Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

sort of ... most clubs are still operating, but there are families living in them
it has been done very fairly ... the families are not charged a cover fee and they get the run of the place when the clubs aren't open, mondays to wednesdays ...
I bid $3.4 million for that living arrangement.

I think Sheldrick will be good enough to push Parker to the bench/ forward line this year.
Though tbf my judgement is based on a banged up Parker over the second half of last season, if he's fit and healthy likely be impossible to budge. Anyways on his games last season Gus has to be in the team if he's back to pre injury condition.

I don't know if it'll be good or bad if our team is relying on Sheldrick next year. I'm hoping he can continue his positive development & play his role when the opportunity arises.
I don't think we are relying on Sheldrick. He is just, if he manages to make the side, an upside to an evolving and improving side. If he manages to push out an existing mid then we have that existing mid as depth. That is huge. There is competition for spots and the game is on.

Number 12 is a huge endorsement from the club. I haven't been this excited about competition for spots in the team for a very long time. We genuinely have 24-25 best 22 players on our list now and I'll be disappointed for whoever misses out week by week but I'd bet Gus won't be the one to miss unless injury strikes. Looking forward to seeing the number 12 running around again.

I am totally on board with the Gus hype and I ******* love his new number!

But that doesn't mean I think Gus is or necessarily will be a 'superstar'. It means I think he will be a fantastic stalwart player who will give years of good service to the club. I actually don't think he has the highest ceiling - but I think his floor tells us that he is real quality and I can't wait to enjoy him winning the ball for us for a decade to come (inshallah). They are not quite the same type of player but I felt similarly about Hewett - super solid reliable, know what you're going to get and it's going to be good - except Hewett was a little bit more dour and Gus is a bit fresher and easier to get excited about.

I am totally on board with the Gus hype and I ******* love his new number!

But that doesn't mean I think Gus is or necessarily will be a 'superstar'. It means I think he will be a fantastic stalwart player who will give years of good service to the club. I actually don't think he has the highest ceiling - but I think his floor tells us that he is real quality and I can't wait to enjoy him winning the ball for us for a decade to come (inshallah). They are not quite the same type of player but I felt similarly about Hewett - super solid reliable, know what you're going to get and it's going to be good - except Hewett was a little bit more dour and Gus is a bit fresher and easier to get excited about.
Only risk - I’m advised he’s rather infatuated with his (Perth) girlfriend.

West Coast & Freo will doubtless spy opportunity.

Only risk - I’m advised he’s rather infatuated with his (Perth) girlfriend.

West Coast & Freo will doubtless spy opportunity.

hopefully he's also infatuated with the swans
and over xmess, during their time together he can explain: "look, darl, i love you and we can be together long into the future, just gimme 10 years or so over here, several sydney premierships and a few multi-million-dollar contracts and i'm yours, and we can build a future for our many kids with my plentiful hard-earned swans coin"
(ok, he might not use the term "darl")

hopefully he's also infatuated with the swans
and over xmess, during their time together he can explain: "look, darl, i love you and we can be together long into the future, just gimme 10 years or so over here, several sydney premierships and a few multi-million-dollar contracts and i'm yours, and we can build a future for our many kids with my plentiful hard-earned swans coin"
(ok, he might not use the term "darl")
"pet"

Yes! That'll work. As soon as he calls her pet, she's destined to freak out and go running back to Perth.
Gus stays and wins his rising star this year and many premierships and brownlows after that - all In Red and White.
Not so sure about that.

Go to any Perth pub & you'll hear a cacophony of "pet", "love", "babes", "ya skank" and "biaaaaatch".

Normally accompanied by a drunk caesar88 performing the Elaine Dance on the bar.

Not so sure about that.

Go to any Perth pub & you'll hear a cacophony of "pet", "love", "babes", "ya skank" and "biaaaaatch".

Normally accompanied by a drunk caesar88 performing the Elaine Dance on the bar.

To be fair, this is the natural progression of foreplay as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TLDR, what’s the go with all the hype on Gus ? Bloke’s got more wraps on him than Tutankhamen. Really hope he comes on but the expectations on the poor guy are at fever pitch.
If he finished higher in the time trial then I’m on the Gus train at full steam, cos you know, ILFP.

TLDR, what’s the go with all the hype on Gus ? Bloke’s got more wraps on him than Tutankhamen. Really hope he comes on but the expectations on the poor guy are at fever pitch.
If he finished higher in the time trial then I’m on the Gus train at full steam, cos you know, ILFP.
I don't disagree with the gist of this (my head is still barely hanging by a tendon after the last few pages)

However the time trial doesn't have much to do with speed. It's more to do with endurance. Plenty of players are lethal off their first few steps or a sprint but can't sustain it long-distance, and vice versa. Time trials are for the guys who can run all day.

Ps. You would've loved Brady Rowles #JusticeForBradyRowles

Can we therefore assume, JHWF, that you like all of the known top 9 finishers in the time trial?

What about players like Florent, Hayward, Papley, Blakey who are quick but didn't finish in the top 9?

And is the inverse proposition also true - do you dislike slow players?

Yeah, its a bit odd.

All seems to have started pre-draft. No idea why.

Can we therefore assume, JHWF, that you like all of the known top 9 finishers in the time trial?

What about players like Florent, Hayward, Papley, Blakey who are quick but didn't finish in the top 9?

And is the inverse proposition also true - do you dislike slow players?
Now this is quite the conundrum. Young Jack in his day ran a 1:50sec 800m, that is fast, very fast. But true true that is not 0-60m speed. I like all fast players whether it be over 60m or 800m. I particularly like fast players that run and bounce through the MCG corridor. Do I dislike slow players ? Only when they give up the chase, McLean ain’t the fastest but if he chases his backside off he’s fine by me. JPK is the exception of course, slow but a beast - if he played NRL as a kid would have had 5 kids hanging off him as he meanders through for a try.

Now onto Liz and Paps, I would say I don’t like them, I love them! Ollie’s expectations were set too high, I read somewhere he was touted for 5 brownlows ? And Hayward - hmmm find myself screaming at the tv a lot with this kid then he pops up with great marks - jury still out, is he a potential whipping boy next year ?

I don't disagree with the gist of this (my head is still barely hanging by a tendon after the last few pages)

However the time trial doesn't have much to do with speed. It's more to do with endurance. Plenty of players are lethal off their first few steps or a sprint but can't sustain it long-distance, and vice versa. Time trials are for the guys who can run all day.

Ps. You would've loved Brady Rowles #JusticeForBradyRowles
Very good point re Brady C88 - can I call you that or is it Mr Caesar - don’t want to offend.

How can you not love Brady with a sub 3 sec 20m, my boy Jack would get him from 100m up though. Had high hopes that Juzzy would hit the dizzying speeds but he hasn’t been right since injury and I reckon Ed Langdon would have him covered.

Very good point re Brady C88 - can I call you that or is it Mr Caesar - don’t want to offend.

How can you not love Brady with a sub 3 sec 20m, my boy Jack would get him from 100m up though. Had high hopes that Juzzy would hit the dizzying speeds but he hasn’t been right since injury and I reckon Ed Langdon would have him covered.
It is commonplace in Roman society to address me as Imperator Caesar, or simply Imperator. However I will also settle for a term originating from my native tongue - "mate."

Or you can just go with the many names bestowed upon me by my missus. "You dumb f***" gets a workout on a nearly daily basis.

Re Rowles, I remember watching a reserves game where he was going so fast his legs were doing that blurry circular thing I thought only happened in animated cartoons.

Now this is quite the conundrum. Young Jack in his day ran a 1:50sec 800m, that is fast, very fast. But true true that is not 0-60m speed. I like all fast players whether it be over 60m or 800m. I particularly like fast players that run and bounce through the MCG corridor. Do I dislike slow players ? Only when they give up the chase, McLean ain’t the fastest but if he chases his backside off he’s fine by me. JPK is the exception of course, slow but a beast - if he played NRL as a kid would have had 5 kids hanging off him as he meanders through for a try.

Now onto Liz and Paps, I would say I don’t like them, I love them! Ollie’s expectations were set too high, I read somewhere he was touted for 5 brownlows ? And Hayward - hmmm find myself screaming at the tv a lot with this kid then he pops up with great marks - jury still out, is he a potential whipping boy next year ?
Did you like Dean Towers? Now his pace left his mind behind. He was so fast he got himself into positions before he even knew what to do with the ball. Truly and excitement machine.

Number 12 is a huge endorsement from the club. I haven't been this excited about competition for spots in the team for a very long time. We genuinely have 24-25 best 22 players on our list now and I'll be disappointed for whoever misses out week by week but I'd bet Gus won't be the one to miss unless injury strikes. Looking forward to seeing the number 12 running around again.
In fact, I'd suggest we even have 27-28 best 22 in this year's squad. Good times ahead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back