Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its a big document and small spelling mistakes will happen but I found this one amusing

#71 Fremantle – Rookie Elevation (Nice Lower)

Ask Daisy - I dont think Nick was very nice to him.

Talking about Docherty am considering rotating Forster to Richmond at 26, Ellis up to 17 (WBD) and Docherty up to 18 (NM). Might be one to look out for in my next update. Agree with you Docherty is quality.

Kavanagh I rate as an elite talent but since he has been injured for much of the year the AFL clubs from reports don't have him as high up their ratings as I'd argue they probably should. Word is at this stage that he could well be available at 15.

Grigg I just can't find a spot for anymore further up the draft. Could be a good immediate option if he slides. Not discounting his 1st round chances at all and could very easily go in the teens, but I wouldn't be shocked if he slides.

Geelong's ruck stocks are still ok. Simpson, West, Vardy. Bathie on the rookie list maybe.

Ben Brown would be a sensational selection. Rate him very highly. Great potential for development and was a favourite of mine last year also. I expect him to slip through the national draft and not sure a club even rookies him, but highly recommend him for any club looking for a key forward or potential no.2 ruck option.

Manson from the games i've seen has appeared taller. Looked like he had a clear couple of cm over Fevola. Looks to be mid 190s. Wouldn't worry about height though. Is an elite talent and has the potential to be dominant.

Lockyer is MUCH more of a sure thing and could reach 100 games. I do consider him undersized, but he is good enough to play either as a KPP or as a 3rd tall down either end. Players of his type typically aren't 1st round options. Anywhere from probably 25 or so should come into the picture as a potential selection though.

Either could be good draft options. Just comes down to what you are looking for.

I think McKenzie is more versatile which is why I went with him. Can play mid or on a flank down either end no problem.
Both are good talents and probably both have similar ranges. Could go somewhere in the teens or as low as the 30s.

Hawthorn have decided not to take Curran. Reports suggest they don't consider him a top 50 quality selection. If slides to rookie draft then maybe you reconsider and possibly take him. But certainly would be a big surprise if Hawthorn take him in the national draft.

Didn't want any Brisbane fans coming back to me asking for me to add a few more KPPs.

Dobosz v Kersten is an interesting one. I tend to like Kersten on what he has produced to this point in time. Is possibly slightly short as a KPP but is essentially what you missed out on in Jack Darling last year, or as close to as you will ever get. Not a tall KPF, but can play fairly immediately which is probably what you need.
WE already have a super telanted medium forward in Karnezis would both Karnezis and Kersten work well in the same forward-line I am not saying your wrong but why not a small forward wingman type to help out Banfield

What makes Kersten a third tall but Dobosz not a third tall?

If it is purely height, you may be interested to know Dobosz is only 190.6cm and Kersten is 190.5cm.

If it is another reason, please feel free to prefer the other option.

Certainly not height, I went and had a look at Kersten and looked more of a third tall and did not play a good game, I only seen him twice so I am going off what I have seen. Would love some footage that proves me wrong.

I also had a look at Dobosz and when I compared them Dobosz looked a better option as a KPF. Again I will say I have only seen Kersten twice and Dobosz once(Maybe twice)

John Heslin

You can ink that name in as Richmond's last rookie pick, he's an Irish prospect.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rnational-rookie/story-e6frf9jf-1226030643870

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/riewoldt-helps-lure-irish-teen-to-afl-20110330-1cfjt.html

http://www.thescore.ie/heslin-the-latest-gaa-star-to-head-down-under-2011-03/

189cm nearly 90kg, will probably be tried as a half back flanker.

Here's the thread discussing him on the Richmond board:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=832446

Will add him in for next update for accuracy.

Have the rookie draft down more so as a list of other potential draft prospects, rather than a specific rookie draft. So things such as the number of selections each club will take in the rookie draft will not be correct. eg. Collingwood will have more selections while another club might only have 3 rookie delistings.

WE already have a super telanted medium forward in Karnezis would both Karnezis and Kersten work well in the same forward-line I am not saying your wrong but why not a small forward wingman type to help out Banfield

Kersten would be played as a FF. Stylistically is a KPF, not 3rd tall, even if ideally he is those couple of cm shorter than you'd like. Production very good. Just gone under the radar to some extent because he didn't play u18 champs this year.

Someone like a Haiden Schloithe could be a consideration as a small forward. Probably the only one I really like this year outside of those shortish mids who can go forward: the Clay + Devon Smiths.

Wingman could certainly be an option. Hoskin-Elliot+Sumner would be the two to target. Crozier if he slides to 30. Even a Jackson Merrett at 30 could be a very serious option and perhaps someone who receives consideration if Brisbane go this route.

Will be options whichever direction you go.

Certainly not height, I went and had a look at Kersten and looked more of a third tall and did not play a good game, I only seen him twice so I am going off what I have seen. Would love some footage that proves me wrong.

I also had a look at Dobosz and when I compared them Dobosz looked a better option as a KPF. Again I will say I have only seen Kersten twice and Dobosz once(Maybe twice)

I'd take Kersten over Dobosz. Younger and production now is much better. Better talent. More confident that he will make the grade.

Dobosz is an intresting prospect because he is so new to the game but he has a long way to go and I don't view him as a sure thing at all.

Probably saw Kersten on an off day - not a whole lot different as a FF to Fevola stylistically. WAFL production has been sensational and has as Chris25 continues to remind us produced near quality Manson number which I agree cannot be ignored.

Will add him in for next update for accuracy.

Have the rookie draft down more so as a list of other potential draft prospects, rather than a specific rookie draft. So things such as the number of selections each club will take in the rookie draft will not be correct. eg. Collingwood will have more selections while another club might only have 3 rookie delistings.

Kersten would be played as a FF. Stylistically is a KPF, not 3rd tall, even if ideally he is those couple of cm shorter than you'd like. Production very good. Just gone under the radar to some extent because he didn't play u18 champs this year.

Someone like a Haiden Schloithe could be a consideration as a small forward. Probably the only one I really like this year outside of those shortish mids who can go forward: the Clay + Devon Smiths.

Wingman could certainly be an option. Hoskin-Elliot+Sumner would be the two to target. Crozier if he slides to 30. Even a Jackson Merrett at 30 could be a very serious option and perhaps someone who receives consideration if Brisbane go this route.

Will be options whichever direction you go.

I'd take Kersten over Dobosz. Younger and production now is much better. Better talent. More confident that he will make the grade.

Dobosz is an intresting prospect because he is so new to the game but he has a long way to go and I don't view him as a sure thing at all.

Probably saw Kersten on an off day - not a whole lot different as a FF to Fevola stylistically. WAFL production has been sensational and has as Chris25 continues to remind us produced near quality Manson number which I agree cannot be ignored.

I thought I must have, Do you have any footage of him?

I would be really pissed off if Dodoro picked Newman over McKenzie because what I've seen of him is that his left foot could hit a target over 55 meters. Great effort otherwise :thumbsu:

I fairly certain that Collingwood will re-draft Daniel Farmer and Trent Stubbs in the rookie draft.

Also after drafting Witts, and having Ceglar and Mcnamara as ruck options, I don't see the point of drafting Daniel Currie who didn't show anything during his time in Sydney

Just a couple of things KM:

Tomlinson will not go Top 10 and you need to have another look at Sumner - you say he has shown no inside ability or similar - get yourself a copy of Vic Metro v SA - have a look at his clearance work in this game - sensational stuff against good opposition. 1st q was awesome.

Otherwise a sterling effort !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

knight. What do you think Of the SA ruckman Grundy? I cant see his name on your list...I thought he was a lock to get drafted?

Grundy's next year. He was eligible for the GWS mini-draft.

I would be really pissed off if Dodoro picked Newman over McKenzie because what I've seen of him is that his left foot could hit a target over 55 meters. Great effort otherwise :thumbsu:

Newman is probably more of a complete player. Hasn't received the hype and deserves allot more than he gets. McKenzie is probably the best kick in this years draft, but doesn't have such a complete game.

Rate Newman the better prospect. But either could be good picks for Essendon if available at 31.

I fairly certain that Collingwood will re-draft Daniel Farmer and Trent Stubbs in the rookie draft.

Also after drafting Witts, and having Ceglar and Mcnamara as ruck options, I don't see the point of drafting Daniel Currie who didn't show anything during his time in Sydney

I think you are right about Farmer + Stubbs - for this draft through at this stage mainly putting up some new names to think for draft consideration.

I also think you are right about us not going after another ruckman. But I still would none the less because I see best 22 potential in Currie, which I just don't in our existing (immediate) stocks in Wood/ Keeffe (who is still not strong enough and more of a key defender).
But obviously it will make the list more crowded with ruckman - McNamara to the wing, Witts to FF. But I don't really have an issue with this.

Just a couple of things KM:

Tomlinson will not go Top 10 and you need to have another look at Sumner - you say he has shown no inside ability or similar - get yourself a copy of Vic Metro v SA - have a look at his clearance work in this game - sensational stuff against good opposition. 1st q was awesome.

Otherwise a sterling effort !!

I'm actually tipping Tomlinson to go top 10 now. Really receiving big wraps from many AFL recruiters and with GWS needing to get some KPPs in, Tomlinson because of his versatility is an obvious prospect.
Can also see the possibility of Brisbane looking at him with pick 8.

Do have a copy of Metro v SA. Will take another look at it at some stage. Certainly tackles with regularity and isn't a soft player. But just doesn't win nearly as much of his own ball as I'd like him to as a likely top 10 prospect.

knight. What do you think Of the SA ruckman Grundy? I cant see his name on your list...I thought he was a lock to get drafted?

Top prospect. At this stage clear top 5 for 2012, could go as high as pick 2 if Port.A are looking for that ruckman early.

But not this year. Wait another year and you'll see him in my draft.

Great effort Knightmare...

but one thing....

I nearly choked when you compared Mitch Wooffindin to Robert Harvey. Wooffy is an absolute scrubber who has little to no chance of being drafted. Good trier, but thats it!

I do agree with this. Solid player, could be a role player at the next level but will always be that solid workman type.
If I was to do a player comparison maybe something like Shane O'Bree would be the type of thing I'd be hoping for out of Wooffindin.

But when I talk about style it's more the way they play rather than how good they will be.
If it was under player comparison then there might be reason to get excited.

I agree with you Knight on GWS taking Tomlinson at 7 but is there any chance GWS might also go Buntine at 5 and leave Longer at pick 6 and 8 for Port and Brisbane? If one of them pick him up (most likely Brisbane) they can go Bolger and Elton with two of their other top picks or it might pay off and Brisbane go for a mid at pick 8 and GWS use 9 for Longer.

I agree with you Knight on GWS taking Tomlinson at 7 but is there any chance GWS might also go Buntine at 5 and leave Longer at pick 6 and 8 for Port and Brisbane? If one of them pick him up (most likely Brisbane) they can go Bolger and Elton with two of their other top picks or it might pay off and Brisbane go for a mid at pick 8 and GWS use 9 for Longer.

There is the chance GWS let Longer slide. They'd have to take with pick 7 at the absolute latest if that is the plan.

A Buntine or Hoskin-Elliot could easily go top 5. Even Sumner potentially could go high.

The reason I have GWS taking Longer at 5 is to allow GWS to also take Tomlinson at 7 - before Brisbane come into the picture after the KPPs. Then from those picks 9-11 really focus on taking more bigs because if Brisbane don't go big at 8, we can be fairly certain they will at pick 12.

GWS have such a strong core group of midfielders already I decided to put a big focus on taking the best KPPs + rucks early to ensure that core group is built up in time for their premiership window.
Also next year there will be allot of quality mids so GWS can pretty easily complete their midfield next draft period if they want to add one more high level piece.

Elton I don't feel entirely comfortable picking early. But it's really a forced pick between either he or McInnes at 12 because GWS have taken the other better bigs.

If they take Buntine in the top 5 with Longer and pick Tomlinson at 7 I think they'll be letting Wingard slide to Port.

I'm actually tipping Tomlinson to go top 10 now. Really receiving big wraps from many AFL recruiters and with GWS needing to get some KPPs in, Tomlinson because of his versatility is an obvious prospect.
I disagree with this. I think GWS will draft purely on a best available basis with little regard to positions, and will not pick less skilled key position players over a more talented small. They have shown throughout their whole recruitment process that they are not concerned with short-term performance, and have fully devoted themselves to doing whatever will make them strongest in the long term. I think they will pick what they think are the 11 best players, and if there are no KPPs in there besides Longer and perhaps 1 other it wouldn't surprise me.

If they take Buntine in the top 5 with Longer and pick Tomlinson at 7 I think they'll be letting Wingard slide to Port.

Has been speculated GWS let Wingard slide in favour of a Hoskin-Elliot or possibly Buntine. Would be gifting Port.A if they do.

I disagree with this. I think GWS will draft purely on a best available basis with little regard to positions, and will not pick less skilled key position players over a more talented small. They have shown throughout their whole recruitment process that they are not concerned with short-term performance, and have fully devoted themselves to doing whatever will make them strongest in the long term. I think they will pick what they think are the 11 best players, and if there are no KPPs in there besides Longer and perhaps 1 other it wouldn't surprise me.

Will be interesting to see what GWS do.

Tomlinson at 7 might be considered best available. Has even been talk Port.A are looking at him with pick 6.

Who knows which approach GWS take. Will most likely come down to who they rate and might also include calculations on what will happen next year (eg. Whitfield) and probably looking at who fits into what they consider their core group (so the signings from other clubs as well as the likes of Cameron, Shiel, Treloar and Hampton among others) and get pieces who seem like good fits and players who might compliment these.

Hi there just on the tigers I think at pick 15 it will be best avaible and some players may slide alot due to needs of GWS ,but at 26 and 55 you can't see us going of KPP ?? I think we will use one pick for that .Cheers

Hi there just on the tigers I think at pick 15 it will be best avaible and some players may slide alot due to needs of GWS ,but at 26 and 55 you can't see us going of KPP ?? I think we will use one pick for that .Cheers

Certainly will be discussed.

Richmond could easily go KPPs with any of those picks. At 15 if there are no notable sliders might be the way to go. Could also be considered at 26 if there is one Richmond like, Jackson Paine would be a good fit if available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back