Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel Currie as a ruck prospect is one I really like. Has had those few years in the system and might be a bit of a Trent West in that he is a solid ruckman who can add some versatility around the ground and go forward and take a mark.

Saw him a couple of times this year and I don't really see it. He seemed more like a Blake than a West. He did take a couple of marks and goals but was usually just using his height while remaining stationary (NEAFL, remember) rather than any kind of leading or athleticism.

terrific read.

brave call on Elton. Whilst he probably deserves that spot he is one of the very few class talls and the shortage of them suggests to me may go higher.

Have now seen the Brewer footage and is a bit to work with but as you say pretty raw. Just getting onto a list would be a terrific result bc the AFL environment will do him the world of good I woudl think. Has a lot of the tools though.

Ps YOu dont appear to be a fan of the state league players as couldnt see many (from memory)

Elton certainly has the talent which means he could be an early selection still but frustrates because he hasn't put it together. Usually these high talent types I'm a fan of because it takes them that little bit longer anyway and eventually after season 4 or so they start to get it as we've seen with the likes of Reid, but at his height and with the role he feels most comfortable playing also have concerns for future position. Is he a career no.2 ruck? KPF? KPD? Just haven't seen him even look totally comfortable as a KPP.
Is worth a shot in the first round, 29 is certainly the low end and with limited high level KPPs he probably is the better of the possible talents, but I'm not convinced he will be as good as he sometimes threatens to be. My plan is at the end of the day to have him around pick 20 in my final draft. But perhaps we hear more closer to the draft, unsure his position is as clear as we all think.

Brewer will likely be more of a rookie if selected. Do like him as a rookie prospect though. Maybe doesn't use his body as well as Witts yet and isn't quite the same physical presence when presenting at the ball yet, but I like his potential for development. Good height, can translate his rugby body shape into something more suitable for AFL footy. Obviously not an athlete but think his body work with his strength in boundary throwins and centre bounces can be really good. Also don't mind what i've seen of him around the ground. Ball use ok for someone of his size and type and doesn't seem like a lazy player.

Typically I bring in some more state leaguers closer to the draft. Don't see allot going in the national draft, just probably not the same level talents as we've seen in recent years. Mohr I expect would have been the earlier of the potential mature agers along with Luke Brown who got traded by GWS.

Sundberg is one I'm very open to including in my national draft and only really took him out with a couple of different players moving into my draft order recently. Have followed + liked his VFL form throughout the year.
Did include: Lee Spurr, Nathan Blee, Sam Dwyer. Also Aaron Hall.
Then a number of those who are '92 born but won't go through them all.

Saw him a couple of times this year and I don't really see it. He seemed more like a Blake than a West. He did take a couple of marks and goals but was usually just using his height while remaining stationary (NEAFL, remember) rather than any kind of leading or athleticism.

My observations are going off limited games. But have been reasonably happy - even though it is a lower level of competition.

Some AFL rucks are similar. Jolly doesn't often jump at the ball and really stays on the ground and directs the taps to advantage.
Bolger in this years draft is also much the same.

Not suggesting Currie is a particularly great talent and I don't see him ever being a super high level ruckman, but he is one I see as a possible role player because he is that ruck height but can take a grab. Really see him as a less athletic version of Trent West, which for Collingwood I'd be happy with considering our options are Wood who can't play as a no.2 ruck and Keeffe who is untested in the ruck and probably not yet physically big enough.

Mark Blake is probably more of a ruck only type who offers even less around the ground. Probably not a fair comparison for Currie.

The Pies delisted John McCarthy today. Thoughts Knightmare?

With the Collingwood link at Melbourne at St Kilda, would he fit in with either club or is he just not up to scratch? I seem to remember people being fairly high on him through his early days in the VFL.

very good read Knightmare! just wondering if you had any footage of Fraser Mcciness as a lot of phantom drafts have Freo taking him with either pick 16 or 20??? sounds like a very good prospect and with his size and wight could possibly step straight in next year. thanks

*Word count wouldn't let me add a rookie draft so it's probably time for a new thread.

My top 60 power rankings (Excluded prelisted and zone selections):
------------------Potential A-Graders--------------------
1. Stephen Coniglio
2. Dom Tyson
3. Chad Wingard
4. Elliot Kavanagh
5. Tom Mitchell (Syd – F/S)
6. Jonathan Patton
7. Zyrus (Waylen) Manson
8. Jarrod Witts (Coll – NSW/ACT)
9. Brad McKenzie
10. Brandon Ellis
------------------Potentially high level AFL players--------------------
11. Sam Docherty
12. Sebastian Ross
13. Shane Kersten
14. Billy Longer
15. Hayden Crozier
16. Will Hoskin-Elliot
17. Todd Elton
18. Adam Tomlinson
19. Myles Bolger
20. Liam Sumner
21. Matthew Buntine
22. Josh Waldhuter
23. Taylor Adams
24. Toby Greene
25. Murray Newman
26. Haiden Schloithe
27. Ben Brown
28. Thomas Sheridan
29. Jimmy Webster
30. Lee Spurr
31. Sam Kerridge
32. Michael Talia
33. Sam Frost
34. Michael Bussey
35. Tom Downie
----------------Potential AFL Quality-----------------
36. Henry Schade
37. Jordan Lockyer
38. Mitchell Grigg
39. Daniel Markworth
40. Jye Bolton
41. Jackson Paine
42. Jackson Merrett
43. Kyal Horsley
44. Jack Crisp
45. Sam Dwyer
46. Nathan Blee
47. John McCarthy
48. Tom Sundberg
49. Marley Williams
50. Danny Butcher
51. Cameron Eardley
52. Alex Forster
53. Andrew Boseley
54. Jordan Kelly
55. Jack Newnes
56. Corey Gault
57. Daniel Currie
58. Dylan Buckley (Carl – F/S)
59. Jed Bews (Gee – F/S)
60. Justin Clarke

Minidraft:
#1 Gold Coast - Jaeger O’Meara (WA - Mid)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 23/02/1994
Recruited from: Perth Football Club
Style: Gary Ablett
Player comparison:
Range (2012): 1-2
Profile: Has absolutely elite speed – 2.80 of 20m. Endurance is incredibly high – 14+ beep test. Really looks like a sensational athlete already and has huge AFL potential. He makes good use of his speed and can take players on like few others and reminds you so much of a Judd or Ablett with the way he can go. Has that rare vision and awareness to go with it. Big time clearance player. Probably more outside than inside at this stage. Overhead marking good. Gets high tackling numbers. Decision making can be iffy at times, but improving. Can kick both feet incredibly well but could certainly work on consistent by foot and hit targets and finish more consistently, certainly not as polished as Whitfield yet but is well on his way but when his kicking is on can hit at will and kicks it like homing missiles which gives me confidence that this aspect of his game will improve and develop that consistency. Also would like to see him hit the scoreboard more. But everything he can do and already does suggests that he will go on to be a special player.
Why:

#2 Adelaide - Brad Crouch (VIC - Mid)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 12/01/1994
Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels
Style:
Player comparison: Luke Ball
Range (2012): 3-5
Profile: Really strong inside player. Could play AFL footy now. Very ready to go. Physically is ready. Has a complete game. Really hard worker and will never die wondering. Future captain material. Ball use very good and is good by both hand and foot. Speed good.
Why:

2011 Phantom Draft:
#1 GWS - Jonathon Patton (VIC - KPF)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 101kg, DOB: 20/05/1993
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Style: Jonathan Brown
Player comparison: Travis Cloke
Range: 1-2
Profile: Dominant KPF. Very much a confidence player. Doesn’t dominate because of size like a Tom Hawkins did at this level but because he marks so much stronger than everyone else which is why he stands out. Marks at the highest point which is what is important. Great contested mark and big enough to beat his man physically. Reads it well in the air. Strong on the lead. Doesn’t fumble. Can crash packs. Even at his size is a very solid athlete. Kicks goals. Has a nice long kick. Real competitor. One issue is consistency, has big games and other games doesn’t have the same impact, but that will come. Probably not as aggressive as he could be and doesn’t crash the packs and attack the ball as much as he probably could for someone of his size/type. The other issue that was worth noting from the champs was how he gets so close to the man on the mark when going for set shot goals, it’s not like he doesn’t have the penetration. Can play from season one, but like all key forwards will need those 3-4 years in the system to become dominant at the next level. No reason why his ability won’t transfer over to AFL level. Has the potential to be a real powerhouse up forward, but work is needed and not nearly there yet.
Why: Best key position forward in the draft. GWS have a loaded midfield already so expect them to add the key forward before all else.

#2 GWS - Stephen Coniglio (WA - Mid)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 15/12/1993
Recruited from: Swan Districts Football Club
Style: Chris Judd/Dane Swan
Player comparison:
Range: 1-2
Profile: Big clearance winner. Has great pace. Can go for those burst runs as many of the current great midfielders can but also has great endurance regularly making those 2nd and 3rd efforts, so there is allot to like about his running game which looks elite with his combination of speed and endurance. Has a very high skill level and by foot has great hurt factor. Very good decision maker. Good both inside and outside as a mid but plays mostly inside with short rests up forward. Can either be the ball winner or the receiver outside of packs bursting away. Can hit the scoreboard which is a big plus whether that be when playing up forward or through the midfield. Really nice finisher around goal. Can play in big games as he showed this in the 2010 WAFL grand final where he dominated alongside Andrew Krakouer which is another big tick. Has shown that he can lift his game when it is on the line to be won which is a great sign. Very good cricketer. There have been some concerns that there might be go home factor, but for mine Coniglio is too professional and will stick with GWS because long term he has a great opportunity for career success and many premierships.
Why: Is considered by many as the best mid in the draft or close to and is the only realistic rival to Patton for that no.1 spot, not that, that matters. Along with Patton lock him in as a certainty for GWS.

#3 GWS - Dom Tyson (VIC - Mid)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 08/06/1993
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style: Simon Black/Nick Dal Santo
Player comparison:
Range: 3-5
Profile: Real standout throughout the champs and has really risen up the rankings in a hurry. Really good genuine footballer who doesn’t stand out athletically, but can do it all. Can play inside/outside, has really improved his outside game this year, but I do view him as more of an inside mid long term. Left footer, but can use his right, and use it well when he needs to. Has a really high work rate and has great endurance. Has great vision. Skill level is good for an inside player and has all the footy smarts and decision making ability you could hope for. Big time ball accumulator who should have a fairly immediate impact at the next level through the midfield. Pace is average at best, but with the smart game he plays, I don’t think it will be an issue at the next level.
Why: Pretty much a foregone conclusion that Tyson will go top 3 with Patton and Coniglio.

#4 GWS - Matthew Buntine (VIC – Def/Mid)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 19/10/1993
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Style: Bryce Gibbs
Player comparison:
Range: 4-10
Profile: Real standout in this year’s draft who had a surprisingly poor u18 championships but was struggling with injury at the time, so that is forgivable. None the less is an absolute standout talent in this year’s draft. Can play down back or through the midfield well and has that really high skill level and ability to read the play. Reads the ball very well. Very good user of the footy. Can play against players of all sizes and can shut down opposition dangermen. Can play off his man and provide super rebound. Has no problem winning the hard ball. Not a high level athlete but his smarts more than compensate for this. Has that flexibility to play the role you need him to play.
Why: Gives GWS some added rebound from defence.

#5 GWS - Will Hoskin-Elliot (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 02/09/1993
Recruited from: Western Jets
Style:
Player comparison: Isaac Smith
Range: 4-10
Profile: Will is a super high hurt factor type outside mid who can also play forward. Real favourite of mine. Excitement machine. Can just take off, has great pace and will zoom past most players. Has a fantastic 55-60m kick on him and kicks well on both feet. Just always when he has ball in hand feels really dangerous. Very clean no matter the conditions, very one touch. Real x-factor who hurts you with every touch he gets. Can win some hard ball and isn’t a soft outside player. Lively tackler. Has a great leap on him! Very good overhead and reads the play well. Fantastic talent with allot to work with! Also worth mentioning is his endurance, broke the draft combine beep test record which is a terrific achievement showing that he has that endurance to go with his high level pace making him an even more attractive prospect! Inside ability is fairly limited and will always be an outsidish type, also doesn’t win as much of the ball as you’d like, maybe it is a footy IQ thing or not running to the right places, but with his elite endurance should be getting significantly higher numbers.
Why: Gives GWS that potentially elite outside player. Look for GWS to lock Hoskin-Elliot away early in the draft.

#6 Port Adelaide - Chad Wingard (SA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 29/07/1993
Recruited from: Sturt
Style: Scott Pendlebury
Player comparison:
Range: 3-10
Profile: Probably my favourite in this draft. Elite left foot kicking with high hurt factor. Incredibly clean. An all class midfielder who can also have a big impact on the scoreboard. Big time x-factor. Has positional flexibility where he can impact the game through the midfield or up forward. Has good pace. Has a really nice leap on him and can take a specie. Not soft and has shown he is willing to put his body on the line despite his still slender frame. Really a very good inside player and big winner of the contested footy. Likely will start out playing as an outside mid who goes forward because he is still light but expect long term for him to develop into an excellent inside player. Great leader and captained SA at the u18 champs. Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being the best of the lot. Needs to put on some size as well as improve his endurance, but these areas can easily be worked on so I don’t have any huge concerns there. The minor concern I do have is durability, has missed some time this year with injury, but with some more size on his frame his body should be able to hold up at the next level. Might slide because of average finish to the season.
Why: Local talent. Too talented to let slide.

#7 GWS - Adam Tomlinson (VIC – KPF/KPD/Mid)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 10/08/1993
Style: Matthew Pavlich
Player comparison:
Range: 4-15
Profile: Versatile KPP who can play well down either end and even a bit through the midfield. Didn’t stand out as much as I’d hoped he might and wasn’t super consistent during the champs. Against lesser opposition can provide good rebound from defence but can struggle against better opposition which would be my question on him. Also isn’t super quick for a KPP. Also doesn’t have a great leap on him but endurance is fantastic for a key position player. Is capable when down back of doing some good shut down roles against some very good forwards and keeping their impact down. Up forward doesn’t look out of place either. Strong mark overhead. Ball use good for a taller type and interestingly does have an opposite boot. So there is that potential to play either end depending on needs. What he does have is great endurance. Also from reports very coachable.
Why: GWS need their KPPs and the talk is GWS will take Tomlinson over Longer.

#8 Brisbane - Toby Greene (VIC - Mid)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 15/09/1993
Style: Joel Selwood/Matthew Boyd
Player comparison:
Range: 5-15
Profile: Like Tyson, Green has really improved his draft stocks with a very strong champs with some big games and has continued that form on nicely. Big time ball magnet. Wins allot of clearances and wins his fair share of contested ball. Shows strong attack on the ball. Particularly good by hand and makes good decisions more often than not. Not a super high level athlete but has a great endurance base and very good agility.
Why:

#9 GWS - Billy Longer (VIC – Ruck/KPF)
Height: 202cm, Weight: 98kg, DOB: 12/05/1993
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Style: Paul Salmon
Player comparison:
Range: 4-15
Profile: Ruckman who can also have an impact as a forward. Looks like a really solid prospect and is the standout ruckman in this draft. Has great size and should grow out solidly. Strong overhead and can take a strong contested grab. Every time you hear about him you hear about his curious left handed tap work for a right footer. For a big has good pace. Gives solid effort and gives those 2nd and 3rd efforts and is very good at ground level. One thing that stood out to me with Longer at the champs is that during the quarter breaks he would always be giving his team mates a rev up and on field would always encourage his team mates consistently which is a good sign. Like most ruckman at a similar age needs to work on endurance and can still get better at pushing forward and being a dangerous marking target, but it should come. Kicking while he has good penetration already he still needs a fair bit of work in on it, doesn’t find the intended target nearly consistently enough. As a forward though is a really strong target and can provide a serious option, so doesn’t have to be a pure ruckman although at his height you’d think eventually that’s the role he plays primarily.
Why:

#10 GWS - Liam Sumner (VIC - Mid)
Height: 178cm, Weight: 71kg, DOB: 16/08/1993
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Style: Dale Thomas/ Isaac Smith
Player comparison:
Range: 6-20
Profile: Hasn’t to this stage shown any consistent inside ability but as an outside mid he is very, very good. To say he doesn’t have any consistent inside ability isn’t to say it is a lack of effort, his attack on the ball and the man are excellent but just doesn’t win nearly enough of his own ball and doesn’t have that natural inside ability. The strength is the really explosive pace and Sumner can break lines easily and carry the ball great distances. Incredibly agile and can dance around opponents and spin through tackles easily. Very high skill level and finds targets by foot consistently on either foot. Can influence the game with limited touches, but doesn’t get nearly enough of it for my liking. Tackles well for someone still fairly light and shows some potential there because he isn’t afraid to attack the man and has the pace and agility to catch his man. Will need to get allot stronger and work on endurance so that he can influence the game more consistently, but those are both areas that can be worked on and improved easily enough. Working on those high intensity repeat efforts will be the big one which will enable Sumner to improve further.
Why:

#11 GWS - Nic Haynes (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 72kg, DOB: 18/05/1992
Style:
Player comparison: Sam Gilbert (Fwd version)
Range: 7-15
Profile: Tall wingman who can play forward. Is that year older. Very thin build still. Very late bloomer and has grown significantly over past 2 years suggesting more improvement. Very strong overhead and consistently marks at the highest point, but doesn’t have a great leap so against similarly sized opponents not sure I see him ever dominating. Very agile and has nice running ability. The big potential for Haynes is his mismatch potential because he has a big engine and can take marks over smaller types, but I worry how he will matchup against players of similar height. While a late developed I’m not really sure I see the weapons that make him a top selection, but none the less expect him to go high.
Why:

#12 Brisbane - Sam Docherty (VIC - Def)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 17/10/1993
Recruited from: Gippsland Power
Style: Heath Shaw
Player comparison:
Range: 10-25
Profile: Really impressive when he got injected into the champs. Wasn’t part of the original Vic Country side. Back flanker who provides serious dash from defence and looks like a real weapon in the making with that explosive speed of his. Kicking is exceptional and under pressure looks very composed which is a great sign and can use either foot well. Man on man is solid and is an absolute rebounding machine from defence. Allot to like and is a 1st round talent.
Why:

#13 GWS - Devon Smith (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 175cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 20/05/1993
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Style: Brent Harvey
Player comparison:
Range: 9-30
Profile: Not tall, but a big ball winner who works hard around the ground. If you play him up forward he will give you the tackling effort you look for in a small forward. Dominant at U18 level. Leader. Has as good burst of speed and he has great endurance allowing him to pick up big numbers regularly. Tested really well at the draft combine. Strong overhead for size. But it is hard to see him having the same impact at the next level against bigger, more disciplined opposition because at U18 level he seems to get by because he works harder than everyone else. Just don’t really see the upside in his game or the potential for improvement and I think he might struggle with the intensity at the next level. But still has the opportunity to have a solid AFL career whether that be as a forward or later on through the midfield.
Why:

#14 GWS - Taylor Adams (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 20/09/1993
Style: Nathan Foley
Player comparison:
Range: 9-20
Profile: Really impressive inside midfielder. Has really good pace and agility. Has great burst speed and moves really well. Don’t think he would look out of place at AFL level now to be honest. Seems that class above. Good tackling ability. Stands up strongly in tackles and has the strength to break away. Reads the play well consistently. Strong mark and can use his body well in marking contests to beat his man which gives him so forward potential as well as midfield potential. Has a great work ethic and is a future leader at whichever club he lands at. Has a really high footy IQ. His handball ability even under pressure is very good. Kicking is accurate. Decision making very good. Has great special awareness and you can tell he has played basketball as a kid. Looks like an immediate fit who can play at the next level sooner rather than later.
Why: Gives GWS a really immediate midfielder who can play through the middle or up forward if required. Work ethic good and as a new club starting up you need high character kids like Adams to build a core group around.

#15 Richmond - Daniel Markworth (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 03/04/1992
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Style:
Player comparison: Nat Fyfe
Range: 10-30
Profile: Overager with nice positional flexibility. High character. Very intelligent kid. Comes from a tennis and basketball background. Has played as leadup forward as well as a midfielder and brings really nice versatility. Very high level athlete with an elite burst of speed and a nice leap on him. Not bad by foot and has a good 55m kick on him. Good ball user by both hand and foot. Very draftable. Late bloomer still to a degree learning the game. Project. But has made big progress in a very short space of time! Just keeps getting better with every game he plays and there seems to be allot of upside! Still allot of work to come. Marking could be allot better for a player of his type with the leap he has.
Why:

#16 Fremantle – Brandon Ellis (VIC – Def)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 03/08/1993
Style: Heath Shaw
Player comparison:
Range: 9-20
Profile: Good user of the ball. Has a bit of a weapon of a kick down back. Provides great rebound from defence. Wins the hard ball and really attacks it. Good reader of the play. Tackles hard. Shrugs tackles with ease. Has a stocky type build but interestingly tested very well in the sprints. Has been a big performer both throughout the year for Calder Cannons as throughout the U18 champs so should be a fairly immediate player based on production this year and body type + size. Interestingly had a very good draft combine and tested incredibly well in all categories including speed which was a concern coming in. Not a fashionable type selection, but one who will bring you the results.
Why:

#17 Western Bulldogs - Hayden Crozier (VIC – Fwd/Mid)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 68kg, DOB: 24/12/1993
Style: Dale Thomas/Andrew Walker
Player comparison:
Range: 9-30
Profile: Still inconsistent and doesn’t impact games as consistently as you would want, but none the less a special talent who can do the team lifting things whether it be taking a specie or kicking a team lifting goal. Already famous for his sensational specie he took during the champs. Absolute highlight machine who can do the special and make it look easy. Still light but has standout speed and really has that young Dale Thomas feel to his play with that tremendous upside as well as that same jumping ability. Skill level very high and has a nice long left foot kick. Has great goal sense. Needs to work on endurance, but with work that should come and with it should come consistency. Will also need to add weight, but still very young so that also should come. Really vocal player. Will be one of the youngest players drafted this year and will likely has a fair bit of growth left.
Why:

#18 North Melbourne – Todd Elton (VIC – KPF/Ruck/KPD)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 92kg, DOB: 29/04/1993
Style: Drew Petrie
Player comparison:
Range: 10-35
Profile: Athletic leading forward/ruckman. Very agile and moves really well for someone of his size. There is allot to like athletically, has great speed for his size, has a big leap on him as his running vertical jump score as his result at the draft combine shows as well as great agility. Good tackler for size. Very competitive at ground level. Has a very long kick on him. Strong mark overhead. Probably needs to influence more games more consistently because some games he can be among the better players and in other games can do very little. As a forward I don’t particularly like his leading patterns and I actually like him more as a high talent key defender long term. Didn’t really stand out during the champs as much as I would have liked and has had a very inconsistent season, but still is one of the better tall prospects because he still has all the pieces to develop into a serious player at the next level. Potential is there but just hasn’t put it together yet.
Why:

#19 Essendon - Elliot Kavanagh (VIC - Mid)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 19/05/1993
Style: David Mundy
Player comparison:
Range: 15-25
Profile: Missed the champs with injury but still a standout talent in this years draft and could still be high draft choice. Good all rounder. Quick mid who is also a very good ball user and has those footy smarts and cleanness. Solid ball winner. Endurance excellent. Very high level tackler. Can play inside or outside equally well. Past performances suggest that he should be a top 10 selection. Has put his injury concerns past him and is ready to go for season 2012 on an AFL list. He might slide because of his injury concerns and because we haven’t seen all that many of his games this year, but personally I’d take him early, just another of those players who will go into the draft with injury concerns and come out the other end as one of the best players.
Why:

#20 Fremantle - Shane Kersten (WA – Fwd/KPF)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 92kg, DOB: 15/03/1993
Recruited from: South Fremantle
Style: Brendan Fevola
Player comparison: Jack Darling
Range: 10-rookie
Profile: Undersized key position forward. Was a standout in the 2010 U18 champs but has had injury difficulties this year. Has a great goal sense. Really strong mark on the lead and is that leading type forward. At ground level also very good for someone of his size and type. Has a nice long right foot kick and can use his left around the goal without any difficulty. Pace also very good and can create separation from his opponent. Doesn’t have a whole lot of positional flexibility and probably will play as a leading full forward at the next level even though at his size I’d rather he be more of a 3rd tall. Form has been there and has finished off the season incredibly strongly with some massive hauls. Very ready to go for a key forward but at his height upside possibly limited so you draft him on what he can produce now. Some have mentioned that there might be some attitude and work ethic issues, but as a key forward not super worried about that. As a key forward talent is king and always best to go for the most talented option.
Why:

#21 Sydney - Tom Mitchell (WA – Mid) F/S
Height: 181cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 31/05/1993
Recruited from: Claremont Football Club
Style: Michael Voss
Player comparison:
Range: 1st round
Profile: Would be a clear top 10 selection if not for F/S, so Sydney will do well to get this kid in the 20s. Fantastic inside mid and one of the standouts in this year’s draft. Has a really strong attack on the footy. Wins allot of contested ball on the inside but also links up very well in general play. Has really good hands and has a good awareness of those around him and who to handball to. Has a high skill level and showed that he can kick goals from 50-55m out in general play. Elite endurance. Has the strength to stand up in tackles. Ready to go and could play from round one. My main concern is probably his decision making, probably by foot doesn’t always pick out the best targets and usually goes to contests rather than having the vision to find a free man.
Why:

#22 Carlton - Brad McKenzie (SA – Mid/Def)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 29/05/1993
Recruited from: Sturt
Style: Dyson Heppel/ Scott Pendlebury
Player comparison:
Range: 9-25
Profile: The thing that stands out with McKenzie is his skills by foot, is the absolute feature of his game. Best kick in this year’s draft. Has a great penetrating left foot kick on him and can consistently find targets or kick long goals from 60m out without any difficulty. Even under pressure executes by foot without any difficulty. Has that good special awareness and seems to know what is going on around him. Needs to work on endurance, this should allow him to get bigger numbers at the next level. Not a sensational athlete and doesn’t have much pace but makes up for it with his skill level. Seems to have a really good understanding of the game and reads the play well. Inside work is also very good. Was one of SA’s best midfielders in the u18 champs and had a couple of big games. A bit of a flanker but can play through the midfield well.
Why:

#23 West Coast – Thomas Sheridan (VIC – Mid/Util)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 28/10/1993
Style:
Player comparison: Jake Melksham
Range: 15-35
Profile: Versatile type who can play mid, forward, back all pretty comfortably. Has put together some pretty reasonable form this season and continues to get good numbers. Skill level is good and has that really solid endurance base already. Works hard both ways. Doesn’t have that top level pace or those real standout qualities but is a really nice all rounder. Draft combine showed that his endurance is right up there with the best in the business. What the draft combine also confirmed in my mind is that Sheridan is a clown off the field. This doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t work hard on and off the field, I suggest quite the opposite, from everything I hear he is a willing worker and wants to make the grade, but he does enjoy the practical joking side of things and likely would be one of the less serious personalities around the club, so a professional and successful environment might be the best thing for him.
Why:

#24 Gold Coast – Jordan Murdoch (SA – Fwd/Mid)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 23/03/1992
Recruited from: Glenelg
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 20-60
Profile: Undersized key position forward who is probably more of a 3rd tall at the next level. Bit of a leading forward, but has some attributes which indicate he could be a draft chance even though he is that year older. Has elite speed for someone of his size and type. Nice left foot on him. Tackling ability good. Maybe with his speed and at his size might be better suited to playing on a wing. Endurance needs work though and can fade in and out of games but there is enough to work with to suggest that he will get drafted.
Why:

#25 St Kilda - Michael Talia (VIC - KPD)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 11/02/1993
Style: Brian Lake
Player comparison:
Range: 10-40
Profile: Probably the best key position defender in this draft. Big contested mark. Has a very good endurance base. Has a strong work rate and really has great strength for his age and really seems to enjoy wrestling with his opposing big men often out marking his direct opponent in a contest. Speed is fairly average. Needs to keep working on his kicking and build more consistency by foot.
Why:

#26 Richmond - Alex Forster (SA – Def/Util)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 14/07/1993
Recruited from: Norwood
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 10-35
Profile: Versatile medium size player. Have seen him mainly down back but can play through the midfield or up forward well. Have seen him do some really nice defensive jobs down back. Has a high skill level and is very duel sided. Strong overhead. Shows some good run and carry with the ball in hand. Was great throughout the U18 champs and form in the later part of the season will likely move him up the rankings further than expected.
Why:

#27 Adelaide – Sam Kerridge (VIC - Mid)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 26/04/1993
Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers
Style: Dane Swan
Player comparison:
Range: 20-60
Profile: Really powerful midfielder. Racks up big numbers through the midfield. Has a nice burst of speed and was very unlucky not to get games for Vic Country. Always looks dangerous when he gets near it and gets big clearance numbers. Strong mark overhead. Effective when he shifts forward. Endurance is elite. Really great size and can get among the goals. Has been very consistent throughout the year. Didn’t look out of place when he got games at VFL level for Bendigo. What I am critical of is his kicking, probably not as consistent as I’d like to see it be.
Why:

#28 West Coast – Jordan Lockyer (WA – KPD/KPF)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 15/06/1993
Recruited from: West Perth Football Club
Style:
Player comparison: Jack Anthony
Range: 20-45
Profile: Really aggressive, physical player. You can tell he grew up in a footballing family. Undersized KPP who proved during the U18 Champs that he can play well down either end. Has a fierce attack on the footy. Can do a job defensively but also can take big grabs. Has the strength to stand up in tackles and even take on tacklers. Skill level is very good for someone of his size and type. Versatile and should settle into a position as a 3rd tall down either end at AFL level or could just be tall enough to play as a key defender.
Why:

#29 Fremantle - Josh Bootsma (WA - Def)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 22/02/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 20-rookie
Profile: Son of Brad. Not one I’ve been following closely throughout the year. My understanding of his season is that he started out fairly slow but worked into the season and showed some solid improvement. Tall back flanker who is good defensively and adds some rebound from defence.
Why:

#30 Brisbane - Sam Frost (VIC – KPD/KPF)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 28/08/1993
Style: Jarrad Waite
Player comparison:
Profile: Athletic KPP who has also played plenty of volleyball and basketball which you can see in his play. Has absolutely crazy dash for someone his size! Not afraid to take on his man which is a good sign considering his athletic attributes. Has shown bits both up forward and down back, so could be effective at either end depending on needs. Like him most at centre half back with his pace providing that dash. Can tell he has played a number of other sports with some of the things he can do. Really started on fire at the U18 Champs. Allot to work with. Great potential. Need to develop consistency. Needs to develop more consistency in kicking because it is all over the place.
Why:

#31 Essendon – Sebastian Ross (VIC – Mid)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 07/05/1993
Style: Nick Dal Santo
Player comparison:
Range: 15-45
Profile: Medium midfielder who feels really draftable. Really lively. Has a high work rate. Footskills are the standout feature of his game. Just one of those perfect left footers. Under pressure has no difficulty executing. Really like his tackling pressure and for someone with his footskills it’s a rare combination to have. Can play some midfield either inside or outside comfortably. Also like what i’ve seen of Ross up forward. Has a really hard running game and has worked very hard athletically over the past year and it has really been paying off for him. Hard worker and has been a real improver over the past year. Disposal efficiency probably not as high as it could be, even though he is such a good ball user, but I expect he will continue to work hard and improve it just as he has improved his conditioning this year.
Why:

#32 Geelong – Andrew Boseley (VIC - KPD)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 04/09/1992
Style: Matthew Scarlett/ Sam Fisher
Player comparison:
Range: 15-45
Profile: Athletic type full back. Still skinny and struggles body on body. But lots of development left. Looks allot like Dustin Fletcher with his skinny build and long arms. Has had some really promising games down back and has become a really good rebounder from defence with his ability to mark off opposition kicks because he reads it so well in the air. Closing speed good and has the endurance to go with it. Skills need work and needs to clean up to maximise his game and become a better attacking defender – which stylistically he very much is.
Why:

#33 Hawthorn – Clay Smith (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 180cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 11/05/1993
Style: Kieran Jack
Player comparison: Mitch Banner
Range: 15-50
Profile: Hard inside player. Loves the contested footy. Real competitor. Great endurance. Great accumulator. Really solid clearance player. Midfielder who can play forward and get among the goals. Has the strength to break through tackles and can stand up in them. Really attacks the ball at pace. Always shows great tackling effort and tackles hard. Strong overhead mark for someone his size and marks at the highest point. Left footer, but wouldn’t describe his kicking as a feature of his game which is the main thing that will really need work if he wants to make the grade.
Why:

#34 Geelong - Mitchell Grigg (SA - Mid)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 02/01/1993
Style: Daniel Rich
Player comparison:
Range: 10-45
Profile: Doesn’t have great pace or athleticism but is a real footballer who was a standout at the u18 champs. Has a super long 60m left foot kick which hits it’s targets consistently and is a real feature of his game. Really good decision maker whether by hand or foot just seems to always find the right target. Very high skill level for an inside player which along with his long kick is what makes him stand out. Good decision maker. Big ball winner. Endurance good. Ready to play now and have an impact. Could to improve further win more of the hard contested footy, is improving in this area but need to become better in this area to make it at the next level. Doesn’t work hard the other way and seems lazy at times. Also some questions about personality which might make a couple of clubs nervous. But all the same has the potential to be a bargain selection.
Why:

#35 St Kilda – Henry Schade (TAS - KPD)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 08/10/1993
Recruited from: North Hobart
Style: Dustin Fletcher
Player comparison:
Profile: Really solid full back. Disciplined spoiling type. Good reader of the play. Has a neat left foot kick. Very good user of the ball by both hand and foot. Decision making when pressured is questionable. Good leap. Has nice pace. Agile. Endurance not great but will improve. One of the best for Tasmania during the champs and looks like a good chance to get drafted. Needs to get a little stronger, but that will come.
Why:

#36 Melbourne – Murray Newman (WA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 67kg, DOB: 18/11/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Really nice midfielder/forward who is really dangerous whenever he gets the ball in hand. Really good user of the footy and something just seems to happen every time he gets near it. Has pace. Has really good vision and is really good at finding space. Good finisher around goal. Looks like a really nice talent even though he is on the small side. Physically a fair bit of development to come.
Why:

#37 St Kilda – Myles Bolger (WA - Ruck)
Height: 201cm, Weight: 95kg, DOB: 25/03/1993
Recruited from: South Fremantle Football Club
Style: Darren Jolly
Player comparison:
Range: 10-55
Profile: Fantastic tap ruckman, gives mids first use consistently and taps to advantage. Around the ground also very good. Strong mark overhead. Skill level very good for a ruckman. My main concerns are that he doesn’t really jump in the ruck and against bigger or more athletic opponents he might struggle. Not a super athlete and given current lack of size will need to bulk up all. Also has had injury concerns - foot. But 1st round quality ruckman. Give him time because he has essentially missed 2 years of footy.
Why:

#38 Hawthorn – Elliot Yeo (WA - Mid)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 01/10/1993
Recruited from: East Fremantle Football Club
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 20-55
Profile: Has really nice pace. Kicking is very good. Probably didn’t stand out as much as I’d hoped during the champs. Big concern is decision making under pressure. When pressured he really seems to lack composure and makes mistakes. But none the less plenty of talent and seems really draftable.
Why:

#39 Western Bull Dogs – Tom Downie (VIC – Ruck)
Height: 205cm, Weight: 95kg, DOB: 27/04/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 25-45
Profile: Ruckman from a basketball background. Has only players the two matches this year, but gee has he stood out in the games he has played! Tap work is very good and has the awareness of where to tap it and where his team mates are. Can take a mark around the ground. Has a very long way to go. Endurance very much a work in progress, interestingly tested ok in the beep test, so it’s probably more of a football conditioning thing. Project. Will take time.
Why:

#40 North Melbourne – Jackson Paine (VIC – KPF/Mid)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 21/06/1993
Style: Matthew Pavlich
Player comparison:
Range: 10-late
Profile: Really like Paine as a forward. Particularly strong mark on the lead but also marks strongly overhead. Marks at the highest point which is what you look for in all good forwards. Really hard working type who seems to enjoy the contest. Crashes packs. Good work rate. Gives the 2nd and 3rd efforst. Defensively very good and chases and tackles very willingly. Can push into the midfield and play really well in there as well as up forward. Good field kick for someone his size.
Why:

#41 Adelaide- Shane Nelson (WA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 11/05/1993
Recruited from: West Perth Football Club
Style: Leigh Montagna
Player comparison:
Range: 25-45
Profile: Big time midfield ball winner. Has standout endurance. Speed very good. Wins the hard ball on the inside but also has an impact running on the outside. Has a solid skill level and links up well finding targets by foot consistently. Duel sided. While he has a nice skill set I’m probably not as sold on his decision making under pressure, looks rushed much of the time. Marking overhead strong for size. Dangerous around goal. Will be interesting to see how he fairs against stronger competition.
Why:

#42 St Kilda – Josh Tynan (VIC – Mid/Def)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 06/11/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 30-60
Profile: Really good reader of the play. Strong overhead. Gives great effort around the ground and works really hard. Speedy. Very good 1v1. Good ball user. Quality outside type player who can play down back just as well.
Why:

#43 Sydney – Josh Waldhuter (SA - Mid)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 15/03/1993
Recruited from: Central District
Style: Patrick Dangerfield
Player comparison:
Profile: Has been good over the past two or three years at U18 level for SA. This year seemed to get overshadowed by the efforts of Grigg. Probably didn’t quite get the numbers I was hoping he would get but still is among the better midfielders in this year’s draft. Physically very mature and ready to play now. Strong tackler and gives those multiple efforts. Attack on the ball is absolute insanity and is really unrivalled in this regard. Has nice penetrating kick. Speed good also very good for an inside player. The criticism with Waldhuter is that he probably doesn’t get enough of it for my liking, but with greater inside minutes this should change. Also would like to see him improve by hand because sometimes he possibly isn’t as precise as I’d like him to be.
Why:

#44 Carlton – Fraser McInnes (WA – KPF/KPD)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 91kg, DOB: 19/07/1993
Recruited from: Perth Football Club
Player comparison:
Range: 10-55
Profile: Key position player with great potential at his size. Strong mark overhead. Very mobile and already very mature physically. Has had some injury difficulties this year so his form has been less exposed but that shouldn’t be an issue. Versatility is there for him to play a range of positions, but possibly like him more as a key forward. One criticism of McInnes is that he probably doesn’t dominate enough yet for someone of his size, so it will be interesting to see how he will cope at the next level.
Why:

#45 Port Adelaide – Joel Hamling (WA - KPP)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 09/04/1993
Style:
Player comparison: Declan Reilly
Range: 35-rookie
Profile: Key position player. Strong overhead. Defensively good and is happy to do the little things off the ball as well as tackle. Has a good footy IQ for a key forward. Very mobile and has the ability to play either end but still physically has a long way to go. Will take time. Also really needs to develop a real weapon into his game, isn’t strong, doesn’t have the endurance to wear down an opposition defender, maybe this could be in his speed or could develop high level repeat speed, but needs to add something extra to his game to take him to the next level.
Why:

#46 Adelaide – Haiden Schloithe (WA - Fwd)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 72kg, DOB: 16/06/1993
Style: Mark LeCras
Player comparison:
Range: 40-rookie
Profile: Really good user of the footy. Looks dangerous whenever he gets near it. Good reader of the play. Has that radar where he just knows exactly where the goals are. Tackling great and in combination with his speed is a major weapon in his game. Looks incredibly draftable. Has nice strength through the hits which makes him hard to tackle. Is allot quicker than I thought running a 2.80 over 20m at the state screenings and also has a nice running vertical jump which is another nice surprise. Has really impressed me and stood out in the couple of games I’ve seen of him. Can play up the field but just love what I’ve seen of him as a forward! What he needs to work on is endurance, endurance testing at the draft combine was poor and is what will see him slide but don’t let that discourage you. Can absolutely play.
Why:

#47 Brisbane – Jimmy Webster (TAS - Mid)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 71kg, DOB: 28/06/1993
Recruited from: Glenorchy
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Really nice left footer. Has nice penetration on his kick. Great user of the footy. Good pace. Didn’t stand out as much as I had hoped during the champs and because of it has gone down my rankings. But looks like a really solid prospect none the less. Really talented outside mid who can go forward and have an impact.
Why:

#48 Geelong – Jackson Merrett (VIC – Mid/Util)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 70kg, DOB: 27/02/1993
Style:
Player comparison: Jasper Pittard
Range: 25-60
Profile: Versatile type midfielder who doesn’t really stand out which might by why there has been limited talk about him to this point. Still skinny. But is quality. Has pace and a really nice skill set. More of an outside player but can take his turn inside. Has great leadership potential and seems to be really motivated and looks like a good find.
Why:

#49 Western Bull Dogs – Jack Newnes (VIC – Mid/Util)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 24/02/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 35-late
Profile: Good linkup player who can play along the wings, forward or back without any trouble. Kicking is very good and consistently finds targets. Duel sided. Has good footy smarts. Good decision maker. Inside game improving and has become a bigger ball winner, but will at the next level which will suit him because he enjoys the time and space which allots his touches to be even better. Can do shut down jobs. Needs to build an inside game and needs to win more contested footy.
Why:

#50 Collingwood – Zyrus (Waylen) Manson (WA – KPF)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 24/04/1993
Recruited from: Claremont
Style:
Player comparison: Liam Jurrah
Profile: The talent is there as is the production which makes Manson a deserving 1st round prospect but the question is will he go this high and will teams take the risk? On talent outshone Brendan Fevola in the NTFL and has consistently bought home big bags of goals which makes him a very intriguing prospect. Has a massive running vertical jump as his draft combine score would indicate, as well as this he has long arms which mean that because he takes his marks at the highest point, he can take just about everything that comes in his general direction which is his big weapon, and he takes it beyond a level we have seen at any level frankly. Ability to take over games like probably no other talent in this draft outside of maybe Patton. But doesn’t yet understand team structures, and hasn’t played much serious team football so it is a big time high risk, high reward selection because he could be anything if he can apply himself, but could also become nothing very quickly. As a forward is pretty selfish with his play and when he gets it – mostly through taking a grab up forward, just goes for goal, handballing isn’t in his dictionary and generally plays selfishly. Goal kicking technique could do with some work, set shots look iffy and needs to develop consistency. Defensively allot of work needed and doesn’t currently chase or tackle. So very much an unfinished product and there are allot of areas where he needs to improve, but what Manson can do, he does to a whole new level that no other player in the competition can do. Also there is the go home factor. But don’t let any of this put you off, Manson is the best talent in this draft. Period. Why I say this is because he not only has the talent, but has the proven production to back it up. Needs a club with the resources and culture for him to succeed.
Why: Collingwood in the grand final were murdered by the Geelong backline who just marked every ball that came in their direction. Manson has the ability to put a stop to this and be another marking target up forward. Manson has proven that he can play alongside focal point type forwards (Fevola) and still have an impact (10 goals), so he looks like a fit to play alongside Cloke and Dawes as that 3rd marking target.

#51 Port Adelaide- Bradley Hill (WA - Mid)
Height: 180cm, Weight: 71kg, DOB: 09/07/1993
Recruited from: West Perth
Style: Stephen Hill
Player comparison:
Profile: Brother of Stephen, not the same level talent but can do many of the same types of things. Very light and physically needs to develop allot. Has that same type of super speed that Stephen possesses which gives him that special potential which will surely see him drafted. Real project player who will need time, but since he is a similar type player of similar size to what Stephen was we might see a similar development pattern, albeit won’t turn out nearly the same level talent. Also worth noting is his incredible endurance, managed a 16.1 beep test result which is phenomenal! Put this together with his incredible speed and maybe we have something! Draft combine showed that he can be more than just the brother of Stephen and that he can be something special in his own right which is what the recruiters were looking for. The question right now is can he play? Right now he looks like athlete over footballer, but time will tell.
Why:

#52 Melbourne – Cameron Ellis-Yolmen (SA – Mid)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 91kg, DOB: 28/01/1993
Recruited from: Woodville West Torrens
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 45-undrafted
Profile: Big, strong inside player. Already physically pretty ready to go and should have a fairly immediate impact. Nice height. Potential is there. Recent form has been very good. Has been a big ball winner throughout the year. I do think he has dominated stoppages on size more than anything which he won’t be able to do at the next level, so I don’t think he will necessarily go as high as some of his bigger fans might lead you to believe.
Why:

#53 Hawthorn – Jai Sheehan (VIC – KPF/Ruck)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 27/01/1993
Style: Drew Petrie
Player comparison:
Range: 30-rookie
Profile: Has been a big time goal kicker in the TAC Cup so for this season. Has a really great skill set for a key forward. Really strong mark overhead and marks at the highest point consistently. Very strong mark in the air if he gets a jump at it. Not a high level athlete but makes up for it with work rate.
Why:

#54 Melbourne – Jordan Kelly (VIC - Def)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 27/06/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Bit undersized to be a key position defender so might have to develop into more of a back flanker who can shut down some dangerous medium forwards. Really good player defensively but provides really nice rebound from defence. Has really nice speed and skill level is very good. One of those who has performed really well in the past but might slide a little lower than he probably should because he hasn’t quite played up to the level many of us thought he might this year.
Why:

#55 Richmond – Lee Spurr (SA – Util)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 27/07/1987
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Versatile type and can play back, forward or midfield easily. Strong overhead and has a nice leap to go with it. High work rate. Wins his own ball. Ball use solid. Has had a really good season and is ready to play now. As I understand it was a bit of a late bloomer and has now really come into his own with some serious totals in the SANFL. Also a great big game player, enjoyed his efforts in the SANFL grand final and his ability to lift late to get his team back in the contest.
Why:

#56 GWS – Michael Bussey (VIC – KPF/KPD)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 05/07/1993
Style: Ben Reid
Player comparison:
Profile: Athletic key position forward who probably hasn’t lived up to expectation this season. Has nice pace and a very good leap which to go with his height show that there is a fair bit to work with. While he has played most of his footy as a forward he could play minor ruck minutes or even be swung back and do reasonably well. Will need to fill out but as a young KPP that will come with time. Has good pace. Reasonable strong mark both on the lead and overhead. Probably best suited to playing as a key position defender because his ability to read the ball well down back. Some questions on how much he wants to play at the next level which is why I see him sliding but the talent is there. Also consistency is the big issue in his game, I suggest a move back will help, but hopefully with some years in the system that can develop because the talent is there.
Why:

#57 Western Bull Dogs – Tom Curran (VIC – KPF/KPD)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 18/09/1993
Style: Sam Fisher
Player comparison:
Profile: Can play both key position forward or back well. The thing that stands out with Tom is his marking ability, very strong mark overhead and on the lead. Good size. Lacks a yard of pace. Was ok during the U18 championships but didn’t stand out as much as I’d hoped. Has since really built his form up and played some really good football to close out the season as a key defender.
Why:

#58 Fremantle – Simon Turnbridge (WA – KPF/KPD)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 01/04/1993
Recruited from: Perth
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Key forward with the versatility to also go back. Ball use good for a player of his type. Was highly rating coming into the year and was part of the GWS list, but ended up walking out of the club due to homesickness which looks like a major concern for non WA clubs. Turnbridge is a strong athlete who is reasonably developed physically for his age but goer in the Shane Kersten basket of probably too short for a KPF.
Why:

#59 Essendon – Alex Woodward (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 176cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 11/06/1993
Style: Luke Ball
Player comparison: Josh Thomas
Profile: Midfielder who by his standards had an average U18 champs. Big inside ball winner and a ferocious tackler. Has absolutely dominated at TAC Cup level this year. Doesn’t really stand out in that he doesn’t have a super flashy skill set or that outside ability but what he does on the inside is very impressive. Is really composed in traffic and can create time + space with his inside smarts and agility. Speed is allot better than I had expected and really surprised with some of his sprint testing. Could be used at the next level as more of a pressure forward who can play minor minutes in the midfield. Usually good but can fade in and out of games which is probably because his endurance isn’t at the level probably you’d hope for it to be at, but that will come.
Why:

#60 St Kilda – Kyal Horsley (WA – Mid)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 02/09/1987
Recruited from: Subiaco
Style: Leigh Montagna
Player comparison:
Profile: Mature age midfielder from WA. Is that class above. Finished second in the Sandover Medal. Really increased his production in 2011. Has a really strong AFL ready body. Wins his own ball. Has a nice left foot kick on him. The versatility to play forward or back is also there which makes Horsley an ideal option having played forward and back earlier in his career. Had a big finals series and the big stage is where performances are truly measured.
Why:

#61 Sydney – Jack Crisp (VIC – Def/Util)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 02/10/1993
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers
Style:
Player comparison: Tyson Goldsack
Profile: Another of these really nice medium size types. Gives super tackling efforts and consistently gives those 2nd and 3rd efforts. This defensive effort is his major selling point and is something he does better than everyone else. Has pace, agility and nice jump on him. Really good reader of the play. Strong marking ability. Has a strong 55m kick on him but kicking skills aren’t a strength of his game. Interestingly for an outsidish player wins a fair bit of his own ball, but then doesn’t do much linking up and gets limited outside ball. Could probably work on his marking and take those grabs more consistently but isn’t a bad prospect. Also can sometimes look pressured with the ball and I do have questions over his decision making, but with a bit of luck that develops.
Why:

#62 Carlton – Dylan Buckley (VIC – Mid/Fwd) F/S
Height: 176cm, Weight: 69kg, DOB: 16/3/1993
Style: Andrew Walker
Player comparison:
Range:
Profile: Carlton have already committed to Buckley. Has missed time through injury. Had allot of hype coming into the season but when playing hasn’t really impressed and has struggled a bit. We have seen him perform well in the past so he should rebound for this year. Pretty light midfielder at this stage. Good skill level. Duel sided. Has good pace. Will take time to develop but if he puts injury behind him, which I think he will no problem he could develop into a very good midfielder/flanker.
Why:

#63 West Coast – Rookie Elevation (Ashton Hams)

#64 Adelaide – Justin Clarke (SA - KPD)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 18/11/1993
Recruited from:
Player comparison:
Range: 45-rookie
Profile: Real country boy. Hasn’t played much football this year since he has been focusing on his study. Very clever and high character kid. Key defender with great potential. Very Dustin Fletcher like as that lanky full back. Really natural mover and doesn’t look out of place on the field. Very agile. Can physically hold his own even though physically he still has a long way to go which is promising.
Why:

#65 Collingwood – Daniel Currie (VIC – Ruck)
Height: 200cm, Weight: 97kg, DOB: 15/02/1989
Recruited from: Sydney
Style:
Player comparison: Trent West
Range: late-undrafted
Profile: Ruckman who has been on Sydney’s list for a couple of years. In early years suffered with injuries but in 2010+2011 just wasn’t able to break into the Sydney senior side and never received that opportunity. Good tap ruckman. Very good around the ground. Can take a strong grab, very much one grab. Good below the knees. Can also shift forward and have an impact which makes him a solid no.2 ruck option. Still young enough to make an impact in this league and have a long career, is at that nice age where he has had a couple of years in the system and is pretty ready to go which makes him an appealing option for a club looking for that immediate ruck choice.
Why: Collingwood won’t do this on draft day because they still have faith in Cameron Wood and then think very highly of Ceglar and Witts as long term prospects, but I’d go the immediate option. A good ruckman is often the difference between premiership sides and Ceglar and Witts are a long way off, Keeffe isn’t a ruckman and will take a whole year of learning the position to become competent, McNamara isn’t consistent enough and Wood doesn’t have the ability to play as the no.2 ruck, nor as the no.1 ruckman to a particularly high level with any level of consistency. Currie on the other hand is an immediate option who has the flexibility to play as the no.2 ruckman as well as provide a target up forward which is why he appeals. Think he could work up good chemistry in combination with Jolly because he can take his turn up forward, but he also offers a bit in the ruck as well as around the ground. Just has lacked the opportunity at Sydney which has hurt him.

#66 Geelong - Marley Williams (WA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 22/07/1993
Style: Paul Chapman
Player comparison: Alex Fasolo
Profile: Real angry ant. The thing that stands out with Williams is his super long kicking. Final game of the champs off one foot showed his penetration with a huge 55m bomb off one step for the goal. Looked routine. Has a really strong build and seems like that Alex Fasolo type where he could play in from season one. Has really nice speed for someone with such a solid build. Really like some of the hard bumps and team things he does off the ball. Enjoys chasing and harassing, with his strength can really make those tackles stick. Strong mark overhead. Endurance allots of work before he steps up and makes an impact at the next level or performs to a high level consistently but with time in the AFL system that will come. Can Paul Chapman style lose his temper and be undisciplined but hopefully that energy can be harnessed over his career and put to better use.
Why: Paul Chapman is aging. Time to bring in a new angry ant as that next generation replacement.

#67 Collingwood – Jarrod Witts (NSW - Ruck)
Height: 209cm, Weight: 115kg, DOB: 13/09/1992
Recruited from: Sydney Uni
Style: Aaron Sandilands/Leigh Brown
Player comparison:
Range:
Profile: Big ruckman who Collingwood can add through the NSW/ACT scholarship program. Fairly new to footy. Competed well during the U18 champs and has shown some really good signs this year. Has developed rapidly over the past 12 months and is an exciting prospect for Collingwood. Since joining the Collingwood VFL side has looked at home and in his most notable game managed a super impressive 3 goal effort. Uses his size well whether it be in crashing packs, tackling or taking strong contested grabs. It’s all about the signs which indicate that he could have a serious future at the next level. Kicking could do with some work and the endurance and durability need to be built up before he plays any senior footy, but in an open draft would likely go 1st round which is a big win for Collingwood!
Why:

#68 St Kilda – Alex Brown (VIC – Def)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 26/09/93
Style: Alan Toovey
Player comparison:
Profile: Medium defender who can play tall or small. Has the speed and mobility to go with most players. Marking ability good as well as well as his spoiling ability. Ball use could probably do with some work, consistency isn’t always there.
Why:

#69 Brisbane - Rookie Elevation (Mitch Golby)

#70 Western Bull Dogs – Rookie Elevation (Luke Dahlhaus)

#71 Fremantle – Nathan Blee (WA – KPD/Def)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 91kg, DOB: 07/09/1990
Recruited from: East Perth
Style: Josh Gibson
Player comparison: Ben Stratton
Profile: Mature ager. Probably a little short to play key defence but can play and has a draft combine invite so it on the radar of a number of clubs. Can do a bit of everything. Is strong enough 1v1 to hold his man. Has a good spoiling game and is rarely beaten. Speed good and can go with most similarly size forwards. Can also provide some drive from the back half. Has a really nice skill set for a big and decision making is very good. Had a real breakout season and has gone from nothing significant to an AFL prospect in a hurry.
Why:

#72 Fremantle – Steven Verrier (WA – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 24/06/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 35-late
Profile: Probably didn’t see the level of production I was expecting from him during the U18 championships but still I like the look of him. Still showed some bits I liked. Looks good through the midfield, down back and even looks dangerous at times when he pushes forward. Is a nice user of the ball by foot. Has line breaking ability. Seems to read the ball really well. Nice tackling ability.
Why:

#73 Western Bull Dogs - Rookie Elevation (Matthew Panos)

#74 North Melbourne – Rookie Elevation (Luke Delaney)

#75 Essendon - Rookie Elevation (Stewart Crameri)

#76 St Kilda – Fletcher Roberts (VIC – KPF/Ruck)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 03/06/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Athletic key forward who can play in the ruck. Will be best known for his outstanding effort in TAC Cup grand final kicking 5 goals, 3 of which in the final quarter to win the game. Players are made on the big stage and Roberts will get big consideration because we now know that he can lift for the moment in the big games when he has to. Is at a great high and the potential is there for him to develop.
Why:

#77 Hawthorn - Rookie Elevation (Luke Breust)

#78 Geelong – Sam Gordon (VIC – KPF/KPD)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 31/03/1993
Style: Travis Cloke
Player comparison:
Profile: Great height for a key position forward and big potential. Big marking forward who has shown great improvement with his marking and it is a real strength to his game now. Attacks the footy well. The other thing that stands out with Gordon is his field kicking. Has a big left foot kick. Set shot kicking on goal still needs some work, can get big hauls but needs to do it more consistently. Also with his marking would like to see him mark out in front more, bit like Tom Hawkins in that he takes too many of his grabs on the chest, which against better defenders should get beaten at the next level.
Why:

#79 GWS – Brett O’Hanlon (VIC - Fwd)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 17/07/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Forward who probably is one of if not the strongest mark going around in this years draft. On the lead incredibly strong and as well as overhead. Reads the ball in the air. Marks consistently at the highest point and always marks out in front. Just keeps his eyes on the ball and that’s all there is to it. Even while jumping in the air or leaping forward always seems to come down with the strong grab. Left footer with a 55m kick on him. Can kick bags of goals. Might need to become more versatile and add a few more strings to his bow at the next level but there is allot to like.
Why:

#80 Gold Coast – Rookie Elevation (Alik Magin)

#81 Port Adelaide – Cam Eardley (WA – Mid/Def)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 24/06/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Really hard player who really contests very hard any time he gets near the footy. Very physical and enjoys all the hard stuff. Wins plenty of his own ball. Really liked what he did down back when Lockyer got injured for WA. Held really strong down back and really has that defensive side to his game down which was encouraging.
Why:

#82 Adelaide – Rookie Elevation (Aiden Riley)

#83 Fremantle - Rookie Elevation (Nick Lower)

#84 North Melbourne – Rookie Elevation (Cameron Pederson)

#85 Sydney – Rookie Elevation (Nathan Gordon)

#86 Geelong: Jed Bews (VIC – Def/Mid) F/S
Height: 186cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 14/12/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Range:
Profile: Defender/Midfielder for the Geelong Falcons. Didn’t make the Vic Country squad but is had a solid season. Good athlete. Good ball user and decision maker.
Why:

#87 GWS - Nic Murphy (VIC – KPF)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 22/03/1993
Style: Jack Riewoldt
Player comparison:
Range: 30-rookie
Profile: Strong marking full forward who marks at the highest point. Has been great at TAC Cup level over the past two seasons. Accurate set shot on goal and in general play has a real radar for where the goals are. Comes from a basketball background.
Why:

#88 Gold Coast – Alex Sexton (QLD – Zone)

#89 Adelaide – Rookie Elevation (Matthew Wright)

#90 GWS – Michael Mascoulis (VIC – Def/Mid)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB:
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Left footer who can play on a back flank or on a wing well. Lacks consistency, but the talent is there. Really great attacking player with that great line breaking pace and ability to make you look silly. Can kick well on either foot and has some hurt factor.
Why:

#91 Gold Coast - Jackson Allen (QLD – Zone)

#92 GWS – Xavier Richards (VIC - KPD)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 25/04/1993
Style: Tyson Goldsack
Player comparison:
Profile: Brother of Ted. Not sure he will grow into a key position player physically which is why I probably have him a little lower than others might. Really agile type. Has shown real promise at times. One surprising feature for someone of his size is his tackling ability. Really enjoys going after it. Could make a solid 3rd tall down back at the next level.
Why:

#93 GWS – Damien Mascitti (VIC – Fwd/Mid)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 18/08/1992
Style: Steve Johnson
Player comparison:
Profile: Creative forward with very good footskills. Uses the footy well. Really clean and can use either side well. Decision making also very good. For an outside type lacks a little bit of pace but makes up for it with his footy smarts.
Why:

#94 GWS – Lachlan Dalgleish (VIC – Mid)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB:
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Outside type. Has some versatility. What stands out with Danglish is his speed, would be one of the fastest in this year’s draft. Also has a 60m kick at his disposal which is another more than handy weapon to have at his disposal.
Why:

#95 GWS – Julian Dobosz (TAS - KPF)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 17/11/1992
Recruited from: North Hobart
Style: Jack Riewoldt
Player comparison: Matthew Panos
Profile: Sensational talent and has that full forward ability few have. Is very new to the game which makes him incredibly interesting. The thing that stands out to me with Dobosz is his ability to read the ball better than his opponent which seems to allow him to get to the right positions more often than not. Very high level athlete and is incredibly quick. Showed that he is a big time goal kicker throughout the year while also putting in some very strong performances during the u18 championships. Would like for him to work a bit harder defensively. Tackling still doesn’t look completely natural to him and needs allot of work. But for someone so new to the game, looking very promising. Testing at the combine will hurt Dobosz as well as measuring in a little shorter than he was initially listed. Still with his talent worth a shot.
Why:

#96 GWS – Nic O’Brien (VIC - Fwd)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 91kg, DOB: 26/06/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Good size for a medium forward. Strong mark overhead and on the lead. Presents really well. Good tackling ability and gives those 2nd and 3rd efforts. Endurance is elite for his type and can push up the ground pretty easily. Performances throughout the year have been very good. Has good vision but kicking can at times let him down at times, really needs to work hard on it.
Why:

*Not going to spend any significant time on a rookie draft. Just threw some other names up who could be draft chances.
Main objective of this was to put some more names forward for discussion.

Rookie draft:
#1 GWS – Steve Rusca (SA – Def/Mid)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 24/06/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Is that smaller type. But can play down back and rotate into the midfield. Work rate good. Skill level very good. Always composed and makes good decisions. Big accumulator. Good run and carry play who gives good drive from the back half.
Why:

#2 Gold Coast – Lewis Hender (SA – Fwd)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 13/09/1993
Style:
Player comparison: Stewart Crameri
Profile: Really big bodied forward. Really nice size and well build already, can tell he has spent plenty of time in the gym. Will play as a 3rd tall at the next level. Doesn’t get allot of the ball but when he gets it more often than not it turns into a shot at goal. Considering Hender played at U18 level last year and looked quite good I was really surprised that he didn’t dominate this year. Really didn’t impress me through the championships this year. Dropped easy marks, missed easy shots on goal and kicked others out on the full. Was he carrying injury? All really uncharacteristic and not like him at all. Could be one of the better rookie choices.
Why:

#3 Port Adelaide - Danny Butcher (VIC – Mid)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB:
Style:
Player comparison: Luke Dahlhaus
Profile: Inside mid with nice pace. Has a high work rate. Always attacks the footy. Brother of Port Adelaide’s John. Completely different player. His hair makes him stand out. Very good mark for a player of his type and can play allot taller than his height. Hit some excellent form late in the season to put his name up as a possible draftee.
Why:

#4 Brisbane – Corey Gault (WA-Ruck/KPF)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 28/10/1992
Recruited from: Swan Districts
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Ruck/key forward. Really nice athlete with his leaping ability, nice pace and is the potential to play as a no.2 ruckman. Big improver over the past year, has really come from nowhere in a hurry and really developed very quickly as the season progressed. What Gault does well in the ruck is his 2nd and 3rd efforts after the ruck contest and will try to give his midfielders that extra support. Also from what I understand is very coachable, so Gault could be a really selection with some potential to develop.
Why:

#5 Adelaide – Matthew Jacquier (SA - Fwd)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 29/03/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Medium forward with a fantastic skill set. Really good user of the footy and finds targets by foot consistently with either foot. Really smart user of the ball in general play and can fake one way and go the other effectively despite not being a super athlete. Really good finisher around the goal. Strong mark overhead and on the lead. Has a sound set shot goal kicking routine. Has the ability to turn his man inside out. Was very surprised to not see him feature in any games during the champs because he is a quality talent.
Why:

#6 Melbourne – Brody Mihocek (TAS – Def/Util)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 04/02/1993
Recruited from: Burnie
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Tall player with the versatility to play anywhere. Was one of if not the best player for Tasmania at the u18 championships. Physically quite mature already. Very strong overhead and can take a contested grab. Has versatility to play both ends as well as against different sizes which is a bonus. Skill set good. Could probably learn to better keep his feet, just doesn’t always seem balanced and goes to ground a little too easily. Skill level ok but what I do like is his decision making ability, more often than not takes the right option and always seems fairly composed. Also didn’t test nearly as well as expected which will see him slide, which is surprising because in game he looks allot quicker and more athletic than his results indicate which is really disappointing.
Why:

#7 Richmond – Willie Wheeler (VIC – Mid)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB:
Style: Robert Harvey
Player comparison:
Profile: Big time clearance player. Unlucky not to get drafted last year but has more than made up for it by dominating at VFL level as a 1st year player. Hard worker. At clearance situations goes hard at the contest and always seems to come streaming out with it. Seems to enjoy tackling and gives those 2nd and 3rd efforts. Not a long kick but kicking over short distances is very good. Can play now and is ready to have an impact.
Why:

#8 Fremantle – Max Duffy (WA – Fwd/Mid)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 11/04/1993
Recruited from: East Fremantle
Style: Steve Johnson
Player comparison:
Range: 30-undrafted
Profile: Really talented forward who can work his way into the midfield. Has good pace. Reads the ball well and is a really good decision maker when ball is in hand. Work rate an issue. But can have a serious impact in spurts for the time being. Needs to continue to work harder defensively and work on his endurance because he probably doesn’t do quite enough for my liking. Have heard there are some personality concerns and unsure how much he wants to play at the next level. But none the less is a quality young talent with serious x-factor.
Why:

#9 Western Bull Dogs- Ben Ross (VIC - Mid)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 21/09/1988
Recruited from: North Melbourne
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: Late-undrafted
Profile: Really surprise delisting for mine. Can play. But has in the past had injury troubles and considering age got delisted. Have seen a number of his games this year at VFL level and have been very impressed. Has really nice pace. Excellent by foot. Weights kicks perfectly and knows where to put them. Decision making good. Too good not to be on an AFL list!
Why:

#10 North Melbourne – Jye Bolton (VIC – Mid)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 03/03/1992
Recruited from: Collingwood
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Collingwood midfielder who frankly should have been promoted from rookie list, not delisted. Work ethic is as good as any. Personality no questions. Really produced to a level beyond belief in his first season for Collingwood. In the NAB Cup didn’t look out of place in any of those games and looked a natural fit and got better as the season progressed and really closed the season hard with some big performances. Endurance is elite. Skills very good. Midfielder who could fit into a side now and have an impact. Plenty of development left and could easily develop into a 100+ gamer.
Why:

#11 Essendon – Jason Williams (VIC – Mid)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB:
Style:
Player comparison: Clinton Young
Profile: Having a disappointing year by his standard. Coming into the season was regarded one of the better talents in this year’s draft but has really fallen down the rankings fast. Tall wingman type. Very agile and has nice pace. Has been very inconsistent and needs to give effort more consistently because when he is on he can play some high level football. Strong mark overhead. Tackling can be good when effort is there. Skill level good, but poor decision maker.
Why:

#12 St Kilda – Cameron Valentine (VIC – Fwd)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 02/11/1993
Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers
Style:
Player comparison: Jeremy Howe
Profile: Young forward who has missed some time through illness. Has even played some ruck and competed well but won’t at next level. Strong marking forward with an incredibly good leap and can take some absolute hangers. Has a high work rate which allows him to make those multiple leads. Also a really nice contested mark. Takes it at the highest point which is what you look for in any forward. Skill level very good. Very draftable.
Why:

#13 Sydney – Brendan AhChee (WA – Mid)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB:
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Was disappointing in his one showing during the U18 champs with the single 4 possession game. Very athletic outside midfielder with a nice leap on him. Skill level promising. Those who have seen more of him though very much rate. Certainly the potential and is one who will likely get drafted on talent.
Why:

#14 Carlton – Jake Hammond (VIC – Fwd)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB:
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Has had injury issues this year. Been a big goal kicker this year. Very strong mark overhead. Really agile type with very good endurance. Left footer and reasonable shot on goal. Will likely play as a 3rd tall at the next level. Probably didn’t close out the season all that strongly as he would have liked which might hurt his draft position.
Why:

#15 West Coast – Aaron Hall (TAS – Mid/Util)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB:
Recruited from:
Style:
Player comparison: Lewis Jetta
Profile: Very, very quick mature ager. Tasmanian speedster. Absolutely standout acceleration and just goes. Can make you look silly with the way he routinely runs around opposition players like cones on a training track. Strong mark overhead. Tackling ability very good and gives those 2nd and 3rd efforts. Skills neat without being outstanding. Brings good versatility.
Why:

#16 Hawthorn – Sam Dwyer (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 29/08/1986
Recruited from: Port Melbourne
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: late-rookie
Profile: Has at VFL level been essentially the best player on the best team. Not young but is that immediate player to who can make a team better right away. Hard worker. Has a high skill level and has really nice pace. Very agile and can dance around players. What I really like in his game is his delivery to his leading forwards, just weights it perfectly and knows where his forwards want it. Is that clear class above VFL level.
Why:

#17 Collingwood - Ben Brown (TAS – KPF/Ruck)
Height: 199cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 20/11/1992
Recruited from: Devonport
Style: Kurt Tippett
Player comparison:
Range: 50-undrafted
Profile: Really interesting footballer from Tasmania. Comes from a strong basketball background. Brown is a really interesting key position forward who has everything I look for in a young forward, but also has the ability to play ruck and hold his own + add some accumulation around the ground. Very talented and can do things others his size simply cannot do. Below the knees is unbelievably coordinated for someone his size. Incredibly talented and had it not been for a knee injury during the U18 championships in 2010 he would surely have gone in last year’s draft. Ben is very much a project player but one I would take without hesitation based on talent and knowing that this kid has it. Just needs to stay healthy and be given time. Have been very happy with his efforts coming back from a knee reconstruction. Has not lost any athleticism so no need to worry there. Is improving with every match. Gets involved in the play around the ground when playing in the ruck.
Why:

#18 Geelong – Jack Charleston (VIC – Mid/Util)
Height: 177cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 09/01/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Had a really nice season for the Western Jets though the midfield. Big ball winner. Has great footy smarts. Was probably pretty unlucky not to make the Metro squad. Really tough player with good pace. Not afraid to take on opposition players. Has grown strongly as the season has gone and is one to watch, has made the transition from back pocket to midfielder really quickly and can even go forward and have an impact.
Why:

#19 GWS – Meyrick Buchanan (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 176cm, Weight: 71kg, DOB: 16/03/1993
Recruited from:
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 40-undrafted
Profile: Brother of Amon. Didn’t test great at the combine, which isn’t great as a little fella trying to get drafted, but none the less he can play and his on field ability is what he will get drafted for if he receives the opportunity. Goal sense very good. Has a high football IQ and knows where to run. Decision making ability good. Big ball winner at TAC Cup level.
Why:

#20 Gold Coast – Lachlan Edwards (VIC – Fwd/Util)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 08/02/1993
Style: Michael O’Loughlin
Player comparison:
Profile: One of those super talented forwards. Skill level good. Very draftable. Forward with versatility. Needs to develop defensive side of game.
Why:

#21 Port Adelaide– Jarrad Dalton (VIC – KPD)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 92kg, DOB: 10/11/1986
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Has nice pace. Strong marking key defender. Has a nice long kick on him. Endurance needs work.
Why:

#22 Brisbane – Jack Hannath (SA – Ruck)
Height: 200cm, Weight: 93kg, DOB: 09/07/1991
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: Rookie-undrafted
Profile: Ruck prospect from a couple of years back. Has a high skill level for a ruckman. Wins possessions around the ground. Has shown good progress over the past two seasons in the SANFL and might be a draft chance.
Why:

#23 Adelaide – Cameron Shenton (SA – Fwd)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 27/09/1990
Recruited from:
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Player who kicks plenty of goals from limited opportunities. Big x-factor type who can really hurt you on the scoreboard. One criticism is consistency. Has had big games of 4, 5 goals. But needs to have that influence quarter by quarter, game by game which will come with increased endurance and work rate. Talent is there though.
Why:

#24 Melbourne - Tom Sundberg (VIC - Util)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 22/12/1988
Recruited from: Collingwood VFL
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: One of the best players going around in the VFL. Has had a seriously good year for the Collingwood VFL side before injury slowed him down in the end. Really versatile player who can play midfield, back or forward and play to a high level. Uses it so well on his left and rarely misses a target. Immediate player who is ready to play senior footy now.
Why:

#25 Richmond – John McCarthy (VIC – Mid)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 19/11/1989
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile:
Why: Ex Collingwood midfielder. Has been linked to Richmond.

#26 Fremantle – Alex Howard (WA - Def)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 20/06/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Physically very mature defender. I like some of the little things i’ve seen him do. Reads the play well. Strong marking defender. Does some of the little things well – smothering.
Why:

#27 Western Bull Dogs – Aseri Raikiwasa (SA – Def/KPD)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 91kg, DOB: 18/04/1993
Recruited from: Port Adelaide Magpies
Style: Harry O’Brien/Josh Gibson
Player comparison:
Profile: Undersized key position defender who is probably more of a 3rd tall at AFL level. Very strong already and plays a little taller than his height with his long arms and nice leap so it isn’t out of the question that he plays as a key defender at the next level. Not a strong mark but a very good spoiler down back. Reasonably high level athlete and a great size already! Has a really nice leap on him. Work ethic is there and has leadership potential having been South Australia’s U18 Vice Captain at the champs. Has in the past even had runs in the ruck and been quite effective but won’t have to do this at the next level. Second half of the season was a little underwhelming and might hurt his draft chances, but throughout the U18 champs was very impressed with what I saw. Deserves an opportunity.
Why:

#28 North Melbourne – Anthony Tipungwuti (VIC – Def/Util)
Height: 171cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 22/04/1993
Style: Leon Davis
Player comparison:
Range: rookie-undrafted
Profile: Really special player. Has sensational pace and enjoys taking opposition players on like few others can. Really evasive and can create time easily. Duel sided. Good skill set. Not a tall lad, but gee he can play! Still needs to build an endurance base but that will come. Can play back or forward and has a Leon Davis type feel to his game that makes him exciting regardless of where he plays.
Why:

#29 Essendon - Michael Florio (WA-Mid)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 28/02/1991
Recruited from:
Style: Isaac Smith
Player comparison:
Profile: Outside mid with very high level footskills and an incredible burst of speed. This year had the highest 20m sprint time coming in at 2.82seconds. As well as the speed Florio also has high level endurance. Not known for his hardness, but as an outside play has all the attributes you’re looking for and is worth a shot.
Why:

#30 St Kilda – Mitchell Wooffindin (VIC – Def/Mid)
Height: 178cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 03/02/1993
Style: Robert Harvey/Steven Baker
Player comparison:
Profile: Really solid, worker day type player who while I can’t ever see him being a star in this league I can certainly see him as a successful late draft selection who has a solid AFL career. Has a really solid, stocky type frame. Real hard worker on the field. Big work rate and endurance would have to be very good. Attacks the ball well. Enjoys tackling. Master of hitting up the short target over 15-20m, just seems to always hit it’s intended target but doesn’t seem as comfortable kicking over longer distances and doesn’t seem to have great penetration. Doesn’t seem comfortable using his left and would rather execute more difficult kicks on his right. Really good reader of the play. Deceptively fast and can sometimes provide really nice dash when in space.
Why:

#31 Sydney - Alex Greenwood (VIC – Def/Mid)
Height: 178cm, Weight: 71kg, DOB: 24/10/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Really nice left footer. Highly rated coming into the season. Really good clearance player and does some nice work in close. Really clean player and good decision maker.
Why:

#32 Carlton – Mark Baguley (VIC – Def/Util)
Height: 178cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 21/05/1987
Recruited from: Frankston
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: High character, hard working defender from Frankston. Skill level is good but what stands out more is his work rate and courage. Always goes hard at the ball and is pretty solid defensively.
Why:

#33 West Coast - Rhys Waters (WA – Fwd/Mid)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 14/10/1993
Recruited from: Subiaco Football Club
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Forward who represented WA at the U18 champs. Had some good moments. Shows some promise. Can also play through the midfield.
Why:

#34 Hawthorn - Trent Stubbs (NSW/Util)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 26/03/1992
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile:
Why: Collingwood stole Stubbs from Hawthorn, Hawthorn have the opportunity to steal Stubbs back.

#35 Collingwood - Daniel Farmer – Collingwood
Height: 189cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 22/07/1992
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile:
Why: Was on the Collingwood senior list in 2011. Except Collingwood to rookie him.

#36 Geelong - Luke Blackwell (WA - Mid)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 12/11/1986
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Has been consistently good in the WAFL for a number of years now. Just really hard to ignore his form and again this year has taken his game to yet another level of dominance. The thing that’s impressive about what he’s been doing this year is that he has really improved his tackling numbers. Too good to be playing in the WAFL. Belongs on an AFL list.
Why:

#37 GWS – Jay Lever (VIC - Ruck)
Height: 200cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 15/06/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Outside of Longer and Bolger is probably the next best ruck prospect. Can play some forward and get amongst the goals. Project.
Why:

#38 Gold Coast – Ben Darrou (VIC – KPD/Def)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 91kg, DOB: 25/11/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Really big bodied player. Ready to play sooner rather than later. Can play anywhere. Probably like him most as a defender though. Really strong mark overhead. Strong body. Has a nice kick on him. Can provide some run from defence. The thing I most like with Darrou though is his work off the ball. Does all the little things like off the ball shepherding and hard bumping that make coaches happy. If he can grow those couple of extra cm could be a really good KPD at the next level.
Why:

#39 Port Adelaide– Thomas Schwarz (SA- Mid)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 30/07/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Tough inside mid who has racked up some big numbers in the SANFL this season in a number of matches.
Why:

#40 Brisbane – Mitch Brewer (QLD – Ruck)
Height: 204cm, Weight: 119kg, DOB: DOB 31/07/1992
Recruited from: Broadbeach
Style: Shane Mumford
Player comparison:
Profile: Very strong ruckman. New to the game and from rugby background. Has shown allot of improvement in a short space of time which is nice to see and really picked up his game late in the year to go from nothing significant to a potential draft prospect. Ruckwork good and really improved as the year progressed. Particularly liked his work from boundary throw-ins, holds his body well and taps with effect to teammates. Really physical type and a big presence around the ground. Surprisingly good by foot and is reasonably co-ordinated for someone of his size. Skill level ok. Probably more of a rookie pick but well worth a shot!
Why:

#41 Adelaide – Lachie Neale (SA - Mid)
Height: 177cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 22/10/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Strong inside mid who played well during the U18 champs for SA. Smart player in close. High work rate. Really solid option. Good leader out on the field. Doesn’t stand out as much as some so might slide to rookie draft because he doesn’t necessarily have the flashy skill set or high end pace. But represents value as a rookie because he can be that high production mid. What impresses me with Neale is that he is a big game player, played some really good footy at the u18 champs and then in the SANFL U18 grand final pulled out another fantastic performance.
Why:

#42 Melbourne – Matt Suckling (SA – Mid)
Height: cm, Weight: kg, DOB:
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Strong inside midfielder who has been dominating the contested ball in the SANFL.
Why:

#43 Richmond – Addam Maric (VIC – Fwd)
Height: 176cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 18/04/1990
Recruited from: Melbourne
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile:
Why: Talk is Richmond will draft Maric.

#44 Fremantle – Dean Galea (VIC – KPF/Fwd)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 96kg,
Style:
Profile: Undersized but very powerful key forward. Plays taller than his height. Very strong and aggressive. Strong mark overhead and presents strongly at the footy. Has had a great year at VFL level.
Why:

#45 Western Bull Dogs – Jack Frost (VIC - KPD)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 25/02/1992
Recruited from: Williamstown
Range: Late-rookie
Profile: Key position defender who is the ideal height and has nice pace and a nice leap. Has really developed his endurance this year and now looks like a potentially really good choice. Strong overhead and shares that same lanky, skinny feel Dustin Fletcher has. Skills a work in progress, but improving. Unlucky not to get drafted last year but has had a strong year and looks a fair chance this year.
Why:

#46 North Melbourne – Piva Wright (VIC – Def/Util)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 94kg, DOB: 28/06/1993
Style: Josh Gibson
Player comparison:
Profile: Really physically strong player already. Good athlete who has great versatility and can be used as a shut down defenders, a marking target up forward or even as a strong ball winning midfielder. For a player of his size he has good athleticism. Like his kicking skills but when pressured ball use isn’t great. At TAC Cup level size certainly helps him dominate but with his versatility I do believe he can have a future at AFL level. Just that little bit more ready physically than most of the others. Really unique and unconventional type of player, but one well worth picking as a rookie.
Why:

#47 Essendon - John Mckenzie (TAS – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 177cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 03/06/1993
Recruited from: South Launceston
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Captained Tasmania in the u18 championships. Really solid inside midfielder and big ball winner. Wins all that hard ball. Good decision maker under pressure. Has great endurance which allows. Skill level very good for an inside player. Can also go forward and be used as a crumbing forward where he is also reasonably effective. But not a great athlete and not super tall so probably isn’t the most fashionable type. But will be a very solid selection.
Why:

#48 St Kilda - Alec Benbow (VIC - Mid)
Height: 173cm, Weight: 70kg, DOB: 21/01/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Short, but productive midfielder. Fast. Wins his own ball. Skills good. Good decision maker.
Why:

#49 Sydney - Darren Pfeiffer (SA - Mid)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 28/09/1987
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Ex Adelaide and Carlton player. Was always talented but when he first had the opportunity didn’t seem to want it enough. Has since played at SANFL level and has turned things around and grown as a person from all reports. Big time clearance player. Good ball user and makes good decisions. High work rate.
Why:

#50 Carlton – Brayden O’Hara (SA - Mid)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 04/11/1987
Recruited from: Central Districts
Style: Stewart Dew
Player comparison:
Range: 50-undrafted
Profile: Has a massive left foot kick on him. Uses it really well and just finds his targets consistently. Really good decision maker under pressure. Probably doesn’t get as much of it as he could but absolutely a class above SANFL level and belongs on an AFL list. Immediate player.
Why:

#51 West Coast – Graham Jetta (WA – Def)
Height: 175cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 11/11/1986
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Having a really good year in the WAFL. Playing as a small defender. Has really lifted his game over the past year and might just find himself on an AFL list.
Why:

#52 Hawthorn – David Mirra (VIC – Def)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 20/03/1991
Recruited from: Box Hill Hawks
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Medium defender who has impressed this year with some really good shutdown roles. Has a good leap and can play taller than his height. In one on one contests regularly holds his own physically and wins the contest. Mirra can also add a little offensively and is willing to generate some drive from defensive with his kicking and running games.
Why:

#53 Collingwood – Beau Black (NSW – Def/Util)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 10/01/1993
Recruited from:
Style: Alan Toovey
Player comparison:
Profile: This kid absolutely smashed the state screening testing. Standing vertical jump and running vertical jump were both the highest recorded this year which is super impressive. Speed and endurance also both good so he has the ability to matchup on a range of players. Has to this point in time looked most suited to playing down back as a small shutdown defender. Is a really willing worker down back and will stick to his man like glue. Has the ability to spoil everything that comes in his direction and doesn’t have concentration lapses so he really has the mentality to be a very good defender. Doesn’t generate as much rebound as you might like to see down back because he is so focused on containing his man, so he would be best suited to playing in a backline with a couple of rebounding options. Also marking ability not great and can do with some work, but I like the role playing potential Black possesses.
Why: How fun would it be to take a NSW/ACT Scholarship kid off Geelong’s hands after having taken Stubbs off Hawthorn last year.

#54 Geelong – Shaun Wyatt (VIC - Mid)
Height: 180cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 01/11/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Captain of Gippsland Power. Goes under the radar a little and doesn’t really stand out. But is a serious ball accumulator. Great work rate. Reads the play well. Generally a good user of the ball but at times during the U18 championships he seemed to fumble a little. One notable efforts from Wyatt was against the Northern Knights where he accumulated 48 disposals!
Why:

#55 GWS - Rick Ladson (VIC – Def)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 18/02/1984
Recruited from: Hawthorn
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile:
Why:

#56 Gold Coast - Max Warren (VIC – Mid)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 29/01/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Been one of the better juniors for a couple of years. Playing alongside guys like Patton and Crozier probably isn’t one who gets talked about, but is a consistent performer through the midfield.
Why:

#57 Port Adelaide - Coleman Schache (VIC - Mid)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 11/10/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Solid ball winner at TAC Cup level and gets solid numbers. Enjoys tackling.
Why:

#58 Brisbane - Sam Michael (QLD – KPP/Ruck)
Height: 199cm, Weight: 96kg, DOB: 05/07/1993
Recruited from: Redland
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Strong key position player. Good size. Strong mark overhead. Looks like a potential no.2 ruck option and looks allot more competitive and comfortable in the ruck than he does as a key position player interesting.Probably hasn’t backed up some of the form we saw at last years U18 champs which is why I see him sliding. Also is lacking in pace which hasn’t helped him as a KPP. Also lacks AFL IQ and doesn’t really have that awareness so whenever he gets it just kicks as long as he can hoping one of his team mates get on the end of it. From what I have heard Michael is a hard worker and prepares well so perhaps he could be a solid rookie option for a club who give him an opportunity.
Why:

#59 Adelaide - Rory Laird (SA – Def/Mid)
Height: 175cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 29/12/1993
Recruited from: West Adelaide
Style: Lindsay Gilbee
Player comparison:
Profile: Has surprising strength for someone his size. Really nice field kick. Has great vision. From what i’ve seen of him he looks really good down back. Not tall but I think he would be successful down back against some of the smaller forwards.
Why:

#60 Melbourne - Haydn Hector (VIC - Mid)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 08/03/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Midfielder with crazy endurance, broke the draft combine record last year as a 17 year old! Big time accumulator with big work rate. Strong overhead. Can play shut down role. Could probably keep working on efficiency as well as use on opposite foot.
Why:

#61 Richmond – Doug Morris (VIC – Mid)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 27/09/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Big accumulator. Captain of the Northern Knights. Averaging over 30 disposals per game. Among bests in every game for Knights. Gets really nice tackling numbers. Works hard both ways. Can get amongst the goals. Somehow didn’t manage to get a game for Metro disappointingly. But certainly his TAC Cup performances have been fantastic.
Why:

#62 Fremantle - Brad Dick (WA – Fwd)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 25/07/1988
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile:
Why: Has been training with Fremantle and word is they will draft him.

#63 Western Bull Dogs - Jacob Carger (SA - Util)
Height: 177cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 27/08/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Has a stocky type build. Has played most of his football down back to this stage as I understand it, but I actually really like what i’ve seen of him up forward and even looks like he could play through the midfield. High skill level. I like the way he attacks the ball. Solid mark overhead for size. Doesn’t look out of place up forward either.
Why:

#64 North Melbourne - Jordan Staley (VIC – KPF/Ruck)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 14/07/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Athletic type. Currently plays as more of a ruckman but will need to play as a KPP at the next level you’d think. Has potential to play that no.2 type ruck role while spending most of his time as a key forward. Strong marking and long kicking are the attributes he will get drafted off.
Why:

#65 Essendon - Ben Duscher (VIC - Mid/Fwd)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 83kg
Recruited from: Bendigo Bombers
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Long kicking midfielder. Duel sided. Strong mark. Good vision. Strong overhead. Another of those really draftable mature agers. Probably lacks a bit of pace for an outside type.
Why:

#66 St Kilda - Tobias Thoolan (VIC – KPD)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 99kg, DOB: 23/2/1990
Recruited from: Frankston
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Ex Collingwood player. Was a late bloomer and now that he has grown into his body is having a real impact at VFL level. Really added to his frame and has really developed very quickly which is the thing you look for in young KPPs. Ready to play now.
Why:

#67 Sydney - Simon Deery (VIC – Def/Util)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 18/09/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: TAC Cup form has been solid. Has some versatility. Probably more of a defender but can swing forward.
Why:

#68 Carlton - Matthew Jupp (WA - Def)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 28/09/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Defender who is a particularly strong contested grab.
Why:

#69 West Coast - Thomas Lee (WA– KPF/KPD)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 94kg, DOB: 02/01/1991
Recruited from: Claremont
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Talented key position player who has filled out from his Adelaide days and is now ready to play. Has the ability to play wherever he is needed and play there to a high standard. Is a reasonable athlete. Strong overhead and has a nice long kick on him.
Why:

#70 Hawthorn - Sam Gibson (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 81kg, 27/5/1986
Recruited from: Box Hill (VFL)
Style: Chris Knights
Player comparison:
Profile: Captain of the Box Hill Hawks. Is that goal kicking type midfielder with the powerful left boot. Has a bit of pace. Good at stoppages. Decision making can at times be a little iffy but looks like a good get and is a player who can play now and have a big impact immediately.
Why:

#71 Collingwood – Michael Hartley (NSW – KPD)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 94kg, DOB: 07/06/1993
Recruited from: Sydney Uni
Style: Simon Prestigiacomo
Player comparison:
Range:
Profile: Athletic key defender in the Presti mold. Real shutdown type. Has the closing speed, jumping ability and the instincts to play as that shutdown key defender. Hartley is best known for his shut down effort v Patton during the u18 champs. Really fantastic game on his part and did a sensational job to shut down this year’s likely no.1 overall selection. Fair bit of potential and one a number of clubs would likely have looked at as a mid draft option had Collingwood not had priority over him, so again well done Collingwood for finding and securing this kid at a young age through the NSW/ACT program.
Why:

#72 Geelong - Nic Maric (VIC – Fwd)
Height: 175cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB:
Recruited from: Norther Knights
Style: Adam Maric
Player comparison:
Profile: Similar to his brother. High skill level. Forward who gets amongst the goals.
Why:

#73 GWS - Setanta O’Hailpin (Ireland – KPP/Ruck)
Height: 199cm, Weight: 98kg, DOB: 18/03/1983
Recruited from: Carlton
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile:
Why:

#74 Gold Coast - Patrick Rose (VIC – Fwd)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 10/06/1986
Recruited from: Port Melbourne (VFL)
Style: Marc LeCras
Player comparison:
Profile: Forward who has been dominating at VFL level for long enough. Best forward in the VFL. Good enough to play AFL footy. Presents well at the footy. Knows where the goals are and rarely misses. Very agile and can dance around opposition players.
Why:

#75 Port Adelaide - Jimmi Savage (SA – KPF)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 09/10/1992
Recruited from: GWS
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile:
Why:

#76 Brisbane – Richard Newell (NSW/ACT – Mid)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 23/03/1993
Recruited from:
Style:
Player comparison:
Range:
Profile: Really promising run with player. Has shown this year that he can restrict the influence of strong opposition and looks suited to this role at the next level. Why Newell stands out is because of his athleticism. Is an elite distance running and his endurance is up there with the best in this draft class. Skills and decision making side of his game still a work in progress, but Newell has shown enough to get a spot on the Brisbane rookie list.
Why:

#77 Adelaide - James Craig (SA – Ruck/KPP)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 95kg, DOB: 18/04/1991
Recruited from: Adelaide
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile:
Why:

#78 Melbourne - Jaryd Cachia (VIC – Mid)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 08/05/1991
Recruited from: Carlton
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile:
Why:

#79 Richmond - John Heslin (Ireland)
Height: cm, Weight: kg, DOB:
Recruited from: Ireland
Style:
Player comparison:
Range:
Profile:
Why:

#80 Fremantle - Chad Sandilands (WA – Ruck)
Height: 205cm, Weight: kg, DOB:
Recruited from: East Fremantle
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Tall ruckman. Younger brother of Aaron. Still has growth left in him but won’t grow to be the giant his brother is. Big hitout ruckman. Around the ground needs work. Still has a long way to go.
Why:

#81 Western Bull Dogs - Brett Eddy (VIC - KPF)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 20/10/1992
Recruited from: Collingwood VFL
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Was having a seriously good seasons for the Collingwood VFL side until knee injury has put him out for the season. Regularly kicked 3 goals up forward and really showed some promise as a key forward.
Why:

#82 North Melbourne - Gavin Urquhart (VIC – Def)
Height: 189cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 18/05/1988
Recruited from: North Melbourne
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile:
Why:

#83 Essendon - Matthew O’Dwyer (VIC – Fwd/Mid)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 21/07/1988
Recruited from: Werribee
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Forward who has had a really good season at VFL level. Lively and good finisher around goal. Has versatility. Skill set very good and has great pace and ball winning ability.
Why:

#84 St Kilda - Jackson Coleman (VIC – KPF)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 18/12/1991
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Son of Glenn Coleman. Really strong, athletic key position forward. Been a serious goal kicker at Tac Cup level. Is obviously that little bit older but hasn’t really played allot of footy which is the attraction with Coleman. Big upside. Made the decision to play footy over cricket.
Why:

#85 Sydney - Dylan Orval (VIC - KPF)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 23/03/1992
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Key forward. Slightly undersized. Has had some injury troubles over the past two years. Has a nice long kick on him. Has a good leap and is very good overhead.
Why:

#86 Carlton - Tom Gordon (VIC - KPP)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 19/04/1992
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Ex Collingwood rookie. Was very quickly delisted after a very solid first season. Worth a shot as a rookie.
Why:

#87 West Coast - Tim Totevski (VIC - Fwd)
Height: 173cm, Weight: 66kg, DOB: 05/08/1993
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Really like Totevski’s game. Looks really draftable. Not tall but gives great tackling pressure as a forward and works really hard. Does the little things off the ball which coaches look for, so things like bumping opposition players to help make an open path for the ball carries. Kicking skills are good and can execute well under pressure.
Why:

#88 Hawthorn - Kyle Hartigan (VIC - KPD)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 93kg, DOB: 07/11/1991
Recruited from: Werribee (VFL)
Style: Brian Lake
Player comparison:
Profile: Mature key defender who is outstanding when it comes to beating his man one on one. Keeps getting better with every year at VFL level and it’s only a matter of time until he makes his way onto an AFL list. Holds his own in contests and reads the flight of the ball well. Really has the feel of a Brian Lake. Endurance and leaping ability both good. Skills average at best, but it’s terrible. Well worth a shot and I think he could turn out to be one of the better key position defenders in this draft.
Why:

#89 Collingwood - Caolan Mooney (Ireland – Mid/KPP)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB:
Recruited from: Ireland
Style:
Player comparison:
Range:
Profile: Collingwood’s new Irish rookie. Mooney is best known for his lightning pace. Word is he will be used as a forward so expect the club to work hard with him on his tackling ability. Long term though I think he could be fantastic on a wing with his pace. From what Collingwood say he might have broken some athletic records had he tested. Allot of promise.
Why:

#90 Geelong - Sean Tighe (VIC - KPP/Ruckman)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 09/01/1991
Recruited from: Werribee (VFL)
Style:
Player comparison:
Profile: Was unlucky to be overlooked in 2009. Has been progressing strongly since. Good kick for someone his size. Good at ground level.
Why:

The Pies delisted John McCarthy today. Thoughts Knightmare?

With the Collingwood link at Melbourne at St Kilda, would he fit in with either club or is he just not up to scratch? I seem to remember people being fairly high on him through his early days in the VFL.

McCarthy would be a good get for a club.

Could be a big part of a number of midfield rotations. Without a doubt is best as a midfielder - at Collingwood was mostly forced to play on a forward flank when in the senior side because the likes of Swan, Ball, Pendlebury and Thomas will always be well ahead of him.

For a number of seasons there struggled with injury but was healthy this year and had a very productive year playing mostly at VFL level with a few senior games where he didn't look out of place.

Wouldn't be surprised if Melb/St.K or ever Gold Coast with Guy McKenna as coach consider him. Certainly one of the better potential recycled players and could be a good immediate fit.

very good read Knightmare! just wondering if you had any footage of Fraser Mcciness as a lot of phantom drafts have Freo taking him with either pick 16 or 20??? sounds like a very good prospect and with his size and wight could possibly step straight in next year. thanks

Hopefully afl.com gets around to posting a short highlight clip or someone on youtube can put a package together.

Only really seen full games where he features.

Pretty sure Robb Kerr has stated that pick 47 will be a live pick for us Knightmare. I suspect Brown will be nominated as a "veteran outside the list" to make this happen.

Other than that. Great stuff.

Have heard that somewhere else also.

Will edit all that once I have a confirmed draft order.

Just wanted to include all the rookie ugprades for the time being.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that Ottens has retired, Geelong will look to use the pick you down for Bews (pick 81) as a live selection, pushing Bews to the next round. Wouldn't mind seeing Geeong select Ben Brown with that pick :)

#22 Carlton - Zyrus Manson (WA – KPF)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 24/04/1993

He is actually 191.4cm tall and 77.4kgs.

Recruited from:
Claremont
Style:
Player comparison: Zephaniah Skinner/Lance Franklin
Profile: The talent is there as is the production which makes Manson a deserving 1st round prospect. Has a massive running vertical jump as his draft combine score would indicate.
I will link this comment to another comment later.

#39 Western Bull Dogs – Jordan Lockyer (WA – KPD/KPF)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 15/06/1993
He is 191.5cm and 86.4kgs.

Recruited from:
West Perth Football Club
Style:
Range: 25-55
Profile: Really aggressive, physical player. You can tell he grew up in a footballing family. Undersized KPP who proved during the U18 Champs that he can play well down either end.
He is an undersized KPP, yet he is taller than Manson and heavier. He also can match Manson with his vertical jump and running jump. I would almost hazard a guess that Lockyer is quicker off the mark as well. He has better repeat sprints than Mason as well.

You do a huge job every year, but I find a few things amusing and how people keep jumping on board perceptions.

People keep going on and on about Manson being a potentially KPP and someone like Lockyer is an undersized player with question marks. As a recruiter, I would back Lockyer to play 100+ games over Manson any day of the year.

/jumps off Lockyer bandwagon.

I thought North Melbourne only has pick's 18 and 46
18 and 40, then 2 rookie upgrades yeah.

Confusion may have been caused by Rawlings retiring from the veterans list. We have no one to replace him, thus we get an extra rookie pick.

Would be surprised if Hawks go for McKenzie over Grigg but his footskills will be what determines this choice (happy with either but prefer Grigg)
Hopefully McKenzie will be there at Pick 38 (maybe Curran)

Rookie Pick - Rhys Waters

Matthew Buntine, Todd Elton, Shane Kersten, Sam Gordon, Mitch Brewer, Sam Michael, Matthew O'Dwyer.

I would be super happy with that, Can you give us Dobosz instead of Kersten?:D. I don't really think Kersten will be a KPP at AFL level and we have enough 3rd tall's.

Glad to see you have us taking Brewer( He and his family would prefer him to stay in QLD, but has absolutely not problem moving to get on a list.

Great job:thumbsu:

Knightmare, with Ottens now retired we'll be taking 5 live selections plus Bews with the 6th, unless we upgrade a rookie which there's been no news on happening so I doubt it will.

We've only delisted 2 rookies so we only have 2 rookie draft slots as things stand right now.

Great work on your drafts, quality as always.

I would be super happy with that, Can you give us Dobosz instead of Kersten?:D. I don't really think Kersten will be a KPP at AFL level and we have enough 3rd tall's.

What makes Kersten a third tall but Dobosz not a third tall?

If it is purely height, you may be interested to know Dobosz is only 190.6cm and Kersten is 190.5cm.

If it is another reason, please feel free to prefer the other option.

For those wondering about picks will update at some stage soon when I have the full pick list. Haven't taken the time to look through the ins and outs of each clubs vet list, but will get around to it soon.

Preseason draft picks will be added when I find them out - not going to go into guess work as to whether clubs will use or not. Chances are clubs such as Port Adelaide will use a PSD pick. Probably Fremantle. Will be others. Will be fixed up by draft day.

Just cannot see FedEx lasting to 26 but happy if he does and we take him. Ditto Kavanagh at 15

Grigg to Cats at 34? Ahhh shoot. Now he'll be a star

Thanks again

Talking about Docherty am considering rotating Forster to Richmond at 26, Ellis up to 17 (WBD) and Docherty up to 18 (NM). Might be one to look out for in my next update. Agree with you Docherty is quality.

Kavanagh I rate as an elite talent but since he has been injured for much of the year the AFL clubs from reports don't have him as high up their ratings as I'd argue they probably should. Word is at this stage that he could well be available at 15.

Grigg I just can't find a spot for anymore further up the draft. Could be a good immediate option if he slides. Not discounting his 1st round chances at all and could very easily go in the teens, but I wouldn't be shocked if he slides.

Now that Ottens has retired, Geelong will look to use the pick you down for Bews (pick 81) as a live selection, pushing Bews to the next round. Wouldn't mind seeing Geeong select Ben Brown with that pick :)

Geelong's ruck stocks are still ok. Simpson, West, Vardy. Bathie on the rookie list maybe.

Ben Brown would be a sensational selection. Rate him very highly. Great potential for development and was a favourite of mine last year also. I expect him to slip through the national draft and not sure a club even rookies him, but highly recommend him for any club looking for a key forward or potential no.2 ruck option.

You do a huge job every year, but I find a few things amusing and how people keep jumping on board perceptions.

People keep going on and on about Manson being a potentially KPP and someone like Lockyer is an undersized player with question marks. As a recruiter, I would back Lockyer to play 100+ games over Manson any day of the year.

/jumps off Lockyer bandwagon.

Manson from the games i've seen has appeared taller. Looked like he had a clear couple of cm over Fevola. Looks to be mid 190s. Wouldn't worry about height though. Is an elite talent and has the potential to be dominant.

Lockyer is MUCH more of a sure thing and could reach 100 games. I do consider him undersized, but he is good enough to play either as a KPP or as a 3rd tall down either end. Players of his type typically aren't 1st round options. Anywhere from probably 25 or so should come into the picture as a potential selection though.

Either could be good draft options. Just comes down to what you are looking for.

Would be surprised if Hawks go for McKenzie over Grigg but his footskills will be what determines this choice (happy with either but prefer Grigg)
Hopefully McKenzie will be there at Pick 38 (maybe Curran)

Rookie Pick - Rhys Waters

I think McKenzie is more versatile which is why I went with him. Can play mid or on a flank down either end no problem.
Both are good talents and probably both have similar ranges. Could go somewhere in the teens or as low as the 30s.

Hawthorn have decided not to take Curran. Reports suggest they don't consider him a top 50 quality selection. If slides to rookie draft then maybe you reconsider and possibly take him. But certainly would be a big surprise if Hawthorn take him in the national draft.

Matthew Buntine, Todd Elton, Shane Kersten, Sam Gordon, Mitch Brewer, Sam Michael, Matthew O'Dwyer.

Glad to see you have us taking Brewer( He and his family would prefer him to stay in QLD, but has absolutely not problem moving to get on a list.

Great job:thumbsu:

Didn't want any Brisbane fans coming back to me asking for me to add a few more KPPs.

Dobosz v Kersten is an interesting one. I tend to like Kersten on what he has produced to this point in time. Is possibly slightly short as a KPP but is essentially what you missed out on in Jack Darling last year, or as close to as you will ever get. Not a tall KPF, but can play fairly immediately which is probably what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back