Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we please keep Angus out of all preseason games from here on?
Also no wrestling and take down all the chain fences at Moore Park.
Asking for my Supercoach team as well as the Swans retaining an actual midfield before the comp starts.
Guy is an absolute monty to average 100+ now and be the perfect mid for SC.

KC, I reckon you’d still recall Ugly Dave Gray & Blankety Blanks?

Never been bettered.

Post script: this is the Gus Sheldrick thread, so I’d better make this post on-topic.

Did you know Gus Sheldrick is NOT related to Ugly Dave Gray?

oh geez ... i remember ... awful, cheesy, cringeworthy show ... from what little i can tell, it's still a model for breakfast tv and particularly morning radio
... and hopefully angus sheldrick has never heard of it

From the AFL.com article re Parker & Adams' injuries, which is linked in the Media thread. Horse's words:

"I thought last year he was going really well until he got injured and then he has come in this pre-season and had a little bit of a hip flexor injury over Christmas which set him back a little bit, but then he has got going and been building," Longmire said. "His last month has been good. He is still learning. We know he can get the ball – he is terrific at that – that is a strength and he is genuinely hard, so he is going to be a player for us moving forward."

Hopefully disproves the theory that Horse doesn't rate Sheldrick. He very clearly does, he just rates our other mids too. Looking forward to (surely) seeing Sheldrick in action this week.

From the AFL.com article re Parker & Adams' injuries, which is linked in the Media thread. Horse's words:

"I thought last year he was going really well until he got injured and then he has come in this pre-season and had a little bit of a hip flexor injury over Christmas which set him back a little bit, but then he has got going and been building," Longmire said. "His last month has been good. He is still learning. We know he can get the ball – he is terrific at that – that is a strength and he is genuinely hard, so he is going to be a player for us moving forward."

Hopefully disproves the theory that Horse doesn't rate Sheldrick. He very clearly does, he just rates our other mids too. Looking forward to (surely) seeing Sheldrick in action this week.
It sounds like they want him to work on other stuff which is fair enough for a young player.

It sounds like they want him to work on other stuff which is fair enough for a young player.

I hope there are things that every player on the list is working on from Cleary to Sir Dane.

I hope there are things that every player on the list is working on from Cleary to Sir Dane.
He was taking a How To Be A Less Perfect Footballer course over the summer, but deferred. He was failing all his units.

For me it is a touch reminiscent of Tom Mitchell, a not dissimilar player. Except Gus radiates team ethos a bit more than Tom did, for mine. And hopefully we will have learned something since then too and can have a better outcome with a really talented player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me it is a touch reminiscent of Tom Mitchell, a not dissimilar player. Except Gus radiates team ethos a bit more than Tom did, for mine. And hopefully we will have learned something since then too and can have a better outcome with a really talented player.
The team is a bit different now to how it was back then.

Our established onball group then included JPK, Hanners, Parker and Jack. All were decent at winning first possession (or better than decent in JPK's case) but, aside from Jack, lacked the raw pace to run their way out of traffic. Winning contested ball was less of a challenge than moving the ball to the outside (though we weren't too bad at that either, given we were highly competitive at the time). Mitchell was more of the same (and wasn't as fit as he needed to be with his injury history).

At the moment we are light on for players who can win that first possession at the coal face but have players good at being the link from the inside to the outside (as well as players who can use it well on the outside). As a first possession winner, Sheldrick shapes as someone who can improve our main deficiency in a way that Mitchell didn't for the team we had then.

However, Sheldrick, too, hasn't had a great run with injury and his endurance is still short of where it needs to be for him to be a consistent, high level contributor. So it comes down to whether Sheldrick can sufficiently contribute to our first-possession-winning-woes given his current limitations in fitness (and experience, though he can't overcome the experience limitation without opportunities to get more experience).

Imo we've put an emphasis on contest to contest work, hence Heeney in the mids to utilise his elite gut running & power. I feel like the coaches are still unsure whether sheldrick has capability to do a contest to contest role but we're going to find out in the next month. Imo he's a lock in our mids for the first 2 games.

We've lost 3 pure inside mids (mills, parker, adams). Sheldrick is a pure inside mid & we can't rely on rowbottom to be our sole pure inside mid. I don't think the coaches have any other options apart from playing Sheldick in our midfield.

Shocked Angus is not playing...what's going on?
With Mills, Parker and Adams all missing and he STILL can't get a game?
He'll be back home to Perth unless that changes fast.

I really rate Sheldrick, but there will be a big logjam for him to overcome to get back into the team, with Parker, Adams and Mills all yet to return.

Good thing he is tied up with us until 2025. Gives more time for him to have his chance.

I imagine though that if he is not selected by halfway through this year, he will have more than a few clubs sounding him out for 2026.

I really rate Sheldrick, but there will be a big logjam for him to overcome to get back into the team, with Parker, Adams and Mills all yet to return.

Good thing he is tied up with us until 2025. Gives more time for him to have his chance.

I imagine though that if he is not selected by halfway through this year, he will have more than a few clubs sounding him out for 2026.
Yeah even Adams will be in the 2s for a bit I think. I reckon Parker will probably be back before we see Adams.

Ive never met anyone called Angus.
I must confess, I’m surprised Gus Sheldrick isn’t no.2 on this list:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back