Autopsy 2024 Rd 8 Disappointing loss for Blues

Who played well for the Blues in Round 8 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Play kemp and risk being short in defence
Play Kennedy and risk being too tall in attack...but at least play footballers at the expense of balance.
Not sure playing Kennedy as a sub was the right way to go, one of our better users of the ball with footy nous would’ve been handy in the first 3 quarters.

Fantasia or Durdin who have little to no impact on the forward line would have been better options for sub.

Honest question was Williams ever any good at gws or did we buy potential ?? He cost us about 4-5 goald
Today plus the 4-5 last week
I was a little surprised when we got him as i didnt think he was in their top dozen players. Seems we took a big risk paying mid field dollars for a half back flanker.

Mind-boggling to give him a two-year deal when he's shown nothing to earn it. Been a massive disappointment the past couple of seasons.
I was surprised by that too. Thought a one year extension would have been enough. 2 years ago I thought he was going to be a real player, but I'm becoming less and less convinced each week now.

Last edited:
I dunno why anyone ever assumed he would be anything other than terrible.

I’ll put my hand up, I just a feeling he would turn his form in the right direction tonight.

He has a lot of skill and know how he just can’t seem to get near it so far.

As for the rest, we got beaten around a bit tonight. Maybe our structure is fragile at the moment with out Saad, Gov and our pressure was lower than we want.

Still a long way to go and the team/club are going to be very disappointed with the last 3 losses because we have fallen below the level we are capable of.

It is definitely not time to be dropping our collective heads, players and supporters!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disappointing loss. Lucky not to lose by more.

A lot of people are blaming our lack of pace, but I think the issue is at least as much about smarts. When you're making the smart position or picking the smart option then you make the opposition react to you and look quicker. Unfortunately most of our high footy IQ players are out injured: Doc, JSOS, Martin, Saad, even Fog to an extent. If it wasn't for Newman we'd be even worse off.

Given our injuries I understand why we're having to play both Fantasia and Durdin, but there's really no excuse to have them both as starting players while someone like Kennedy is the sub. Poor selection choice there.

Harry had a poor moment at the end but apart from that was generally good. Kicked 4 and always willing to get stuck in with tackles and pressure. Charlie could learn a bit from him on that front.

Weitering excellent. Cuningham a decent return. Owies did his job. TDK did OK forward but still has work to do in the ruck. Midfield in general is the biggest source of our problems. Needs to lift.
A guy you would pay on looks but be bitterly disappointed by the actual outcome. Contributed too many turnovers tonight.

Bottom 6 players in today’s game for tackles - all CARLTON

Cottrell = 0
Durdin =0
Curnow = 0
Young = 0
Cowan = 0

+

Fantasia = 2
Owies = 2

Guess we know who will be omitted next week!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pendlebury free inside 50 in the last.

That’s our night.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Irked me acres palmed it off and cunners wasn't fast enough to pick him up. Irked me Boyd ball watched instead of guarding space in front of the lead. Irked me Maynard stood next to Elliot for an age before getting the handball and kicking the pies first. Irked me that that happened with Frampton and noble again in the centre. Other teams you see the small forwards collapse back down and pressure all of those instances. Ours never. Wtf are they doing

5 individual goal scorers to their 11.

F*** me! There is a clear over-reliance on our talls.

And Owies is most certainly the best of our small/medium forwards. He can be plucky. But at least he has goal sense.

What on Earth do Durdin and Fantasia have here? Especially the former who we just signed for a further 2 seasons. What are their strengths exactly?

No analysis, that was just a sh*t full performance, lacked any composure and looked like a team of lazy players.
How we can leave a player like Pendlebury 30 mts on his own inside 50 is just mind blowing.
Cunners was nearest blue player and he was around 15 m away guarding empty space

Minds not on the job

In lala land at crucial moments

H mindlessly kicking it into a hotspot in the dying minutes

We arent too far off - we just lack some footy smarts

I mean it in the sense of he'll gravitate to the ball isntead of anticipate the drop or next possession. You can see it in the daicos winning goal. They're next to each other and there's a fumbly contest so Walsh sucks towards it slightly and daicos stays outside. Of course there's luck in it but Walsh didn't need to suck in watching the ball. He had to stay man conscious. He wasn't.
So a ball winner rather than watcher.

We weren't protecting a lead. We needed to win that contest.

Voss was clearly upset on the bench… gave Cerra an earful. Mouthguards at training? Probably get another 5 injuries.
He was pissed … I’m no lip reader but he was saying something along the lines of move the f ball forward not back … another stage had his heads in his hands … I was thinking now he knows how we feel for the past 30 years

S
I thought Charlie has an elite tank? So why tf is he always wrestling and/or playing behind?

Why?

WHY???!!!
DerWayne on SEN during the week asked him if he was going to move around more and he was very evasive with his answer…said he’d look into it…I reckon he’s injured..100%

I laughed a few times this week when people thought we would walk through Collingwood .. they won the premiership for a reason last year … they killed us and we were lucky the scores were even a minute to go … mckay played well but that last kick reminded me of Durdin in 2022 …. How many times did Hewitt go back into traffic and get caught and lots of our goals were against the play …
We need some speed .. we need curnow to get on his bike and how good was daicos.
Honest question was Williams ever any good at gws or did we buy potential ?? He cost us about 4-5 goald
Today plus the 4-5 last week

Every time this board gets irrationally overconfident against sides that have been very, very good in the past few years, I always cringe and get very nervous.

Heaps of disrespect for the premiers from the last 2 AFL seasons over the past 2 weeks respectively here, and look what the results were.

I know there are a bunch of supporters like me who will always be perennially wary, at least until we achieve success. But geez there are others who seem to get ahead of themselves way too easily.

We have the building blocks but geez the game plan needs some work, we have a fair way to go.

We did well to have a chance at winning that with 2 minutes left, Pies were much better after half time, didn't put us away though. We've headed down last year's path of contested dominance at the cost of turnover dominance. We'll win our share but not the whole thing if we don't right the balance again. Saad and Gov picking a few holes in the opposition set up will help though. Think we might need to give a couple of our A graders a rest soon, some sore bodies out there.

Back