Player Watch #10: Shane Edwards - Retiring at Seasons end

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm gonna leave my tribute until after finals, there's still another chapter left in the Shedda Magic book yet.

Been steadily nursing himself to September, look out when he fully takes the handbrake off. ;)

7404f1f76572b5dc1f63cb77a887311e

06MeRi21DB2639.JPG

c8ee61bf3e91d0c1a2afd93d3051657c.jpg

bd42a9ddd19d6498b8e8090262c39831

4cbc18262316eb98ee150313ca79dd93

What typifies Titch for me was the 2017 GF, a few times early the ball bouncing off Richmond chests with me yelling at the TV "send them a ******* telegram Titch, -the handball is coming-"

His hands and brain were just too quick for mere mortals at times.

In the end he was rightly celebrated by the competition for his elite skills, but it took a long time (and slow motion TV) to see his brilliance.

To those who think Dimma lost the players over the covid period. Our retirees can’t even look him in the face without breaking down.
The media won’t acknowledge this the pricks

To those who think Dimma lost the players over the covid period. Our retirees can’t even look him in the face without breaking down.
You can tell dimma loves the boys like family , no surprises he’s ready to rip someone’s head off if they wrong these lads

We all knew it was coming.. To me Shane Edwards leaves as our greatest indigenous player.

the light frame
the longevity
the connector
the versatility
the handball
the footy IQ
the legacy

Last edited:
We all knew it was coming.. To me Shane Edwards leaves as our greatest indigenous player.

the light frame
the longevity
the connector
the versatility
The legacy

Walked into the club with a handful of indigenous players at the time, under his leadership our indigenous boys have thrived

Titch was such a gun and underrated for pretty much all his career, admittedly even by me until 2017.

Deserving to be labelled as Richmond’s best ever indigenous player imo.

Hope his next chapter gives as much to him personally as he gave to Richmond.

An incredible player who was underrated for a long time. Some of his brilliance goes unnoticed in tight spaces because of how fast he is. Will miss him.

Thanks for everything Shedda :thumbsu:
still underated by some. the way slobbo and wankley glossed over a triple premiership player was disgusting...fn w***ers. love ya Shane. you were an out and out champion who should never have to pay for his own beers ever...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets respect the man and no longer call him Titch

From what i remember that was a Robert Walls thing and he hated being called Titch
bloke everyone on here thought he was called shaun until 2 years ago

I actually love his kick to Grigg in the 3rd qt of the Adelaide GF. It's just such a beautiful pinpoint kick and such a pivotal goal in that game!
What an absolute legend this guy has turned out to be for our club. All the best in retirement!
I just went back and watched it again. You're right -- it's precisely the sort of precise, decisive ball use that Shed's brought to the game.

It was bitter sweet to watch given the names that were so central to wining that flag but are now gone -- Grigg, Houli, Lambert, Edwards. Great memories!

My favourite player for a bloody long time... who am I going to choose next... at least I've got until next season to make a choice. :)

Absolutely loved Shedda's speed and I noticed it way before all my tiger family and mates did, hence why he became my favourite for those ridiculously fast hands in and out of traffic. Just sublime to watch back in slow motion.

Special gif request please k31th - I know it is amongst the other gif thread but the SHeds no look handball in the 3rd on Sunday to Lynch that led to Cotchin's goal - a gif of just that classic Edwards no-looker would be great...

loved editing that :) I'm sure I'll post many more in the coming days/weeks.

Sheddas best
That toe poke too Cadds.
Best bit of play I've ever seen

The toe poke to Caddy was great but the bump he gave a Port bloke on the goal line after Lambert kicked a grubber during the 2020 prelim is my favourite Edwards moment.

That toe poke to Caddy in the dreamtime game :eek:

I just went back and watched it again. You're right -- it's precisely the sort of precise, decisive ball use that Shed's brought to the game.

It was bitter sweet to watch given the names that were so central to wining that flag but are now gone -- Grigg, Houli, Lambert, Edwards. Great memories!

Astbury, Rance , Caddy , Ellis .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back