowbottom looks thrilled. 😂
Is he the one that goes out with Sheldrick coming up and [PLAYERCARD]Taylor Adams having arrived? 🤔
Or is Parker's decline a thing, and not as I suspected injury related...
Rowbottom's been in my 'first picked' the last two years, though he doesn't get to do the flash stuff, he works like an ox.
Would be embarrassing for our recruiters if Adams isn't regularly making the team - so got to figure he'll be given every chance to cement a spot early part of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowbottom looks thrilled. 😂
Is he the one that goes out with Sheldrick coming up and Taylor Adams having arrived? 🤔
Or is Parker's decline a thing, and not as I suspected injury related...
Rowbottom's been in my 'first picked' the last two years, though he doesn't get to do the flash stuff, he works like an ox.
Would be embarrassing for our recruiters if Adams isn't regularly making the team - so got to figure he'll be given every chance to cement a spot early part of the season.

There will be plenty of opportunity for everyone that is good enough.

It's probably because many of us see him as a missing piece of the puzzle. A ball winner who can help our clearance issues. If Sheldrick maintains the trajectory we've seen in just nine games, and Grundy can break even, Swans will be a more consistent team.
I think Grundy will more than break even. He is a 2 time AA & 4 times in the squad. NO mean feat. Up until he had 3 injury interrupted seasons & disagreements with the coach in 2020-22 he was equal to Max Gawn as the best ruckman in the AFL. For some unknown reason Nathan Buckley did not want to play him, preferring Cox, even though Grundy made Cox look like the amateur he was at the time

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jon Ralph article on Rising Star https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...ws-story/6fb2b38e25bb100a40535d003ed765c3?amp

ANGUS SHELDRICK​

ODDS: $18​

Nathan Buckley has already labelled 20-year-old onballer Sheldrick as a smoky despite only nine games in his first two years, saying he could be a gun of the competition in three or four years. He can certainly find the pill - 21 touches last year against Geelong, 29 against West Coast, 19 against St Kilda and Brisbane. The issue from a Rising Star perspective is whether he gets enough midfield time and is flashy enough given the little left-footer had 53 kicks and 62 handballs last year as a handball first player. Sydney players believe the answer to both questions is a resounding yes.

For those old enough to remember The Price Is Right….

Following the Parker injury, I can just imagine hearing “Angus Sheldrick, COME ON DOWN!”

Now I can see Tommy Hanlon Jnr pointing at Gus. Did he just say, “IT COULD BE YOU”?

For those of us a little older:
"The Money or the Box?".
KC, I reckon you’d still recall Ugly Dave Gray & Blankety Blanks?

Never been bettered.

Post script: this is the Gus Sheldrick thread, so I’d better make this post on-topic.

Did you know Gus Sheldrick is NOT related to Ugly Dave Gray?

KC, I reckon you’d still recall Ugly Dave Gray & Blankety Blanks?

Never been bettered.

Post script: this is the Gus Sheldrick thread, so I’d better make this post on-topic.

Did you know Gus Sheldrick is NOT related to Ugly Dave Gray?
I'm BBB!
I would never wish any of our players ill but Parkie's misfortune will most likely give Gus a 6-10 game run in his favoured position. Jordon will probably also get more inside time as well.
We'll get a preview Thursday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back