Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

Well you just need to skim read this thread to see how much toxic criticism he's receiving and why he would be so deflated. As a supporter base, we really are a bunch of campaigners.
Just say the names and call them out then.

The senior group have ultimately pulled back the progress being made by younger players. I don't care how much criticism comes at our co-captains especially because they are part of the problem. Take responsibility. They are all a joke. Not good enough.

We start him in the middle and give him a chance to walk the walk.
100%. Tagging or getting as many clearances as possible. Grubber kicks into F50 are acceptable. Better even than long bombs to a double-teamed Larkey.

Not impacting games at all in the back pocket. Got to move him onto the ball as leaving him where he is isn't working. Bring in Arch to replace him. Give him 2 or 3 in the middle and see how it goes.

100%. Tagging or getting as many clearances as possible. Grubber kicks into F50 are acceptable. Better even than long bombs to a double-teamed Larkey.

Not impacting games at all in the back pocket. Got to move him onto the ball as leaving him where he is isn't working. Bring in Arch to replace him. Give him 2 or 3 in the middle and see how it goes.

Yeah, probably last chance saloon for Luke so worth trying. But is he fit enough? Always looks to be labouring.

Luke apparently loves the club. The single greatest thing he do for the club, if he loves it so much is on Monday, call a press conference and due to "his body" he is retiring from the game immediately. Thus opening up another list spot.
I remember when we were winning ugly under Laidley and Scott when people on this forum said they'd rather lose by 10 goals every week than watch those ugly wins. Obviously, that was bullshit at the time and what we see now is evidence of that.

Getting back to your point, the entire football world can see that we are getting beaten up around the ball because we are playing so much under-developed youth. If McDonald was forced into retirement and if we never played Corr again and replaced them both with debutants, as many on here suggest, would you be fine with our losses for the rest of the year ballooning out to 100+ points every week?

Came 5th in our time trial behind Simpkin, Stephens, Shiels and Tucker. He's got the tank.

Side note: not one of our current first choice on ballers made the top 10.

The bloke is knackered trying to run through the banner. Has nearly 200 games of experience and still trails his opponents a la Jack Mahony. His 1st 2 kicks yesterday were a little dolly up to Hardeman iirc, that did him absolutely no favours, followed up by an oof 30 seconds later. Has become a dire footballer .... even more infuriating than his dad, imo. Imo.

I remember when we were winning ugly under Laidley and Scott when people on this forum said they'd rather lose by 10 goals every week than watch those ugly wins. Obviously, that was bullshit at the time and what we see now is evidence of that.

Getting back to your point, the entire football world can see that we are getting beaten up around the ball because we are playing so much under-developed youth. If McDonald was forced into retirement and if we never played Corr again and replaced them both with debutants, as many on here suggest, would you be fine with our losses for the rest of the year ballooning out to 100+ points every week?
Got news for you. Corr and LMac are not making much of a difference on the scoreboard.
In fact, I recall a commentator saying yesterday, "Luke won't want to see that replay again ". And that was to describe his effort yesterday.

BUT I agree, you can't just keep playing kids.

My hope is that with Logue and K Dawson and Combden. We have a better defence...

And Corr and LMac can p1ss off to the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Luke on the ball idea has real merit. Play to his strengths, the reset, which as far i tell is also his number one metric. Picture it, Luke grabs ball, tucks under arm, goes to ground.. Reset! Over and over and over and over and over and over and over. This is knowing what your squad can do, and maximising it. Masterstroke. If it plays out as good as we can hope, contract extension and a couple of the kids getting a bit of Luke into them.

Not sure how Luke is in the team or Co captain. The turnover King was a dud from day one. With his late exit last year we saw what Dawson is capable of.
If memory serves me correctly....his first stat in his debut game was a kick that went straight to Paul Chapman who then kicked the goal.

I thought 'oh well bad luck' at the time but never believed it would be a sign of things to come.

I think the Luke on the ball idea has real merit. Play to his strengths, the reset, which as far i tell is also his number one metric. Picture it, Luke grabs ball, tucks under arm, goes to ground.. Reset! Over and over and over and over and over and over and over. This is knowing what your squad can do, and maximising it. Masterstroke. If it plays out as good as we can hope, contract extension and a couple of the kids getting a bit of Luke into them.

Look, it drives me crazy too (I think he learned it from Kayne Turner, who was doing it three seasons ago), but if he was to do it once or twice a quarter and prevent the opposition from waltzing it out of the middle, it would be a positive, I suppose.

For sure, I gave it a couple more seconds thought and.. there is clear method here. They say the true secret to mastery is itteration. You do it, and then again, then again, then again. If Luke can get our stoppages up to something like record numbers, every week, can you say Fast Track!?! The kids would be getting soo many chances to set up it'd be almost as good as having a simulator next to the xbox's.

North = Innovators

Make is happen Euge Jen whoever's left.

For sure, I gave it a couple more seconds thought and.. there is clear method here. They say the true secret to mastery is itteration. You do it, and then again, then again, then again. If Luke can get our stoppages up to something like record numbers, every week, can you say Fast Track!?! The kids would be getting soo many chances to set up it'd be almost as good as having a simulator next to the xbox's.

North = Innovators

Make is happen Euge Jen whoever's left.

I think we all got the joke the first time.

Not at all. Initially I was thinking how the move could help just Luke, and I guess by extensiom the club a little. Its good if the Cap't gets to promote what they're all about. But now my silly eyes are wide. Luke might look a little bad in the eye of public plebs, but he wont mind he bleeds blue and white and the kpi is high. This could be good for the list. I'm imagining the reviews in front of the little screens, and the line coaches rubbing their hands together at all the footage. Even better for us punters, can we all get a litle excited about the length of Rick's awesome breakdowns. It's not about wins atm, its itterations. Luke is the cap't we need. Chuck him in there its got my vote.

Not at all. Initially I was thinking how the move could help just Luke, and I guess by extensiom the club a little. Its good if the Cap't gets to promote what they're all about. But now my silly eyes are wide. Luke might look a little bad in the eye of public plebs, but he wont mind he bleeds blue and white and the kpi is high. This could be good for the list. I'm imagining the reviews in front of the little screens, and the line coaches rubbing their hands together at all the footage. Even better for us punters, can we all get a litle excited about the length of Rick's awesome breakdowns. It's not about wins atm, its itterations. Luke is the cap't we need. Chuck him in there its got my vote.
No Way What GIF by Hill's Pet Nutrition

No Way Cat GIF by Hill's Pet Nutrition

Luke apparently loves the club. The single greatest thing he do for the club, if he loves it so much is on Monday, call a press conference and due to "his body" he is retiring from the game immediately. Thus opening up another list spot.
Won't happen however l would like him to relinquish the captaincy and offer to play in the vfl giving another younger player a chance ...If l had a cnoice between him and Stephens atm l would definately pick Luke..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back