Player Watch #10: Shane Edwards - Retiring at Seasons end

Remove this Banner Ad

Have loved Titch all along - the skill, the decision making, the vision, the time he had on the ball. But funnily the thing I’ve most loved is that he was as hard as a cat’s head and would do the team blocks, shepherds, bumps and just crack in when it was required. The hit on DeBoer in the 2019 GF was seriously a thing of beauty. Perfectly executed. The goal square shepherd on Ollie Wines (I think it was) in a Prelim that just laid him out and left him gasping for air. Superb.

Ian Collins apparently said, “you don’t win a flag with 20 Quakers”, and Titch just did the rough stuff quietly and efficiently to assist a teammate and the team overall. Smart and cunning as all get out, and just knew what to do when required.

Will be sorely missed for so many reasons.

Last edited:
One of my favourite Edwards plays was in the 2020 GF …. late in the game he slides in, bumps out a Cats player and collects the ball on the 50m of Geelong’s HF line and fires off a handball to Graham before anyone knows what has happened .. Graham clears the ball. The commentator didn’t even mention Edwards name it was so quick.

I remember Terry Wallace once talking about Edwards and saying how you’d often hear the commentator talk about a Tiger player running away from a stoppage and kicking it forward to create a goal …. but they rarely mentioned who got the ball to the Tiger in space … it was almost always Edwards.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My favourite player for a bloody long time... who am I going to choose next... at least I've got until next season to make a choice. :)

Absolutely loved Shedda's speed and I noticed it way before all my tiger family and mates did, hence why he became my favourite for those ridiculously fast hands in and out of traffic. Just sublime to watch back in slow motion.

loved editing that :) I'm sure I'll post many more in the coming days/weeks.

Thanks Mate.You made my day.:)

Shedda was a magician, an entertainer and so versatile, could play half back, half forward, wing, inside/outside mid, leader, culture shaper, star.

Shedda was a magician, an entertainer and so versatile, could play half back, half forward, wing, inside/outside mid, leader, culture shaper, star.
Was and still is. One more September to weave his magic yet my friend. Eat em alive Shedda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my favourite Edwards plays was in the 2020 GF …. late in the game he slides in, bumps out a Cats player and collects the ball on the 50m of Geelong’s HF line and fires off a handball to Graham before anyone knows what has happened .. Graham clears the ball. The commentator didn’t even mention Edwards name it was so quick.

I remember Terry Wallace once talking about Edwards and saying how you’d often hear the commentator talk about a Tiger player running away from a stoppage and kicking it forward to create a goal …. but they rarely mentioned who got the ball to the Tiger in space … it was almost always Edwards.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
so true - under rated for this reason - his in close work was a thing of beauty

When you think back to when these guys were contracted and the amount of cap space we will have is going to be ridiculous

Caddy - $450k
Lambert - $500k
Edwards - $500k
Houli - $450k

Also the Contract reductions for both Riewoldt & Cotchin this year could open up another $500k
thats nearly $2.5mil off the cap before increases to Baker , Bolton , Rioli and a few others
Ehhh, for one they frontload/backload contracts now. So our older guys probably were pretty heavily frontloaded while we had money.

E.g Half-price Tiger: details revealed on Tom Lynch's backloaded deal
"The Lynch deal is about $920,000-$930,000 a year over the seven years, meaning there is a significant rise after the first years. He is expected to earn as much as $1.5 million in the final year of the deal."

Also they plan for contracts years ahead, so those guys would have been expected to be off the books around here so we've probably already used up a lot of that with the signings from the last few years.

Ehhh, for one they frontload/backload contracts now. So our older guys probably were pretty heavily frontloaded while we had money.

E.g Half-price Tiger: details revealed on Tom Lynch's backloaded deal
"The Lynch deal is about $920,000-$930,000 a year over the seven years, meaning there is a significant rise after the first years. He is expected to earn as much as $1.5 million in the final year of the deal."

Also they plan for contracts years ahead, so those guys would have been expected to be off the books around here so we've probably already used up a lot of that with the signings from the last few years.
Thats true but then you have the other side of the coin as well

unexpected departures like CCj , Chol , Astbury as well as rance in the past would have saved a fair bit and was not used on other signings apart from Tarrant.

The info you posted about Lynch contract is just a regurgitation of what was reported when he first signed and all other things accrued after
We have lost Brandon Ellis , Oleg Markov , Jack Higgins , Dan Butler , CCJ , Chol , Naish , Houli and all these players were no longer in their 1st deals so would have been upgraded dollars with no player coming back. I would be surprised if some of Lynch's or Dusty's money has not been modified or front loaded

Too many moving parts but i would say with so many players no longer on the books and replaced with new rookie players there would be ample room

Thats true but then you have the other side of the coin as well

unexpected departures like CCj , Chol , Astbury as well as rance in the past would have saved a fair bit and was not used on other signings apart from Tarrant.

The info you posted about Lynch contract is just a regurgitation of what was reported when he first signed and all other things accrued after
We have lost Brandon Ellis , Oleg Markov , Jack Higgins , Dan Butler , CCJ , Chol , Naish , Houli and all these players were no longer in their 1st deals so would have been upgraded dollars with no player coming back. I would be surprised if some of Lynch's or Dusty's money has not been modified or front loaded

Too many moving parts but i would say with so many players no longer on the books and replaced with new rookie players there would be ample room
Support for you finding the time to regurgitate this.
To the general panicked poster....
RFC are widely if not universally accepted as the best financially run club PERIOD.
There is no salary cap cliff to fall off and more importantly, NOONE running the club financials about to go boonta with the well run system.

The AFL have keen interest in fines for the RFC for any excuse because they are well aware that the club can afford to pay.

Last edited:
What a far ken legend!

Cheers to sheds for everything he’s given the club and us plebs in the crowd, hope he stays around the club in some capacity, seems a genuine top bloke and people like him and lambert would be worth keeping around for culture.

Never would’ve thought after his first few seasons that he’d be the absolute gun he’s been, a lot of unreal memories but one that springs to kind when I think of him……

That game he flicked the ball off the deck with his boot at top speed to caddy who banged it home from 50

What a far ken legend!

Cheers to sheds for everything he’s given the club and us plebs in the crowd, hope he stays around the club in some capacity, seems a genuine top bloke and people like him and lambert would be worth keeping around for culture.

Never would’ve thought after his first few seasons that he’d be the absolute gun he’s been, a lot of unreal memories but one that springs to kind when I think of him……

That game he flicked the ball off the deck with his boot at top speed to caddy who banged it home from 50

If his name was Cyril.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back